Maestro

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Steam Name:kgmoome

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:02 PM

Whaleman, on April 8th 2005, 11:49 PM, said:

And history tells us the MacWorld demo was more like a pre-recorded demo since there was no AI or anything. Only the graphics engine was ready to show off... all other components of the game wasn't even close to ready.

View Post

are you agreeing with me?
Tortillas are sleeping bags for ground beef.

#42 TigerJones

TigerJones

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:04 PM

http://www.imagedump...l_id=0&warned=y
our flag. we need to come up with a game that is based on this rival between micrsoft and apple.

#43 c15zyx

c15zyx

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:12 PM

Endymion, on April 8th 2005, 09:58 AM, said:

There was a bug in the first version of Myth that killed a PC if the game was ever uninstalled

View Post

From back in the early days of Penny-Arcade:
http://www.penny-arc...999-01-06&res=l

#44 TigerJones

TigerJones

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 10:45 PM

http://www.imagedump...l_id=0&warned=y
our logo

#45 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 11:53 PM

All I can say is:
Posted Image
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#46 ScottishGerman

ScottishGerman

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 01:43 AM

Hail Hitler?
Digital Audio G4 w/ GigaDesigns 1.33Ghz, 1GB of RAM, ATI Radeon 9000Pro 64MB/ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128MB, IBM 40GB+Seagate 80GB+Maxtor 120GB, Pioneer DVR-107, Logitech Duo Mx

#47 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 April 2005 - 03:15 AM

Maestro, on April 9th 2005, 04:02 AM, said:

are you agreeing with me?

View Post

No, it was rendered realtime. But all the movements were added manually. The game mechanics to make everything run about wasn't in so they had to pre-record how the characters were supposed to move. I don't know to what level it was done, like if they had to move each limb separately or just moving the whole people (movement animations would have to be done for that). I don't know if I can find the interview that talks about this, but the game was far from done at the Expo and all they showed was an empty graphics shell.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#48 Arenzera

Arenzera

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 04:53 AM

Maestro, on April 9th 2005, 10:42 AM, said:

rumor has it that the MacWorld demo was a pre-rendered movie...

/conspiracy theroy

View Post

I remember watching the keynote where Steve and that other guy from Bungie said "This is the game engine". It was like DOOM 3 back then. It wasn't horrible!

If MS hadn't gotten their hands on Bungie, Halo would have been so much better!

Kiel :-)

#49 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17435 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 10:23 AM

Space_Pirate_Killer, on April 8th 2005, 09:53 PM, said:

Where the heck did you find that old picture of me and the moderators??  Gosh those were the good old days, when pants were pants and users knew how to salute.  You could step out for a schnitzel but come home with Poland instead.  ::wipes tear from eye::
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#50 Mariner

Mariner

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 12:58 PM

Battle cat reminds me of an apocryphal quote from Wernher von Braun,
"I aim for the stars, though sometimes I hit London."

On topic: when you're as right as often as Jobs has been, it's easy to see why he may be slow to change his mind. He has long been opposed to and even hindered gaming on the Mac.
But I don't think it is possible to be a long time mac user without  a deep reserve of optimism, so, here's hoping...

#51 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 01:17 PM

Mariner, on April 9th 2005, 11:58 AM, said:

Battle cat reminds me of an apocryphal quote from Wernher von Braun,
"I aim for the stars, though sometimes I hit London."

View Post

Haha, that's great.

#52 Endymion

Endymion

Master Blaster

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1693 posts
  • Steam Name:Aleksael
  • Steam ID:Aleksael

Posted 09 April 2005 - 01:37 PM

Mariner, on April 9th 2005, 01:58 PM, said:

On topic: when you're as right as often as Jobs has been, it's easy to see why he may be slow to change his mind. He has long been opposed to and even hindered gaming on the Mac.

View Post

No he hasn't. Cite your claim. You do realize that Steve Jobs called John Carmack to ask him exactly what Apple could do to make the Macintosh a better game computer platform right? You do realize that the Yosemite and subsequent designs including adoption of AGP were done directly on his advice, right? What has he done to hinder gaming? He was right, then, when he made the decision to back OpenGL and take Apple to their senior directing role with the ARB, when did he make a bad gaming decision?

And please, don't say something silly, like "because he put Rage 128s in Macs for so long." That would show real lack of insight.

#53 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 01:57 PM

Endymion, on April 9th 2005, 12:37 PM, said:

And please, don't say something silly, like "because he put Rage 128s in Macs for so long." That would show real lack of insight.

View Post

But it's true. Overall, for now, Macs suck for games.

