Is it worth buying WoW?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Sslasher

Sslasher

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 06:05 PM

I just bought an iBook, 1.33 mhz, 512mb memory, etc.. and want to get into gaming a little bit with it.  I am really interested in World of Warcraft but I am not sure if purchasing is worth it if the frames are really bad.  Anyone have any experience with a machine of my caliber?

Thanks.

#2 NeoWolf

NeoWolf

Heroic

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 06:37 PM

I was running it on an iMac G4 800MHz Geforce2MX 768MB ram. It wasn't a dream but it was still fairly pretty and I was able to level up pretty high. Since then I now have a mini, 1.42GHz, Radeon 92000, 1GB ram, and it's even better. You'd be a little inbetween, over all I think it'd run decently. The only thing you won't be able to handle are large scale raids. From what I've read even top end Macs get some serious slow down, which most lower end machines just can't handle. However pretty much all the quests and dungeons will work great. I've had a blast playing it.

#3 tbmaddux

tbmaddux

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:19 AM

I have had luck with a 12" PB G4 that is older and a slower processor than your iBook.  It's not much good in Ironforge on a crowded day, even with most settings turned down, but I have successfully fought without having the game become totally unplayable.

Have any friends who own the game?  It ships with a 10-day free trial inside, so if they're willing to give it to you and install on your machine then you can try it out, see how things work for you.

#4 Lumbergh

Lumbergh

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 04:35 PM

tbmaddux, on May 4th 2005, 10:19 AM, said:

I have had luck with a 12" PB G4 that is older and a slower processor than your iBook.  It's not much good in Ironforge on a crowded day, even with most settings turned down, but I have successfully fought without having the game become totally unplayable.

Have any friends who own the game?  It ships with a 10-day free trial inside, so if they're willing to give it to you and install on your machine then you can try it out, see how things work for you.

View Post

Have a DP 800 G4 w/Geforce 3.  Worked alright except for orgrimmar, and anymore than a few alliance ganking me, lags hardcore.

If you're a PVE-er I'd say sure, if not...do like I'm doing...buying a new mac :)

#5 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 11:42 PM

even on good PC's the game lags a fair bit when in large PvP battles, which can happen on PvE servers as well as PvP servers (just less frequently i suppose).

but for most of the time, you should be able to play fine. on my AlBook 1.25GHz / 768MB / 9600/64MB, i hold a steady 20FPS in most situations, which is quite playable.

#6 Katherine

Katherine

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 05:04 AM

I currently play on a 1st gen 1Ghz 17" Powerbook,  Performance wise i get around 20-30fps with the lowest detail settings.  This is perfectly playable, but as mentioned the Lag in IF (or ogrimar for horde) can be terible (i sometimes get 1fps or even get discconected due to the lag!) but this effects most players of the game.  Also don't expect to engage in much PvP as this tends to be very laggy too and impossible to do properly on a low speced machine.  I would advise upgrading the ram if you can afford it as WoW is a RAM hog and eats memory (It uses my full 1GB and creates atleast 1GB of Swap).

#7 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 03:39 PM

I've been playing with the latest patch on the test servers. the game seems to handle crowds a lot better in this latest patch, which was the major cause of lag and slowdown. no ETA on when this patch will be delivered out of beta. it might be a week or two since it is a pretty major one, implementing the Battleground and a bunch of class balances.

much like OSX, WoW performance seems to improve with every release.

#8 OneButton

OneButton

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 11:22 PM

i have a pb (see my sig) with the same speed G4 as you do.  I play the game at the default and the default is pretty low end.  But on default the game runs pretty darn well.  of course i'd be uncomfortable playing at this framerate with a fps, but for a point and click type deal i'm pretty happy with the performance considering i'm playing such a graphically intense beautiful game on a laptop.

only problems you may have is with large towns... the choppiness can get a little annoying in bad areas.
12" Powerbook 1.33 G4, 1.25gig RAM, Combo drive, 60gig 4200 rpm HD, 64mb nVidia Geforce FX go5200

Current Mac games in process of finishing: UT 2004

#9 tjbenc

tjbenc

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 12:27 AM

Sslasher, on May 3rd 2005, 05:05 PM, said:

I just bought an iBook, 1.33 mhz, 512mb memory, etc.. and want to get into gaming a little bit with it.  I am really interested in World of Warcraft but I am not sure if purchasing is worth it if the frames are really bad.  Anyone have any experience with a machine of my caliber?

Thanks.

View Post

Umm yes .. i play on my 1.4 mac notebook .. it fly's just make sure to turn down the graphics a bit they really added detail and most pc cannot handle it but the mac seem to do really well but play with the setting.

60 Horde Undead Priest Kraghar
60 Alliance Warrior gnome Kraghar Sergeant Major .. -- YES ill own ya

#10 maccer

maccer

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 03:29 PM

If you've got 512 MB or less, my advice is to BUY MORE RAM!

