#21 BadVermin

BadVermin

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 02:53 PM

I wanted to like this game.

It started off good enough, the action is fast, the control is good.

HOWEVER, I can't recommend this game simply for one reason. When you destroy an enemy bits fly around that look just like the enemy, not a problem until after level 2, where you can't tell what's what. I most of the times I died I simply had no idea why.

No documentation. Bad bad....

Could be a classic with tweaking, but as is.. not good enough.

#22 Svein_Jarle

Svein_Jarle

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 03:26 PM

I found this game very exciting, and it's THE best game I've played - ever. It's hard, but I think the some of the idea is that you can't tell the difference of the living and the dead.. And believe me - It's getting WAY better on level 3, where you get to kill cards :)... A lot of fun... Remember to post your score over in the "shooter"-category..

#23 Hippieman

Hippieman

Freeverse Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 11:32 AM

Svein_Jarle, on April 1st 2005, 04:26 PM, said:

I found this game very exciting, and it's THE best game I've played - ever. It's hard, but I think the some of the idea is that you can't tell the difference of the living and the dead.. And believe me - It's getting WAY better on level 3, where you get to kill cards :)... A lot of fun... Remember to post your score over in the "shooter"-category..

View Post

We are about to release an update that does a few tweaks.

- Scaled down death graphics for the cards and sharks, so its easier to see whats going on.
- When unlocking certain things such as Jen outfits, its based on what has been unlocked before, such as you can't get "B" without unlocking "A"  However, one of the items is rather hard to unlock and thus pretty much cuts off anything beyond it.  We are going to simplify it a bit.
- Fixed some various preferences fixes
- Fixed a sound bug that would cause some people to lose sound.

This patch is in testing right now, expect to see it very soon!
Marathon: Durandal
The Ultimate Marathon experience
Reverof Nohtaram

#24 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 11:37 AM

Thank you!  Is there any possibility of adding in a "super easy" mode?  ;)

Hippieman, on April 4th 2005, 12:32 PM, said:

- Fixed a sound bug that would cause some people to lose sound.

View Post

I was wondering about that...I seem to experience sound loss during some boss fights or after certain deaths.  Originally thought it was a "feature" but apparently this isn't the case!  :lol:

#25 Hippieman

Hippieman

Freeverse Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 11:40 AM

MacProject, on April 4th 2005, 12:37 PM, said:

Thank you!  Is there any possibility of adding in a "super easy" mode?  ;)
I was wondering about that...I seem to experience sound loss during some boss fights or after certain deaths.  Originally thought it was a "feature" but apparently this isn't the case!  :lol:

View Post

We just released 1.0.2, which fixes some problems, its on MGF and www.freeverse.com
Reverof Nohtaram

#26 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 08:37 AM

Hippieman, on April 6th 2005, 12:40 PM, said:

We just released 1.0.2, which fixes some problems, its on MGF and www.freeverse.com

View Post

Do registered users have to download the new version again and re-enter their reg codes or do you guys have a patch in the works?

#27 Mr.PreacherMan

Mr.PreacherMan

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 09:08 AM

I just downloaded the new demo version and started it up. It picks up all your preferences and registration from the previous version without a hitch.

edit: The improved shark sprites are much appreciated! The original Waterworld level was the hardest by far, IMO, simply because of the visibility (or lack thereof) of the sharks.

#28 Hippieman

Hippieman

Freeverse Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:14 AM

MacProject, on April 7th 2005, 09:37 AM, said:

Do registered users have to download the new version again and re-enter their reg codes or do you guys have a patch in the works?

View Post

Preacher man pretty much answered it, but just download the new version, it knows your registered and uses your prefs.  The only time you'll need a new reg code is if you install on a new computer, or erase your current one.
Reverof Nohtaram

#29 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 10:15 PM

Hippieman, on April 7th 2005, 11:14 AM, said:

Preacher man pretty much answered it, but just download the new version, it knows your registered and uses your prefs.  The only time you'll need a new reg code is if you install on a new computer, or erase your current one.

View Post

The update definitely balances the game and makes it more enjoyable.  Gameplay seems a bit fairer.  
Well done Freeverse!

#30 Hippieman

Hippieman

Freeverse Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 09:49 AM

MacProject, on April 13th 2005, 11:15 PM, said:

The update definitely balances the game and makes it more enjoyable.  Gameplay seems a bit fairer. 
Well done Freeverse!

