#21 Caesar

Caesar

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 05:57 AM

ozzy, on March 17th 2005, 11:11 PM, said:

It's probably due to the fact that I have a Dual 1.8 Ghz G5 vs. a single 1.5 Ghz G4.

No, it's mostly due to HDs differences.
PBG4> 5400rpm HD
PMG5> 7200rpm HD

Unpacking the pk4 files (using a PC and WinRAR) i went from 20,1fps to 23,6 (LOWEST settings, 640x480) on my G4@1300/2GB RAM/ATI8500MacEdition.... not so bad.

#22 brent1a

brent1a

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 06:14 AM

Am I stupid (I usually am) but where in the world is DoomConfig.cfg? I opened the Doom 3 terminal and looked for all the stuff to tweak but none of it was there? I'm slightly lost, please help!

thanks

#23 bendermac

bendermac

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 06:49 AM

i can't get the console to be open as the command alt + ctrl + ~ doesn't work for me. i also entered the command line seta com_allowConsole "1" and still the ~ doesn't work. as i have a german keyboard i have to enter alt + n to get the ~ but just wont work.

can anyone help???

@ brenta1

the DoomConfig.cfg can be found here -> usr/library/application support/doom 3
movie trailer encoder for movie-list.com

#24 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 18 March 2005 - 06:55 AM

on european keyboards, the key next to the left shift (commonly </>) usually brings down the console, or shift+that button.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#25 naki_naki

naki_naki

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 07:02 AM

ozzy, on March 17th 2005, 07:11 PM, said:

Just tried unpacking those files Rob.  My timedemo before was 35.2 FPS, and after it was 35.1 FPS, so virtually no difference.  It's probably due to the fact that I have a Dual 1.8 Ghz G5 vs. a single 1.5 Ghz G4.  Maybe that process gets offloaded to the second processor?  It could also be due to the tweaks I have done...

View Post

I agree while Doom III may not be SMP aware Dual Processors seem to make a difference.  Rob_Arts Benchmarks seem to show that.  

http://barefeats.com/doom3b.html

Note how the imac 1.8Ghz G5 gets only 27FPS while the Dual 1.8 Power Mac gets 32FPS both with the same Geforce FX 5200.  Also of note is how a Dual 1.42 Power Mac w/ Radeon 9000 which is below spec beats the Powerbook 1.5Ghz with Radeon Mobility 9700.

Also I got an off topic questions but does anyone know if Doom III for mac supports Widescreen resolutions like those found on Cinema Displays, imacs, and Powerbooks?  Would I be able to run Doom III at my native full screen 1680x1050 resolution or would I be stuck at 1024x768 and 1280x1024?  Considering how long Aspyr took with this port I sure hope Doom III for Mac supports widescreen resolutions since most of us have widescreen monitors.

#26 Caesar

Caesar

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 07:10 AM

Whaleman, on March 18th 2005, 06:55 AM, said:

on european keyboards, the key next to the left shift (commonly </>) usually brings down the console, or shift+that button.

View Post

Go in your system preferences and select a USA keyboard layout before running Doom3.

#27 Caesar

Caesar

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 07:48 AM

How to unpack Doom3 pk4 files:

1) If you got a PC move all the pk4 files to the PC and than use WinRAR to unpack (preserve directories and sub-directories, replace when asked); than you have to move back to Mac all the files unpacked (about 2000 files in 3,7+GB).

2) If you don't have a PC or VirtualPC you can use Stuffit... but you have to move all the files to the right folders manually (i'm sure there is a way to do this easier on Mac too... but actually i haven't found it!)

Download this compressed txt file with all the files you should have in your base folder (and subfolders) after the unpacking process.

If someone knows how to unpack pk4 files on Mac preserving subfolders structure please reply to this tread :)

#28 bendermac

bendermac

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 08:04 AM

Caesar, on March 18th 2005, 06:48 AM, said:

If someone knows how to unpack pk4 files on Mac preserving subfolders structure please reply to this tread :)

use stuffit expander ;)

#29 gorilla

gorilla

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1109 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 08:08 AM

Anybody else have a Radeon 9800 Special Edition that's having issues with the "Special Effects" option under the advanced video tab in options?  With that selected, the reflection in windows gets all stretched out and non-transparent.  Explosions also have weird reflective effects as well as imp bombs.

