176 replies to this topic

#21 Mandrake628

Mandrake628

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 04:40 PM

Please try to keep us updated if anything interesting happens in development.  This is a game I am quite interested in.  Not since EV Nova have we had a game in this general "space rpg/adventure" genre.  I know about Vegastrike, Vega Trek, Wing Commander, Vendetta etc, I just didn't put them in the EV Nova catagory.  Anyways, thanks for the info.

Mandrake628

#22 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 05:46 PM

Mandrake628, on April 14th 2005, 03:40 PM, said:

Please try to keep us updated if anything interesting happens in development.  This is a game I am quite interested in.  Not since EV Nova have we had a game in this general "space rpg/adventure" genre.  I know about Vegastrike, Vega Trek, Wing Commander, Vendetta etc, I just didn't put them in the EV Nova catagory.  Anyways, thanks for the info.

Mandrake628

View Post

Ditto.

#23 Hippieman

Hippieman

Freeverse Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 04:30 PM

Just a little X2 update.  We are testing the final candidate.  Going to give it a good run through on different machines.  We had to do some updates so it played nicely with Tiger.  I know some of you have other questions I haven't answered yet, and I'll get to them.

However, I just got done playing on a Mac Mini with 1.25ghz processor and 512 memory in 10.4.  There was some skipping in the cut-scenes, but just a little bit.  Everything after that was silky smooth.  

Also I'm pushing as hard as I can for a Demo.  I expect we will have final system requirements soon.
Marathon: Durandal
The Ultimate Marathon experience
Reverof Nohtaram

#24 Mandrake628

Mandrake628

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 04:06 PM

1)So it was optimized for Tiger?  
2)A Mac Mini hopufully isn't a minimum, then I would seriously have to consider a new computer.  
3)Just curious, when you say "silky smooth", do you just mean about 30 frames, or far above 30.  

Sorry if I bother you too much with my questions.

Mandrake628

#25 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 07:55 PM

I guess I'm gunna be forking over more $$ for a new game soon. Hopefully BG2TOB can help me the resist the urge to buy a new game longer than Doom 3 did (2 days). Will there be a pay and download option, like what VP does with some of their games? How does the pay and download option work with the VP store in the US with different currency? Are there any extra charges, or are the games just the list price converted into USD?

Wow, the British pound owns the $, 1 pound is almost $2
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#26 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:39 PM

Freeverse is distributing it stateside. Vp in the UK.

#27 Hippieman

Hippieman

Freeverse Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 10:05 AM

Mandrake628, on May 3rd 2005, 05:06 PM, said:

1)So it was optimized for Tiger? 
2)A Mac Mini hopufully isn't a minimum, then I would seriously have to consider a new computer. 
3)Just curious, when you say "silky smooth", do you just mean about 30 frames, or far above 30. 

Sorry if I bother you too much with my questions.

Mandrake628

View Post

1.  I don't think optimized is the right word.  More like we made sure it works and Tiger does not break it, its optimized for OS X.
2.  No a Mac Mini isn't the minimum, but I think its a good machine to judge from.  
3.  I didn't have a FPS display but I'd estimate its 45 to 50 fps.  Only the cut scenes that fly you around a future city were choppy (and it was minimal chop).  And I had all effects and settings set to highest.  

I'd imagine a better graphics card than the Mini would help an older G4.  

Does anyone have any specific machines they are interested we have a smattering of machines I can try X2 on.
Reverof Nohtaram

#28 benwards

benwards

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 01:18 PM

Hippieman, on May 4th 2005, 08:05 AM, said:

1.  I don't think optimized is the right word.  More like we made sure it works and Tiger does not break it, its optimized for OS X.
2.  No a Mac Mini isn't the minimum, but I think its a good machine to judge from. 
3.  I didn't have a FPS display but I'd estimate its 45 to 50 fps.  Only the cut scenes that fly you around a future city were choppy (and it was minimal chop).  And I had all effects and settings set to highest. 

Does anyone have any specific machines they are interested we have a smattering of machines I can try X2 on.

View Post

I've got a 1Ghz G4 (one of the older MDD models) with a Radeon 9800, and I'd love to hear how it might run on it. I've been looking for a new space sim ever since OSX broke compatiblity with Tie Fighter.  :P

#29 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 04 May 2005 - 04:55 PM

Hippieman, on May 4th 2005, 04:05 PM, said:

1.  I don't think optimized is the right word.  More like we made sure it works and Tiger does not break it, its optimized for OS X.
2.  No a Mac Mini isn't the minimum, but I think its a good machine to judge from. 
3.  I didn't have a FPS display but I'd estimate its 45 to 50 fps.  Only the cut scenes that fly you around a future city were choppy (and it was minimal chop).  And I had all effects and settings set to highest. 

View Post

Hippieman, I know you're a Freeverse employee, and I know you have gotten some sort of permission to mention X2, but you're completely misleading people regarding performance, and I believe that someone needs to respond before this gets out of hand.  Obviously, my PM earlier didn't help.  

