Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 30 April 2005 - 03:37 AM

My impressions:

* The installer doesn't recognise RAID volumes created by Panther and can't convert them to the new format (Apple RAID 2.0). I had to turn half of my mirrored pair into a normal single disk volume to install. I then activated RAID under Tiger and rebuilt the mirror. This could be a big problem for people with striped RAID since you can't just chop it in half.

* Activity Monitor refuses to launch because a framework is missing, /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/GraphKit.framework/Versions/A/GraphKit.

* MSN in Fire 1.5.1 didn't work because libssl has changed. I built my own which I'm currently using, and a 1.5.2 release should be out soon.

* The Ogg Vorbis QuickTime component doesn't work with QuickTime 7. I've heard that this applies to Panther too. So I can't use iTunes to listen to about half my music now.

* Gaming benchmark results pretty much agree with QuicksilverG5's. In my subjective opinion, NWN seems smoother now -- the occasional bits of chunkiness that used to happen are gone. I think minimum framerates have improved more than maximum ones.

* Code produced by GCC 4.0 is fast. Autovectorize doesn't improve things in all cases though, so it should be used selectively in conjunction with profiling. I'd be interested to see how much benefit current games would see if they were recompiled with GCC 4.

* The "big" new features are all suitably spiffy -- although the Spotlight interface could use some tweaking to improve its usefulness.

* It's at least 25% Snappier™. :D

All in all, a solid upgrade despite having some rough edges.

#22 macpete

macpete

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Steam ID:pcristofol

Posted 30 April 2005 - 06:06 AM

Here are my observations so far:

- I love the new OpenGL gamma ... I find that the colors are more vivid and some rendering effects are much more realistic (for example, with my old Radeon 9600/64 shaders in WoW are wonderful)

- Dashboard widgets use an awful lot of RAM (having a dozen of them selected during a WoW session isn't wise decision)

- sometimes, certain applications that use lots of RAM and CPU time (like WoW or iMovie HD) start running jerkily on my desktop G4 (MDD dual 1.25, 1 Gig of RAM) after a couple of hours

- maybe I only need to run some maintenance scripts :D

(I'm waiting for a compatible release of Onyx)

Pietro

Pietro Cristofoli
Ora d'Aria Team
tumblr

-------------------

#23 LordOfAllTerror

LordOfAllTerror

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 08:30 AM

When ever I try to play WoW my computer will start to make a high pitched sound. I'm running a dual 2.5 Ghz with a Geforce 6800 ultra. Tiger has seemed to break Quake2 for me as well. I played with core image and it was cool. It is alot faster and I love it. I hope quake2 will be fixed soon or a new app is made for it. I'll probably do a clean install later

#24 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 08:44 AM

Quake 2 works fine for me as long as I use the digital out from my Revolution 7.1.  If I use the analog out, I get the high pitched whine.  Could be a driver issue.

I'm having no audio issues with WoW.  Open up the Apple MIDI Setup utility and make sure the sample rate is set properly.

Activity Monitor opens up just fine for me, but I did an Upgrade rather than a clean or archive/install.
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#25 kalashnicov86

kalashnicov86

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 09:46 AM

Here is my testing

Halo 1.5.1 :
Panther 48.03, 45.97, 49.50 fps
Tiger 45.40, 49.69 fps

Doom 3 :
Panther 24, 24.5
Tiger 24.7, 24.7

Kinda disappointed, i was hoping for improvements, but all the rest rocks

Barefeats said there was a 42 % boost for Doom3, kinda weird  :huh:

#26 lordtom4

lordtom4

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 11:48 AM

I'm working on an iMac G5 and I have to say I'm quite impressed....
I got a huge performance boost in Call of duty (like an 15 fps increase), tiny performance boost in halo and UT2004 and no boost in doom 3!