I'd love to see those fixed! :P  The game runs awesome on high settings except for that stupid glitch.

#30 c15zyx

c15zyx

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 08:11 AM

I think he means preserving the current folder structure... ie placing the content into the correct 'existing' folder structure.

Although I haven't tried it (not at my Mac ATM) you can probably use a commandline application in the Terminal/X11 like 'rar', 'unrar' or something and it should preserve the heirarchy. I use the 'unzip' commandline app for installing UT2k4 mods, and it works wonders... just unzip to the UT2k4 directory and everything goes into the right folders.

Edit: Assuming that the file is really rar encoded, it might be a zip file that winrar accepts and unzips, as AFAIK Q3 pk3 files were just non-compressed zip archives.

#31 ehuelga

ehuelga

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Steam Name:El Spud

Posted 18 March 2005 - 08:47 AM

naki_naki, on March 18th 2005, 08:02 AM, said:

…does anyone know if Doom III for mac supports Widescreen resolutions

View Post

flargh (aka Pete Cohen, MacWorld Games columnist) answered that one a few posts back.

flargh, on March 3rd 2005, 01:18 PM, said:

Video support in this game is, in a word, awesome, thanks to Aspyr.

All you do is hold down the command key when you launch the game and you can specify custom resolutions not built-in to the game's video settings. You can also specify which screen you want to use, if you're running multiple displays, and even set specific refresh rates. And although there's a setting for this in the game's setup as well, that command screen offers you a choice of full-screen or windowed modes.

View Post

The commute from Mill Valley to Cupertino is a real bitch.

#32 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 08:56 AM

danny_gasperini, on March 18th 2005, 12:37 AM, said:

That represents a 25% speed increase on a single processor computer with 128Mb of VRAM without changing a single graphic or audio setting!!!! I'd be interested to see how other computers fare (although it would seem from the above post that a Dual Processor machine may not benefit). Certainly warrants another barefeats page to investigate this :)

View Post

i've just unpacked those 4 pk4 files and notice no speed improvement at all, i'm still at 47fps. (this seems to be my best average without shadows at low video quality. 46fps at medium and (iirc) 44fps at high). all using timedemo 1 fwiw.

But in-game framerates jump all over the place, it really does depend on where u r, obviously. Anything from 20fps to over 100.

I've now decided to stick with: no shadows, vertical sync on, medium video quality and fsaa @ 4x (cos it looks nice and i notice no in-game slow down even if the time demo with fsaa is around 8fps slower!). For all out there that have it, i'd recomend using the timedemo as an general idea. But play the game with your prefered settings and see how it feels.  imho:)

Edit: sorry, i meant with shadows in the bold text above :} Plays great!
AppleCrypt Mods  (as dead as a Dodo!)

#33 naki_naki

naki_naki

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 08:59 AM

ehuelga, on March 18th 2005, 04:47 AM, said:

flargh (aka Pete Cohen, MacWorld Games columnist) answered that one a few posts back.

View Post

Thanks for the answer!  It would be interesting to see  Doom III running at a native 1920X1200 or 2560X1600!!  Sure we might see only single digit frame rates at resolutions that high but as better GPUs, drivers, and CPUs come along it may be playable in the near future at Super High Resolutions.

#34 Caesar

Caesar

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 10:24 AM

c15zyx, on March 18th 2005, 08:11 AM, said:

Edit: Assuming that the file is really rar encoded, it might be a zip file that winrar accepts and unzips, as AFAIK Q3 pk3 files were just non-compressed zip archives.

View Post

I think it's a zip archive.
With the cli unrar it doesn't worked for me because it's not a rar archive.