View Post

Another update is in the works, I can't say too much as its too early, but imagine if you will "more powerful weapons" (other things too of course)
Reverof Nohtaram

#31 George the Flea

George the Flea

IMG Comma Junkie

• IMG Writers
  • 680 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 April 2005 - 01:25 PM

Hippieman, on April 14th 2005, 07:49 AM, said:

Another update is in the works, I can't say too much as its too early, but imagine if you will "more powerful weapons" (other things too of course)

Uh oh.  Please don't make them too powerful.  The Excessive gameplay mode is slightly unbalanced because of the weapons (at least in survival).  After unlocking the extreme difficulty level (couldn't get it before the 1.0.2 update; thanks for that) I unlocked both of the Jen models that were up next in the space of about two minutes just by standing in the middle on survival with the flamethrower and spinning.  I haven't really played Excessive since then, because it just seems like a waste of time.  Insane difficulty is much more fun (still haven't been able to get over a minute in survival on insane; crazy difficult).

On the other hand, excessive is pretty fun just for the sheer novelty factor of having all the powered up weapons and seeing the body parts fly.  :D
Ian
IMG Flunky

Me + web = Beckism.com | Tagamac | One Crayon

#32 BBUCK

BBUCK

Fanatic

• IMG Writers
  • 83 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 01:56 AM

Hippieman, on April 14th 2005, 10:49 AM, said:

View Post

Thanks for the patch, really improves the game.  If you guys are making a new patch, I have an idea for a new feature.  This might be too tough to implement but...

Pretty much anyone who plays this game regularly has surely gotten tired of the one track of music it comes with.  I end up just running iTunes while I play.  Having good music to kill by is always a big plus for me.

But wouldn't it be cool if you could import your own music to play in the game.  Not only that, but be able to have different music on each different level.  Meaning one could have the "Burly Brawl" song from the Matrix Reloaded Soundtrack for The Construct level, or the Kill Bill theme for Snowy Showdown level.

If that won't work, maybe the game could feature iTunes integration like Burning Monkey Mahjong 2.  Maybe you guys could write some sort of script that would cycle to the next song in your playlist when you beat a level?  That way you could just have a "Kill Monty" playlist for whenever you want to kill in style.

If nothing else, just some basic iTunes integration would be great.

Just a thought, but it seems like it would make a really cool feature.  Keep up the good work.

#33 Hippieman

Hippieman

Freeverse Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 11:00 AM

BBUCK, on April 16th 2005, 02:56 AM, said:

Thanks for the patch, really improves the game.  If you guys are making a new patch, I have an idea for a new feature.  This might be too tough to implement but...
Pretty much anyone who plays this game regularly has surely gotten tired of the one track of music it comes with.  I end up just running iTunes while I play.  Having good music to kill by is always a big plus for me.

But wouldn't it be cool if you could import your own music to play in the game.  Not only that, but be able to have different music on each different level.  Meaning one could have the "Burly Brawl" song from the Matrix Reloaded Soundtrack for The Construct level, or the Kill Bill theme for Snowy Showdown level.

If that won't work, maybe the game could feature iTunes integration like Burning Monkey Mahjong 2.  Maybe you guys could write some sort of script that would cycle to the next song in your playlist when you beat a level?  That way you could just have a "Kill Monty" playlist for whenever you want to kill in style.

If nothing else, just some basic iTunes integration would be great.
Just a thought, but it seems like it would make a really cool feature.  Keep up the good work.

View Post

I will definitely pass that along, as Music was one of the downfalls in our IMG review.  I will say the title track was made in Garage Band!
Reverof Nohtaram

#34 amoyensis

amoyensis

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 02:24 PM

Love the demo.  Right now I'm abstaining from purchasing any games because I'm starting my exams very soon.

Here's my strategy:

Grab land mines, fill the screen, avoid all powerups (except 1-ups and more landmines); and never throw a grenade.  Ever.

#35 calumr

calumr

Zonic Games

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 05:25 AM

amoyensis, on May 2nd 2005, 08:24 PM, said:

Grab land mines, fill the screen, avoid all powerups (except 1-ups and more landmines); and never throw a grenade.  Ever.

Yep, that always works well for me - especially against the bosses. When you've laid down enough mines, you just need to run around the edge, dodging anything that gets fired at you until the boss has run into enough mines and been destroyed. By that point, all of the baddies are in a bunch in the centre, where they will stay if you just run around the edge planting mines, ready for the next wave.

