Mac OS X 10.3.8 released...any problems!?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 iPod_man

iPod_man

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 05:39 PM

since 10.3.8 KOTOR has become unplayable even on the lowest settings when before i could play on full detail.

my machine is a Dual 800mhz with a 9800 PRO

#42 richmlow

richmlow

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 10:39 PM

That doesn't sound right?! Did you repair permissions before and after the update to 10.3.8? Has the update affected any of your other games?!

Has anyone else here also have problems with KOTOR, after the update?

richmlow

iPod_man, on February 12th 2005, 04:39 PM, said:

since 10.3.8 KOTOR has become unplayable even on the lowest settings when before i could play on full detail.

my machine is a Dual 800mhz with a 9800 PRO

View Post

Mac Pro (Late 2013)
3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
12 GB RAM
AMD FirePro D300 (Dual GPU, 2048MB VRAM each)
MacOS Sierra 10.12.3

#43 iPod_man

iPod_man

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 05:11 AM

yep repaired permissions... and still no go... the game is still playable in small areas but in large... the "infinate run" is unbarable, where as before i could run anywhere and not get any lag...

#44 D-Pure

D-Pure

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 02:30 PM

richmlow, on February 12th 2005, 09:39 PM, said:

That doesn't sound right?! Did you repair permissions before and after the update to 10.3.8? Has the update affected any of your other games?!

Has anyone else here also have problems with KOTOR, after the update?
richmlow

View Post

Yes I also have problems with KOTOR

And with 10.3.7 There were absolutely no problems
Completely unplayable right now, really strange as I was literally playing the exact same moment in the game before I updated and after, I couldnt even initiate one attack due to COMPLETE and UTTER unplayability

Btw, how do you revert to an older update? or do I have to go through the re-installation of Os X??

#45 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 03:51 PM

D-Pure, on February 13th 2005, 03:30 PM, said:

Yes I also have problems with KOTOR

And with 10.3.7 There were absolutely no problems
Completely unplayable right now, really strange as I was literally playing the exact same moment in the game before I updated and after, I couldnt even initiate one attack due to COMPLETE and UTTER unplayability

Btw, how do you revert to an older update? or do I have to go through the re-installation of Os X??

Ideally you'd have cloned your system to a backup somewhere, so you'd just clone it back.  But that's not what I did, so I had to re-install OSX from my install CDs and then download and apply the 10.3.7 combo updater again.  Plus re-install a few little utilities like DisplayConfigX.  (Aside--anyone using a CRT monitor ought to register DisplayConfigX, since it kills those annoying 60Hz refresh resolutions that some games like Age of Mythology and others insist on using, and you get to define your own resolutions if you want.  Cool.)  Don't worry, none of your other stuff gets erased during this process.  Just make sure you're using the Archive & Install and Keep User Settings options, which is what you get by default.

Anyway, the reason I did this was not KOTOR (which I didn't try under 10.3.8) but my X800 card.  10.3.8 increased the fan noise of this card, and even more annoyingly, the fan seemed to frequently vary randomly in pitch.  Back in 10.3.7 land, all is nice and quiet again.  Apparently I'm not the only one with this problem, so I'd suggest that X800 owners hold off on updating for now, unless you don't mind extra fan noise.

--Eric

#46 Leofwine

Leofwine

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 10:04 AM

I read about the iShock issue with 10.3.8 before I downloaded it, but for some reason I paid it no heed.   :huh:  Then later on I noticed that both RuneScape and XIII were acting awfully chunky, so I quickly remedied the problem.  I had lost almost all my available disk space, which freaked me out, but thankfully I managed to find the invisible system.log

I really need to know more about the roots of X. . . .  :blush:

#47 ic1male

ic1male

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 02:36 PM

Hmmm. XIII is the first game I have played since applying the X.3.8 update and my god it runs like a dog. I have emailed Feral to see if they can shed any light on the problem. I played the demo in X.3.6 and that was absolutely fine on my 9600XT.

