Old Game called "Grunt"

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 NILL

NILL

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 08:28 PM

It's a really old game for Mac OS 7 or 8. It played a lot like mario, but you were a pig. You had to go from room to room collecting keys and weapons upgrades. It was 2D and was made by company from California. Google came up with nothing but stuff for Warcarft.

#2 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 08:47 AM

NILL, on February 8th 2005, 09:28 PM, said:

It's a really old game for Mac OS 7 or 8. It played a lot like mario, but you were a pig. You had to go from room to room collecting keys and weapons upgrades. It was 2D and was made by company from California. Google came up with nothing but stuff for Warcarft.

View Post

Can't say I've ever heard of it, but it does sound like my type of game so I'll be interested to see if anyone knows the answer.

#3 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15750 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 February 2005 - 09:49 AM

Are you thinking of Gruntz?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#4 monsquaz

monsquaz

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 04:46 PM

the Battle Cat, on February 9th 2005, 10:49 AM, said:

Are you thinking of Gruntz?

View Post

No, he's not.

I know which game NILL speaks of. I remember playing it many, many years ago on my Performa 250. I had obtained it from a Software of the Month Club volume, which I've still got the floppies for, too. As of two years ago, these floppies still work perfectly, and I believe I already still have it installed on that same Performa 250. I can probably upload it somewhere when I get the chance to copy it.

#5 NILL

NILL

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 05:30 PM

monsquaz, on February 9th 2005, 05:46 PM, said:

No, he's not.

I know which game NILL speaks of. I remember playing it many, many years ago on my Performa 250. I had obtained it from a Software of the Month Club volume, which I've still got the floppies for, too. As of two years ago, these floppies still work perfectly, and I believe I already still have it installed on that same Performa 250. I can probably upload it somewhere when I get the chance to copy it.

View Post

I dont know if it would fit on a floppy. It was a Club that sent you cds every month, but I played it at school. The teacher was the one that would install that stuff.

#6 monsquaz

monsquaz

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 06:06 PM

NILL, on February 9th 2005, 06:30 PM, said:

I dont know if it would fit on a floppy. It was a Club that sent you cds every month, but I played it at school. The teacher was the one that would install that stuff.

View Post

I don't remember receiving CDs. Of course, that's probably because we dropped out of our SMC subscription in the mid-90s. They must have changed their format after we left.

Yarr! You kids got it easy. Back in my day, SMC really did send floppies!

OK, I'll cut it out now. But seriously...

How did they do this, you ask?
Multiple floppies.
As time went on, it would no longer become odd for a volume to have 12 disks total. Everything would be segmented into different installation files on the different disks- when it was done with one, you had to insert another disk upon another disk until it was done.

That's the way it was, and we liked it!
Gwa-ha.

#7 NILL

NILL

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 11:50 PM

monsquaz, on February 9th 2005, 07:06 PM, said:

I don't remember receiving CDs. Of course, that's probably because we dropped out of our SMC subscription in the mid-90s. They must have changed their format after we left.

Yarr! You kids got it easy. Back in my day, SMC really did send floppies!

OK, I'll cut it out now. But seriously...

How did they do this, you ask?
Multiple floppies.
As time went on, it would no longer become odd for a volume to have 12 disks total. Everything would be segmented into different installation files on the different disks- when it was done with one, you had to insert another disk upon another disk until it was done.

That's the way it was, and we liked it!
Gwa-ha.

View Post

I knew it was done like that. I just didnt think a magizine would do that. And what are you talking about, game makers are puting games on to upto 6 cds now and not going dvd because of about 10% of people dont have them. At least on the PC side :) . Is this to off topics yet?

#8 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15750 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 10:24 AM

Have you tried contacting some of the people you played the game with?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#9 NILL

NILL

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 10:32 AM

the Battle Cat, on February 10th 2005, 11:24 AM, said:

Have you tried contacting some of the people you played the game with?

View Post

I was the techie in class, I dont think anybody would remember it anybetter them me. And they were all windows users so I dont think they would have cared to keep it.

#10 LEPER

LEPER

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 06:06 PM

I remember this game! Childhood favorite! With the blu pig thing and the green one right? And the dogs and... sorry i dont know where to get it... i dont have it anymore... I just had to bleed out my nostalgia.

#11 greenmojo

greenmojo

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:19 AM

Seriously hoping someone sees this at some point, I know this thread is a couple years old.

Anyone who has this game, is there anyway you can upload it to somewhere? I've been searching for this one forever for my uncle

#12 Richard G

Richard G

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:17 AM

It's a really old game for Mac OS 7 or 8. It played a lot like mario, but you were a pig. You had to go from room to room collecting keys and weapons upgrades. It was 2D and was made by company from California.