And they seemed to fix the lens-flare bug in CoD...finally

I LOVE the new features...apple has done it again

#27 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 11:52 AM

kalashnicov86, on April 30th 2005, 08:46 AM, said:

Kinda disappointed, i was hoping for improvements, but all the rest rocks
Barefeats said there was a 42 % boost for Doom3, kinda weird  :huh:

View Post

Is your computer a G4 or a G5? The Doom 3 increases were on a G5.

#28 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 02:37 PM

> When ever I try to play WoW my computer will start to make a high pitched sound.

Is it caused by your (CRT) monitor?  (Easy test: turn off the monitor and see if noise goes away.)

If so, my guess would be that the game is now selecting a refresh rate that produces interference with your speakers. Move the speakers further away, or select a different refresh rate or a different screen resolution to play in.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#29 lordofgain

lordofgain

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 03:52 PM

More stuff to report.
So far Freefall, Stuffit 9.0 std and Ucontrol don't work.
The good news for me being left handed is that I no longer need Ucontrol because 10.4 FINALLY has the capability to switching the primary mouse buttons.. YEA!
NWN does seem to move smoother also.

#30 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 08:06 PM

Stuffit 9.0 works fine . . . maybe you didn't try a fresh install.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#31 lordofgain

lordofgain

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 09:00 PM

QuicksilverG5, on April 30th 2005, 07:06 PM, said:

Stuffit 9.0 works fine . . . maybe you didn't try a fresh install.

View Post

Hey Quicksilver,

I downloaded 9.0.1 and all is well

Freefall is fine too but I had to do a fresh install as the Archive/Install option doesn't copy everything over.

#32 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 11:20 PM

Back up your data before upgrading, kiddies.

I tried to re-partition the drive on my dual 2.0 G5 using iPartition. Everything went well until I launched WoW, got a kernel panic, and now my drive is completely hosed. Can't even run Disk Warrior.

Sigh.

Atticus
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#33 kalashnicov86

kalashnicov86

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 02:14 AM

placebo, on April 30th 2005, 06:52 PM, said:

Is your computer a G4 or a G5? The Doom 3 increases were on a G5.

View Post

Yes i have a G5 dual 2.5
The only difference with Barefeats computer is the Gfx. I have a 9600 XT and he has a X800
Maybe apple included new drivers with Tiger, any idea ?

#34 Mattg

Mattg

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 10:17 AM

I'm not trying to be really negative, but I simply cannot find a single reason to upgrade. It's not any faster, has no new features any of us need for productivity, and has no major overhauls to the prevailing flaws it already has.

I seriously don't know why Apple put this upgrade out. This seems like for of a point release than anything else.

I write this because i used to be the number one fan of OS upgrades. Hmmmm...But now that i think about it, going from 10.0 to 10.1 was a necessity because of the speed increase (a raging understatement). From 10.1 to 10.2  because as production OS, 10.1 was a joke. And finally from 10.2 to 10.3 to get a finder that wasn't completely ass back wards. (remember the Desktop was buried 3 levels down!?)

So in retrospect, 10.3 was the first useful OS apple put out that could be considered producing friendly. Keyword, production.

Now we get 10.4 and what does it give us? Widgets? How do does help us at work? The new save as PDF-X is nice, but any press pros will use Distiller anyway. The new Quicktime? Live refresh while resizing, jeez, finally. The new codec? remember Pixlet? Good stuff but hardly mainstream. The unix-under-the-hood stuff is nice, but with the notable exception of CUPS Printing in 10.3 nothing us movie/print/animation/design people need.

I don't know, I just find that the finder still needs a lot of work and this release hasn't done anything about it, and I'm pissed.

With the Windows world constantly nipping at our heels we need true innovation, and this release isn't it. In fact, I don't know what this release is.

#35 Lucian

Lucian

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3028 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 10:30 AM

Mattg, on May 1st 2005, 04:17 PM, said:

blah blah blah I haven't used Tiger first hand but I'm complaining anyway blah blah blah.

View Post

Seriously, use Tiger before you criticize it.
I live in Mexifornia.

#36 Mattg

Mattg

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 11:19 AM

Lucian, on May 1st 2005, 09:30 AM, said:

Seriously, use Tiger before you criticize it.

