Command and Conquer: Generals Zero Hour!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 ozzy

ozzy

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Steam Name:ozzy

Posted 27 February 2005 - 11:53 PM

I've been playing it some today.  Overall, I like it a lot.  Haven't tried Gameranger yet, but I did notice that when I launched Gameranger, it didn't give me the option to create Zero Hour games, so I don't know if that support has been added yet, or whether its something on my end.  As far as the graphics engine, I haven't really noticed to much difference, although I haven't played the original in a while, and when I did it was on a MDD G4, whereas now I have a G5.  I tried the graphics at high for the first level or so, then bumped them down to medium.  I didn't really notice a difference between medium and high, except it ran better on medium (Radeon 9600 XT).  

I think I'm on the 4th mission of the USA campaign.  Overall, its been a lot of fun, and fairly hard.  I struggled with the 3rd level, and am struggling with the 4th level now (on Medium diff.)  One thing that struck me is how long it takes to load.  Even on my G4, I don't remember the original taking as long to load levels as Zero Hour does on my G5.  It plays an intro video for about the first 30 seconds of loading, and then usually takes about another minute to finish.  However, if you load a saved game, it only takes about 15 seconds to load it.  Kinda odd.  Also, it takes forever to save.  I thought my comp had froze the first time I'd saved, since the whole screen froze up, and it sat there for about 30-40 seconds, before finishing.  Lastly, the opening credits are rather annoying, and can't be skipped.  Other than that though, its ran great, and has been a lot of fun so far.  I'm still learning all the new weapons and what not, but there are some good additions.

Oh, one other thing.  The install process is really simple and easy which is particularly nice considering its an expansion.  All you have to do is drag the Zero Hour folder from the DVD to your hard drive.  The manual says the first time you launch Zero Hour, you'll have to select the original C&C app, but that wasn't the case for me, it just launched...

#22 Ranger_Joe

Ranger_Joe

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Steam Name:rangerjoe79
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 28 February 2005 - 04:38 PM

The 1.03 patch for the PC has been released.  The list of changes is quite extensive, read about it here.  Hopefully we will hear from Aspyr about this soon. =]

#23 王將軍

王將軍

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 06:24 PM

To those of you who might still be trying to find Zero Hour in stores, here is a little gas/time saving tip if you are to go to CompUSA or MicroCenter.

I spoke to representatives from both stores today and they both said that if the product isn't on their website, they won't have it in stores.  So check their websites first.  As of today though neither store has Zero Hour.

I ordered my copy this morning from Amazon and I paid about $16 for "one-day shipping" but my order has yet to be shipped yet... and I can't cancel it either because I chose the "one-day shipping" method... my first order from Amazon and so far I don't have a very good impression of them.  I wanted to order from IMG instead but IMG doesn't have "one-day shipping".  :(

#24 c15zyx

c15zyx

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 07:31 PM

王將軍, on February 28th 2005, 05:24 PM, said:

To those of you who might still be trying to find Zero Hour in stores, here is a little gas/time saving tip if you are to go to CompUSA or MicroCenter.

I spoke to representatives from both stores today and they both said that if the product isn't on their website, they won't have it in stores.  So check their websites first.  As of today though neither store has Zero Hour.

I ordered my copy this morning from Amazon and I paid about $16 for "one-day shipping" but my order has yet to be shipped yet... and I can't cancel it either because I chose the "one-day shipping" method... my first order from Amazon and so far I don't have a very good impression of them.  I wanted to order from IMG instead but IMG doesn't have "one-day shipping".  :(

View Post

Be careful, Amazon now lists ZH in stock, but estimated ship dates (at least for my order) were for March 4 at least. But then again I chose the cheapo free shipping. I suppose it is odd that IMG has gottent their copies very quickly.

#25 王將軍

王將軍

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 07:59 PM

c15zyx, on February 28th 2005, 07:31 PM, said:

Be careful, Amazon now lists ZH in stock, but estimated ship dates (at least for my order) were for March 4 at least. But then again I chose the cheapo free shipping. I suppose it is odd that IMG has gottent their copies very quickly.

View Post

Yeah, the free shipping takes 3 business days to PROCESS and ANOTHER 3 - 5 business days to ship.  I've been itching for this game since I heard that Asypr shipped it on Feb. 21st so I decided to spend a hefty 16.50 for "One Day" shipping, which is also why I'm now very upset with Amazon because it's been 9 hours since I placed the order and it's nearly the end of Feb. 28th and the status still says "Shipping Soon" and it doesn't allow me to cancel the order.  :wall:

#26 c15zyx

c15zyx

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 08:50 PM

That's the thing though, all the other stuff I order via Amazon w/ free shipping is usually shipped the next business day (unless I have several items and have them shipped together that's the only time when extra processing is needed), however I was pretty surprised at the delayed estimates. It's probably like the retail situation, where suppliers are still waiting for their copies to come in. And besides from my experience at least, items sometimes ship several days prior to expected ship date.

About the patch, damn those bastards... no more blindly sending GLA Demo men to their deaths (must actually show a little control now). And finally they made the Marauder more useful, it was only good when you upgraded to level 3 which is difficult.

Edit: sexy new Aurora Alpha skin baby!...
http://www.planetcnc...02-28_ZH103.jpg

#27 王將軍

王將軍

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 09:26 PM

Not that anyone really cares but I was JUST notified by Amazon that my order for Zero Hour has been shipped and I should receive it tomorrow :)  So I take back anything bad I said about Amazon hehe  :P

c15yzx said:

:w00t:

#28 richmlow

richmlow

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 03:00 AM

C&C: Generals Zero Hour just arrived in the mail from the IMG store. I'm just about to install it and will report back soon!

richmlow

???, on February 28th 2005, 08:26 PM, said:

Not that anyone really cares but I was JUST notified by Amazon that my order for Zero Hour has been shipped and I should receive it tomorrow :)  So I take back anything bad I said about Amazon hehe  :P

c15yzx said:

:w00t:

View Post

Mac Pro (Late 2013)
3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
12 GB RAM
AMD FirePro D300 (Dual GPU, 2048MB VRAM each)
MacOS Sierra 10.12.3

#29 NightBird

NightBird

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 10:14 AM

I got my copy in the mail Wednesday.  I am pretty impressed with the IMG store.  They shipped my package the next business day and it got here in two days.  Looks like I may be a future customer of IMG store.  

Now I have two questions that I hope someone can help me with.  

1.) Is it true that you can only play 1vs1 on GR?  Thats what they manual said for online play.

2.) In my original Generals after the intro movies I would get the main menu but there was only a still frame in the background.  There was no loading for the animated background.  It was weird cause my computer was the only one that did this.  My friend that had a laptop showed the live battle in the town square.  Now with Zero Hour I do have the animated background.  While it is nice to have, I kinda like the still frame because I dont have to wait for it to load.  Does anyone know how to change from still frame to animated background and back?

Thanks for your time

Ryan

PS:  Should this be in troubleshooting?