Jump to content


Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil (installation guide)


  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowTech

ShadowTech

    Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 02:23 AM

I now have the CD for Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil.
I took a screen to show you guys the only files that look familiar to me, the .pk4 files.

Does anyone have any idea how I would go about installing these into my Doom 3 directory?
I'm gonna fool around with them and see what I can do.
It *looks* as if it may work, so here's hoping.
I'll update here if I have any luck.

Directory tree
Note: There are 3 different zpak100.pk4 files. One for Spanish, Italian and French.
pak000.pk4 is 513.4 MB in size, and game00.pk4 is 1KB in size.

[Edit - I changed the img tag to a url to keep the forum format from being wanked and to give our dial up friends a break - tBC]

#2 Malus121

Malus121

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Location:Tokyo Japan

Posted 03 April 2005 - 02:57 AM

Look at the file structure after the installation has been installed on the PC side and copy it exactly.
27" iMac, 2.8Ghz Quad Core i5, 8GB of ram, 1TB HDD, AMD Radeon HD 6770M w/ 512 Vram
13" Macbook Air, 1.86Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB of Ram, 128GB SSD, Nvidia Geforce 320M

Playstation Vita (JP 3G Model), 8GB Memory Card, Uncharted Golden Abyss, Gravity Daze, Tales of Innocence R
Playstation 3 (Lots of games..)
27" iMac..... Awesome
Playstation Vita = Amazing

#3 [G5]Hydra

[G5]Hydra

    Fan

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 04:00 AM

I tried putting the d3xp folder into the Doom folder, like you would install a mod, and it lets you choose the Resurrection of Evil in the mod list after you launch the game.  After launching it as a mod the Resurrection of Evil text that appears over the Mars globe in the game menu seems to flicker in and out and not render properly.  The single player won't run but I can start a server, non-functional I would guess,  and run around the new multiplayer maps fine. The maps appear in the server setup screen but the names are messed up.  Another glitch is the new double barrel shotgun; if I pick it up the map quits back to the main menu.  

The problem as I see it is that the game requires a serial number during the install for a PC and by dumping the files in all the right places you still need to somehow run the PC executable installer to go through the serialization process.  I'm not sure if this is possible with this expansion pack but the good news is that if it can run the multiplayer maps on a Mac there likely weren't any significant engine changes.  A port of the installer and a few tweaks here and there should be a piece of cake after all the work the original Doom 3 game took.

-Jerry C.

#4 Dr. Geebs

Dr. Geebs

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 07:50 AM

There's a patch as part of the PC version, so it's not using the same version 1.1 executable as the original Doom3.  I don't think it'll work properly.

#5 ShadowTech

ShadowTech

    Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 12:21 PM

[G5]Hydra, on April 3rd 2005, 06:00 AM, said:

After launching it as a mod the Resurrection of Evil text that appears over the Mars globe in the game menu seems to flicker in and out and not render properly...

View Post


I got the exact same results as you when I tried.
Ah well, looks like we'll be waiting for the official Mac version if we want more than the new maps.

Dr. Geebs, on April 3rd 2005, 09:50 AM, said:

There's a patch as part of the PC version, so it's not using the same version 1.1 executable as the original Doom3.  I don't think it'll work properly.

View Post


I also noticed that.
Hopefully Aspyr will have the expansion out ASAP.  :)

#6 Santaduck

Santaduck

    Macologist

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 04:46 AM

Fascinating.

Did you guys try tossing the pk4 files into the user home's Application Support folder area?

~userhome/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/...

Perhaps even creating:
~userhome/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/data/

Also in the first post screenshot, I see other folders... any chance you could post a full list of the files & folders?  For example I see a DirectX folder at the top, I wonder if there is an OpenGL folder with more content.

What exactly happened with the serialization so you it's even an issue? For mac, it looks like the info is stored in com.aspyr.coom3.plist in
~userhome/Library/Preferences

Would installing it to PC first, then moving the resultant files to Mac be better? (Just in case there are compressed installation archives).