View Post

Why?
http://arstechnica.c...cosx-10.4.ars/9

Check out the bottom of the page and watch the video.

That's what I'm talking about. And Lucian, damn, what is your problem?
Their is nothing worse than someone who can't take criticism constructively.

Do you feel special when you try 'n belittle someone with harsh disregard or is it part of a larger personality problem? You need help. Get out more, get a girlfriend, find some friends. Just do something.

#37 Mattg

Mattg

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 11:59 AM

From the same ArsTechnica Article:

The Finder (not really) revisited
Earlier, in the metadata section of this article (it seems so long ago, I know), I wrote about leaving the topic of metadata behind as Mac OS X's metadata features stagnated. At a certain point, everything that can be said has been said, and all that's left is hope, however dim.

With the introduction of Tiger, the Mac OS X Finder has entered this stage of its existence. The Tiger Finder does not include any significant new interface features beyond those added in service of Spotlight, and as we've seen, even those suffer from the now-expected Finder malaise.

Over the years, the Mac OS X Finder has gained a well-deserved reputation as the least pleasing bundled Mac OS X application. It has been called the most widely used piece of abandonware on the Mac platform. While some people like it, few love it, and many hate it.

In the Macintoshian Achaia forum here at Ars, the abbreviation "FTFF" is now used without explanation. It stands for "Fix the F***ing Finder," and it shows up often in Mac OS X wish-list threads. (And if you think my long-running criticism of the Finder makes any Ars forum opinions inherently biased, you don't know the Mac Ach.)

To a casual observer, this might appear a bit extreme. The Mac OS X Finder seems, if not glamorous, then at least benign. What's the big deal? The bad feelings about the Finder don't spring from a single source. There are at least three distinct threads of Finder dissatisfaction, usually appearing in combinations of two or more in any given Finder malcontent.
Read on:
LINK

Lucian, I suppose this guy should "use the thing first" too? Oh wait, he has. Blah Blah Blah. Dumb ass.

#38 Siriusfox

Siriusfox

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1148 posts
  • Steam Name:opensiriusfox

Posted 01 May 2005 - 01:21 PM

Tesseract, on April 30th 2005, 02:37 AM, said:

* The Ogg Vorbis QuickTime component doesn't work with QuickTime 7. I've heard that this applies to Panther too. So I can't use iTunes to listen to about half my music now.

View Post

You can VLC from apple to play Ogg, WMV, and many other files. That may help until an upgrade comes. But VLC doesn't have the best interface. (VLC is available at apple)

What makes me unhappy is I need a new licence to use the super duper features in QT7. Because of the new H.264 codec. :crying:
20'' iMac Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 10.6.5, 2GB RAM, 256MB ATI X1600

"Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog." -Doug Larson

#39 lordofgain

lordofgain

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 01:32 PM

Mattg, on May 1st 2005, 10:19 AM, said:

Why?
http://arstechnica.c...cosx-10.4.ars/9

Check out the bottom of the page and watch the video.

That's what I'm talking about. And Lucian, damn, what is your problem?
Their is nothing worse than someone who can't take criticism constructively.

Do you feel special when you try 'n belittle someone with harsh disregard or is it part of a larger personality problem? You need help. Get out more, get a girlfriend, find some friends. Just do something.

View Post

But didn't he also praise the way that the kernal is maturing in this OS? I think thats what I was getting out of it.

"With Tiger, Apple is finally ready to put some kernel interface stakes in the ground. For the first time, there are stable, officially supported kernel programming interfaces (KPIs). Even better, there's an interface versioning mechanism and migration policy in place that will ensure that the pre-Tiger situation never happens again."

isn't that good news?

#40 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 01:42 PM

joefox, on May 1st 2005, 07:21 PM, said:

What makes me unhappy is I need a new licence to use the super duper features in QT7. Because of the new H.264 codec. :crying:

View Post

If you pirated the code, then it won't work because Apple eventually learns which codes have been pirated and disables them.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com