#41 wickedsteve

wickedsteve

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 04:55 PM

AscheXL, on March 14th 2005, 05:25 PM, said:

If you're going to nit pick about fps than you need to go out and get a gf.

View Post

Oh great.  :o  My wife is not gonna like this one bit.   ;)
I serve too many masters.

#42 dj phat 2000

dj phat 2000

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 09:24 PM

GlendaAdams, on March 18th 2005, 03:38 PM, said:

What resolution are you running at when you see this happen? We had a problem with this in one case we thought we fixed, but it was only on the X800 with a 30" Cinema Display and the game set to 2560x1600 resolution.

Thanks,
Glenda

View Post

OK, now that is just freaking crazy...  You actually played this game at that resolution?  JezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzUS...

Any who...  The game crashed on me.  Not sure exactly at what point I can say.  but, I was on my way to ACO I believe.  I hit the console to the lift.  And it just froze up.  I could hear the sound, and still see.  However, no movement.  Then the screen went black.  And then I was back at my desktop.   No console or crash dump message.  

Not sure what else to report. Other then this game is FREAKING SCARY AS HELL.  HOLY GOD, HELP!!!!!!

Hehehe.  This game is sick nice.  I have done the mentioned tweaks, except the no shadows part, as I want the effect they would have on this game.  But, everything else I did.  There are slowdowns at some doors.  And while fighting at times, more the instant the thing happens, it can dip to below 15FPS on my system.  I have this game at max monitor resolution by the way.  I was playing for a good 40 minutes or so.  It can easily get up to the 60FPS max that the game goes to.  I would say it for the most part I would average about 35-40FPS.  And in the 25+ range when running for my freaking LIFE..   I'll take off shadows and see how much that helps as well.  

On a side note.  I did over clock the video card to 520/520.  If for nothing else, that most likely crashed the game.  However, there were never any artifacts while playing and I didn't have to restart my computer either after the game quit.  So, for what its worth, this is my story so far.

Great game.  SCARY, but really fun and hard even on the lowest recruit "aka" NooB setting.  Well, I haven't actually died yet, so maybe it is easy.  :)

Any more tweaks to know about, please post up.  
:D

PS. system config

Dual G5 1.8GHz
ATi X800 XT (overclocked 520MHz CPU/ 520MHz Memory)
4GB Ram
160GB SATA (OS drive and game is on same drive)
20" ADC cinema display
1680x1050 resolution for game play.

#43 Dr. Geebs

Dr. Geebs

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 05:58 AM

striderdm1, on March 18th 2005, 07:56 AM, said:

vertical sync on,
Isn't vsync going to be lowering your framerate?

#44 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 19 March 2005 - 06:15 AM

Dr. Geebs, on March 19th 2005, 12:58 PM, said:

View Post

If you don't reach the refresh rate it won't even matter ;)
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions.Aim higher.Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#45 rob_ART

rob_ART

Bare Feats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 08:36 AM

naki_naki, on March 18th 2005, 01:02 PM, said:

Also I got an off topic questions but does anyone know if Doom III for mac supports Widescreen resolutions like those found on Cinema Displays, imacs, and Powerbooks?  Would I be able to run Doom III at my native full screen 1680x1050 resolution or would I be stuck at 1024x768 and 1280x1024?  Considering how long Aspyr took with this port I sure hope Doom III for Mac supports widescreen resolutions since most of us have widescreen monitors.

View Post

Another way to set custom resolutions is the old Quake 3 method. Go to the Doom3Config.cfg file and edit the Custom settings. For example, to run mine at 1920x1200 on a 23" Cinema, I modified the commands this way:
seta r_customHeight "1200"
seta r_customWidth "1920"
seta r_fullscreen "1"
seta r_mode "-1"

If r_mode isn't set to -1, then it will start at the last resolution chosen in OPTIONS. If you change resolution in OPTIONS, r_mode will be set to a positive number between 1 and 8. The custom height and width will remain as you defined it. To restart in that custom setting, you set r_mode to -1 again.

I suggest you NOT go to the OPTIONS menu after launching Doom 3 or it might mess up the custom resolution. Just start game play or go to console and run the timedemo.

I have an alias of the config file in my Doom 3 folder to make it easy to open the config file in TextEdit to tweak it before launching Doom 3.
rob-ART morgan
mad scientist
BareFeats.com

#46 rob_ART

rob_ART

Bare Feats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 08:47 AM

ozzy, on March 18th 2005, 05:11 AM, said:

Just tried unpacking those files Rob.  My timedemo before was 35.2 FPS, and after it was 35.1 FPS, so virtually no difference.  It's probably due to the fact that I have a Dual 1.8 Ghz G5 vs. a single 1.5 Ghz G4.  Maybe that process gets offloaded to the second processor?  It could also be due to the tweaks I have done...