Note that the file names game00.pk4 and pak000.pk4 already exist in stock Doom3 in the /base folder.


Also, is there a batch file that runs the expansion? If so, what is the exact commandline it uses to launch Doom3+RoE?  The syntax might be slightly different in OS X Terminal.


Of course, you might check the EULA, this might be very well contraindicated

#7 BEIGE

BEIGE

    Newbie

  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 01:30 PM

Did you guys try tossing the pk4 files into the user home's Application Support folder area?

~userhome/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/...


it's irrelevant whether you load something from the home directory or the base directory. it's just a unix-like path and the app loads both regardless. if it showed up in the mod list and didn't work, it sounds like it needs to patch the app to run since all other mods run fine.

#8 BadVermin

BadVermin

    Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 01:34 PM

BEIGE, on April 4th 2005, 01:30 PM, said:

Did you guys try tossing the pk4 files into the user home's Application Support folder area?

~userhome/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/...


it's irrelevant whether you load something from the home directory or the base directory. it's just a unix-like path and the app loads both regardless. if it showed up in the mod list and didn't work, it sounds like it needs to patch the app to run since all other mods run fine.

View Post


Crap, I can get a free copy of this game and really wanted to try this out.

#9 c15zyx

c15zyx

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 02:01 PM

Yes, just the fact that it shows up in the mod menu shows that it's in the right place. Those familiar with the Quake directory system will immediately know that the pakxx files go into the d3xp folder which goes into the main folder separate from the 'baseqx' folder with all the data.

It's different story from Q3 and Q3:TA, where TA was really just a 'bonus pack' that built upon the preexisting (and well-refined) QuakeVM framework, without really changing the game. However, Resurrection of Evil is early in the D3 lifecycle, and it's likely that id took it upon themselves to make some noteworthy changes along the way.

About the serial, it's unlikely that id has changed the structure of the pak files, and the keys were never stored in the paks, so assuming Aspyr patches D3 up to the version in the expansion, it is easily possible that it would then be compatible with the pak files [from the PC CD] directly, without needing to buy a 'Mac' version of RoE.

Remember how Team Arena required Q3 to be patched up to a certain version (and crashed for people who didn't upgrade), maybe all we need to wait for is a patch to the app itself.

#10 ShadowTech

ShadowTech

    Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 03:53 PM

c15zyx, on April 4th 2005, 04:01 PM, said:

...maybe all we need to wait for is a patch to the app itself.

View Post


I agree. I think since the Windows version was recently patched, we just need to wait for a Mac patch, and then *maybe* it will actually load the Expansion from the Mods menu.

#11 Santaduck

Santaduck

    Macologist

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 04:49 PM

I know that (given there are no bugs, which is no guarantee), userhome vs. the actual application folder is the same.  The lack of bugs for mod paths is not guarantee however, so it's worth a try since it takes only a minute.

Also is there a difference between the (nonexistent) data folder and the base folder, esp. given that both pk4 file overwrite existing ones from the stock game?

#12 c15zyx

c15zyx

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 05:29 PM

Santaduck, on April 5th 2005, 03:49 PM, said:

I know that (given there are no bugs, which is no guarantee), userhome vs. the actual application folder is the same.  The lack of bugs for mod paths is not guarantee however, so it's worth a try since it takes only a minute.

Also is there a difference between the (nonexistent) data folder and the base folder, esp. given that both pk4 file overwrite existing ones from the stock game?

View Post

You're probably reading too much into the heirarchy... the 'data' folder is just where the PC installer likes to put its data, it has no meaning for the game itself. What's important is the d3xp folder, and the original base pak files aren't replaced, since the d3xp directory is a sibling of the base directory (read the first part of Hydra's post carefully, this is also SOP for id games).

Edit: As for the Directx folder... remember, this is a PC Install CD. The fact that the level also contains 'autorun.inf' and 'Docs' should also clue you in. This level is the CD root, and contains the DX 9.0b install that comes with DOOM3, it's not some DX renderer libs or anything game-specific. This ultimately only points to the d3xp folder, and the paks for other languages.