#48 Stradivis

Stradivis

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 07:56 AM

QuicksilverG4, on February 9th 2005, 10:10 PM, said:

For the life of me, I can't understand why people wait to download these updates.  I still have yet to experience ill effects from any of these.  Whatever catastrophic event happened to make a significant percentage of users delay updating for days to weeks?

Anyway, no problems here.  The best thing (IMHO) about this update is the bug fix for the 15-30 second delays that some people have been getting for doing certain things online (web browsing with Safari, iTunes music store browsing, checking email).  Those issues are completely gone now.

View Post

Some OSX updates, in macs running nVidia cards, brought Diablo 2 to be slower than a slug (running in a mac waaaaaaaaay above requirements). This happened to me more than once. Word is that happened to other games also.

Maybe you're one of the few lucky ones out there.
:happy:
Goede, de bussen is groot!

#49 rlmorel

rlmorel

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 08:24 PM

JetOver, on February 10th 2005, 01:59 AM, said:

There appears to be an incompatibility between 10.3.8 and the MacAlly iShock Driver.  After installing 10.3.8, my available disk space began disappearing, until it hit zero.  After looking at the Apple discussion forums and using the Activity Monitor (the driver was using about 50% of my CPU), the driver was apparently writing errors to the system log until it filled up the hard disk. 
Once I took care of the issue per the advice given in the above forum, I seem to be back to a normal stable system.  Other people have also been having the same problem.  I will e-mail MacAlly tomorrow to report it, as it is late and I've got to go to work in about 6 hours.

Jetover

View Post

I had the exact same problem, it kind of freaked me out.  Whew.  I am an early adopter, and I figured this out on my own because I had the same kind of problem with a UNIX system at work where a log went haywire, so...it was on my mind!!!!

#50 gswhite

gswhite

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 01:52 PM

richmlow, on February 10th 2005, 07:41 AM, said:

Does anybody have any information on the effect (in terms of framerates, graphics performance, etc....) of Mac OS X 10.3.8 on:
Halo
Command and Conquer: Generals
Alpha Centauri

Other games?
Thanks.
richmlow

View Post

I am experiencing problems with 10.3.8 on Halo and Call of Duty since moving to this patch revision!  Both games experience freezing.  You can basically be playing and the game or pointer will just freeze for no apparent reason.  I did not experience this on previous versions.

I am running a G4 PowerMac DP1.42 with 1.5 Gig mem and a Radeon 9800 Pro.  Seems suddenly that this configuration is causes these problems.  Only way out of the game is to either shutdown by holding the power button or logging in remotely and killing the process and restarting!

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Gary

#51 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 09:56 AM

10.3.8 has been a dog for my Rev. A dual 2.0 G5 and Radeon X800. Like others, my fans roar where before they were whisper quiet (although I think it's mostly the system fans and not the X800's fan), and now I'm getting hard system freezes in WoW and KOTOR.

I'm assuming these are kernel panics--assuming because I can't see the Finder when the crashes occur (no interface, mouse, or keyboard response). Whatever is going on, requires a hard re-boot using the power button. While playing WoW the other night, I had three crashes in 30 minutes. Not a good thing when your grouped and battling lvl 36 baddies in STV.

This update is bad, bad, bad, bad. Shame on you, Apple. Here's hoping they release 10.3.9 to atone for sins, or I'm gonna have to revert to 10.3.7, which would be a big pain in the ass.

Atticus
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#52 -=M=-

-=M=-

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 12:03 AM

In RTCW I've noticed a HUGE drop in frames. Although the most annoying thing of all is the mouse sensitivity is all screwed up. Also my Logitech MX500 mouse 3-5 buttons no longer work in-game as they used to, I was forced to download the (un)Logitech drivers, and had to bind keys on my keyboard to get the mouse buttons to work. It also seems that the drivers have made it so that I can no longer hold down more than 2 buttons at a time.

Bloody Apple, the mouse settings were absolutely perfect before, sensitivity felt good, and there was no need to download mouse drivers because all the buttons already worked. :angry:

Anyone know if they're looking into fixing these issues?