I've to read some tar/untar man pages... i'm pretty sure there is a way to do this on Mac too... ie. an easy/automatic way of course :)

#35 bendermac

bendermac

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 10:29 AM

i was finally able to get the timedemo to run ;) and i made some very strange experiences. it was recommend to unpack the files pak001 - 004 which could increase the speed as the game wouldn't need to decommpres the files. i run the timedemo with the pk4 and the unpacked ones. of course i removed the files/folders not needed when i run the test.

here are the results...

with unpacked files: 19.8fps

with packed files: 34.7fps

as you can see the game runs faster on my dual g5 2.5ghz with 1.5gb ram with the packed files. both test runs had the same video settings and now this lets me really wonder. but on the other hand i'm happy with it and it safes me some 3gb of free space ;)

#36 Caesar

Caesar

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 10:30 AM

striderdm1, on March 18th 2005, 08:56 AM, said:

i've just unpacked those 4 pk4 files and notice no speed improvement at all, i'm still at 47fps. (this seems to be my best average without shadows at low video quality. 46fps at medium and (iirc) 44fps at high). all using timedemo 1 fwiw.

Did you unpacked all the files correctly?
You should have 19000+ files in about 3,7GB organized like this.
We still have to understand how much (and when) this tweak helps.

But in-game framerates jump all over the place, it really does depend on where u r, obviously. Anything from 20fps to over 100.

Usually unpacking pk4 files should help when your system swaps when opening a door or things like that. And it should be really usefull if you're using a slow HD.

#37 AscheXL

AscheXL

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 10:47 AM

How do you make it run in widescreen? I have a 20" cinema display

#38 dj phat 2000

dj phat 2000

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:28 AM

rob_ART, on March 17th 2005, 12:21 PM, said:

I tried it. Actually, all you need to enter is "timedemo demo1 1" and it does the same thing. When I run with that option on the PCs, the first run is as fast or faster than the second. But on the Mac, I often still get 2 fps faster if I do a second run. So I'm still doing two runs for testing.

I also used the "bind" command in the config file to program the function keys to enter the timedemo command for me to make testing faster.

I'll try unpacking the pak4 files as suggested to see if there are any gains.

View Post

I'm going to give that a try when I get this game>  I HOPE TODAY!!!

How would you rate the overclocking of the Ati X800 XT card?  Does it really help much in doing it?  I think i was able to clock mine up to 520CPU/520 memory safely (tested it for a full day playing games).  If it is just a few FPS then I will not even bother but, if it is like 10+ then I'll shoot for that in tweaking the game as well.  I really want to run with shadows on.  This game is creapy and I think that would take away from the total effect of it all.  1680x1050 is the target resolution I want to play it at while I have this Cinema display to work with.  After I give it back (very reluctantly of course)  I have a 19" CRT trinitron that will do just nicely at any resolution as well.  So, I could tweak it even more.

From looking at the other settings to use here.  I am thinking (could be wrong) that NOT unzipping those files will be just fine for me as I have a dual 1.8 G5.  Just want to make sure of that.  However, if it will help then I'll surely do that as well.  I also have 4GB of ram.  Should I double those settings there?  The 512 should be for me 1024 right?  :)

#39 c15zyx

c15zyx

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 12:28 PM

Caesar, on March 18th 2005, 09:24 AM, said:

I think it's a zip archive.
With the cli unrar it doesn't worked for me because it's not a rar archive.

I've to read some tar/untar man pages... i'm pretty sure there is a way to do this on Mac too... ie. an easy/automatic way of course :)

View Post

If it's a zip file, just changedir to where you want to extract then do 'unzip path/to/archive/here.zip'. I believe a lot of these commandline utilities are installed with the default Mac OS X installation (as opposed to with the developer tools only) so this would work on basically any Mac OS X system. I think there are some GUI options on VersionTracker or MacUpdate that may have the preserve heirarchy feature for those who want to look for zip proggies.

#40 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 04:38 PM

gorilla, on March 18th 2005, 07:08 AM, said:

Anybody else have a Radeon 9800 Special Edition that's having issues with the "Special Effects" option under the advanced video tab in options?  With that selected, the reflection in windows gets all stretched out and non-transparent.  Explosions also have weird reflective effects as well as imp bombs.

I'd love to see those fixed! :P  The game runs awesome on high settings except for that stupid glitch.

View Post

What resolution are you running at when you see this happen?  We had a problem with this in one case we thought we fixed, but it was only on the X800 with a 30" Cinema Display and the game set to 2560x1600 resolution.

Thanks,
Glenda
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software