High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 27 April 2005 - 10:36 AM

mtrank, on April 27th 2005, 05:08 PM, said:

I think the 9650 also allows you to run the 30" Cinema Display.  Previously, you had to purchase NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL Card to do so.

View Post

That's the dual link DVI right there ;)
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#42 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 11:55 AM

tiskippy, on April 27th 2005, 10:08 AM, said:

The Dual 2.7GHz machines are liquid cooled again.  1337, have you tried reinstalling OS X?  Also, do you have any 3rd party RAM installed?  What you describe is a kernel panic, where the basis of OS X, the Unix kernel, has crashed.

Sounds more like a thermal runaway to me.  A few dual 2.5s early on suffered from this, from what I hear, and I think they got replaced under warranty.

I know some people have this weird desire to jump on anything as evidence that liquid cooling is the worst idea ever, but there's actually nothing inherently wrong with it.  Most dual 2.5s are fine, but every product ever made has a few defective units, big deal.

--Eric

#43 Endymion

Endymion

Master Blaster

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1693 posts
  • Steam Name:Aleksael
  • Steam ID:Aleksael

Posted 27 April 2005 - 11:55 AM

l337's problem is in fact what is simply known as a kernel panick. Just look at your system logs and try and figure out what is causing the panick, disable it, sleep, then try again and see what happens.

#44 1337

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 12:30 PM

tiskippy, on April 27th 2005, 08:08 AM, said:

The Dual 2.7GHz machines are liquid cooled again.  1337, have you tried reinstalling OS X?  Also, do you have any 3rd party RAM installed?  What you describe is a kernel panic, where the basis of OS X, the Unix kernel, has crashed.  A corrupt OS X install or bad RAM could be causes of this, among other things.  Your fans are probably going into high speed because of this.  I doubt that your liquid cooling system has much, if anything, to do with this.

View Post

Hmm.. I recently bumped for 1GB to 3GB of RAM using Data Memory Systems.  They guarantee their RAM's compatibility with Macs and have apparently been around since the mid 80's, so I figured they'd be a good shop to go with.

Insofar as a complete OS reinstall.... no.  I got my machine last October, and I haven't reinstalled the OS since.

I've gotten 2 or 3 such instances of this kernel panic, and it just makes me nervous to be woken up to the sound of the G5 turbine approaching Mach 1.  I don't get the kernel panic often, but it does happen.  I also notice that sometimes my system will just rev the fans up to full, and Activity Monitor shows 100% CPU use even though I'm not really doing anything.  Force quitting apps doesn't do it, but a reboot does.

If it sounds like OS install to you, then I'll just wait for my copy of Tiger to arrive from Amazon.  I wont be one of the "lucky" folks to have it this Friday, but mine should be in my hands for the weekend after this one.  There's a natural time to do a reinstall, since I wanted to do a complete format / reinstall for the new OS anyway.

If it sounds more like the RAM, I'll just call DMS and get them to replace it.  In general, I don't know how to troubleshoot Macs.  I'm a decently advanced Windows PC user, but have only been on the Mac platform since 2001 and haven't learned all the tricks yet.  I used the Tech Tool Deluxe CD that came with my G5 to run a test and it says the new RAM checks out ok.  Is that not sufficient to eliminate the new RAM as a culprit?

My thanks in advance, you guys are always great with helping me out on these things!

#45 Shade

Shade

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 12:35 PM

The liquid cooling system is a closed system so there aren't a whole lot of things that can go wrong with it.
Honor but above all, Loyalty.

#46 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 02:32 PM

Bastich, on April 26th 2005, 11:41 AM, said:

In fact, I bet they've been sitting on the 2.7's, waiting for Tiger to be finalized.

:cool:

View Post

At least there will be an ample supply when they ship, as a result.

