77 replies to this topic

#1 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 28 April 2005 - 02:30 PM

Hey, I just finished installing Tiger and getting my settings set so that I'm not going crazy.  I love doing that!

I'll post my Halo benchmarks as soon as I get a chance, but right now, it looks like the fears of slow Finder performance (at least on my machine) are not true.  Everything feels just as snappy, and some things are faster.  Mounting .dmg files is MUCH faster--the verification process takes about a second instead of a few seconds.  

Like I had hoped, the Pioneer DVR-109 is now fully supported (ie, no spindown issues), but iTunes still won't burn discs over 24x speed.

--4/28 3:15 PM

Holy crap!  Spotlight is FAST--saaawweeeeeeet!

--3:30 PM

(much later)

Well, I have to say that everything is (as far as I've tested) at a minimum, just as fast as it was on a clean install of 10.3.9.  Mail is extremely snappy, and I'm liking the new interface.  I haven't run into a single problem with anything that worked on Panther.  It's interesting to note the new processor control panel which lets you disable processors and processor napping.

Since when does Apple send you Mac OS X without iMovie, iDVD, and iPhoto?

--8 PM

4/29

Here's my Halo timedemo performance scores.  Note, these are with everything maxed at the specific resolution quoted, with lens flare low, VSYNC off, and no FSAA.  Also, note that I'm using a  different version of the X800, so these scores should be somewhat lower (and not comparable to) the retail X800XT.  Because of that, I've included the latest Panther benchmarks on my machine as well for comparison purposes.  Enjoy!

<<Standard Tests on Halo 1.5.1 (Advanced Shaders)>>

Panther/Tiger

640x480
66.34 / 67.77 fps

800x600
63.82 / 65.59 fps

1024x768
58.78 / 59.88 fps

1280x1024
49.16 fps / 49.43 fps

1600x1200
40.32 / 40.52 fps

If you're interested in performance data for pretty much any other game Doom 3 (which I'm ordering), let me know.  But, make sure it's for a reason--I'm not going to spend hours benchmarking for the simply curious!   ;)
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#2 Algol

Algol

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 06:22 PM

I benchmarked Unreal 2004 and got the same score I got with 10.3.9 but when actually playing the game it seemed much smoother. I checked the fps and they didn't seem to drop down as low as they did in 10.3.9. I surmise that it is possible that the overall top FPS may not be much improved in some games but the overall performance may be better.

#3 mwat

mwat

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 10:48 PM

I was one of the lucky ones (I guess) who got their copy earlier from macmall, and Tiger has been nothing but crap since doing a fresh install on my G5.  It constantly locks up when working with my external drives--one usb 2 Maxtor 200 gig and one firewire 200 gig.  I have had to hard reboot my computer 3 times in the last two days.  So far I am less then impressed with the functionality of Tiger.  Plus the added features, so far, don't seem worth the move from Panther to Tiger.  I just hope updates will follow soon and fix the issues I'm having.  If not I'm seriously thinking of installing Panther again.  I just can't afford the lost time to the hdd lock ups.

mwat

#4 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 10:51 PM

QuicksilverG5, on April 28th 2005, 03:30 PM, said:

Since iLife became a separate product.  It comes with new computers, but it's not part of OS X.

--Eric

#5 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 08:22 AM

Well, true.  That's irritating!
InsideMacGames.com

#6 tman

tman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 08:36 AM

QuicksilverG5, on April 28th 2005, 08:30 PM, said:

Hey, I just finished installing Tiger and getting my settings set so that I'm not going crazy.  I love doing that!

I'll post my Halo benchmarks as soon as I get a chance, but right now, it looks like the fears of slow Finder performance (at least on my machine) are not true.  Everything feels just as snappy, and some things are faster.  Mounting .dmg files is MUCH faster--the verification process takes about a second instead of a few seconds. 

Like I had hoped, the Pioneer DVR-109 is now fully supported (ie, no spindown issues), but iTunes still won't burn discs over 24x speed.

--4/28 3:15 PM

Holy crap!  Spotlight is FAST--saaawweeeeeeet!

