Mac OS X 10.3.8 released...any problems!?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 richmlow

richmlow

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 04:27 PM

Apple just released Mac OS X 10.3.8 !! Any brave pioneers out there who are willing to update their OS and report back on game performance!?

Let us know!

richmlow
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
12 GB RAM
AMD FirePro D300 (Dual GPU, 2048MB VRAM each)
MacOS Sierra 10.12.3

#2 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 04:54 PM

Does it increase the framerate in WoW on my Blueberry iMac or 1.23432Ghz Wind Mirror Doored Power Mac, blah, blah, blah???

Atticus

richmlow, on February 9th 2005, 10:27 PM, said:

Apple just released Mac OS X 10.3.8 !! Any brave pioneers out there who are willing to update their OS and report back on game performance!?

Let us know!
richmlow

View Post

"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#3 monkeyphonix

monkeyphonix

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 05:04 PM

Atticus, on February 9th 2005, 10:54 PM, said:

Does it increase the framerate in WoW on my Blueberry iMac or 1.23432Ghz Wind Mirror Doored Power Mac, blah, blah, blah???

Atticus

View Post

LOL. Q3 Framerates up a whopping 2 fps on my toilet lid ibook 233mhz.

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17432 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 February 2005 - 05:10 PM

Software Update said:

"The 10.3.8 Update delivers improved compatibility and reliability for Mac OS X v10.3 "Panther" and is recommended for all users.

Key updates include:
improved OpenGL technology and updated ATI and NVIDIA graphics drivers
improved file sharing and directory services for mixed Mac and PC networks
improved compatibility for third party applications and devices
previous standalone security updates

For detailed information on this Update, please visit this website: http://www.info.appl...m/kbnum/n300569
For detailed information on Security Updates, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n61798"

Following the link it mentions this specifically about video drivers:

"Improves the performance of Blizzard World of Warcraft's "Full Screen Glow" video feature.

Improves DVD Player compatibility when playing a movie (using certain ATI Radeon cards) to an external widescreen TV with a 16:9 aspect ratio."
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 lordofgain

lordofgain

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 06:05 PM

I haven't upgraded yet. I am going to sit on the fence for a bit.

#6 Helix20

Helix20

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 07:25 PM

Well it sorts out the Myst IV crashes....

#7 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 08:40 PM

Hmm.
I think I'll sit this one out a bit for now.
Went with 10.3.7. straight away and experienced no ill effects, though.

#8 Endymion

Endymion

Master Blaster

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1693 posts
  • Steam Name:Aleksael
  • Steam ID:Aleksael

Posted 09 February 2005 - 09:55 PM

No issues, 1.25MHz x2 MDD.

#9 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 11:10 PM

For the life of me, I can't understand why people wait to download these updates.  I still have yet to experience ill effects from any of these.  Whatever catastrophic event happened to make a significant percentage of users delay updating for days to weeks?

Anyway, no problems here.  The best thing (IMHO) about this update is the bug fix for the 15-30 second delays that some people have been getting for doing certain things online (web browsing with Safari, iTunes music store browsing, checking email).  Those issues are completely gone now.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#10 Malus121

Malus121

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 11:34 PM

QuicksilverG4, on February 10th 2005, 05:10 AM, said:

For the life of me, I can't understand why people wait to download these updates.  I still have yet to experience ill effects from any of these.  Whatever catastrophic event happened to make a significant percentage of users delay updating for days to weeks?

Anyway, no problems here.  The best thing (IMHO) about this update is the bug fix for the 15-30 second delays that some people have been getting for doing certain things online (web browsing with Safari, iTunes music store browsing, checking email).  Those issues are completely gone now.

View Post

Well lets see, If I remember right the first time I installed 10.3.6 it screwed up my system so bad that half my apps wouldn't even open(amoung these Apple apps were the worst, with something like 90% no longer wokring).  While I was advised that it might have been a font problem, after about a day or two of trouble shooting(trying everything which usually fixes broken fonts as well as a ton of other generic trouble shooting stuff) I still wasn't able to fix the problem.  I ended up just doing an archive install which quickly and painlessly solved my problem.  Anyway I think this gives me the right to be a bit warry of updates the second they come out.  
I'll probably DL 10.3.8 in the coming days(im actually still running 10.3.6, since I was warry of the 10.3.7 update, after my initial trouble with 10.3.6), but I've been kinda sick today and don't really want to have to expend energy troubleshooting my system if something goes wrong...
27" iMac, 2.8Ghz Quad Core i5, 8GB of ram, 1TB HDD, AMD Radeon HD 6770M w/ 512 Vram
13" Macbook Air, 1.86Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB of Ram, 128GB SSD, Nvidia Geforce 320M