#47 Greg Grant

Greg Grant

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2526 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 02:46 PM

Topic on RAM buying:

http://www.insidemac...showtopic=19685

I was once a huge proponent of buying generic RAM but after having two seperate dimms die of the super generic stuff on my G5, I've switched to buying the cheapest of name brand ram (CAS 2.5 stuff). After four dimms purchased of name brand stuff I'm ready to buy yet another two more DIMMs and push my G5 to 3.5 gigs (from 2.5) of RAM now that its about $86 for two DIMMs.

Really, there isn't much of a point to paying out the ass for "Mac compatibilty", as for instance. Corsair gives a lifetime warrenty. The advantage of name brand ram really is essentially quality control, pretty much all of the companies mentioned in the linked thread offer it.
the IMG audio guy...

#48 yvsamant

yvsamant

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 02:51 PM

And since a lot fewer are going to pre-order a dual 2.7 than, say Icewind Dale II for Mac, there's less people to cancel said pre-orders for.

Icewind Dale II is coming out for Mac???? When, when, when????

#49 converted2truth

converted2truth

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 05:16 PM

why they crippled the dual 2.0....

people who invested in a dual 2.0 years ago have a faster (more upgradable) machine!

this is wrong!  too bad we can't boycot.
Mac Pro/2.66/2GB RAM/X1900/1.5TB & 250GB X partition/250GB XP partition/Dell 24" LCD
MBP CD2.0/2GB ram/100GB HD (20GB XP partition)/ATI X1600m

#50 Greg Grant

Greg Grant

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2526 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 05:39 PM

converted2truth, on April 27th 2005, 03:16 PM, said:

this is wrong!  too bad we can't boycot.

View Post

Sorry buddy, but I just couldn't help but roll my eyes when I read your post. The  G5 line has always had the bottom machine (not counting the estranged 1.8 GHz G5) with half the ram capacity and PCI, be glad the FSB isn't crippled. Part of the motive always has been the bottom machine(s) be less than the middle and high end so you're more likely to buy the middle range computer as I'm sure they have a higher profit margin. Sure I'd like to think the 2.0 Ghz would have PCI-X and 8 gigs of ram max but that's part of the justification to spend $500 more on a computer.

Plus those of us like me with a Dual 2.0 Ghz, that is a "more upgradable machine" paid much more for our computer at the time.  

Next time when you get all worked up, just think about it a little more.
the IMG audio guy...

#51 WhiteSavage

WhiteSavage

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 09:33 PM

I just want to run SOMETHING on 8 Gigs of RAM :)

#52 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 09:58 PM

converted2truth, on April 27th 2005, 06:16 PM, said:

why they crippled the dual 2.0....

people who invested in a dual 2.0 years ago have a faster (more upgradable) machine!

this is wrong!  too bad we can't boycot.

Um...eh...dude, don't know how to tell you this, but it's called progress.  Speed-bumps.  Whatever. But the 2.0 is now one of the LOW-END systems.  So of course it's crippled.  The people who invested in a dual 2.0 years ago bought HIGH-END systems, and paid rather a lot more I might add.  Those people, today, would be buying 2.3 or 2.7 systems.  Those people, years ago, who bought the crippled 1.6 system would, today, be buying the crippled 2.0 system.

Nothing to get upset about...nothing wrong here...no need to boycott anything...new technology ALWAYS becomes old technology eventually....

--Eric

#53 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 01:07 AM

ic1male, on April 27th 2005, 10:06 AM, said:

Well all has been revealed. The 2.7 is now liquid cooled, which people are saying are 2.5 GHz processors overclocked.

According to www.xlr8yourmac.com, both the 2.3 and the 2.7 are liquid-cooled.  Actually, that doesn't surprise me, given the size of the 970FX.  It's tough to cool something so compact that operates so fast; 2.0GHz must be on the edge for efficient air-cooling.

--Eric

#54 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99

Posted 28 April 2005 - 04:12 AM

Eric5h5, on April 27th 2005, 10:55 AM, said:

Sounds more like a thermal runaway to me.  A few dual 2.5s early on suffered from this, from what I hear, and I think they got replaced under warranty.

