81 replies to this topic

#41 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 09:12 AM

hm, more than i thought, but they are all the same. Here's an FAQ sample from one:

Can I play games with Guest PC?
"Yes" and "No". There are tons of PC games, and some of them require a powerful PC to work the best. To see if Guest PC is appropriate to run the game you want to buy, check the box or the Users Manual for the game’s system requirements. If the game doesn't need accelerated 3D video and high processor performance, it will run. If you want to run the latest shooters, or quests and you are an enthusiastic gamer, we suggest you buy a hardware PC or a game console.
Civ 4 is 3D, does that mean it requires "accelerated 3D video"? I'm not sure. But if it uses a 3D engine, good luck running it on one of these emulators. Can't comment on the X11 thing, as you said, gotta wait and see :)

#42 Rubel

Rubel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 12:30 PM

But besides emulation, it does seem pretty portable. In the Gamespy preview they mention that it uses Gamebryo, which I believe has a MacOS X version, and also that game statistics are moddable in XML files and units are scriptable with Python. So, looks like a lot of the game uses open software already on MacOS.

Hey, could be fun to poke around in there.
I left my heart in Port Montyhaul.

#43 Mandrake628

Mandrake628

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 03:33 PM

If Mac had Gamebryo, we would have Pirates by now.

Mandrake628

#44 Rubel

Rubel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 03:47 PM

Mandrake628, on June 27th 2005, 02:33 PM, said:

If Mac had Gamebryo, we would have Pirates by now.

View Post

Oh yeah. Look at that: PC, XBox, PlayStation 2, and GameCube. But I'm sure I saw it advertised at some point. Probably an older version. Drat. But maybe if they did it once, they'd do it again. Now I'm down to wishful thinking.

#45 Ben

Ben

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 06:48 PM

Rubel, on June 27th 2005, 04:47 PM, said:

Oh yeah. Look at that: PC, XBox, PlayStation 2, and GameCube. But I'm sure I saw it advertised at some point. Probably an older version. Drat. But maybe if they did it once, they'd do it again. Now I'm down to wishful thinking.

View Post

They did it one point, because that's what Freedom Force was based on. Freedom Force 2 is on the newer version, the same as Pirates and Civ IV, probably the top 3 games on my wishlist...

Ben

#46 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 29 June 2005 - 01:54 PM

Good news about unit size, etc. from an article posteed at Apolyton.

Soren Johnson confirmed yesterday in Apolyton Civilization Site`s (ACS) forums. In response to ACS forum user `Sn00py``s inquiry as to whether what the gaming public can presently view in CivIV screenshots and videos can be scaled, the development team member at Firaxis Games answers that pretty much every art asset has a scale value in [XML] that can be modded to whatever you like. He specifically cites units, buildings, trees, resources, and improvements in this respect.

"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#47 jibclimmer

jibclimmer

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 11:52 AM

Rubel, on June 23rd 2005, 12:20 AM, said:

To complain about something else, I'm worried they'll make combat completely unfun. I read an interview where someone said they were eliminating attack and defense as separate unit stats...now, they'll just have one number for their strength.

Bleah! Civ combat is simple enough as it is! I'd rather see a tactical combat interlude like Call to Power did, or better yet like Master of Magic. The Civ games are fun and all, but Master of Magic did some things so very right. Play it on a DOS emulator if you ever get the chance.

View Post

That game is the reason I have a DOS emulator! the combat is awesome. And the other cool stuff.

#48 Macmeister

Macmeister

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 01:04 AM

Mandrake628, on June 23rd 2005, 07:56 AM, said:

Absolutely.  It is slightly unfair that you have ABSOLUTELY NO SAY in the actual combat.  I don't mind, because that is not the "point" of Civilization, but it would be nice to have a tactical interface that gave you some influence on that outcomes of battles.  I do hate it when you send ten modern tanks at a city, and one or two mech infanty kill off all of them. 

Mandrake628

View Post

Something similar to the way Conquest of the New World was set up, but perhaps a bit more sophisticated?  I thought that aspect of the game (Conquest) was implemented pretty well.  Additionally, I think it might just shorten the length of some Civ games if we were to gain some control of battles.

