76 replies to this topic

#1 FoxDog175

FoxDog175

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 05:36 PM

Bill Roper talks Hellgate: London, Flagship Studio's new game in April's PC Gamer.

All 8 pages of the magazine article (which included screenshots) were scanned in by people and posted online, but fansites were forced to remove them due to copyright issues.

Info posted from Diabloii.net:

The April edition of PC Gamer is just hitting the stores, and it contains the first news about the first game from Flagship Studios. The game is called Hellgate:London, it's due out in 2006 (cross your fingers now, knowing those guys and release dates) and the eight-page PC Gamer article covers it in excellent detail. The game is set in a post-apocalyptic London, and while it's played like a First Person Shooter, Flagship spokesman Bill Roper calls it an RPG. As the article explains, the game looks like Doom or Quake or Halo at a glance, but it's a far deeper experience than those simple shoot 'em ups, and has a ton of features that will sound very familiar to any D2 fan.

To start with, you select a character class much as you would in D2. There will be a variety of classes with different stats, skills, spells, and so on. As you score kills you gain exp and when you level up you gain stat and skill points to distribute as you see fit. Your stat points will matter too, and they will affect your character's accuracy, damage, life, and other such things. Monsters will drop items when they die, and not just new guns or ammo; there will be all sorts of weapons, armor, and more, even socketed weapons and uniques. The game will even play like an RPG, with numerous random quests, boss monsters, and so on. There's even going to be cooperative play with multiplayer support for up to 16 or 32 players, and of course there will be death match options as well.

#2 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 05:47 PM

Why did I think that Blizzard made Diablo?

#3 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 06:52 PM

I think this was the company formed by former Blizzard employees.
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 March 2005 - 07:08 PM

Because this thread discusses a specific game title I'm required to move it to the forum that discusses this genera.  As the game appears to be more of an RPG than a shooter, I'm going to move it to the Adventure and RPG.  Please try to adhere to the forum topic standards.  If you guys drop any weapons or armor in the move, I get to keep it!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 07:20 PM

Awwww.. no fair.
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#6 Destroth

Destroth

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 12:06 PM

From what I read on the Flagship forums is that it's mainly a first person rpg. It uses guns and other projectiles, but it roles dice like in Morrowind to see if you hit or not.

#7 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 11:03 AM

Here's hoping they are as good to the Mac as Blizzard has been. I know on their FAQ they don't rule out the possibility.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#8 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 28 March 2005 - 12:02 PM

I don't like the fact that Namco is their publishing partner.... how many Namco games can you name that have made it to Mac recently?
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions.Aim higher.Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#9 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 28 March 2005 - 12:23 PM

Whaleman, on March 28th 2005, 01:02 PM, said:

I don't like the fact that Namco is their publishing partner.... how many Namco games can you name that have made it to Mac recently?

Early on after the four main dudes from Blizzard formed Flagship, they were specifically asked about Mac support ... take their answer for what it's worth:

Will your game[s] be available for the Macintosh?
We are currently focusing all of our energies on creating a great game for the PC and have not yet discussed our long-range plans for support on the Macintosh. We do come from a tradition of supporting the Mac with our games, and we will certainly be keeping such a great, passionate base of gamers in our thoughts as the game progresses.

So who really knows, huh?

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#10 BadgerHunter

BadgerHunter

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 03:38 PM

I'd be thrilled if it had mac support. This is exactly the kind of thing I've been hankering for.

#11 Destroth

Destroth

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 01:57 PM

Whaleman, on March 28th 2005, 11:02 AM, said:

View Post

I know what you mean. Namco or Capcom seem not to know the Mac exists, but Aspyr can always buy the rights to publish the game.

#12 Auron

Auron

Billowing Smokestack of BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 05:54 PM

Whaleman, on March 28th 2005, 01:02 PM, said:

View Post

I highly doubt that's completely up to Namco though, if Flagship wants a Mac version, it'll happen.

#13 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 12:38 PM

For those looking forward to some (spastic clicky?) hellish action - demo now available.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#14 MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 03:16 PM

I got into the beta but I'm a PPC user. Nyayyayaaarrrr I'm in torment. :bleedingeyes: :bleedingeyes: :bleedingeyes: :bleedingeyes: :bleedingeyes: :bleedingeyes:

#15 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 03:04 AM

How about some spy and ad ware?
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#16 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 20 October 2007 - 03:43 AM

View PostWhaleman, on March 28th 2005, 08:02 PM, said:

Errm... Namco is only one of their publishing partners. Another one is EA.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#17 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 01:40 PM

I'm in the beta. The game is WAY too easy, lacks depth, but is addictive. It really is Diablo 3.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#18 NAG

NAG

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 01:53 PM

Keeping mac gaming in their thoughts sounds like something they'd say at a funeral.
"You call *this* archaeology?" Professor Henry Jones

#19 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 08:39 PM

View PostNAG, on October 20th 2007, 01:53 PM, said:

Keeping mac gaming in their thoughts sounds like something they'd say at a funeral.

Occurred to me as well! At least they didn't say that Mac gaming was in their prayers ;)
If we keep talking like this we'll get this thread merged with this month's Mac Gaming Death Knell.

#20 NAG

NAG

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:23 PM

Anyway, I'm at least hoping for some cider ports. Not the best thing in the world but at least it is a start.
"You call *this* archaeology?" Professor Henry Jones