#41 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 06:13 PM

Eric5h5, on November 14th 2005, 12:27 PM, said:

Yo, Porky!  Actually, what IS the deal with the name?  The creators know what "mirth" means, yes?  No?  The game doesn't seem overly humorous....

I'm wondering if the graphic stuttering is due to some sort of suboptimal resource management.  As I mentioned, I only have the problem when turning.  Moving forward or back is always smooth, even with view distance on max, so my graphics card can handle it just fine.  There don't seem to be enough polygons or that a 256MB card should be having problems like that? 

--Eric

View Post

Dunno what the graphic issue is. I do know that Josh (programmer) has put a lot of effort into optimizing the OS X side of the game. When my G5 returns from the grave (dead logic board! Argh!) I'll give it a whirl and check out the turning issue.

Mirth? Yah, the game isn't really that humorous, is it? There are a few spots here and there for humor, but over all it is pretty serious. In some fashion, I am partially to blame for that. Sorry! The only excuse I have is that Robert E. Howard (in The Nemedian Chronicles) described Conan the Barbarian as "... a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet." Now Conan was hardly Mirthful, eh? Lame excuse, I know! ;)

#42 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 09:21 PM

Rev-O, on November 15th 2005, 07:13 PM, said:

The only excuse I have is that Robert E. Howard (in The Nemedian Chronicles) described Conan the Barbarian as "... a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet." Now Conan was hardly Mirthful, eh? Lame excuse, I know! ;)

Well, that tells me that Conan doesn't experience things in half measures.  I'm sure he can be mirthful at times (and gigantically so)...surely he doesn't spend ALL his time hacking enemies to bits?  :)  My own little pet theory about the name (now shot down in flames) was that "Mirth" was sort of an abbreviation for or meant to be suggestive of "Middle Earth."

--Eric

#43 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 09:30 PM

Eric5h5, on November 15th 2005, 08:21 PM, said:

Well, that tells me that Conan doesn't experience things in half measures.  I'm sure he can be mirthful at times (and gigantically so)...surely he doesn't spend ALL his time hacking enemies to bits?  :)  My own little pet theory about the name (now shot down in flames) was that "Mirth" was sort of an abbreviation for or meant to be suggestive of "Middle Earth."

--Eric

View Post

My recollection of REH Conan stories is not the best (been a number of years), but IIRC when he found things amusing, people often died!

Mirth = Mi(ddle) (Ea)rth? Say, that's a cool notion! Afaik, Mirth is the name of the 'world' the game takes place in. Therefore Minions of Mirth would be all the inhabitants of that world.

#44 reznamac

reznamac

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 12:57 PM

Hello everyone! Just wanted to point out a new Online RPG game called Minions of Mirth. Its in beta right now and will go live in about a month. http://www.prairiegames.com/games.html is the link. I suggest people to download the demo or pre order it for $25 to get a head start of how to play the game before it goes live (about a month). Im not a developer or anything for the game but I find the game to be very fun and has all the good parts of current online games such as AC1, EQ, UO, WOW and diablio II.. Heres a some of the current key features of the game (pasted from the site).

Gameplay Features:

Windows and OSX support!
Massively Single Player Gameplay™!!!
Cooperative and Player vs Player Multiplayer
No monthly service fees for Multiplayer!
Autopatcher delivers immediate content and feature upgrades!!!
Host your own persistent worlds with your own original content!
Immortal access to your own world where you can control time, weather, spawns, items, etc
10 playable races with distinct look, feel, and SIZE!!! Huge Drakken and tiny little Halflings!!!
Beautiful zones with huge playable area and vistas! Dark dungeons and sprawling wilderness!
2 hours of original music!
Masterfully animated 3d monster models with stunningly realistic textures
Spine-chilling sound effects!
Day/Night cycles with gameplay tied to time of day
Immersive weather effects based on zone climate
Multiclass your characters all the way to level 100 in up to 3 classes!
Material based clothing system
Over 50 3d weapon models
100's of in game items with high resolution graphics and magical effects!
Political Factions
Quest Journal
Online Help
Vendors sell items and restock at regular intervals
Trade items and currency with other players!
3d Automap
Versatile Spell System (invisibility, wind walking, Teleportation, Healing, Nukes, DoTs, etc)
Summon pets, equip them, and order them to destroy your foes!
Powerful Skills (Feign Death, Bloodletting, Rage, Volitation, Archery, Grevious Wound, Precise Shot, etc)
Form your own party of up to 6 characters
Form multiplayer alliances with up to 36 characters
Add, remove, or even create new characters at Inns, without ever leaving the game!
Powerful modding system including RPG Database (with live recompiles) and Realtime Zone Editing
Advanced users can SSH into their world and edit the game while it's running from an interactive Python shell.
Global, World, Zone, Area, Alliance, and Private chat channels
Global Chat system is hooked up to IRC, so you can chat with people in and out of the game, even spanning worlds!

I think this game will be the best online game for Mac OSX for along time (and im a big online rpg player). Have fun.

#45 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 08:21 PM

Not to be critical, but there is an existing thread here about MoM. Yah, It is a killer game! Thx for the plug tho, and keeping the topic alive.

Target day for release is less than 3 weeks a way right now, and the game continues to grow by leaps and bounds. More quests being added, crafting system being refined, etc. Worth looking into!

[Edit - I merged his thread into this preexisting thread - tBC]

#46 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 09:52 AM

There is a possibility now that playable creatures are going to be added to the game, possibly as a reward for finishing off the central plot lines :)

I think this is a very cool idea! Imagine starting the game over as a Giant, Werewolf, Crocodile, etc, and leveling up! Something about being a level 60 Skeleton with full inventory control and skills strikes me as hilarious! Nothing set in stone yet, but this is one of the little details that sets MoM apart from other mmorpgs.

#47 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 04:02 PM

Okay, so I just got done kicking around the Beta test as a Dust Mite, a Scorpius (Scorpion-human centaur like thing) and a big ass Gold Dragon. It was hilarious! Playing as a dragon terrorizing the innocent people was quite fun. I felt like Trogdor! Actually, the Dust Mite was even better, because it was so silly: running around as a beetle attacking things. As monsters, you still get to level up and all that jazz, so I can have a level 100 Dust Mite! Woot!

#48 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:54 PM

Posted Image

Gratuitous screenshot.

#49 Dark uk

Dark uk

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 06:08 AM

Lol wow, this game has come on leaps and bounds since I alpha, beta tested from around June to september. It's a pitty I didn't have time to continue testing it, looks like a great game still.

#50 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 02:49 PM

It's great to see a new company stepping in with such a promising looking cross-platform game. The breadth of gamplay possibilities is quite impressive. So depending on my mood I could play solo, play mutiplayer for free on Prairiegames' own server or host my own custom world ^_^

Looking forward to playing when it goes gold this 15th! As an aside this is my second Mac game purchase after EV: Nova - I'm a new convert to Mac OS X and thus far have been more involved in maxing out my Digital Audio Powermac  :D

#51 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 10:25 AM

Sargiel, on December 3rd 2005, 01:49 PM, said:

It's great to see a new company stepping in with such a promising looking cross-platform game. The breadth of gamplay possibilities is quite impressive. So depending on my mood I could play solo, play mutiplayer for free on Prairiegames' own server or host my own custom world ^_^

Looking forward to playing when it goes gold this 15th! As an aside this is my second Mac game purchase after EV: Nova - I'm a new convert to Mac OS X and thus far have been more involved in maxing out my Digital Audio Powermac  :D

View Post

If you pre-order the game now ($25) you get full acess to play testing the beta version. Now that only gives you a 2 week jump on the game, but it will let you have the inside ear on the chaos that builds a couple of weeks before an release! Post Gold release content is already in the pipe as well, so for your investment you should be aware that this project is not just going to be abandoned.

Hope you enjoy it
Ingame as KBro

#52 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 09:40 AM

Minions of Mirth is now officailly available! The release version is available at Prairie Games for $25 thru PayPal. After the first of the year the game is going up in price to $30ish.
cool beans!

#53 macgallant

macgallant

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 11:34 AM

What are the system requirements for Minions of Mirth for the Mac version? I went to Prairie Games website but I couldn't find any info on system requirements.
MDD PowerMac G4 Dual 867Mhz: 128MB Radeon 9800 Pro, 2GB Ram, 80GB OEM HD & 160GB Seagate HD
, ViewSonic VA2012wb 20" Widescreen LCD, Belkin USB 2 PCI card, Logitech Z-2200 THX 2.1 Speakers, Apple Keyboard & 5 button Superman Mouse, XBox Live webcam, Superdrive & combo drive
, MacOSX 10.5.6 Leopard/b]
Black MacBook Core 2 Duo  2.2 GHz: 4 GB Ram, 250 GB HD, Superdrive, Maxtor Onetouch 4 external 500GB HD, Microsoft LaserDesktop for Mac
, [b]Mac OSX 10.5.6 Leopard

#54 Auron

Auron

Billowing Smokestack of BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 04:23 PM

macgallant, on December 14th 2005, 12:34 PM, said:

What are the system requirements for Minions of Mirth for the Mac version? I went to Prairie Games website but I couldn't find any info on system requirements.

View Post

I don't think they really list them, but I have a system slower than yours and it runs fine,  so you should be ok. I'd guestimate the requirements are around 800mhz and 32mb vram.

#55 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 05:15 PM

I run MoM on a first gen Dual 2GHz G5 with 3.5 GB ram and a Nvidia 6800 Ultra on a 30" display at 2560x1600, and it runs really well with what I'd call 'good' graphics settings. I tried running it on my iBook which is an 800GHz G4 with a (I believe) 32mb Radeon 9200 and it was not so good, but I never invested anytime tweaking the graphics setting to get it run good (just went and played it on the G5 instead). From discussions among windoze people playing it, I would think with very little hassle I could play it on my iBook, because some windoze people have been having a blast playing it on some low end hardware. MoM is very CPU intensive and not so GPU intensive, from what the game programmer has told me. But I would think a dual 867 with a 9800 would do just fine. Unfortunately, I haven't talked to many Mac people playing the game, so I don't have a good feel for what kind of harware it needs.

The developer is doing his work on a G5, so he doesn't have much of a feel for what is the basic system reqs either, so I'll throw up a post over at Prairie Games to see what kind of Mac harware people are using!

#56 macgallant

macgallant

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 06:06 PM

Thanks, Rev-O! :D
MDD PowerMac G4 Dual 867Mhz: 128MB Radeon 9800 Pro, 2GB Ram, 80GB OEM HD & 160GB Seagate HD
, ViewSonic VA2012wb 20" Widescreen LCD, Belkin USB 2 PCI card, Logitech Z-2200 THX 2.1 Speakers, Apple Keyboard & 5 button Superman Mouse, XBox Live webcam, Superdrive & combo drive
, MacOSX 10.5.6 Leopard/b]
Black MacBook Core 2 Duo  2.2 GHz: 4 GB Ram, 250 GB HD, Superdrive, Maxtor Onetouch 4 external 500GB HD, Microsoft LaserDesktop for Mac
, [b]Mac OSX 10.5.6 Leopard

#57 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 06:44 AM

I can second the ascertion that MoM is more CPU bound that GPU. My G4 has a SATA 16mb cache 250 GB HDD, 9800 pro 128mb, 1GB RAM BUT just the stock 533Mhz processor at the moment - and it's doesn't run well enough for my liking.

However my 2.0Ghz G4 upgrade has just arrived so I'm sure it will be playing very nicely in the very near future  :happy:

#58 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 09:35 PM

I've had word that it runs pretty good on a 1.4 Mac Mini, which has a 32mb 9200 IIRC...

#59 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 06:58 AM

Rev-O: I'm still in agreement - 1.4Ghz is a lot faster than my 533Mhz so I would expect the Mini to be fine for enjoying the game.

Is there a way to show the framerate when playing ? I would like to know what sort of performance I'm getting before and after my processor upgrade  :P

#60 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 05:33 PM

Sargiel, on December 16th 2005, 05:58 AM, said:

Rev-O: I'm still in agreement - 1.4Ghz is a lot faster than my 533Mhz so I would expect the Mini to be fine for enjoying the game.

Is there a way to show the framerate when playing ? I would like to know what sort of performance I'm getting before and after my processor upgrade  :P

View Post

Yes, there is a way to show frame rate while playing... just forgot what it is! I'll track it down and post it!