#49 Zobeid

Zobeid

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 07:34 AM

I think what worries me most about the game is the greatly expanded, more complicated role of religion in the game.  I'm trying to keep an open mind. . .  but that's definitely not something I would have asked for.

It just sounds like more stuff I'm not really interested in that I have to micro-manage.

It does sound good that I won't have to spend all my time in the endgame chasing outbreaks of pollution.  That gets so tedious.
Zobeid Zarathustra
"That which does not kill us makes us stranger."

#50 Rubel

Rubel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 09:30 PM

Zobeid, on July 2nd 2005, 06:34 AM, said:

It does sound good that I won't have to spend all my time in the endgame chasing outbreaks of pollution.  That gets so tedious.

View Post

I just read (in Civ3) that automating your workers (almost wrote Formers) with Shift-A instead of just A will set them to doing smarter behavior, including cleaning up pollution as their #1 priority. I'm only just now getting into Civ3, so all these little techniques are new and exciting to me.

#51 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 05:32 AM

Zobeid, on July 2nd 2005, 09:34 AM, said:

I think what worries me most about the game is the greatly expanded, more complicated role of religion in the game.  I'm trying to keep an open mind. . .  but that's definitely not something I would have asked for.

It just sounds like more stuff I'm not really interested in that I have to micro-manage.

I believe this is going to play-out similar to how culture did in Civ3.  There are going to be those who love it and those who hate it.  Those who hate it are going to be the warmongers, because it will likely halt, if not temporarily, their war machines.  

Being a builder at heart, I feel I'm going to like religion's inclusion as a feature.  But alas, Firaxis is never going to balance the Civ series by checking one's ability to conquer the world.  Too many people would be upset.  

Don't get me wrong, it should be possible, but the AI civs "should" recognize what is going on and confront you.  Similar to how nations address military build-ups, such as the USA's concern over Europe possibly selling arms to China again.

#52 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 05:37 AM

Rubel, on July 2nd 2005, 11:30 PM, said:

I just read (in Civ3) that automating your workers (almost wrote Formers) with Shift-A instead of just A will set them to doing smarter behavior, including cleaning up pollution as their #1 priority. I'm only just now getting into Civ3, so all these little techniques are new and exciting to me.

View Post

I highly recommend the GOTM mod (by CFC members) and scenario file (by bluebox).  It is very good, bringing many aspects of PTW and Conquests to the mac version of Civ3.  I wrote up a review in my blog here at IMG.  You can play a monthly save file and generate your own epic games w/ bluebox's set-up.

#53 MSosa01

MSosa01

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 06:45 PM

dojoboy, on July 3rd 2005, 04:32 AM, said:

Similar to how nations address military build-ups, such as the USA's concern over Europe possibly selling arms to China again.

View Post

Or more to the point, Europe wanting to sell advanced weapons to China!

I agree with your point but the computer AI in Civ3 already does this. Nations begin to form defense pacts to stop your military agression. In my huge game set to King I'm close to a conquest victory but had several midsized countries declare war and it is proving quite the challenge now. I've had to give tech to my AI ally to remove pressure on me.
The world has changed.
I can feel it in the water,
I can feel it in the earth,
I can smell it in the air.
Much that once was is lost,
for now none live who remember.
from the Lord of the Rings, JRR Tolkien

#54 Belcarius

Belcarius

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 07:03 PM

IMHO, there still is not enough to allow people to play as peaceful nations. Unsuprisingly, this can be traced back to the AI. If you are not as powerful as they are, then POW! - they declare war on you faster than you can imagine. So you have to spend your whole time building up a sizeable force to defend yourself. Added to that is the fact that the AI won't give you a fair peace treaty unless you retaliate - if you just defend it can take centuries to broker peace. It's quite annoying because I enjoyed being a peaceful economic power on Chieftan difficulty, only to find that that is completely unviable at higher levels.
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton

#55 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 08:38 AM

Belcarius, on July 5th 2005, 09:03 PM, said:

IMHO, there still is not enough to allow people to play as peaceful nations. Unsuprisingly, this can be traced back to the AI. If you are not as powerful as they are, then POW! - they declare war on you faster than you can imagine. So you have to spend your whole time building up a sizeable force to defend yourself. Added to that is the fact that the AI won't give you a fair peace treaty unless you retaliate - if you just defend it can take centuries to broker peace. It's quite annoying because I enjoyed being a peaceful economic power on Chieftan difficulty, only to find that that is completely unviable at higher levels.