#13 MacADDICT

MacADDICT

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 05:58 PM

lol they will nto release a mac patch for a game unofficially supported

#14 ShadowTech

ShadowTech

    Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 06:35 PM

MacADDICT, on April 5th 2005, 07:58 PM, said:

lol they will nto release a mac patch for a game unofficially supported

View Post


Well, if (or when) they release a Doom 3 patch, it wouldn't be so it will run with the PC expansion, it would be to fix any bugs they have encountered, and bring it up to date with the PC version in a technical sense.

We're just hoping the PC expansion will work after a Mac update.

#15 Santaduck

Santaduck

    Macologist

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 12:20 PM

Have you tried unstuffing the .pk4 files, and seeing which files are different from the unstuffed versions of the stock files?

#16 ShadowTech

ShadowTech

    Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 02:44 PM

No....good idea.
I'll look into it. ;)

#17 ShadowTech

ShadowTech

    Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 04:55 PM

Update:
As far as how the actual files look, well, I'm not too sure if there is anything that can/should be modified to make it work, but I did find the following code inside the game00.pk4/binary.conf:
// add flags for supported operating systems in this pak
// one id per line
// name the file binary.conf and place it in the game pak
0 win-x86
// 1 mac-ppc
// 2 linux-x86
0
I'm guessing I can follow the embedded instructions, and replace it with the mac code, and then throw it back in the PK4 file. (No, you can't run the expansion with the files expanded)

But my problem is this. I'm not sure how to recompile a PK4 file. All I have been able to do so far is open the PK4 in Stuffit Deluxe, but it won't let me change the archive. I know people who have been doing Doom Mods have been making their own PK4's, so there's gotta be a way.

EDIT:
iPak 3 will allow you to make your own PK4's, just to let anyone else working on this know.
I recompiled the game00.pk4 file with no luck. I then proceeded to fool around with the other PK4, seeing if I could find anything that may be conflicting, but I couldn't really find anything that stood out to me.

The answer is probably right infront of me, but I just don't know enough about computer programming and how the Doom 3 filesystem works.
I'll check out the linux community next to see if they know anything...

#18 dj phat 2000

dj phat 2000

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 09:09 PM

damn dude, nice work :)

Hope you get it to work.  :D

#19 Who Knows?

Who Knows?

    Notorious

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 12:08 AM

ShadowTech, on April 11th 2005, 04:55 PM, said:

Update:
As far as how the actual files look, well, I'm not too sure if there is anything that can/should be modified to make it work, but I did find the following code inside the game00.pk4/binary.conf:
// add flags for supported operating systems in this pak
// one id per line
// name the file binary.conf and place it in the game pak
0 win-x86
// 1 mac-ppc
// 2 linux-x86
0
I'm guessing I can follow the embedded instructions, and replace it with the mac code, and then throw it back in the PK4 file. (No, you can't run the expansion with the files expanded)

But my problem is this. I'm not sure how to recompile a PK4 file. All I have been able to do so far is open the PK4 in Stuffit Deluxe, but it won't let me change the archive. I know people who have been doing Doom Mods have been making their own PK4's, so there's gotta be a way.

EDIT:
iPak 3 will allow you to make your own PK4's, just to let anyone else working on this know.
I recompiled the game00.pk4 file with no luck. I then proceeded to fool around with the other PK4, seeing if I could find anything that may be conflicting, but I couldn't really find anything that stood out to me.

The answer is probably right infront of me, but I just don't know enough about computer programming and how the Doom 3 filesystem works.
I'll check out the linux community next to see if they know anything...

View Post


An additional way to make pk4s may be just to make a zip file and  rename the extension since pk3 files for q3 engine games were like this.
This isn't the signature you're looking for.

#20 striderdm1

striderdm1

    Macologist

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Location:England

Posted 25 September 2005 - 02:01 AM

looks like this thread died an early death back in april and still no news on the official mac release of RoE in september. Bugger! We're really missing out here on a great game :(
AppleCrypt Mods  (as dead as a Dodo!)