98 replies to this topic

#81 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:26 PM

MoM was patched today (7-7-06), so all these changes are active!
More complete patch list here.
Still about $30 with no monthly fee!

#82 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 07:44 PM

View Postmacpete, on September 7th 2006, 03:32 PM, said:

http://www.prairiega...p?p=29517#29517

UB is coming ... this game really deserves more attention now :)

MacPete posted this in the news discussion and I figured it deserved mentioning here as well! Yes, Prairie Games is putting together a Universal Binary for Minions of Mirth! Still a very large Mac community (including a few of us with developer credits). Support your indie game developers!

#83 macpete

macpete

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Steam ID:pcristofol

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:56 AM

View PostRev-O, on September 10th 2006, 01:44 AM, said:

MacPete posted this in the news discussion and I figured it deserved mentioning here as well! Yes, Prairie Games is putting together a Universal Binary for Minions of Mirth! Still a very large Mac community (including a few of us with developer credits). Support your indie game developers!

Thanks Rev-O.

Pietro Cristofoli
Ora d'Aria Team
tumblr

-------------------

#84 Auron

Auron

Billowing Smokestack of BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:33 AM

View PostRev-O, on September 9th 2006, 09:44 PM, said:

Right on. I've had the game since the beta and its alot of fun.

#85 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 12 September 2006 - 03:54 PM

They put out a UB version and I'm in.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#86 macpete

macpete

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Steam ID:pcristofol

Posted 23 September 2006 - 10:38 AM

View PostDaveyJJ, on September 12th 2006, 09:54 PM, said:

They put out a UB version and I'm in.

Posted Image

http://www.prairiega...opic.php?t=4443

:)

Pietro Cristofoli
Ora d'Aria Team
tumblr

-------------------

#87 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:25 PM

Coolness! Now I just need a new C2D MBP...

#88 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:25 PM

MacBook and Mac Mini owners take notice!
Intel system requirements: Mac Mini with a gig of ram.
That's it. Spooky.
The Intel Build was done largely on a Mini :blink: with a gb of ram and it supposedly runs very nicely... GMA 950 and all. 512mb ram and GMA 950 should be quite playable with some settings dropped. According to the developer, a Mini with a gb of ram and Intel Integrated Grahpics is on par with his G5 PowerMac PPC dev rig. Sounds nice for Mactel owners!

#89 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:09 AM

Is the free/demo version also UB? Downloading now to find out.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#90 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:50 AM

View PostDaveyJJ, on October 3rd 2006, 05:09 AM, said:

Is the free/demo version also UB? Downloading now to find out.

afaik the demo is UB as well.

#91 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:48 AM

View Postmacpete, on September 23rd 2006, 12:38 PM, said:

Damn, that looks a lot better than it does on my computer.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#92 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 12:15 PM

View PostRev-O, on October 3rd 2006, 08:50 AM, said:

afaik the demo is UB as well.

Cool. I'm at work but will install when home.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#93 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 04:41 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on October 3rd 2006, 12:15 PM, said:

Cool. I'm at work but will install when home.

I've linked to a Prairie Games Forum Thread concerning UB issues with MoM to save you some diggind around if you encounter any issues. Keep in mind that if you post a specific question on the boards over there, you often get a response from the devs almost immeadiately. Every post on the board is read by a member of the dev community, so very little goes unnoticed or unanswered.
Hope you enjoy the game!

#94 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 09:11 AM

View PostRev-O, on September 9th 2006, 07:44 PM, said:

Nothing new here but I thought I'd clarify the "very large Mac community" thing. Fwiw, Mac users are about 30% of the user base in Minions of Mirth, which isn't too bad.

#95 the_cloudgazer

the_cloudgazer

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:10 AM

I've just downloaded the free mac version.

Can't wait to get home and see if it works!

This will be my first foray into online gaming.

#96 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:06 AM

I'm considering jumping into MoM and giving it another look. Can anyone tell me how solo friendly this game is, how large can parties be, how level sensitive it is, and how much territory is there to explore?