--3:30 PM

(much later)

Well, I have to say that everything is (as far as I've tested) at a minimum, just as fast as it was on a clean install of 10.3.9.  Mail is extremely snappy, and I'm liking the new interface.  I haven't run into a single problem with anything that worked on Panther.  It's interesting to note the new processor control panel which lets you disable processors and processor napping.

--8 PM

4/29

Here's my Halo timedemo performance scores.  Note, these are with everything maxed at the specific resolution quoted, with lens flare low, VSYNC off, and no FSAA.  Also, note that I'm using a  different version of the X800, so these scores should be somewhat lower (and not comparable to) the retail X800XT.  Because of that, I've included the latest Panther benchmarks on my machine as well for comparison purposes.  Enjoy!

<<Standard Tests on Halo 1.5.1 (Advanced Shaders)>>

Panther/Tiger

640x480
66.34 / 67.77 fps

800x600
63.82 / 65.59 fps

1024x768
58.78 / 59.88 fps

1280x1024
49.16 fps / 49.43 fps

1600x1200
40.32 / 40.52 fps

If you're interested in performance data for pretty much any other game Doom 3 (which I'm ordering), let me know.  But, make sure it's for a reason--I'm not going to spend hours benchmarking for the simply curious!   ;)

View Post

Did you do an upgrade or clean install?

#7 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 10:09 AM

I did a clean install.  Wow, do you want to edit down the part where you quoted me?
InsideMacGames.com

#8 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 11:23 AM

Of course it may be premature to say this, but it looks as if the huge performance gains we were all expecting in regards to gaming in Tiger just aren't there (yet).

#9 dj phat 2000

dj phat 2000

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 11:55 AM

so far so good on my Ti 800, 1gb ram, 60GB HD (16mb cache WOOT!!)
Everything is great now that I got rid of Virex AV.  That was KILLINg my CPU.  Now, all is well.  Pretty much the same speed if not faster overall in basic UI stuff.  I must say it "Feels Good".  But, this laptop doesn't get a hammering of use as far as heavy IO or CPU usage anymore.  The test will be my G5 at home.  I hope it kicks ass on that thing.  :)

#10 iBug

iBug

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 12:23 PM

Algol, on April 29th 2005, 02:22 AM, said:

I benchmarked Unreal 2004 and got the same score I got with 10.3.9 but when actually playing the game it seemed much smoother. I checked the fps and they didn't seem to drop down as low as they did in 10.3.9. I surmise that it is possible that the overall top FPS may not be much improved in some games but the overall performance may be better.

View Post

Weird, in my G5 with Radeon 9800 Pro, with Tiger, UT 2004 performance dropped a lot. It's too glitchy to play. Then I installed ATI Displays 4.5.1 and got it back to normal.

#11 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 02:14 PM

Um, I wasn't expecting big performance increases with 10.4.0.  Especially after we've been told over the last few months not to expect big performance increases 10.4.0.
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#12 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17440 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 02:31 PM

QuicksilverG5, on April 29th 2005, 08:09 AM, said:

I did a clean install.  Wow, do you want to edit down the part where you quoted me?

View Post

Quicksilver, or anyone.  I want to do a clean install but I don't want to lose certain information such as my keychain, Apple and Entourage email boxes, and software registrations.  My personal information in other words.  What folders do I need to back up to keep this info intact?  I think it's about time for a clean install,  I haven't had one since 10.2.0  Anybody have a link to a site that gives tips for folks wanting to do a clean install with out wiping their personal data completely out?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#13 lordofgain

lordofgain

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 03:16 PM

the Battle Cat, on April 29th 2005, 01:31 PM, said:

Quicksilver, or anyone. I want to do a clean install but I don't want to lose certain information such as my keychain, Apple and Entourage email boxes, and software registrations. My personal information in other words. What folders do I need to back up to keep this info intact? I think it's about time for a clean install, I haven't had one since 10.2.0 Anybody have a link to a site that gives tips for folks wanting to do a clean install with out wiping their personal data completely out?

View Post

I will second tBC's question since I am a Mac noob.