Playstation Vita (JP 3G Model), 8GB Memory Card, Uncharted Golden Abyss, Gravity Daze, Tales of Innocence R
Playstation 3 (Lots of games..)
27" iMac..... Awesome
Playstation Vita = Amazing

#11 JetOver

JetOver

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 11:59 PM

There appears to be an incompatibility between 10.3.8 and the MacAlly iShock Driver.  After installing 10.3.8, my available disk space began disappearing, until it hit zero.  After looking at the Apple discussion forums and using the Activity Monitor (the driver was using about 50% of my CPU), the driver was apparently writing errors to the system log until it filled up the hard disk.  
Once I took care of the issue per the advice given in the above forum, I seem to be back to a normal stable system.  Other people have also been having the same problem.  I will e-mail MacAlly tomorrow to report it, as it is late and I've got to go to work in about 6 hours.

Jetover

#12 c15zyx

c15zyx

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 12:19 AM

Homeworld 2 now shows a blue-on-black vertical checkered stripe when loading right before the Aspyr logo video. Purely a cosmetic issue, but it would be nice for it to go away.

Edit: AVP1 mouse bug is still there.

#13 richmlow

richmlow

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 12:41 AM

Does anybody have any information on the effect (in terms of framerates, graphics performance, etc....) of Mac OS X 10.3.8 on:

Halo
Command and Conquer: Generals
Alpha Centauri

Other games?

Thanks.

richmlow

c15zyx, on February 9th 2005, 11:19 PM, said:

Homeworld 2 now shows a blue-on-black vertical checkered stripe when loading right before the Aspyr logo video. Purely a cosmetic issue, but it would be nice for it to go away.

Edit: AVP1 mouse bug is still there.

View Post

Mac Pro (Late 2013)
3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
12 GB RAM
AMD FirePro D300 (Dual GPU, 2048MB VRAM each)
MacOS Sierra 10.12.3

#14 JackSYi

JackSYi

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 01:46 AM

It does seem to make WoW somewhat faster. But that may be just thinking it is faster, because it includes a "new graphics driver with enchancements." The login screen, when you click your picture to get the password line does seem alot slower though. Other than that, the apps open faster for sure.

#15 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 05:58 AM

Seems... snappier.

(Come on, someone had to say it. :P)

#16 G-News

G-News

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 07:24 AM

I just installed it on an iBook G4 and a WindTunnel MDD and both are working flawlessly still. However it killed my uptime of over 8 days because of the reboot...
Damn
Now officially the forum idiot

#17 tiskippy

tiskippy

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 09:05 AM

Tesseract, on February 10th 2005, 05:58 AM, said:

Seems... snappier.

(Come on, someone had to say it. :P)

View Post

You mean...Snappier™?  :D
Brandon
MacBook Pro, 2.16GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 15" Glossy Display

#18 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 09:57 AM

Malus, the problem you experienced with the 10.3.6 update was not a bug with the updater per se, because the vast majority of users had no problem with it.  The only difference between your computer and everyone else's is what's on it.   ;)

I'm not sure how Apple gets blamed for problems like these--it seems that the only real problems that occur are due to the ATI/nVidia driver upgrades.  Some glitch in the game will appear that the porting house (usually not Apple) will have to fix, and then it's all over.

Anyway, let me go check and see what 10.3.8 did to Halo framerates . . .

edit:

The 10.3.8 update gave me a 0.75 fps boost in the Halo timedemo at 1024x768 with my X800.  

By the way--every time you update your system, the installer updates the prebindings, which makes the system feel snappier, even if it hasn't made any significant changes.  You can update your prebindings without installing new system software, too!   :)
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#19 fletch

fletch

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 12:06 PM

I too had trouble with the iShock driver.  It was using between 60%-90% of all system resources and filled a log file up with 4 gig of error messages.  My machine literally was reduced to a crawl until I was able to remove all of the iShock components.  After I removed the iShock components and cleared the log file all has been fine.

Pete

#20 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2478 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 12:31 PM

QuicksilverG4, on February 10th 2005, 10:57 AM, said:

Malus, the problem you experienced with the 10.3.6 update was not a bug with the updater per se, because the vast majority of users had no problem with it.  The only difference between your computer and everyone else's is what's on it.   ;)

I'm not sure how Apple gets blamed for problems like these--it seems that the only real problems that occur are due to the ATI/nVidia driver upgrades.  Some glitch in the game will appear that the porting house (usually not Apple) will have to fix, and then it's all over.

Apple has screwed things up on occasion... Besides, regardless of the source of the glitch (Apple, ATi/nVidia, gamepad drivers,..) if a game stops working then you are equally screwed either way. I lean towards caution myself.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.