98 replies to this topic

#1 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 11:07 PM

I was out doing the rounds, checking on a few games that are under development, and it occurred to me that maybe not everybody is aware of Minions of Mirth. I'm looking forward to it!

#2 Destroth

Destroth

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 01:54 PM

They just put up some new screenshots from the alpha build.

http://www.prairiega...ewtopic.php?t=2

#3 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 03:24 PM

Will it run on Macs? Or do we need to wait for it to be ported? It looks good.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#4 Destroth

Destroth

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 04:28 PM

They have been developing it on a Mac. No port needed

#5 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 07:09 PM

anyone know what "Massively Single Player gameplay!!!" might mean? ;)

#6 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 08:30 AM

hambone, on April 2nd 2005, 06:09 PM, said:

anyone know what "Massively Single Player gameplay!!!" might mean? ;)

View Post

It's s'posed to be a huge free roaming world, from what I understand, and I assume it is going to have a lengthy storyline. Maybe think of it as a single player WoW without the need to connect and pay a monthly fee. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

#7 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 02:50 PM

hmm, i always thought we called those "open-ended" RPGs, a la Morrowind. cute marketing ploy though!

i woud be cool if this developer got together with Fantasoft or Spiderweb Software and put their existing story and lore into a new 3D engine. both parties would benefit: on one hand, why reinvient the intellectual property wheel when you could be focusing all your energy on making a kick-ass 3D engine?; and on the other hand, the tile-based 2D game enjoys less and less mass appeal.

#8 yvsamant

yvsamant

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 05:03 AM

hambone, on April 3rd 2005, 02:50 PM, said:

hmm, i always thought we called those "open-ended" RPGs, a la Morrowind. cute marketing ploy though!

i woud be cool if this developer got together with Fantasoft or Spiderweb Software and put their existing story and lore into a new 3D engine. both parties would benefit: on one hand, why reinvient the intellectual property wheel when you could be focusing all your energy on making a kick-ass 3D engine?; and on the other hand, the tile-based 2D game enjoys less and less mass appeal.

View Post

Minions of Mirth looks pretty damn good to me.  I think games like Guild Wars have cutting-edge graphics, but how smoothly they run is another question.  Seems like anything that's cutting-edge (example DOOM 3) tends to run choppy because of the ridiculous requirements they have.  So there is a price to be paid for "the very best-looking" games.

Anyways, does anyone know how long till Minions of Mirth comes out?

#9 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 07:39 AM

A new screen shot of a player model is up. Looks really nice!

#10 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 10:23 PM

Just posted today is a new Quicktime Movie of a player model running around with some nice music. It looks quite nice.

Btw, the OS X build of MoM is s'posedly up and running, with alpha testing on the horizon.

#11 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 11:49 PM

Just got back from my first trip to the alpha land of MoM, and I'm pretty damn impressed. Obviously, the game is in a very early stage, but it shows bucket loads of potential! I think this one is going to be good, folks.

#12 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 09:23 AM

Just a little MoM update.
3D player models are getting some variety. The current models are male & female humans & elves. A nice touch is that you can pick one of three body types for your characte (slight, muscular, heavy). Here's a link to some images of the models. The Celtic Vulcan elves are my favorite so far.
Also nice is an embedded web server so you can check on MoM without firing up the game. Through your web browser you'll be able to chat, check stats, trade items, take care of guild stuff, etc. Basically do most everything except combat and explore. Pretty slick.

So far MoM has been completely Tiger friendly. I'm running it on a dual 2 GHz G5 with 1.5 gb ram, a 6800 Ultra and a 30" display. At the default resolution (which I think was like 800 x 600), and the game was very smooth, but out of curiosity I bumped the res up to the native 2560 x 1600 of my display. Framerates have plummeted (tho the game is still quite playable) but the game is beautiful.

All in all, I'm still thinking that this is shaping up to be a winner.

Edit: male dwarves are now up and running, as is around 2 hrs. of original music for the game. Also, the global chat function is quite awesome. People not in game can chat with people in game just to see what's going on. Very nifty.

#13 Dark uk

Dark uk

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 06:28 PM

I've been playing this game and it is very good and hard to believe its only in alpha apart from afew obvious things.

This one will turn out great.

#14 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 10:21 PM

Dark uk, on June 5th 2005, 05:28 PM, said:

I've been playing this game and it is very good and hard to believe its only in alpha apart from afew obvious things.

This one will turn out great.

View Post

The whole alpha thing is what throws me, and let's not forget that it is an 'Indie' as well. Add in a few more models, add in some quests... MoM is shaping up to be completely amazing!

#15 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 06:22 PM

Nice to see img representing!
I was the horror of last build, and Dark U.K. is on his way this build!
Hah! Macs are kicking it!

#16 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 10:35 AM

There is new video showcasing some of what MoM has to offer. It is really, really large, but it shows off a lot of grea stuff. It is 170 mb dl and 17 minutes long, but I can promise it'll give you a taste of what MoM is becoming.

Linky

I've logged well over 100 hrs (or so I've been told, I've lost track) in the Alpha testing stage, and it is a hoot!

#17 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 12:19 PM

is the engine going to be scriptable at all, or ship with a toolset so that users can create content and quests for each other?

#18 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 10:57 PM

hambone, on June 25th 2005, 11:19 AM, said:

is the engine going to be scriptable at all, or ship with a toolset so that users can create content and quests for each other?

View Post

I'm not entirely sure, but from the way things look now:
Scriptable, yes (provided you have some knowledge of Python).
Toolset, no.

#19 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 05:51 PM

Rev-O, on June 27th 2005, 12:57 AM, said:

I'm not entirely sure, but from the way things look now:
Scriptable, yes (provided you have some knowledge of Python).
Toolset, no.

View Post

sweet. user created content for the win! (someone quote me for truth).

#20 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 01:33 PM

Well Minions of Mirth is now doing an Open Alpha test! All you need to do is register in the forums, accept the obligatory license agreement, and dowload all the goodness that is MoM!

The download is a bit huge, on the order of 270 mb, so it is overly not dial up friendly.

If you pop in, look for me and Dark uk there!

edit: if you have any ? about gameplay and whatnot, I'll do my best to answer and/or give some guidance.