Personally, I'm going to respect my NDA, but I do need to mention that as possibly the only one who has done comprehensive framerate testing using the developer tools, in-game performance on Panther and Tiger is virtually identical, and it's nothing like what Hippieman said.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#30 Mandrake628

Mandrake628

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 07:28 PM

QuicksilverG5, on May 4th 2005, 06:55 PM, said:

Hippieman, I know you're a Freeverse employee, and I know you have gotten some sort of permission to mention X2, but you're completely misleading people regarding performance, and I believe that someone needs to respond before this gets out of hand.  Obviously, my PM earlier didn't help. 

Personally, I'm going to respect my NDA, but I do need to mention that as possibly the only one who has done comprehensive framerate testing using the developer tools, in-game performance on Panther and Tiger is virtually identical, and it's nothing like what Hippieman said.

View Post

Did I miss something?  Perhaps something about PM's?  I don't think he said anything comparing performance in Panther to performance in Tiger.  And I'm also guessing that we won't be getting ""45-50" fps?  Anyways, I wouldn't want anyone to break their NDA or anything, so either of you should feel free to simply shut up.  

Hope there hasn't been much trouble because of this.

Mandrake628

#31 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:39 PM

No, you didn't miss anything.  I PMed him a while back, but it's not that big of a deal.  He didn't say anything comparing performance in Panther to Tiger--I said that.  You're correct in your framerate analysis, but remember that things may change.  Actually, he did get permission to talk about X2 to a certain extent, but according to the project leader, we have to get an okay for each situation before we say anything.  That's pretty standard across the board.  I'll ask the guy in charge if I can talk about performance right now, but I'm guessing no.
InsideMacGames.com

#32 Mandrake628

Mandrake628

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 04:06 PM

That's fine.  As long as it plays well on my machine, I'm happy.   :)

Mandrake628

#33 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 06:50 AM

So what is it gonna be this sunday, kiddies? Is VP going to actually release X2 or is it going to be another push back?

Actually, this is just recreational griping. If it takes some extra time to ensure a quality port, I'm good with it. But would it kill VP to update their flipping site? When X2 is actually on the shelves, I believe the sys reqs on the box are going to say "Coming Soon"

#34 Hippieman

Hippieman

Freeverse Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 09:48 AM

QuicksilverG5, on May 4th 2005, 09:39 PM, said:

No, you didn't miss anything.  I PMed him a while back, but it's not that big of a deal.  He didn't say anything comparing performance in Panther to Tiger--I said that.  You're correct in your framerate analysis, but remember that things may change.  Actually, he did get permission to talk about X2 to a certain extent, but according to the project leader, we have to get an okay for each situation before we say anything.  That's pretty standard across the board.  I'll ask the guy in charge if I can talk about performance right now, but I'm guessing no.

View Post

Yeah, we each get our approval from different people (just to make life more complicated).  To make Quicksilver's life easier (and my own) I'm going to hold off making posts as its all getting confusing.  But X2 is a sweet game and everyone should be excited!
Reverof Nohtaram

#35 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 10:01 AM

Hippieman, on May 13th 2005, 03:48 PM, said:

. . . X2 is a sweet game and everyone should be excited!

View Post

I definitely second that!  You might add addicting . . . ;)
InsideMacGames.com

#36 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 02:36 PM

Rev-O, on May 13th 2005, 08:50 AM, said:

So what is it gonna be this sunday, kiddies? Is VP going to actually release X2 or is it going to be another push back?

It doesn't look like it's coming out today...
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#37 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 08:28 PM

Dark_Archon, on May 15th 2005, 01:36 PM, said:

It doesn't look like it's coming out today...

View Post

Well, they have another 3.5 hours to manage a 5-15-05 release for me (Colorado time), and VP hasn't updated their website yet (shocking, I know), so I still have hope!

And is too early to start grumbling for an X3 port?

#38 Mandrake628

Mandrake628

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 11:18 AM

Is IMG's MacGameStore jumping the gun?  Perhaps they used the PC version's requirements to make an estimate.  Anyways, yet another deadline has passed.  I wonder when X3 is going to be released for PC?

Mandrake628

#39 Cunctator

Cunctator

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 02:45 AM

The Virtual Programming X2 website has been updated, it reads now: "This product will be in stock on Saturday 28 May, 2005."

And there are system requirements:
Minimum
1.25GHz G4
256 MB ram
2GB HD space
ATI Radeon 7000 or nVidia GeForce3 (although cutscenes will be slow)

Recommended
1.25GHz G4
256 MB ram
2GB HD free space
Video card: ATI Radeon 9600 or nVidia GeForce4 Ti

I wonder whether I can play it on my Dual 1GHz, 512MB, Radeon9000... Any thoughts? Anyway, I want a demo to test performance...

X2-Website

#40 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 07:15 AM

Cunctator, on May 18th 2005, 01:45 AM, said:

The Virtual Programming X2 website has been updated

Surely a sign of the apocolypse...