C&C Generals Zero Hour Multiplayer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ageis11

ageis11

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 12:13 PM

Hi, I'd like to purchase Generals along with Zero Hour for my brother who has a MAC.  I have both Generals and Zero Hour for my PC.  My question is can we play online against each other?  I've read conflicting information regarding this.  I saw where someone from Aspyr made a reference to the latest patch solving multiplayer games with foreign versions.  I thought this may mean that it now plays with PC version but wanted to be sure.  Thanks for the help! :D

#2 i5works

i5works

i5works Entertainment Software

• Developer
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 12:42 PM

ageis11, on March 5th 2005, 10:13 AM, said:

Hi, I'd like to purchase Generals along with Zero Hour for my brother who has a MAC.  I have both Generals and Zero Hour for my PC.  My question is can we play online against each other?  I've read conflicting information regarding this.  I saw where someone from Aspyr made a reference to the latest patch solving multiplayer games with foreign versions.  I thought this may mean that it now plays with PC version but wanted to be sure.  Thanks for the help! :D

View Post

It's Mac vs. Mac only for multiplayer. Foreign versions refers to the Mac French and German versions of the game.

#3 王將軍

王將軍

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 12:44 PM

Nope, neither CCG or ZH can be played cross-platform due to the coding of the game.

Sorry to disappoint you.  :(

#4 ageis11

ageis11

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 12:53 PM

王將軍, on March 5th 2005, 01:44 PM, said:

Nope, neither CCG or ZH can be played cross-platform due to the coding of the game.

Sorry to disappoint you.  :(

View Post

Oh well that stinks and it doesn't sound like something that can be "fixed" bummer! :(   Thanks for the help! :)

#5 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 04:30 PM

ageis11, on March 5th 2005, 12:53 PM, said:

Oh well that stinks and it doesn't sound like something that can be "fixed" bummer! :(   Thanks for the help! :)

View Post

I got a fix for you -- buy a Mac  :)
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#6 ageis11

ageis11

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 08:21 AM

bookman, on March 5th 2005, 05:30 PM, said:

I got a fix for you -- buy a Mac  :)

View Post

Yeah or get my brother to buy a PC!  No way that's happening as he's a graphics designer and loves his MAC as I'm sure everyone in this forum does!! ;)

#7 fahad

fahad

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:38 PM

Is that the deal with all multi-player games? I am thinking in getting the new G5 imac and I would like to be able to play with my intel pc friends warld of war craft and probably other games?
sorry for replaying on an old thread but it was relevent :)

#8 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:40 PM

WoW works just fine mac/PC, so that wouldn't be an issue.

Here's a list of games that works.

I can't guarantee it's all up to date anymore, but we try to keep it so.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#9 fahad

fahad

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 09:32 AM

Thanks! Thats 2 for mac 1 for dell  ;)

#10 2112

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 11:05 AM

It would be -extremely- nice if Aspyr released a version of Zero Hour for the Intel Macs that supports Mac vs. PC multiplayer.

#11 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 01:20 PM

wasnt it a timing issue between either Opengl and DirectX or OSX and XP??? so not hardware related? or perhaps it was a case of endian differences that led to out of sync being the reason for this incompatibility... Cant remember, but it can be proven if it could work or not by finding the related info...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#12 fahad

fahad

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 09:51 AM

2112, on October 20th 2005, 06:05 PM, said:

It would be -extremely- nice if Aspyr released a version of Zero Hour for the Intel Macs that supports Mac vs. PC multiplayer.

View Post

I have emailed Aspyr about that issue and they have respnded with a very well written email:-

Original Question
Can I play  multiplayer game with a Windows pc and if not will it be possible in the future and if there is any possible solution for that issue ?

Aspyr Media Support Response

Hello, Fahad. Cross-platform PC to Mac network play is a top priority for Aspyr when we are developing all of our Mac games. For Command & Conquer Generals, very specific and fundamental technical issues with the game engine prevented us from supporting PC to Mac play. This was such a high priority feature for us that we delayed the release from the original target date to spend additional development time trying to resolve the problem. After working exhaustively on the problem and consulting Apple's best engineers we found there was no workable solution, and we had to make the difficult decision to only support Mac to Mac network play.
All apologies for the inconvenience.  Have a great day.

Aspyr Support Team

For more prompt service, please include all previous correspondence in your replies.
www.aspyr.com/support/

#13 2112

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 01:05 PM

that looks a lot like a preformatted mail. Anyway, here's a little more on the topic, including Glenda's answer.

http://www.insidemac...showtopic=20604