37 replies to this topic

#1 Perfection

Perfection

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 03:57 PM

Recently more than ever in this forum, there has been an aggressive attempt to cut down the use of the general forum, and direct all discussions of specific games to the game genre forums. As I have always thought, I think that is a bad idea, as it reduces the ease and friendliness of the forum. I have just kept my mouth shut until now. But now I must ask:

What's the advantage of having all these forums? It really pisses me off how some people that certainly mean no harm unsuspectingly start a topic about a game in the general forum, and not after two or three posts they are aggresively pounced on, being rudely scolded for not putting this is the right forum.

All of these forums have really made this place more hostile. Instead of getting an answer to your question, you get pounced on. Also, if I actually wanted a question answered, the chances of it being answered in one of the genre forums are much lower, as they see less traffic.

What I am completely blind to is WHY are these multiple forums beneficial? They just seem stupid to me.

Somebody enlighten me. (Seriously. I'm not trying to be rude, I just don't get it at all.)

#2 WhiteSavage

WhiteSavage

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 04:04 PM

Actually, I've noticed this too... I agree I dont like it, I myself only ussually check the general forum, and then the couple forums partaining to the gametypes I like to play. Its kinda irritating to check them all, so I dont. When there are more forums it makes everything look more organized and makes the life of a moderator a little easier. However, I agree that it takes away the brotherly love, and splits us Gamers into little Pro-Mac gaming groups. It was nicer when everything was closer nit and packed together in one happy box ready to reply.

Something like this is understandable in a PC gaming forum, but I think we all agree Mac users are a bit different... I mean... we Game on Macs... WOah!!!!

#3 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 January 2005 - 04:22 PM

I just "View New Posts" and use the different forums for sorting the messages. Keeping the forums separated have several benefits,

1) a seldom posted (but important) topic won't be bounced to page 7 in a week, as it does in general.
2) when people use them correctly, there is less double posting, partly because the last topics goes off page 1 slower with more categories.
3) searching can be more effective since you can limit your search to one specific forum.
4) people with a more specific interest has a lot easier finding topics related to their favourite genres.

...and more. But those are the largest benefits I see.

I doubt you could list as good reasons as why keeping everything mixed up in one fast growing chaotic hell-hole is better ;)
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#4 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 04:23 PM

Use the "View New Posts" link up at the top near your control panel.

That is the easiest way to get one listing of all current topics, regardless of their forum.
-iMac

(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)
Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others

Get Mac Game Mods: Macologist.org

#5 Tuncer (IMG)

Tuncer (IMG)

Pimpbot 5000

• Admin
  • 923 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 04:26 PM

I'd like to see specific examples of the "pouncing". Are people from IMG pouncing on people or is it forum members?

As for the forums, I think they are way, way better than they used to be. Content is now more organized instead of being dumped into one folder. But that's just my opinion :)
Tuncer
Inside Mac Games

Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/tuncerdeniz

#6 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 05:41 PM

Perfection, on January 20th 2005, 02:57 PM, said:

It really pisses me off how some people that certainly mean no harm unsuspectingly start a topic about a game in the general forum, and not after two or three posts they are aggresively pounced on, being rudely scolded for not putting this is the right forum.

All of these forums have really made this place more hostile. Instead of getting an answer to your question, you get pounced on.

View Post

I've been doing most of the moving.  Am I really being hostile, aggressively pouncing on folks and rudely scolding them?  I've been conscientiously trying to make it as painless and friendly as I can to the users, kidding about the move in most cases, trying to explain why I moved in others.  Have I really been such a monster?  :unsure:
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#7 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 06:24 PM

the Battle Cat, on January 20th 2005, 05:41 PM, said:

Have I really been such a monster?  :unsure:

View Post

I don't think so.

You are very polite and mature with your moderating.   ;)
-iMac

(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)
Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others

Get Mac Game Mods: Macologist.org

#8 Tycho Celchu

Tycho Celchu

Godlike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2470 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 08:33 PM

Tuncer (IMG), on January 20th 2005, 02:26 PM, said:

As for the forums, I think they are way, way better than they used to be. Content is now more organized instead of being dumped into one folder. But that's just my opinion :)

View Post

Hey now! I like my "Stuff" folder on my desktop!
"To be great is to be misunderstood" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

#9 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 20 January 2005 - 10:22 PM

This belongs in the Feedback forum. Topic moved.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#10 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 09:35 AM

The iMac Man, on January 20th 2005, 05:24 PM, said:

I don't think so.

You are very polite and mature with your moderating.   ;)

View Post

Thanks!  I AM mature!  Just for that I'm inviting you to my birthday party!  We are going to have ice cream and cake and play games and there is going to be a drunk clown and a rented inflatable "bouncing" house filled with colored balls and everything... but Perfection isn't invited.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#11 George the Flea

George the Flea

IMG Comma Junkie

• IMG Writers
  • 680 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 02:46 PM

Frigidman, on January 20th 2005, 08:22 PM, said:

This belongs in the Feedback forum. Topic moved.

