Command and Conquer: Generals Zero Hour!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 richmlow

richmlow

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 02:47 PM

Kudos to i5 and Aspyr for porting and bringing C&C: Generals, as well as C&C: Generals Zero Hour to the Macintosh!!  It ships on Feb. 21 with an estimated arrival date of Feb. 26th. =)

I never played RTS, until I tried out the demo for C&C: Generals at the Macworld Expo (Jan. 2005)....got hooked on it!!

Anybody else excited about this!?

richmlow
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
12 GB RAM
AMD FirePro D300 (Dual GPU, 2048MB VRAM each)
MacOS Sierra 10.12.3

#2 c15zyx

c15zyx

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:09 PM

richmlow, on February 21st 2005, 01:47 PM, said:

Kudos to i5 and Aspyr for porting and bringing C&C: Generals, as well as C&C: Generals Zero Hour to the Macintosh!!  It ships on Feb. 21 with an estimated arrival date of Feb. 26th. =)

I never played RTS, until I tried out the demo for C&C: Generals at the Macworld Expo (Jan. 2005)....got hooked on it!!

Anybody else excited about this!?
richmlow

View Post

Anyone who enjoys generals should run and pick up a copy for only $30, the changes are pretty significant. However, it's been out a while for the PC, so hopefully the interested have been able to get some game time in.

Just some interesting things people may not realize from the get-go:
1) Stealth Fighters with the Bunker-Buster upgrade on occassion 'flip' light vehicles from the secondary terrain shockwave (reminds me of a wight explosion), this has the consequence of sometimes disrupting supply trucks or dozers, and makes the fighters particularly useful for harassing enemy expansions. Also counter-measures do not protect against bullet-based AA, and even then will only confuse the first rocket volley. Counter-measures upgrade also affects FAB/MOAB bomber and A-10s. Upgrading to the MOAB not only increases the blast radius significantly, but instead of the crappy flying brick that usually delivers it you get a faster and stronger B-2 Spirit.
2) GLA Demo general has the fast-strike equivalent of the US A-10 Strike and China Artillery Barrage, just get to level 3 rebel ambush, drop your rebels into an area, press x to scatter them a bit, then hit i to have them explode for the cause, unlike superweapons which do reduced damage to superweapons and command centers, these do a TON of damage. Also, Jarmen Kell can plant explosives, while retaining his sniper ability. Combined with the stronger SCUD Storm, Sneak Attack (terrorists come free with cycles), and the aforementioned abilities, GLA Demo has high destructive potential.
3) China Nuke General can tech up to a finished nuke silo VERY quickly.
4) When you upgrade Anthrax you sacrifice explosive damage for toxin damage, keep that in mind when you want to target buildings.
5) You can move the small attack point of the Spectre Gunship within the large circle by double-clicking like when using the particle cannon.
6) For original and expansion, the A-10 strike target zone does not deal radial damage, so as long as a small corner of the enemy building is in the target zone, it will probably be completely destroyed (including the GLA hole).

#3 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:26 PM

I'll be buying this one - I still haven't started Generals, so I'm not in a hurry. Too many games, not enough gaming time.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#4 Forrest

Forrest

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:28 PM

Looks good - I picked-up Zero Hour for my PC about 2 weeks ago for $10 at CompUSA.

#5 richmlow

richmlow

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 01:04 AM

c15zyx,

Thanks for the hints for C&C: Generals Zero Hour....I definitely will get this expansion in the upcoming week!  

I'm also going to try to pick up Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy. I know that this is an older game, but the demo also hooked me!

richmlow

c15zyx, on February 21st 2005, 02:09 PM, said:

Anyone who enjoys generals should run and pick up a copy for only $30, the changes are pretty significant. However, it's been out a while for the PC, so hopefully the interested have been able to get some game time in.