I've got a Powermac G5 (dual 2 GHz) with Radeon 9600XT. Up until today, I had the stock 512 MB of RAM installed. WoW always lagged big time in IF. And I was terrified the first time I tried to play Battlegrounds. Arathi Basin was almost totally unplayable due to the slow frame rate.

Today, I installed another 2 x 512 MB (a total of 1,5 GB). And what a change!

- You can start playing as soon as you have logged in (before, I had to wait 30-60 secs before the hard drive stopped reading/writing data)
- The lag in IF is as good as gone! No more falling down in the bank/AH gap after login!
- Battlegrounds are fully playable! Tried Arathi Basin and had lots of fun!
- Loading times (battlegrounds, continent changes) are noticeably faster.
- Switching from windowed to fullscreen is somewhat faster
- When flying from IF, the lag is almost gone! Earlier, I maybe had a few screen updates, and the next thing I knew was that I was way outside IF already.

I believe 1,5 GB is the way to go. When looking at the activity monitor after logging in with a horde char, running around a bit, and then logging in with my lvl 60 druid in IF the system had less than 500 MB of free memory. That is, if I would only have 1 GB of RAM, it would all be used up already. I'm not saying that 768 MB or 1 GB won't improve game-play, though. As other people have said, any extra memory will probably help.

#11 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 November 2005 - 04:43 PM

See this thead. I believe that download includes a Mac shortcut. I'm not sure if it includes or how you will get the info to start up the temp account. Quite a large download but manageable if you have a hi-speed connection.

-Hunt'n

#12 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 16 November 2005 - 03:23 AM

maccer, on November 15th 2005, 10:29 PM, said:

If you've got 512 MB or less, my advice is to BUY MORE RAM!

View Post

While true, the difference on a G4 won't be as noticeable as on the G5. 512 is still a bit short for a G4, but 512 is really below minimum on a G5. When I upgraded my Dual 867 G4 from 512MB to 1GB I never noticed that much... but when I got my Dual 2.5GHz G5 with 512MB, it was actually slower than the G4 at several tasks (some games included) until I upgraded it to 1.5GB (which gave me a whole new computer overall).

I play WoW on the G5 as well as a 1.33GHz PowerBook G4 with a Radeon 9700 Mobility and 512MB RAM, and besides Ironforge and Orgrimmar the PowerBook never has a problem to keep up (at somewhat lower settings).
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#13 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 01:01 PM

I play regularly on a 1.2 gig iBook with the 32 MB Radeon 9200, and the only place I suffer horrible lag is in Ogrimar. Otherwise, it's been great.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#14 Macs Rock

Macs Rock

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 08:29 PM

Get WoW its the best game ever

#15 damondg

damondg

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 08:33 PM

WOW worth buying, Yes.  but probably only as long as there is not another viable Fantasy-RPG-MMO for mac, and then only for awhile.

The  lvls 1-20 are great.  This appears to be the part of the game they completed.  The rest of the game is still in the works.  20-40 is sketchy in places.  These are the level where you start to realize that they have not filled out these areas and are compensating by filling it with unimaginative farming quest.  "Go kill X and bring back Y number of Z".  Oh we forgot to mention  that there x's are hard to find and they rarely if ever drop any Z's.  (IE spend 6+ hours wandering around doing the same boring thing over and over again).   This is also where you find that unless you are in a guild and play more than 20 hours a week you just are not going to be able to keep up with those that do.  After this it become even worse.  I had one quest for 96 items which appear to drop less than 25% of the time.  As such it was well over 6 hours!  After lvl 40 if you do not do instances you will also not be competative in PVP as you will not have the gear to make you competative (actually true for much lower too).  To have much hope of doing instances, especially the higher lvl one you have to be in a guild.  Trying to pick up is even more time consuming and rarely works.

As a Fantasy RPG, it only supplies the graphics.  There is not depth to the races, in my opinion the core of Fantasy.  A Gnome varies insignficantly from a Troll.  Both can use all the same equipment and are just as effective doing so.  IF this was a flight simulator you could choose any airplane you wanted, but they would all fly the same.  Barrel role in the 747 no problem.

I have been play since before the game was released and had great expectations.  After a year I have started buy other games.  Still a great acheivement for Blizzard, but very disappoint in the choices they have made, the dirrection they are going and the longterm future of the game.

This was only confirmed with the announcement of the expansion.  What you still have not provided all the content you said you would when you released the original game, fixed lagg or the numerous bugs!

#16 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 04:21 PM

damondg, on December 4th 2005, 08:33 PM, said:

As a Fantasy RPG, it only supplies the graphics.  There is not depth to the races, in my opinion the core of Fantasy.  A Gnome varies insignficantly from a Troll.  Both can use all the same equipment and are just as effective doing so.  IF this was a flight simulator you could choose any airplane you wanted, but they would all fly the same.  Barrel role in the 747 no problem.

View Post

The more I think about this statement the more I see its truth. Racial differences are minimized. Starcraft had substantial differences in the 3 races and required substantial differences in game play to succeed. For all intents and purposes the only differences that effect WoW game play are the classes.

-Hunt'n