22 replies to this topic

#1 yomoooo

yomoooo

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 04:35 AM

OK, so there's not been very many racing games for mac - or has it? Anyway, there's been a couple, so which ones are the best? :huh:

Make your own list!

#2 flargh

flargh

Macworld Magazine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 06:53 AM

yomoooo, on February 25th 2005, 05:35 AM, said:

OK, so there's not been very many racing games for mac - or has it? Anyway, there's been a couple, so which ones are the best? :huh:

Make your own list!

View Post

It really depends on what kind of driving you want to do. Of any of them, I think the Nascar games from Aspyr feature the most realistic physics, but I understand that taking a lot of left turns doesn't excite a lot of people.

Feral is out in front with the broadest selection of racing games for the Mac at this point. F1 Championship Season 2000 is an older title but it's pretty sophisticated, and F1 racing appeals to a lot of people internationally, obviously.

For my money, I like Total Immersion Racing better, simply because there's a broader selection of cars to drive. But Ford Racing 2 is pretty fun as well, as long as you go into it recognizing that it's more of an "arcade" racer than a serious physics modeler. And you like driving Fords. Which I do. So it's not a problem. :)
Peter Cohen, pcohen@macworld.com
Senior Editor, Macworld.com News
Columnist, Macworld "Game Room"

#3 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 09:57 AM

If you prefer Rally racing games (ie: Sega Rally, Rallisport Challenge) I'd strongly suggest checking out the shareware Rally Shift from Codeblender software (http://www.codeblender.com/)
The physics engine is particularly well done...drifts and powerslides execute as they should.

#4 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 12:11 PM

The best way to find out what you like yourself is to play the demos, below is linkage to our demos for our racing games plus the others Peter and MacProject mentioned.

Ford Racing Demo
Total Immersion Racing (TIR) Demo
F1 2000 Championship Season Demo
Nascar 2003 Demo
Rally Shift (Shareware - Becomes full game if you register)

Hope this helps you decide!!!

Edwin

#5 Rook

Rook

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 12:32 PM

Let's not forget 4x4 Evolution and EVO2.  If you like 4x4 and or off road these are also quite good.  Of the two I prefered the first, unfortunately though, it was never brought over to OSX (as far as I know).  EVO2 does have some exotic locations (Thailand, Egypt and many others), but I found that either the AI was way to good, or the trucks simply way to slow.

#6 Ari

Ari

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 01:44 PM

Racer is nice and totally free. Lots of tracks and cars to download. http://www.racer.nl/

#7 macgallant

macgallant

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 02:20 PM

My favorite racing game I've played with a wheel & pedals is Total Immersion Racing (really beautiful graphics, great variety of cars, and extremely fun & exciting,) next is Nascar 2003 (gotta love the fact that it has dual processor support=great framerates and it's has a very realistic physics engine), and then EVO2 4x4 (gotta love driving off road in trucks & suvs!)
MDD PowerMac G4 Dual 867Mhz: 128MB Radeon 9800 Pro, 2GB Ram, 80GB OEM HD & 160GB Seagate HD
, ViewSonic VA2012wb 20" Widescreen LCD, Belkin USB 2 PCI card, Logitech Z-2200 THX 2.1 Speakers, Apple Keyboard & 5 button Superman Mouse, XBox Live webcam, Superdrive & combo drive
, MacOSX 10.5.6 Leopard/b]
Black MacBook Core 2 Duo  2.2 GHz: 4 GB Ram, 250 GB HD, Superdrive, Maxtor Onetouch 4 external 500GB HD, Microsoft LaserDesktop for Mac
, [b]Mac OSX 10.5.6 Leopard

#8 closethipster

closethipster

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 05:49 AM

Really looking forward to Ambrosia's Redline, but Feral's Ford Racing 2 and Pangea's Cro-Mag Rally are keeping me busy for now..

#9 Drinniol

Drinniol

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1153 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 February 2005 - 07:05 AM

Redline has my motor running, for sure. Damnit, Ambrosia, GIVE IT TO US!
"If a bunch of actual adults suddenly found themselves trapped in high school, the first thing they'd do is form a union and renegotiate all the rules with the administration." Paul Walker

#10 Dr. Geebs

Dr. Geebs

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 12:20 PM

Evo 2 is a really nice-looking racer which would play well apart from rotten AI which cheats like crazy.

#11 Fluffy Lemon

Fluffy Lemon

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 11:30 AM

I know its old but i found Driver a great game. Only works in OS9 though

#12 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 01:48 PM

I agree on Driver - still worth keeping a Classic gaming box around for that one.
I also like 4x4 Evo2; good for online multiplayer action.

Is it possible to turn off damage in Nascar 2003? I used to do that with the original Papyrus Nascar game, drive the wrong way, and take out the field in terrific accidents. I know, it's stupid, but also very theraputic.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#13 simsbaby

simsbaby

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 04:43 PM

bookman, on February 28th 2005, 12:48 PM, said:

Is it possible to turn off damage in Nascar 2003? I used to do that with the original Papyrus Nascar game, drive the wrong way, and take out the field in terrific accidents. I know, it's stupid, but also very theraputic.

View Post

:w00t: lol i used to do that

Intel iMac 2 GHz Core Duo
Ram : 2 GB
Hard Drive : 250 GB

#14 mtrank

mtrank

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 07:23 PM

I loved Star Wars Racer, but it also only works in OS 9.

I could have sworn there was an OS X version of 4x4 Evolution 1, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.  Thought the OmniGroup had one.

#15 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 09:10 AM

mtrank, on March 5th 2005, 08:23 PM, said:

I could have sworn there was an OS X version of 4x4 Evolution 1, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.  Thought the OmniGroup had one.

View Post

Hmm.  I don't recall one.

Deviating slightly off topic, I was a big fan of 4X4 Evo 1 when it was released not only for the gameplay but also for the fact that you could race against PC gamers AND Sega Dreamcast gamers!!  I don't know if this was the first console game that allowed cross platform play, but it sure was nice being able to play against my younger brother who only had a Dreamcast.  Good times...

#16 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 09:36 AM

MacProject, on March 7th 2005, 08:10 AM, said:

I was a big fan of 4X4 Evo 1 when it was released not only for the gameplay but also for the fact that you could race against PC gamers AND Sega Dreamcast gamers!!

View Post

Now that is a cool feature!!

Edwin

#17 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 10:58 AM

There was an OS X patch for the 1st 4X4 Evo - I tried to run it on my iMac, and it didn't work. As I had just acquired 4x4Evo2 at the time, I just deleted Evo 1 and never thought about it again. As I recall, I just got a black screen when I tried to run it.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#18 yomoooo

yomoooo

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 06:50 AM

Thanks for the tips everyone, keep coming up with games you like and play. Myself, I'm going to spend part of the evening with the F1 demo from Feral.

Keep playing!

Jonatan

#19 Weston

Weston

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 10:44 AM

My favs would be 4x4 Evo 2, and Star Wars Episode 1 Racer.
'Course I had 4x4 Evo 1 for the DC (and loved it), and SW racer for my N64. But I thought I should get em for my mac and I do play them occasionally even now. And it's really fun with SW Racer to use the ATI Displays GL Overrides to boost up the visual quality a bit.

#20 bismilah

bismilah

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 03:11 AM

good car games: F1 CS 2000, 4x4 Evo 2, Total Immersion Racing
good non car racing games: Wipe Out, MTX Mototrax

IMHO, there are not enough racing games on OSX.