#54 Mr.PreacherMan

Mr.PreacherMan

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 02:10 PM

placebo, on April 9th 2005, 07:57 PM, said:

View Post

I think it would be more accurate to say that current, commercial games suck for macs.

They're ports. They'll never be as well optimized as the original.

{ edit: not that I'm claiming that it should be otherwise. Publishers make games to make money and they make more money off of PC versions because they have such a larger audience. I'm not whining about that, simply noting that your statement, while arguably still true, doesn't actually address the issues.

Games made for macs and ported to PCs aren't particularly viable at the moment and I won't argue that a game made to play on a 2.5GHz PPC machine will be better than a game made for a 4GHz x86 machine with a superior graphics card. It's just that the current state of affairs exacerbates the problem, rather than some inherent advantage on the PC side. If we had the majority of the marketshare, then they'd be the ones whining about crappy ports, crippled video cards and such. }

#55 Endymion

Endymion

Master Blaster

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1693 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 02:47 PM

placebo, on April 9th 2005, 02:57 PM, said:

View Post

Yes it's true, that's a real lack of insight.

Let the man speak for himself.

#56 Mariner

Mariner

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 02:50 PM

Endymion, I was referring to the distant past. I should have been more clear on that. Certainly Apple has been making game specific improvements since Jobs' return. In the first few years of the Mac there was a concern that the machine would not be taken seriously by the business world if they touted the gaming. They did some of this, then stopped.

I did spend a few minutes googling but this goes back so far that it may be difficult to find on the web. (The first Macs I used were the SE's)

It is relevant today in that even an organization as nimble as Apple is presently, institutional inertia is a factor.

#57 Endymion

Endymion

Master Blaster

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1693 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 03:25 PM

If you're referring to 1984, you're referring to a computer market that was opposed to games in general. A lot of the corporate response to the Macintosh at that time was "ha ha, look at this, it is a toy." Apple went about a great deal of effort to show corporate buyers "no, really, this is a serious computer and can do the work you need." They had to convince them of this. It was the only way to sell their 5000 dollar computer to the only people capable and willing to buy something that would work for them. At the time you had either a serious work computer, or a video game computer, and a video game computer was basically a Commodore 64--not worth dealing with, even barely worth dealing with for games.

You've got a big onus to tie public perception and company policy from the dawn of the computer market as we know it to "institutional intertia" 20 years later. Games aren't Apple's or Steve Jobs number one priority, but you a proper development environment where any such work can thrive and operate well absolutely is. That includes games and the continued game market that does exist is a testament to Apple's clean design. Neither Apple nor Steve Jobs can twist anyone's arm to do more business with the platform if their own financial and management plans were not built to include it.

#58 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 04:38 PM

Endymion, on April 9th 2005, 01:47 PM, said:

Yes it's true, that's a real lack of insight.

Let the man speak for himself.

View Post

List a single reason that Macs are better for games than PCs.

#59 Mariner

Mariner

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 05:06 PM

To take this back to the original post. The "revolution" has already occurred. Apple has been actively supporting game developers. Though, after years of inactivity, there is still much needed. Steve jobs is clearly still pursuing a wider home market and this will include more support for game developers.

I was mostly reacting to the rather wild and unrealistic note struck by the beginning of this thread with a little historical perspective.

"Neither Apple nor Steve Jobs can twist anyone's arm to do more business with the platform if their own financial and management plans were not built to include it." - Exactly, spot on. And that includes Apple's plans too.

While I expect the situation to continue to improve, the greatest impediment now is the vast investment required for those blockbuster games.

Here are a couple of links concerning the past. I think most of us are aware of this. And, yes, the worst of it was when Jobs was gone. I do stand by fact that he did share this notion early on. He may well have been right, without the exclusive focus on the professional markets, Apple may not have survived the dark years.

http://www.mactech.c...Feb97Viewpoint/

http://www.businessw...011212_8377.htm

P.S. Placebo,
There may not be many, I don't have a PC in the house but I've used VPC for work quite a bit and for Silent Hunter. I attempted to reload SH recently and wound up totally mucking up Windows just by trying to load a DOS program. So my answer is that I've never had cause to fear installing and running anything on a Mac.

#60 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 05:21 PM

Mariner, on April 9th 2005, 04:06 PM, said:

P.S. Placebo,
There may not be many, I don't have a PC in the house but I've used VPC for work quite a bit and for Silent Hunter. I attempted to reload SH recently and wound up totally mucking up Windows just by trying to load a DOS program. So my answer is that I've never had cause to fear installing and running anything on a Mac.

View Post

That has nothing to do with games.