44 replies to this topic

#1 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 09:09 PM

Registered my copy this evening and have not regretted the purchase one bit!  

I've managed my way up to fourth wave where you're attacked by shark fins.  So far, I'm really loving the flame thrower and I'm finding it to be the weapon of choice in most situations.  The mine weapons also comes in handy as you can flood the enemy entrances with loads of the explosive devices to slow them down (plus they're very effective against the flying bosses!).  

I haven't unlocked any new "Jen" costumes, but I figure it's only a matter of time!  

Discuss any strategies and tips you find that work particularly well on the later levels!

#2 Mordok

Mordok

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 10:59 PM

Isn't this game a lot like the uDevgame, Kill Dr. Cote? In fact, isn't it almost exactly the same, bar some freeverse graphics, and extras?
I'm not complaining, just curious.

I haven't yet registered; played once, but probably will give money.

I'm not as good at this game than Dr. Cote. As soon as the level 1 boss appeared, I burst out laughing. I should have seen it coming, but I had to stop firing to just listen to his taunting...
I died.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world!"

#3 c15zyx

c15zyx

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 12:15 AM

Is the number of waves finite or infinite? Website doesn't say how many levels there are in total.

#4 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 09:55 AM

c15zyx, on March 16th 2005, 01:15 AM, said:

Is the number of waves finite or infinite? Website doesn't say how many levels there are in total.

View Post

Probably infinite.  
After you play through the final stage, the game likely loops from the beginning at a higher difficulty.

#5 almondblight

almondblight

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 11:02 AM

I was skeptical at first, but the extra polish does add a lot to the game.  The change in locations does give you a sense of progression, and really adds to that "oh, so close!" feeling.  Also, considering the amount of play I still give Kill Dr. Cote, I probably should give the developer some money.

#6 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 March 2005 - 11:35 AM

Mordok, on March 15th 2005, 11:59 PM, said:

Isn't this game a lot like the uDevgame, Kill Dr. Cote? In fact, isn't it almost exactly the same, bar some freeverse graphics, and extras?
I'm not complaining, just curious.

I haven't yet registered; played once, but probably will give money.

I'm not as good at this game than Dr. Cote. As soon as the level 1 boss appeared, I burst out laughing. I should have seen it coming, but I had to stop firing to just listen to his taunting...
I died.

View Post

It is Kill Dr. Cote. It's made by the same person (though the new graphics and sound were contributed by Freeverse people). It looks like they picked it up after seeing it in uDevGames, which is good to see! Go indie Mac developers! I'll definitely be registering this one.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#7 Sternum

Sternum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 01:05 PM

I've heard rumors that you can kill Jared. That's $12 well spent.

#8 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 02:10 PM

It took me a few games to figure out that wasd was strictly up down left right, independent of which direction Jen was facing, and that the mouse controlled the cursor. It became much more fun at that point :P
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#9 Quacker

Quacker

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 03:22 PM

nobody, on March 16th 2005, 10:35 AM, said:

It is Kill Dr. Cote. It's made by the same person (though the new graphics and sound were contributed by Freeverse people). It looks like they picked it up after seeing it in uDevGames, which is good to see! Go indie Mac developers! I'll definitely be registering this one.

View Post

awsome I really loved that game kill doctor kote and had the same impressions when I saw it.  Good for the guy who created it great game and good thing that he will be able to make money off of it.

#10 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 05:08 PM

Sternum, on March 16th 2005, 02:05 PM, said:

I've heard rumors that you can kill Jared. That's $12 well spent.

View Post

Yep, he makes an appearance very early in the game...the first wave to be exact!

#11 Hippieman

Hippieman

Freeverse Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 05:09 PM

MacProject, on March 16th 2005, 06:08 PM, said:

Yep, he makes an appearance very early in the game...the first wave to be exact!

View Post

If you can hear it over the carnage and bloodshed (errr red food coloring) he is also singing.
Marathon: Durandal
The Ultimate Marathon experience
Reverof Nohtaram

#12 Marble

Marble

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 07:11 PM

Wow.  So addictive!  Support original mac games indeed!  This is brilliant!