View Post

I've found it possible to remain peaceful by maintaining a small empire, usually one core of well developed cities (6 - 9 depending on geography).  This usually leaves you to winning by diplomacy or space race.  I usually choose the latter.  Also, I almost always give in to the inevitable demands of the AI, unless they're located far away and alliances easily obtained.  With a strong industrial core, responding to foreign aggression is quite easy for a number of reasons: (1) able to produce or rush-build units quickly, (2) defense plans laid out well in advance re: choke points, fortresses, etc., and (3) good diplomatic standing, due to remaining peaceful and compliant, allows for military alliances.  On occassion, I may need to war for aluminum or uranium for s/s parts if unable to obtain through trades for whatever reasons.  [NOTE: resources in cIV are to be more evenly dispersed but this could only affect starting regions, since expansion and wars of aggression will likely alter this throughout the game.]  I've been successful with this approach at emperor, but deity still smokes me.

#56 Belcarius

Belcarius

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 05:03 PM

dojoboy, on July 7th 2005, 12:38 AM, said:

I've found it possible to remain peaceful by maintaining a small empire, usually one core of well developed cities (6 - 9 depending on geography).  This usually leaves you to winning by diplomacy or space race.  I usually choose the latter.  Also, I almost always give in to the inevitable demands of the AI, unless they're located far away and alliances easily obtained.  With a strong industrial core, responding to foreign aggression is quite easy for a number of reasons: (1) able to produce or rush-build units quickly, (2) defense plans laid out well in advance re: choke points, fortresses, etc., and (3) good diplomatic standing, due to remaining peaceful and compliant, allows for military alliances.  On occassion, I may need to war for aluminum or uranium for s/s parts if unable to obtain through trades for whatever reasons.  [NOTE: resources in cIV are to be more evenly dispersed but this could only affect starting regions, since expansion and wars of aggression will likely alter this throughout the game.]  I've been successful with this approach at emperor, but deity still smokes me.

View Post

The problem I find is that I can very quickly end up with every single AI at war with me. When you have several hundred units converging on you, even the best laid plans of mice and men can't save you :(.
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton

#57 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 07:31 AM

Here is an interview by Jesse Smith on cIV.  It has me very interested.

cIV interview w/ Jesse Smith

#58 Belcarius

Belcarius

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 05:15 PM

I saw that - it was interesting to hear that roads no longer give the commerce bonus.

I think I'm beginning to understand how useful and efficient the new combat system will be. I think the seperate attack and defence factors was limiting a few things. For instance, if an Infantry attacked a Rfileman with no defense bonuses, the odds would be 3:4 that the rifleman would win. As if! WW1 and 2 rifles vastly outrange those Civil war era weapons, the riflemen wouldn't even be able to fire back effectively! Having a strength only would mean that this unrealistic situation no longer will exist. In short, I think it will get rid of Civ 3's 'defensive ages' of warfare - the periods where most units have such a high defense that attacking is pointless, and make warfare easier to conduct all the way through.

#59 notcreative

notcreative

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 08:35 AM

i really enjoyed civ3... i hope macsoft is smart enuff to get civ4 for us! summer 2006 probably- well anyway, its really worth the wait... i hope they still have the same civilizations as in 3 (romans, greek, persians, french, aztecs, egyptians, zulu, iroquoise, russians, americans, etc.) b/c i really liked those!

#60 notcreative

notcreative

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 05:23 AM

sweet!!! i just found a demo for civ4! mac compatible (believe it or not)! here's the link... enjoy!

http://www.browse.so...oftwarelist.htm  

i hope it works- it did for me, at least...