Mac OS X 10.3.8 released...any problems!?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 10 February 2005 - 01:05 PM

And that's why I believe in the power of partitions!
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#22 tiskippy

tiskippy

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 03:03 PM

I'm running 10.3.8 now, no problems so far.  I'll test out a few of my games this evening, but so far it all seems okay.  I can't compare to 10.3.7 since I somehow forgot to run that update, so I got to grab the whole 103MB combo updater.  Eh, oh well.
Brandon
MacBook Pro, 2.16GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 15" Glossy Display

#23 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 05:58 PM

c15zyx, on February 10th 2005, 01:19 AM, said:

Homeworld 2 now shows a blue-on-black vertical checkered stripe when loading right before the Aspyr logo video. Purely a cosmetic issue, but it would be nice for it to go away.

Edit: AVP1 mouse bug is still there.

View Post

i'm not experiencing that.  I have a flatpanel iMac with a Geforce 4MX card
"Nothing here but us text"

#24 dirkpitt

dirkpitt

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 06:29 PM

a2daj, on February 11th 2005, 04:05 AM, said:

And that's why I believe in the power of partitions!

View Post

I second that, I always test-install on my #2 partition first, just in case.

#25 danny_gasperini

danny_gasperini

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 06:33 PM

c15zyx, on February 9th 2005, 11:19 PM, said:

Homeworld 2 now shows a blue-on-black vertical checkered stripe when loading right before the Aspyr logo video. Purely a cosmetic issue, but it would be nice for it to go away.

Edit: AVP1 mouse bug is still there.

View Post

This was introduced with MacOS X 10.3.7. It seems to affect Radeon 9600 cards and up. It certainly affects my 17" PowerBook with Radeon 9700M 128Mb. I notified Aspyr and they said they are looking into it. It also causes a huge performance drop when shadows are enabled, which wasn't present under 10.3.5. MacOSX 10.3.8 obviously doesn't fix it.

#26 danny_gasperini

danny_gasperini

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 06:34 PM

dirkpitt, on February 10th 2005, 05:29 PM, said:

I second that, I always test-install on my #2 partition first, just in case.

View Post

I third that!

#27 lordofgain

lordofgain

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 07:11 PM

i installed last night and so far nothing bad although I heard there some sort of thing in Safari that could concievably direct you to websites that aren't actually the sites you are going to. Not sure yet though.

#28 c15zyx

c15zyx

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 07:26 PM

danny_gasperini, on February 10th 2005, 05:33 PM, said:

This was introduced with MacOS X 10.3.7. It seems to affect Radeon 9600 cards and up. It certainly affects my 17" PowerBook with Radeon 9700M 128Mb. I notified Aspyr and they said they are looking into it. It also causes a huge performance drop when shadows are enabled, which wasn't present under 10.3.5. MacOSX 10.3.8 obviously doesn't fix it.

View Post

That would be odd, because I was playing Homeworld 2 on 10.3.7 without that problem, Radeon 9700 64MB. I think the performance drop might have been around since 10.3.6, as I remember it was already unplayable when I first tried it.

#29 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17373 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 08:47 PM

I'v# be#n runn#ng 10.#.8 for a w#ile now a#d I#m ha#py to#rep#rt t##t I d#n't not#ce a#y t#i#g g#ing wro#g so f#r.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#30 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 10:31 PM

the Battle Cat, on February 10th 2005, 09:47 PM, said:

I'v# be#n runn#ng 10.#.8 for a w#ile now a#d I#m ha#py to#rep#rt t##t I d#n't not#ce a#y t#i#g g#ing wro#g so f#r.

View Post

oh no! my system haz b33n h@x0r3d!!!111!!1111111  10.3.8 is a fraud!
"Nothing here but us text"

#31 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 12:38 AM

the Battle Cat, on February 10th 2005, 07:47 PM, said:

View Post

M# N#th#ir.

I might be crazy, but NeverWinter nights seems a little slower.
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#32 wilt666

wilt666

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 02:20 AM

QuicksilverG4, on February 10th 2005, 03:57 PM, said:

By the way--every time you update your system, the installer updates the prebindings, which makes the system feel snappier, even if it hasn't made any significant changes.  You can update your prebindings without installing new system software, too!   :)

View Post

Excuse my ignorance but what exactly does this mean. Also how do you do it manually?