View Post

I had a 2.5 with the thermal runaway problem. It differs from what he described : when a thermal runaway happens, your Mac will go into a forced sleep mode, and an entry about the problem will be made to the system.log file. When things cool down, you're able to wake up the Mac again - until that time, any attempt to wake it will just send it right back to sleep.

I had my CPU module replaced under warranty, and now my G5 runs better - and quieter - than it ever did.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#55 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 09:37 AM

Brad Oliver, on April 28th 2005, 05:12 AM, said:

I had a 2.5 with the thermal runaway problem. It differs from what he described : when a thermal runaway happens, your Mac will go into a forced sleep mode, and an entry about the problem will be made to the system.log file. When things cool down, you're able to wake up the Mac again - until that time, any attempt to wake it will just send it right back to sleep.

Oh, OK, thanks for the info!

--Eric

#56 tiskippy

tiskippy

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 09:38 AM

Two other changes in the G5s that I noticed.  First of all, you can now customized a G5 with 400GB drives, they used to max out at 250GB.

The other thing is something Apple hasn't changed for a long time.  The G5 doesn't ship standard with a 56K modem installed.  You can BTO one for $29.  In the past, it was always an option that you could remove.  I guess they decided that most people don't use the modem anymore, and that's one way to cut costs.  I'm glad to see this change.

Regarding the liquid cooling systems, Apple's own webpage lists the liquid cooling as being on the dual 2.7, nothing mentioned about the 2.3s having the liquid cooling system.  I rather doubt that they put it on the 2.3GHz systems myself.
Brandon
MacBook Pro, 2.16GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 15" Glossy Display

#57 Joshua

Joshua

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 10:39 AM

Bugger! They just left the 1.8GHz to rot, and upgraded the other 3 machines. Lord, at this rate, the original G5s are going to have the longest value lifetime of any Mac ever.

Josh
QuickSilver G4/1.4GHz - GF4Ti - 1.12GB RAM - OS X 10.3.9
Dell P4/1.4GHz - GF4Ti - 512MB RAM - Windows XP SP2

#58 1337

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 11:53 AM

Joshua, on April 28th 2005, 09:39 AM, said:

Bugger! They just left the 1.8GHz to rot, and upgraded the other 3 machines. Lord, at this rate, the original G5s are going to have the longest value lifetime of any Mac ever.

Josh

View Post

I have no problem with that.  Being a former Windows user, I'm getting antsy about my dual 2.5 which I've had since October. When I stopped to think about it, though, I realized, "hey!  I actually feel NO need whatsoever to upgrade."  I have a feeling I'll be happy with the performance of my g5 for another 2 years, which is unheard of for me.

I'm used to swapping something out of my x86 rig every 6 months.

I just attended a conference given by Intel Capital, which is the venture / start-up fund that Intel runs to boost companies in the tech space that have the vision of tomorrow.  All of the companies were software companies and they all said that current computing power was far outpacing the need for such power.  All of their applications were designed to be background type processes that would enhance the computing experience with the intention of *requiring* more power, i.e. inspiring sales for dual core processors and the like.

Just felt I'd share that little bit, too.

#59 tiskippy

tiskippy

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 01:28 PM

I know what you mean.  I'm using my original Dual 2.0GHz G5 and I'm still happy with it.  I've never bought a top of the line machine before, and now I'm feeling the benefit of that.  Though I do need a better video card, I'm not feeling like I need to trade in this machine for a faster G5.
Brandon
MacBook Pro, 2.16GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 15" Glossy Display

#60 Shade

Shade

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 02:17 PM

tiskippy, on April 28th 2005, 02:28 PM, said:

I know what you mean.  I'm using my original Dual 2.0GHz G5 and I'm still happy with it.  I've never bought a top of the line machine before, and now I'm feeling the benefit of that.  Though I do need a better video card, I'm not feeling like I need to trade in this machine for a faster G5.

View Post

I'm just wondering how your benefiting from it...

I was looking into buying the Dual 2.7 but should I go with the Dual 2.3 instead?
Honor but above all, Loyalty.