#13 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 03:13 AM

Hippieman, on March 16th 2005, 04:09 PM, said:

If you can hear it over the carnage and bloodshed (errr red food coloring) he is also singing.

View Post

You mean that giant smilie that shoots the fiery things? That singing is very annoying!
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#14 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 12:49 PM

What's the secret to unlocking more "Jen" costumes?  
If I set it on default, her costume changes at the start of a brand new wave.

#15 Mr.PreacherMan

Mr.PreacherMan

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 02:57 PM

MacProject, on March 21st 2005, 06:49 PM, said:

What's the secret to unlocking more "Jen" costumes? 
If I set it on default, her costume changes at the start of a brand new wave.

View Post

I haven't figured that one out either. I've unlocked all the difficulty levels, all the stages except the final one (Kill-Bill-esque... whatever it's called) and only one character ("Dark Shades Jen").

I'm pretty sure I unlocked the first several levels simply by advancing to the next one on Normal difficulty. Now I can't seem to get the final, samurai cat level unlocked no matter which difficulty I have it set upon.

I wasn't paying too close of attention at the time, but I think that the difficulty levels get unlocked once you finish a stage (whatever stage you may happen to be on) at the previous difficulty. ie: unlock insane by going from the Construct to the Lab on Hard difficulty. Unlock Excessive by doing it on Insane.

How I unlocked the one character that I did, I'm not sure. I don't think that any of them had to do with survival mode, at least.

Anyone have any clues?

#16 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 03:07 PM

Mr.PreacherMan, on March 21st 2005, 03:57 PM, said:

I haven't figured that one out either. I've unlocked all the difficulty levels, all the stages except the final one (Kill-Bill-esque... whatever it's called) and only one character ("Dark Shades Jen").

I'm pretty sure I unlocked the first several levels simply by advancing to the next one on Normal difficulty. Now I can't seem to get the final, samurai cat level unlocked no matter which difficulty I have it set upon.

I wasn't paying too close of attention at the time, but I think that the difficulty levels get unlocked once you finish a stage (whatever stage you may happen to be on) at the previous difficulty. ie: unlock insane by going from the Construct to the Lab on Hard difficulty. Unlock Excessive by doing it on Insane.

How I unlocked the one character that I did, I'm not sure. I don't think that any of them had to do with survival mode, at least.

Anyone have any clues?

View Post

Yeah, Dark Shades Jen is the only one I've unlocked so far and that was fairly early on if I recall.  I can't figure out if Survival mode is the key to unlocking anything...best I can do on that mode is just over 2 minutes (it gets tough really fast!).

#17 Hippieman

Hippieman

Freeverse Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 12:11 PM

MacProject, on March 21st 2005, 04:07 PM, said:

Yeah, Dark Shades Jen is the only one I've unlocked so far and that was fairly early on if I recall.  I can't figure out if Survival mode is the key to unlocking anything...best I can do on that mode is just over 2 minutes (it gets tough really fast!).

View Post

I don't want to give it away, but I'll say that the key to getting new "Jens" is survival mode, new stages is regular mode.  Try different difficulties.  Also try getting high scores for others goodies.

Lastly, if you are a spinal tap fan, you might notice something special.
Marathon: Durandal
The Ultimate Marathon experience
Reverof Nohtaram

#18 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 02:22 PM

Hippieman, on March 22nd 2005, 01:11 PM, said:

I don't want to give it away, but I'll say that the key to getting new "Jens" is survival mode, new stages is regular mode.  Try different difficulties.  Also try getting high scores for others goodies.

View Post

I see...will have to brush up on my survival mode skills then! :)
Thanks for the tips

#19 Mr.PreacherMan

Mr.PreacherMan

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 07:23 PM

Best one so far?

You have unlocked...

Nothing in particular!

... smart arse....

Yeah, like hippieman said... you can figure out how to unlock the characters if you just think about it for a minute.

#20 Mr.PreacherMan

Mr.PreacherMan

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 06:35 PM

Hippieman, on March 22nd 2005, 06:11 PM, said:

View Post

But.. But... This one goes to eleven.