Just some interesting things people may not realize from the get-go:
1) Stealth Fighters with the Bunker-Buster upgrade on occassion 'flip' light vehicles from the secondary terrain shockwave (reminds me of a wight explosion), this has the consequence of sometimes disrupting supply trucks or dozers, and makes the fighters particularly useful for harassing enemy expansions. Also counter-measures do not protect against bullet-based AA, and even then will only confuse the first rocket volley. Counter-measures upgrade also affects FAB/MOAB bomber and A-10s. Upgrading to the MOAB not only increases the blast radius significantly, but instead of the crappy flying brick that usually delivers it you get a faster and stronger B-2 Spirit.
2) GLA Demo general has the fast-strike equivalent of the US A-10 Strike and China Artillery Barrage, just get to level 3 rebel ambush, drop your rebels into an area, press x to scatter them a bit, then hit i to have them explode for the cause, unlike superweapons which do reduced damage to superweapons and command centers, these do a TON of damage. Also, Jarmen Kell can plant explosives, while retaining his sniper ability. Combined with the stronger SCUD Storm, Sneak Attack (terrorists come free with cycles), and the aforementioned abilities, GLA Demo has high destructive potential.
3) China Nuke General can tech up to a finished nuke silo VERY quickly.
4) When you upgrade Anthrax you sacrifice explosive damage for toxin damage, keep that in mind when you want to target buildings.
5) You can move the small attack point of the Spectre Gunship within the large circle by double-clicking like when using the particle cannon.
6) For original and expansion, the A-10 strike target zone does not deal radial damage, so as long as a small corner of the enemy building is in the target zone, it will probably be completely destroyed (including the GLA hole).

View Post

Mac Pro (Late 2013)
12 GB RAM
MacOS Sierra 10.12.3

#6 Ranger_Joe

Ranger_Joe

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Steam Name:rangerjoe79
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 22 February 2005 - 10:11 AM

While on the subject of hints for Zero Hour, On EA's official C&C Generals site it has posted a chapter from the official strategy guide that deals with the 'generals challenge'.

#7 王將軍

王將軍

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 04:11 PM

Ah... Zero Hour, they are supposed to be in stores by Friday right?  I can't wait :)

#8 The Cleaner

The Cleaner

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 12:24 PM

王將軍, on February 23rd 2005, 03:11 PM, said:

Ah... Zero Hour, they are supposed to be in stores by Friday right?  I can't wait :)

View Post

Just got my copy ! will be playing tonight for sure.

#9 NightBird

NightBird

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 12:42 PM

Does anyone know where to find the game friday night in a store?  Called the Apple store in Costa Mesa, CA and they did not have it in stock?  I called Compusa and they transfered me to a call center and said they dont even have a listing for it.  Any help will be great thanks!

Ryan

#10 王將軍

王將軍

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 01:13 PM

The Cleaner, on February 25th 2005, 12:24 PM, said:

Just got my copy ! will be playing tonight for sure.

View Post

Where did you get your copy!?  I checked the local Apple Store, CompUSA AND MicroCenter and none of them have any in stock  :wall:

NightBird, on February 25th 2005, 12:42 PM, said:

Does anyone know where to find the game friday night in a store?  Called the Apple store in Costa Mesa, CA and they did not have it in stock?  I called Compusa and they transfered me to a call center and said they dont even have a listing for it.  Any help will be great thanks!
I feel your pain  :(

#11 The Cleaner

The Cleaner

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 01:14 PM

NightBird, on February 25th 2005, 11:42 AM, said:

Does anyone know where to find the game friday night in a store?  Called the Apple store in Costa Mesa, CA and they did not have it in stock?  I called Compusa and they transfered me to a call center and said they dont even have a listing for it.  Any help will be great thanks!

Ryan

View Post

Hey Nightbird, the fastest way I have found to get games is to buy from IMG.  Yes this is a gratuitous plug for IMG but itís true.  I have ordered no less that 10 games from IMG and they deliver faster than any local store. Or other online retailer that I have seen.

I know it wont help you today, but for the future preorder from IMG and be the first on your block to have all the latest games.

#12 The Cleaner

The Cleaner

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 01:16 PM

王將軍, on February 25th 2005, 12:13 PM, said:

Where did you get your copy!?  I checked the local Apple Store, CompUSA AND MicroCenter and none of them have any in stock  :wall:
I feel your pain  :(

View Post

Hey 王將軍, See above.  I'll be hosting a couple games tonight on gameranger if you find a copy, look for the cleaners place.

take care.

#13 c15zyx

c15zyx

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 02:37 PM

If Amazon didn't offer free shipping I'd be pissed off that it doesn't ship til Monday. Makes me long for the 'original' Aspyr store (now they have a spot in Amazon), where if you preorder, they ship out those copies early and you usually get it before it's released to retail or online stores.