View Post

Yes. I tried unpacking on my Dual 2.5 and got no gain in speed. My theory is that it only benefits the mid to low end G4 Macs. I'm going to try unpacking on a Dual 1.42GHz Power Mac this morning with and without the second processor enabled in an attempt to nail down what combo benefits from unpacking.

Meanwhile, I've got a PowerBook 1.5GHz running very well at 800x600 Medium. Here's the history of tweaks:
Original frame rate with Shadows OFF: 18 fps
With unpacked .pk4 files: 24 fps
Setting Anisotropy to 0 using ATI overrides: 30fps
I wonder what would happen if I used ATIccelerator II to bump up the core clock speed and memory speed of the Radeon 9700 mobility --- moo ha ha
rob-ART morgan
mad scientist
BareFeats.com

#47 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 10:13 AM

rob_ART, on March 19th 2005, 08:47 AM, said:

Meanwhile, I've got a PowerBook 1.5GHz running very well at 800x600 Medium. Here's the history of tweaks:
Original frame rate with Shadows OFF: 18 fps
With unpacked .pk4 files: 24 fps
Setting Anisotropy to 0 using ATI overrides: 30fps
I wonder what would happen if I used ATIccelerator II to bump up the core clock speed and memory speed of the Radeon 9700 mobility --- moo ha ha

View Post

Overall, that's quite an impressive boost - Aspyr should put those tweaks in the readme for G4 owners.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#48 jdiv

jdiv

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 10:46 AM

Followed all the tweaks so far and I must say for a Dual 1Ghz 1gb RAM and a ATI 9800 the results aren't too shabby.  :)

http://homepage.mac....otoAlbum59.htmlScreenshots

#49 Caesar

Caesar

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 10:48 AM

jdiv, on March 19th 2005, 10:46 AM, said:

Followed all the tweaks so far and I must say for a Dual 1Ghz 1gb RAM and a ATI 9800 the results aren't too shabby.  :)

LOL  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

#50 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 11:15 AM

For other X800 owners: does on-screen text become fuzzy and almost unreadable when you turn on AF?

Atticus
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#51 rob_ART

rob_ART

Bare Feats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 11:31 AM

ozzy, on March 17th 2005, 11:35 PM, said:

Following Tweaks:
seta image_cacheMegs 256
seta image_useCache to 1
seta image_downSizeBumpLimit "512"
seta image_filter "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST"
seta image_anisotropy "0"
seta image_cacheMinK "20480"

I read that cacheMinK should be set to cacheMegs / 8 * 1024 which would make your setting 32768.

As for downSizeBumpLimit, I don't think your setting has any effect unless you turn ON downSizeBump with:
seta image_downSizeBump "1"

Also, since you have 128MB in your 9600XT, one PC tweak site suggested these settings for 128MB video ram cards:
seta image_downSizeBumpLimit "256"
seta image_downSizeSpecularLimit "64"
seta image_downSizeSpecular "1"

One more thing, you'll get another speed bump if you use the ATI Displays utility to set Anisotropic Filtering to OFF. I've used it on the PowerBooks and Power Macs with ATI cards and always get a faster framerate than just setting Anisotropy to 0 inside Doom 3 or in the config file.
rob-ART morgan
mad scientist
BareFeats.com

#52 rob_ART

rob_ART

Bare Feats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 11:34 AM

Atticus, on March 19th 2005, 05:15 PM, said:

For other X800 owners: does on-screen text become fuzzy and almost unreadable when you turn on AF?

Atticus

View Post

I've had the OPTIONS screens turn fuzzy at various settings. Ditto for the frame rate display at at the end of the timedemo run. Sometimes, I couldn't read the frame rate and had to switch to console mode to see the results.
rob-ART morgan
mad scientist
BareFeats.com

#53 AscheXL

AscheXL

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 11:39 AM

How do you open the files and get the cfg file?  :D

#54 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 11:43 AM

Dr. Geebs, on March 19th 2005, 04:58 AM, said:

View Post

No, i tested it on+off and there was no difference for any of the tests. Weird i know :)
AppleCrypt Mods  (as dead as a Dodo!)

#55 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 11:46 AM

rob_ART, on March 19th 2005, 10:31 AM, said:

I read that cacheMinK should be set to cacheMegs / 8 * 1024 which would make your setting 32768.

is this like disk cache? :?
tia
AppleCrypt Mods  (as dead as a Dodo!)