Having read the IMG MoM Review, I'm also curious about how solo play differs from online play as far as changing things in the world? Is it like WoW in that everything resets after a short period of time and the big picture is that everything ultimately stays the same?

Thanks!

#97 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 05:58 PM

View PostHuntn, on November 21st 2006, 08:06 AM, said:

I'm considering jumping into MoM and giving it another look. Can anyone tell me how solo friendly this game is, how large can parties be, how level sensitive it is, and how much territory is there to explore?

Having read the IMG MoM Review, I'm also curious about how solo play differs from online play as far as changing things in the world? Is it like WoW in that everything resets after a short period of time and the big picture is that everything ultimately stays the same?

Thanks!

I can give you a bunch of info, but it may be a bit out of date. I've written a large amount of lore, quests, spawns, etc for the fine folks at Prairie Games, but real life has prevented me from working on MoM for about the past 6 months :(

Solo vs Multi: imho the game is designed to be an mmorpg. Yes, you can play solo but it does have a certain lack of permanance to it. Kill of a bad guy within a quest and the bad guy will eventually respawn. Drops off of spawns have different drop rates, which lead to camping on spawns to get the good stuff. In a mmorpg these are necessary evils, but they hurt the single player experience for me.
The plus side to single player is that you can have 6 characters in a party, each character having three classes (levels are capped at 100), each class having an various quests. Ideally, each class a low level (level 20ish) quest and a high level (level 60ish) quest. THis is not quite the case, as these quests are part of what I was doing, and I know that I've left a small bit of unfinished business, but for the most part this is the case. Anyways, there is a bunch of content to work through. If you get ambitious, the game is easily modable with python.

The world is pretty damn big, with new zones being introduced every once in awhile. It has enough content to keep you busy for a long time. Players spend a bit of time running, but not as much in other mmorpgs (or so I've been told). Kinda nice that when playing single player you can still chat with other people playing single or multi using the ingame IRC. The graphics are not bleeding edge, but I always found them very nice. Lower polygon numbers = increased playability. Keep in mind that MoM is processor bound not so much GPU bound. That's why it screams along on a Core Duo Mini with 1 gb of ram, horrible GMA 950 an all. It is playable on a 1 GHz G4, but with settings lowered. I played it for a bit on an 800 MHz G4 iBook and with some careful adjusting it was doable.

Of course it is a UB. This makes it a very nice mmorpg for people with MacBooks and Minis. The demo is basically the normal game with a level cap and some items blocked, iirc. Playing the demo will give a good feel of the game. At $30 with no monthly fee it is a deal. Check it out. Any questions, feel free to ask!

#98 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 22 November 2006 - 09:25 AM

View PostRev-O, on November 21st 2006, 05:58 PM, said:

Any questions, feel free to ask!

Thanks Rev for the info and the offer! :)

View PostRev-O, on November 21st 2006, 05:58 PM, said:

Kinda nice that when playing single player you can still chat with other people playing single or multi using the ingame IRC.

Can you explain the difference between single player versus multi? Is the single player mode offline or online? Is that like playing in a huge instanced space?

#99 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 11:31 AM

View PostHuntn, on November 22nd 2006, 08:25 AM, said:

Thanks Rev for the info and the offer! :)
Can you explain the difference between single player versus multi? Is the single player mode offline or online? Is that like playing in a huge instanced space?

Single player can be offline or online. In single player mode with an active connection you can chat via MoM's IRC client with anybody in multiplayer or other folks playing singleplayer that have logged into the IRC client. You can also talk from outside of the game to people playing online using an indepentdent IRC client (I use Colloquy, which works pretty well). Of course there are like 6 different chat channels (global, zone, say, tell, off topic, help, etc.).
So single player is just what you'd expect: solo play, but with the chance to chat with people. So if ya get stuck on where a quest NPC is you can ask on the help channel for a nudge in the right direction.

Also a bonus is the 30% Mac base in MoM. Mac success is vital to Prairie Games, so they really do support us!