Heh.  Is it just me, or is this mildly ironic?   :D
Ian
IMG Flunky

Me + web = Beckism.com | Tagamac | One Crayon

#12 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 05:40 PM

the Battle Cat, on January 21st 2005, 08:35 AM, said:

Thanks!  I AM mature!  Just for that I'm inviting you to my birthday party!  We are going to have ice cream and cake and play games and there is going to be a drunk clown and a rented inflatable "bouncing" house filled with colored balls and everything... but Perfection isn't invited.

View Post

Wow. Battle cat's 57th birthay party. Am I invited? :D
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#13 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 07:28 PM

Oh hell yeah, you're bringing the pie!  (Bday is in 6 months though)
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#14 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 07:57 PM

Thats why they call me Space Pie-rate Killer :)
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#15 Perfection

Perfection

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 11:17 AM

the Battle Cat, on January 20th 2005, 06:41 PM, said:

I've been doing most of the moving.  Am I really being hostile, aggressively pouncing on folks and rudely scolding them?  I've been conscientiously trying to make it as painless and friendly as I can to the users, kidding about the move in most cases, trying to explain why I moved in others.  Have I really been such a monster?  :unsure:

View Post

Actually, you have been quite polite about it individually. It's only when several people seem to give the response "somebody already asked this" or "this should be in forum x," it feels quite hostile. Now, I must admit that is has never happened to me, so I don't ACTUALLY know what it feels like, but I could see some newbies being very intimidated away from this forum.

Again, this is not a fault of any individual, and Battle Cat, I'm sorry if you took offense to that.

#16 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 12:39 PM

hmmmmm... well, I guess you can come to my birthday party too.  

Kidding aside and apology gratefully accepted, what you are asking for is a general shift in attitude of the forum population towards those posting in the wrong forum.  It certainly doesn't hurt to ask for that although I haven't noticed a problem myself.  Does it get blunt sometimes?  I suppose so.  Some folks are getting tired of people not posting correctly.  If you find someone who is being hostile and aggressively pouncing on somebody by rudely scolding them for putting something in the wrong forum then speak up in that thread when it happens.  Civil behavior needs role models, be a role model.  As politely as possible, nudge them towards a more affable discourse.  If you think an instance is way out of hand, PM me and I'll try to help out.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#17 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 22 January 2005 - 01:33 PM

Various places I have been that have multiple forums for specific discussions, have always had people stomp on some doof who posts about something completely unrealted to the forum, when a perfectly obvious forum for the topic is right next to it. It's like, don't they read? How could they have not noticed that a forum for nose picking was sitting next to the forum for ass licking? How come they posted about butt nuggets to a bunch of nose pickers?!

I've also been to places where they don't have very many forums split for different discussions. They just have everything piled into one. These places I rarely ever go back too, because its a big festering stink hole of unrelated discussions all hopping over each other. Coupled with the fact most people rarely put a very descriptive topic title, you end up wasting your time looking into topics about stuff you have no interest in reading.

Having split forums to allow categorizing of topics, helps in so many respects. All of which have nothing to do with elitism or ill-intended segregation. The only benefit to throwing everything into a single compost heap, is ... uhm. fire truck I can't think of any benefits.

Also, not everyone in the gaming universe likes every game type there is. It is more aggrevating to people to have to sift through discussions about lame shooters, when they are only interested in role playing games. Or maybe strategists might give a rat's donkey hole about sports.

Categories were invented to help break things up and make life easier to find and give information. Imagine if a library had no categories, or a store... imagine what ebay would be like? Yeah, lets jumble everything into a single stack of steaming hot ether pancakes.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#18 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 04:45 PM

Frigidman, on January 22nd 2005, 11:33 AM, said:

Also, not everyone in the gaming universe likes every game type there is. It is more aggrevating to people to have to sift through discussions about lame shooters, when they are only interested in role playing games. Or maybe strategists might give a rat's donkey hole about sports.

Categories were invented to help break things up and make life easier to find and give information. Imagine if a library had no categories, or a store... imagine what ebay would be like? Yeah, lets jumble everything into a single stack of steaming hot ether pancakes.

View Post

What confuses me is games that defy classification into a single genre. For example, this thread on Savage is in the Adventure & RPG category, as far as I can tell it's neither. It could both be classified as both a first person shooter, or a real time strategy game. Which forum should it be in, Shooters or Strategy?

And what about games that aren't on the Mac? Are those supposed to go in Off Topic or General? Should it go in the forum for the games genre anyways?

#19 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 22 January 2005 - 04:54 PM

No One, on January 22nd 2005, 11:45 PM, said:

What confuses me is games that defy classification into a single genre. For example, this thread on Savage is in the Adventure & RPG category, as far as I can tell it's neither. It could both be classified as both a first person shooter, or a real time strategy game. Which forum should it be in, Shooters or Strategy?

hehe, that's a temporary mind fart on my part, I'm still too used to the old RPG and Strategy forum, so I picked the wrong one.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#20 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 05:45 PM

Whaleman, on January 22nd 2005, 02:54 PM, said:

hehe, that's a temporary mind fart on my part, I'm still too used to the old RPG and Strategy forum, so I picked the wrong one.

View Post

That makes sense. I wondered why it ended up there in the first place. I was just confused as to where I would go to talk about it.