Also the scuttlebutt that I here is that hopefully the performance increases we all seek will start happening with 10.4.3 or 10.4.4

Also wik: tBC, I just found this and thought it would be helpful

http://forums.applen...read.php?t=5667

#14 Siriusfox

Siriusfox

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1148 posts
  • Steam Name:opensiriusfox

Posted 29 April 2005 - 04:08 PM

No fair! Right about now the east coast gets it from stores. But I don't even get to dream about touching the box for another 3 hours! I wonder what will happen to apple's stock?
:Rants for ten minutes about not fair: (Described in next few smiles)
:crying:  :moreangry: :crying: :crying:
20'' iMac Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 10.6.5, 2GB RAM, 256MB ATI X1600

"Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog." -Doug Larson

#15 delhux

delhux

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 06:19 PM

the Battle Cat, on April 29th 2005, 01:31 PM, said:

Quicksilver, or anyone.  I want to do a clean install but I don't want to lose certain information such as my keychain, Apple and Entourage email boxes, and software registrations.  My personal information in other words.  What folders do I need to back up to keep this info intact?  I think it's about time for a clean install,  I haven't had one since 10.2.0  Anybody have a link to a site that gives tips for folks wanting to do a clean install with out wiping their personal data completely out?

View Post

Just do an archive and install.  That will give you a brand new OS, but retain the contents of your Users directory (data files, preferences, email, etc).  The only things that would be lost of any import would be third party kernel extensions (ie Norton Utilities) and potentially some third party preference panes (depending upon where they were installed).

Boot the Tiger disc, when you get to the point that has you select a hard drive, click on your boot drive.  A button labeled "options" becomes available, click it and on the following page choose "Archive & Install"--be sure to select the "Preserve Users and Network Preferences" checkbox.

Install.

Sit back and ride the Tiger...

#16 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17440 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 06:52 PM

Thanks for the feedback and the applenova link.  Archive and Install it is.  That's what I've been doing since 10.2
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#17 Peripherus

Peripherus

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 07:52 PM

the Battle Cat, on April 29th 2005, 07:52 PM, said:

Thanks for the feedback and the applenova link.  Archive and Install it is.  That's what I've been doing since 10.2

View Post

This article may be useful as well:

http://www.macworld.....php?lsrc=mwrss
17" iMac, 1GHz G4, 1GB, 64MB GeForce4 MX, Logitech MX500, 10.3.9.

#18 dualg4

dualg4

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 09:19 PM

I'm in the same position as tBC, I'll probably do an archive and install, but I have another question:
I'm going to buy a new hard drive soon, would it be better to install clean on the new drive or do an archive and install on the old drive.

Also how much free space should I have on an 75gig drive before doing the archive and install? I have 15-17 free right now so I think I'll be fine.

#19 tiskippy

tiskippy

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 11:10 PM

dualg4, on April 29th 2005, 09:19 PM, said:

I'm in the same position as tBC, I'll probably do an archive and install, but I have another question:
I'm going to buy a new hard drive soon, would it be better to install clean on the new drive or do an archive and install on the old drive.

Also how much free space should I have on an 75gig drive before doing the archive and install? I have 15-17 free right now so I think I'll be fine.

View Post

I'll answer those questions in backwards order.  You're fine with that much space free to do an archive & install.  Pretty much, if OS X isn't complaining about a lack of free drive space, you can handle an archive & install.

As far as the new drive goes, it depends on whether you want it to be your primary boot disk.  If its a faster drive or has a bigger cache than your current drive, I'd make it your new boot disk.  If the specs are the same, just archive & install on the current drive would be my advice.  Pretty much, unless the new one is better, just keep up with what you have so you don't have the hassle of moving everything over and reinstalling again.
Brandon
MacBook Pro, 2.16GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 15" Glossy Display

#20 lordofgain

lordofgain

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 11:50 PM

I just got my copy about an hour ago. I am not sure when I am going to install yet.

OK, ok so I just couldn't stand it!!!! I got it up and running on my PB right now!

The only thing so far that I have noticed is that Freefall doesn't work :(

Other than that so far, so good.

Safari seems a little snappier, the widgets are pretty darned cool I must admit.

Will post more later.