On the MacOS platform, some years ago, there was a platform-based game called "GRUNT" that involved a pig. The game's story involved retrieving the fragments of a magic jewel that had been scattered throughout a castle. (For that matter, the game also had a pretty good music track...) Among other places, the game was included on a CD-ROM disc that came with the book "Tricks of the Mac Game Programming Gurus." This book was published by Hayden Books in 1995. The game was authored by Farhad Akhmetov and Mark Chetverikov, and the specified e-mail contact information for Farhad Akhmetov was FarhadA104 at aol dot com. (I do not know if this e-mail address is still valid.) The documentation for the game also specified an entity called "FORMAC SOFTWARE" that had an address in Los Angeles, California.

#13 Tesseract

Tesseract

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3499 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:31 AM

It just so happens that I have that book and its CD. The docs are in the form of a classic app so I can't read them, but I think it's safe to assume that the game is ShareWare or FreeWare and thus redistributable. Enjoy.
Attached File  Grunt.zip   1.85MB   40 downloads

#14 grunt

grunt

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 10:01 PM

Hi, I'm trying to download that attachment, Grunt.zip, but there seems to be an error with registration not allowing me to activate my account.

#15 Frost

Frost

PowerPC Inside

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5178 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:41 AM

View Postgrunt, on 09 May 2011 - 10:01 PM, said:

Hi, I'm trying to download that attachment, Grunt.zip, but there seems to be an error with registration not allowing me to activate my account.
It could be because your first post has to be approved by moderators (we do this to improve the effectiveness of catching spammers to 99%). I just approved you so you should be good to go. Give it another try.
Cypher (PowerMac G5 Quad) – 2x2.5 GHz PPC 970MP / 16GB ECC RAM / 1TB WDC Velociraptor, 2TB STX Constellation ES.2 / QuadroFX 4500 512MB
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.2 GHz Ci7 4770K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Crucial M550 M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 3TB STX Barracuda / GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB
Chromium (MacBook Pro Early 2008) – 2.6 GHz C2D T9500 / 4GB RAM / 960GB Crucial M500 / GeForce 8600M GT 512MB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 Titanium) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 480GB OWC Mercury Legacy Pro / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#16 discovolante

discovolante

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:39 AM

View PostFrost, on 10 May 2011 - 12:41 AM, said:

It could be because your first post has to be approved by moderators (we do this to improve the effectiveness of catching spammers to 99%). I just approved you so you should be good to go. Give it another try.

Hey guys, downloaded that Grunt zip and also got a copy of SheepShaver (the OS 9 emulator) so I can actually play the game on my OS X. Got Sheepshaver up and running and Grunt is in the shared folder between my OS 9 and OS X partitions, however whenever I try to open Grunt I'm told that it "Couldn't allocate a sound channel. Try to restart (hold Shift down) with extentions off."
I am dying to play this game as I haven't in about 10 years, me and my siblings have been hunting it down for that entire time (yes, a decade), but it refuses to open unless I allocate a sound channel and I am struggling to find out how to do so :( my audio preferences on SheepShaver are as follows:

Output Device - /dev/dsp

Mixer Device - /dev/mixer

This is all the audio information or preferences SheepShaver is offering me and the only sound-related options in the OS 9 window at all is the volume bar. Hopefully this can be sorted. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

#17 beavis

beavis

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:27 AM

View Postdiscovolante, on 27 May 2011 - 08:39 AM, said:

Hey guys, downloaded that Grunt zip and also got a copy of SheepShaver (the OS 9 emulator) so I can actually play the game on my OS X. Got Sheepshaver up and running and Grunt is in the shared folder between my OS 9 and OS X partitions, however whenever I try to open Grunt I'm told that it "Couldn't allocate a sound channel. Try to restart (hold Shift down) with extentions off."
I am dying to play this game as I haven't in about 10 years, me and my siblings have been hunting it down for that entire time (yes, a decade), but it refuses to open unless I allocate a sound channel and I am struggling to find out how to do so :( my audio preferences on SheepShaver are as follows:

Output Device - /dev/dsp

Mixer Device - /dev/mixer

This is all the audio information or preferences SheepShaver is offering me and the only sound-related options in the OS 9 window at all is the volume bar. Hopefully this can be sorted. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Hey man, I had the same problem. You have to go under the apple to control panel, then to sound and choose "built in" under output. I too have been searching for this game forever, hope this helps.

#18 grunt

grunt

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:49 PM

Okay, I have SheepShaver running OS 9 and the grunt.zip file extracted but I can't figure out how to actually run the program. There is a "Grunt" directory with some files that are all 0 bytes (??) and a "__MACOSX" directory, but I can't view any of the files in the ___MACOSX directory in my emulated OS 9. What am I missing here?

#19 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15750 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

It extracted fine in OSX on my intel machine.  Try unzipping it in OSX, then run it in sheep shaver.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#20 grunt

grunt

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:05 PM

I don't have a mac or OSX. The problem isn't extracting - if I extract in sheep shaver with stuffit expander, the files all show up, but I'm not sure how to actually run the program. When I double click any of the files I just get this error: http://imgur.com/svMcshH