#14 c15zyx

c15zyx

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 01:31 PM

Also, according to EA:

"Mark your calendars for FEBRUARY 28, 2005..."THE DAY WE STRIKE BACK"
On this day, we will support the Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour community at large with a direct strike! Partnering with community allies, we reached out to seek the assistance of the German Command & Conquer community to develop a significant patch. This update will dynamically change the balance of the game based upon the combined deep analysis and feedback from these avid fans. Intelligence also reports that the recently released ACETON-Balancing-Modification, developed exclusively by gamers and known extremely well within the community, helped to underline the core design of the patch. "We recognize the hard work put into the ACETON modification, and the fantastic analysis and feedback from the EA GAMES™ supported Community Team in Germany (www.communityteam.de)," said Harvard Bonin, Senior Producer at EA Los Angeles. "While this patch addresses the most common cheats and technical errors seen in recent months, it is going to give Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour a dynamic face-lift inspired by community feedback."

Hope Aspyr is (or will be) on top of this.

Edit: more info

#15 Ranger_Joe

Ranger_Joe

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Steam Name:rangerjoe79
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 February 2005 - 04:49 PM

c15zyx, on February 26th 2005, 02:31 PM, said:

Also, according to EA:

"Patch Coming: February 28th
We are pleased to announce the upcoming release of patch 1.03 for Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour on February 28, 2005. On this day we will support the community with an expansive patch which will dynamically change the balance of the game, as well as fix numerous technical errors and cheats being experienced in previous months."

Hope Aspyr is (or will be) on top of this.

View Post

Nice catch c15zyx.

For those lucky souls who have their Mac Zero Hour installed (and are not in the middle of a game), care to give those of us who are awaiting wider availability some user reviews of it?

#16 王將軍

王將軍

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 05:13 PM

I don't understand.  I've been checking my local CompUSA, MicroCenter and Apple Store all weekend and none of them have Zero Hour in stock.  I live in Houston, which is probably the closest major city to Austin, where Aspyr is located.  Shouldn't we be the first ones to receive Zero Hour since it was shipped 6 days ago?

Those who already got Zero Hour, how did you get it?

#17 richmlow

richmlow

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 07:41 PM

I'm in California and I've been looking all over for C&C: Generals Zero Hour. So far, no luck....I've tried CompUSA, Fry's Electronics, MicroCenter, and the AppleStore.

Since I'm tired of running around all over the place, I just placed my order at the IMG store!

:D

richmlow

???, on February 26th 2005, 04:13 PM, said:

I don't understand.  I've been checking my local CompUSA, MicroCenter and Apple Store all weekend and none of them have Zero Hour in stock.  I live in Houston, which is probably the closest major city to Austin, where Aspyr is located.  Shouldn't we be the first ones to receive Zero Hour since it was shipped 6 days ago?

Those who already got Zero Hour, how did you get it?

View Post

Mac Pro (Late 2013)
12 GB RAM
MacOS Sierra 10.12.3

#18 ozzy

ozzy

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Steam Name:ozzy

Posted 26 February 2005 - 08:23 PM

I got it today...preordered from IMG with standard postal delivery.  I've installed it, but haven't gotten a chance to play it yet (was playing Halo 2 earlier, and now its getting to be about that time to enjoy lots of adult beverages).  I did get a chance to open it up just to make sure it works, and apart from opening in a resolution that was partially obstructed on my monitor, everything worked fine.  I'll let everyone know what I think after I start playing...

#19 NightBird

NightBird

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 01:48 AM

After checking around local stores, no such luck.  The plug for IMG store worked and just ordered it online.  Now if only The Cleaner can get commission for it.  Thanks for your advice!

Ryan

#20 richmlow

richmlow

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 09:01 PM

To those who have gotten C&C: Generals Zero Hour for the Macintosh......how is it!? I've heard that the graphics engine has been tweaked a little bit....any comments/opinions on the game?!

Can't wait till my copy arrives from the IMG store!

richmlow

Ranger_Joe, on February 26th 2005, 03:49 PM, said:

Nice catch c15zyx.
For those lucky souls who have their Mac Zero Hour installed (and are not in the middle of a game), care to give those of us who are awaiting wider availability some user reviews of it?

View Post

Mac Pro (Late 2013)
12 GB RAM
MacOS Sierra 10.12.3