#56 dj phat 2000

dj phat 2000

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 12:53 PM

Ok guys, some quick Benchmarking of D3 on the following hardware

Dual G5 1.8GHz
4GB DDR 400
ATi X800 XT 256MB
** for this testing, I overclocked the graphics to 520MHz CPU, and 520MHz Memory**
OS X.3.8
20" Cinema Display 1680x1050 resolution (for game play as well)
160GB SATA, OS and game on drive

as a note I did the tweaks to my config file before running these tests.  Everything except the unpacking of those files mentioned.  I also only have AF off in the game settings not in ATi CP.

Standard in game settings using tweaks at High quality(all on in the advanced options, no Vsync)
26.9FPS = First run
28.6FPS = Second run

Same as above, no shadows
37.1FPS

I turn off everything in advanced
37.9FPS

For the most part, no shadows at the top settings looks great. I wasn't noticing a major difference in how the game looked. While I did know it was off by looking at the monsters in the game. It still looked great. And gives the best boost to FPS too boot. So, I will play with those settings.  As turning off the other stuff made the game look really bad, and didn't even help FPS.

Question i have is. Why does shadows effect the FPS so much?  What is doing the work?  Can an update fix that?

** Overclocking the card did NOT produce any bad effects on the game while testing or playing**

#57 wickedsteve

wickedsteve

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 03:18 PM

What does this do?

seta image_downSizeBumpLimit "512"

Is it better or faster at a higher or lower number????
I serve too many masters.

#58 ozzy

ozzy

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Steam Name:ozzy

Posted 19 March 2005 - 03:43 PM

rob_ART, on March 19th 2005, 12:31 PM, said:

As for downSizeBumpLimit, I don't think your setting has any effect unless you turn ON downSizeBump with:

Also, since you have 128MB in your 9600XT, one PC tweak site suggested these settings for 128MB video ram cards:
seta image_downSizeBumpLimit "256"
seta image_downSizeSpecularLimit "64"
seta image_downSizeSpecular "1"

One more thing, you'll get another speed bump if you use the ATI Displays utility to set Anisotropic Filtering to OFF. I've used it on the PowerBooks and Power Macs with ATI cards and always get a faster framerate than just setting Anisotropy to 0 inside Doom 3 or in the config file.

View Post

I adjusted my config file to include these settings.  Also, I used ATI Displays to turn Anisotropic Filtering to off.  Running the timedemo again at these I get 35.6 FPS, vs. 35.2 FPS before.  So a slight increase, but probably not anything noteworthy.  Nevertheless, I'll keep my settings like this from now on.

#59 Endymion

Endymion

Master Blaster

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1693 posts
  • Steam Name:Aleksael
  • Steam ID:Aleksael

Posted 19 March 2005 - 03:59 PM

Dr. Geebs, on March 19th 2005, 06:58 AM, said:

View Post

This is one of the most common misconceptions about computer gaming, and a lot of gamers have really lousy screen animation because they run with vsync off when the game is capable of exceeding the screen rate.

Whaleman is correct, if you don't reach the screen rate it will not make any difference. But if you do make the screen rate the chances are good that you will exceed it, and if you exceed it you are going to have undesirable results, and I don't just mean tearing, you'll have a crappily responsive game on your hands. The vsync only limits the animation beyond what is possible, and this can keep the framerate from jumping up and down wildly so you don't see only a fraction of a single frame on your screen jumbled with fractions of other screens drawn all at once--that's something that's almost as bad as sub-30fps gameplay.

#60 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 04:09 PM

rob_ART, on March 19th 2005, 06:36 AM, said:

Another way to set custom resolutions is the old Quake 3 method. Go to the Doom3Config.cfg file and edit the Custom settings. For example, to run mine at 1920x1200 on a 23" Cinema, I modified the commands this way:
seta r_customHeight "1200"
seta r_customWidth "1920"
seta r_fullscreen "1"
seta r_mode "-1"

If r_mode isn't set to -1, then it will start at the last resolution chosen in OPTIONS. If you change resolution in OPTIONS, r_mode will be set to a positive number between 1 and 8. The custom height and width will remain as you defined it. To restart in that custom setting, you set r_mode to -1 again.

I suggest you NOT go to the OPTIONS menu after launching Doom 3 or it might mess up the custom resolution. Just start game play or go to console and run the timedemo.

I have an alias of the config file in my Doom 3 folder to make it easy to open the config file in TextEdit to tweak it before launching Doom 3.

View Post

I'd recommend skipping all of the above and instead check out the Read me ;)  Only do the above if the Advanced Preferences doesn't allow you to choose the resolution you want.

From the Read Me:

Advanced Preferences

To access the Advanced Preferences in Doom 3, hold down the Command (⌘) key as you launch the game.

The Advanced Preferences permit you to run Doom 3 in a window, select a custom monitor refresh rate, select a custom resolution, and, if your Mac has more than one monitor, to choose the monitor on which Doom 3 will run.

Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM