Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#22 almondblight

almondblight

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 11:31 AM

I can't seem to get it to run, the screen just goes white and nothing happens.  If I have time I'll play around a little and see if I can get it to work.

#23 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 01:15 PM

almondblight, on July 4th 2005, 10:31 AM, said:

I can't seem to get it to run, the screen just goes white and nothing happens.  If I have time I'll play around a little and see if I can get it to work.

View Post

Hm. I DLed the latest version and patched it yesterday on my iBook, and it worked fine. Make sure you are running the 23.command patcher prior to launching the game... and make sure you have an internet connection up and running. Hope you get it going!

Side note: I installed MoM and ran it on my 800 MHz G4 iBook, and the performance was not very good. It runs great on my dual 2 GHz G5 (I run it at 2560 x 1600 on a 30" display, and find it quite playable :) ). MoM is very processor dependent, not so much vid card dependent.

#24 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:12 PM

sweet downloading now. can't wait to give it a spin. i think i'm *finally* getting World of Warcraft fatigue.

#25 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:36 PM

hambone, on July 2nd 2005, 07:51 PM, said:

sweet. user created content for the win! (someone quote me for truth).

View Post

i think you were being a little too modest with what user-created content will be possible! i just read on your FAQ that users will be able to run their own servers. doesn't get much better than that.

#26 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 02:41 PM

Well, the fine folks at Prairie Games have announced a Gold Date for Minions of Mirth: December 15 of 2005!

If you haven't tried the game (or haven't tried it lately), you should go out and download the demo they have available. The demo features 3 or 4 playable races and 3 or 4 zones to explore. The demo is not the full version of the game, but it is is enough to give you a small taste of what the game is like. The full version of the game includes 11 current zones, which will be expanded to 14 zones at launch, 12 playable races and 16 playable classes. Other features involve a crafting system, multiclassing, factions, etc.

The Graphics are outstanding and gameplay is great. Very nice original music. You can play with 1 to 6 charcaters in your party, and have an alliance of up to 6 players in multiplayer. The game is set up for multi and single player, which is cool. There is an in game global chat, which is also cool. If I'm playing single player I can talk to people playing on the dedicated world server. You can set up your own world server, if you are so inclined, play on the world server, or play single player... very flexible!

The full version of the game is available for pre-order right now thru PayPal for only $25, and pre-ordering gives you full beta access right now, so you can start playing immeadiately! Prairie Games has a dedicated world server up and running for full mmorpg goodness. The game server hosts both win and Mac players. The best part of all this is that there is no monthly fee for the online play on the Prairie World server! Just $25 up front and all the online play you want!

I've been testing for several months now (early May, I believe), and I've had a blast with this game! I've been running it on my first gen dual 2GHz G5 with a Nvidia 6800 Ultra pushing a 30" display at 2560 x 1600, and the game is very very playable, even at that obscene res! I'm not sure what the final system requirements will be, but I'm pretty sure any configuration that includes a G5 (PowerMac or iMac) is in business. I do not know how G4s will do tho. I really recommend giving this game a whirl. First off, it is a great game (biased I am, yes). Secondly, it would be nice to see an indie game developer who is spending a lot of time including Macs in his effort get some support from a community that suffers from lack of titles. This is some very good stuff, and I'd like to see it supported.

#27 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 12:56 PM

Rev-O, on October 22nd 2005, 03:41 PM, said:

If you haven't tried the game (or haven't tried it lately), you should go out and download the demo they have available.

Unfortunately, I didn't get very far with that.  When launched, it says that OpenAL failed to initialize, and to get a new version by clicking on a link, but that takes me to a page for Garage Games to buy a license for the Torque engine, which seems kinda excessive just to get a new OpenAL version.  :)

--Eric

#28 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 06:36 PM

Eric5h5, on October 23rd 2005, 11:56 AM, said:

Unfortunately, I didn't get very far with that.  When launched, it says that OpenAL failed to initialize, and to get a new version by clicking on a link, but that takes me to a page for Garage Games to buy a license for the Torque engine, which seems kinda excessive just to get a new OpenAL version.  :)

--Eric

View Post

Weirdness. I'll get a hold of the programmer to see if the current OS X build of the demo is good to go.

#29 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 07:49 PM

Eric5h5, on October 23rd 2005, 11:56 AM, said:

Unfortunately, I didn't get very far with that.  When launched, it says that OpenAL failed to initialize, and to get a new version by clicking on a link, but that takes me to a page for Garage Games to buy a license for the Torque engine, which seems kinda excessive just to get a new OpenAL version.  :)

--Eric

View Post

The current demo should work just fine for 10.3 and 10.4. The beta version of the game auto-patches at launch, and I'm fairly sure the demo version does as well. Seeing as how the game is still being worked on, irregularities do crop up. At any rate, if you are running Panther or Tiger, you don't need to update OpenAL.

Edit: Prairie Games forums has a thread that has a post about someone else's OpenAL issues. They DLed a OpenAL patch and installed it and everything supposedly worked fine. I dunno much about this, as I didn't have this issue. Thread Linky to the Prairie Games forums.

#30 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 11:25 PM

Rev-O, on October 23rd 2005, 08:49 PM, said:

The current demo should work just fine for 10.3 and 10.4. The beta version of the game auto-patches at launch, and I'm fairly sure the demo version does as well. Seeing as how the game is still being worked on, irregularities do crop up. At any rate, if you are running Panther or Tiger, you don't need to update OpenAL.

Well, the game thinks I do, because otherwise I just get silence.  :)  I'll try that link, thanks.

--Eric

#31 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:56 AM

i'm interested in getting this game as a communication tool (a literal "virtual space" to meet and chat with friends in) and as a dungeon master system. but i'm not sure how it would work as the later.

is it possible to add content to the game "live" as a dungeon master? ie, if i setup a private server and had a few friends playing in it, could i dynamically add content as they play, such as dropping loot or mobs in front of them?

#32 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 27 October 2005 - 11:36 AM

I downloaded the Minions of Mirth OSX demo. When I launch the game i get a message that the OpenAL Audio System did not initialize and that I can get updated drivers. The link takes me to this page. Since everything listed here is for Windows, I'm not sure what I should be doing.

The game does launch and allow me to create a character, but it won't allow me to enter the world. Is that how it's supposed to be?

Thanks!
-Hunt'n

#33 Auron

Auron

Billowing Smokestack of BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 12:11 PM

Huntn, on October 27th 2005, 12:36 PM, said:

I downloaded the Minions of Mirth OSX demo. When I launch the game i get a message that the OpenAL Audio System did not initialize and that I can get updated drivers. The link takes me to this page. Since everything listed here is for Windows, I'm not sure what I should be doing.

The game does launch and allow me to create a character, but it won't allow me to enter the world. Is that how it's supposed to be?

Thanks!
-Hunt'n

View Post

Did you add the charater to the party before attempting to enter the world?

#34 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 03:43 PM

Auron, on October 27th 2005, 01:11 PM, said:

Nope, he didn't.  I know this because I did the same thing.  :)  It wasn't obvious...maybe some error messages would be helpful, instead of just nothing happening.  (Maybe something like "You have to add at least one character to the party, dummy!")

--Eric

#35 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:12 PM

Auron, on October 27th 2005, 12:11 PM, said:

View Post

I'll give that a try. Thanks! :)
-Hunt'n

#36 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 06:40 AM

Rev-O, on October 23rd 2005, 08:49 PM, said:

Edit: Prairie Games forums has a thread that has a post about someone else's OpenAL issues. They DLed a OpenAL patch and installed it and everything supposedly worked fine. I dunno much about this, as I didn't have this issue. Thread Linky to the Prairie Games forums.

Well, that worked.  Plus it fixed a problem with a few of the UT2004 voices being too high-pitched, interesting.

Anyway, the game seems pretty impressive given how few people are involved with creating it.  It also runs well, except that with graphics on high or very high, I get some pretty major stuttering when turning (this is on a 2.5GHz G5 with X800 graphics card).  Moving forward and back and strafing is always smooth, just turning isn't.  That goes away with graphics on low, but then it doesn't look that good....

--Eric

#37 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 01:32 PM

Eric5h5, on October 28th 2005, 05:40 AM, said:

Well, that worked.  Plus it fixed a problem with a few of the UT2004 voices being too high-pitched, interesting.

Anyway, the game seems pretty impressive given how few people are involved with creating it.  It also runs well, except that with graphics on high or very high, I get some pretty major stuttering when turning (this is on a 2.5GHz G5 with X800 graphics card).  Moving forward and back and strafing is always smooth, just turning isn't.  That goes away with graphics on low, but then it doesn't look that good....

--Eric

View Post

I'm somewhat suprised at the stuttering issue, but not completely. The graphic demands are on the high side, but I've been running it on a Dual 2 GHz G5 with a 6800 Ultra at 2560 x 1600 resolution and have found the game very playable. I usually run all graphics settings maxed except for 'visible distance' (or whatever it is called),which I usually run around 7 instead of maxed out, and this helps a lot. In some of the zones (the worst offender is not in the demo, but some of the demo zones are rough as well), distance rendering will slow my Mac down to a Craaaaaaawwwwllll. The other big killer for framerates is the Map function. While the map function is really cool, it is a real time 3d rendered overhead view of the zone. While it has become much more processor friendly with development, it is still a processor slut. I only use the map the way you'd use a map while driving: Stop, take a look, put the map away, then proceed!

As far as how few people are working on it: yep, it is pretty impressive. Basically two people form Prairie games. Another couple of people are working on graphic elemenets (one person doing models and one person who is doing some textures). What has helped with the game a fair amount is a very involved community. I've done some quest and story writing for it myself, and have had a blast doing it! Very entertaining actually helping form a game, instead of just play testing it!

#38 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 01:39 PM

A promo video for MoM has been posted for those who are passingly curious but not willing to do the whole demo download thing! Sigh, it is in WMV format. So be warned, in order to watch the clip you will be forced to deal with Wndows Media Player in all of it's craptastic glory. :glare:
Linky

#39 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 04:32 PM

Hey I thought MoM is what those upside down guys in Australia played when they tried to give WoW a go.  Turns out it's a whole 'nother game!  Well smack my chops and call me Porky.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#40 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 01:27 PM

the Battle Cat, on November 13th 2005, 05:32 PM, said:

Hey I thought MoM is what those upside down guys in Australia played when they tried to give WoW a go.  Turns out it's a whole 'nother game!  Well smack my chops and call me Porky.

Yo, Porky!  Actually, what IS the deal with the name?  The creators know what "mirth" means, yes?  No?  The game doesn't seem overly humorous....

I'm wondering if the graphic stuttering is due to some sort of suboptimal resource management.  As I mentioned, I only have the problem when turning.  Moving forward or back is always smooth, even with view distance on max, so my graphics card can handle it just fine.  There don't seem to be enough polygons or that a 256MB card should be having problems like that?  

--Eric