#33 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 08:54 AM

You can download programs which do it manually, but I don't think that Mac OS X handles it automatically (at least, according to this article)!  Check it out:

http://radio.weblogs...gExplained.html
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#34 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17373 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 10:54 AM

wilt666, on February 11th 2005, 01:20 AM, said:

Excuse my ignorance but what exactly does this mean. Also how do you do it manually?

View Post

Well first you unbuckle your pants... oh wait you mean manually do prebinding... First let me say, the prebinding process goes out and looks at each application and it figures out ahead of time which libraries it needs when it launches.  It stores this information so that when an application is launched it can refer to the list rather than figuring out what to do from scratch.  This speeds up the launch time of an application.  If you have OS 10.3 you don't have to worry about prebinding.  When an application is installed OS10.3 prebinds your system.  That is what is happening when your installer says it is "Optimizing".  If you have OS 10.2 or earlier you should prebind about once a month or more often if you do a lot of installs and uninstalls.

You can prebind in the Terminal by typing "sudo update_prebinding -root /" w/o the quotes of course.  You will be prompted for your admin password.  You can also use Cocktail to do this for you.  Again, no need if you are running Panther.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#35 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 11 February 2005 - 11:02 AM

Ok, you might not believe me, but it actually loks like 10.3.8 fixed a bug. I kid you not.

Ever since I got a working G5, I've had it connected to my stereo through the Toslink connector, and to do this I have to select optical out as my adio output. But every time I've woken my G5 from sleep, it has split my output between the optical and analog outputs, so I've been forced to go and change the output to optical only each time.

But now after waking my G5 from sleep for the first time in 10.3.8, there was no need for me to change this! Amazing! I've only reported it to Apple once per OS version since 10.3.4.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#36 converted2truth

converted2truth

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 12:27 PM

Since the update, my ATI X800 fan spins at full speed no matter what i'm doing.  If i'm not doing anything, after about 30 minutes the monitors go off and then it stops spinning so fast.  Wierd.  Any advise?
Mac Pro/2.66/2GB RAM/X1900/1.5TB & 250GB X partition/250GB XP partition/Dell 24" LCD
MBP CD2.0/2GB ram/100GB HD (20GB XP partition)/ATI X1600m

#37 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 12:39 PM

converted2truth, on February 11th 2005, 01:27 PM, said:

Since the update, my ATI X800 fan spins at full speed no matter what i'm doing.  If i'm not doing anything, after about 30 minutes the monitors go off and then it stops spinning so fast.  Wierd.  Any advise?

Since the update, my X800 fan isn't at full speed, but I definitely notice it now (it seems to do some random variable-speed spin up/down thing, or at least I hear the pitch changing slightly).  It wasn't noticeable before the update, and in fact is a little annoying.  I was wondering if it was just me, but I guess they did do something that they probably shouldn't have regarding the X800 fan.  I'm thinking about running the X800 install software again, though I'm not sure if that will work.

--Eric

#38 JackSYi

JackSYi

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 02:30 PM

Actually, that blank screen after the Powerbook returns from sleep. Yeah, they didn't really fix it. It actually is worse.

#39 Koshchi

Koshchi

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 02:31 PM

Read the article on the iShock driver problem. It causes both the continuous fan problem (as a result of high cpu use) and loss of hard drive space. I had lost 16gb of space! The article tells how to solve the problem and recover the disk space.

#40 kingarthur_kom

kingarthur_kom

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 05:56 PM

Koshchi, on February 11th 2005, 02:31 PM, said:

Read the article on the iShock driver problem. It causes both the continuous fan problem (as a result of high cpu use) and loss of hard drive space. I had lost 16gb of space! The article tells how to solve the problem and recover the disk space.

View Post

16GB is nothing! I lost 30GB!!! :blink:  I had no idea what was going wrong. Then I found =
http://discusssearch....1@.68a64b1e/39
Plus this OnyX is supposedly better than Cocktail.