#36 George the Flea

George the Flea

IMG Comma Junkie

• IMG Writers
  • 680 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 01:34 PM

calumr, on June 1st 2005, 03:25 AM, said:

Yep, that always works well for me - especially against the bosses. When you've laid down enough mines, you just need to run around the edge, dodging anything that gets fired at you until the boss has run into enough mines and been destroyed. By that point, all of the baddies are in a bunch in the centre, where they will stay if you just run around the edge planting mines, ready for the next wave.

You folks might want to start thinking up a new strategy if you start playing hard difficulty and up.  I've never found mines to be any use after normal difficulty simply because there are too many enemies on the screen at once to dodge them successfully, and grenades will destroy many of the mines that you've already dropped.

Personally, I just try to get a weapon upgraded as fast as possible (doesn't really matter which, except I avoid mines like the plague).  After about the fifth drop for a weapon that you pick up, you're going to be kicking some serious butt.

Oddly enough, with that strategy I often find that flamethrowers aren't the best choice, simply because until I get a level 3 flamer I'm as like as not to accidentally run over a power up as soon as it's droped.  The laser and the machine gun are probably the best at low levels, and if you can get the rail gun up to level four or so it's pretty incredible.
Ian
IMG Flunky

#37 Mr.PreacherMan

Mr.PreacherMan

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 08:10 AM

George the Flea, on June 1st 2005, 07:34 PM, said:

You folks might want to start thinking up a new strategy if you start playing hard difficulty and up.  I've never found mines to be any use after normal difficulty simply because there are too many enemies on the screen at once to dodge them successfully, and grenades will destroy many of the mines that you've already dropped.
I agree with a caveat. I like temporarily switching to mines when I have a small group left on the screen. Run circles around them (they'll stay in the center) and fill up the periphery with mines then wait a moment. The group in the center will move towards you and into the mines, unleashing the next wave and I just run aorund and pick up the first good powerup I find so I can start shooting again. Makes the next wave or two a piece of cake.

George the Flea said:

Oddly enough, with that strategy I often find that flamethrowers aren't the best choice, simply because until I get a level 3 flamer I'm as like as not to accidentally run over a power up as soon as it's droped.  The laser and the machine gun are probably the best at low levels, and if you can get the rail gun up to level four or so it's pretty incredible.

View Post

High-level railgun is definitely my favorite. It's a bit of a challenge getting it powered up, but so worth it.

Does anyone know if Excessive level weapons actually get more powerful? It is really hard to tell if you just went from a level 5 flamer to a level 6, for example, and I just can't tell if they're actually improving at all.

{ edit: I goofed. I meant excessive and said insane, leading poor George way off track in the reply. What I meant to ask is if the very powerful Excessive weapons actually go any higher as you collect more. It's hard to cound the triple shots because they're reasonably fast and the difference between 15 and 16 of them is pretty trivial. Maybe I should try to take some screen shots while shooting and sit there and count them before and after grabbing a seond or third powerup. }

#38 George the Flea

George the Flea

IMG Comma Junkie

• IMG Writers
  • 680 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 10:03 AM

Mr.PreacherMan, on June 2nd 2005, 06:10 AM, said:

Does anyone know if Insane level weapons actually get more powerful? It is really hard to tell if you just went from a level 5 flamer to a level 6, for example, and I just can't tell if they're actually improving at all.

Good idea with the mines.  The main reason that I avoid them at all costs is because I usually just focus on upgrading whichever weapon I pick up first as fast as possible, and mines can really screw with that.

I'm pretty sure that the weapons don't improve until Excessive, but then they get a huge boost.  Probably the easiest way to check would be to grab the triple shot weapon in hard, then play insane and see if there's any difference in the number of shots.
Ian
IMG Flunky

#39 iPod_man

iPod_man

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 11:19 PM

the mines things works well when alll the enemys are in the cetre, all you have to do is just run circles round them , laying mines,

another good one is to get your flamethrower up to the mac power and just stand somewhere and move the mouse in a circle while holding click... works well :)

another (and my favorite) is to get mines (more you have the better) and just hold click and throw and grenade where your laying them and you will turn into a running fireball :D

#40 Zaarock

Zaarock

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 06:05 AM

I dont even know how to unlock difficulties, i dont even have insane, could somebody tell me how?

oh yeah and for those who havent really unlocked any outfits, try these:

arena                           difficulty   time        unlock
Dr.Cote's Lab                 easy       1 minute  resident Jen
Wonderland                  normal     1 minute  Alice Jen

outfit while playing must always be default and mode of course survival

i hope you dont have to play the shark level on hard to unlock the next one....  :blink: