47 replies to this topic

#41 berkstin

berkstin

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 01:44 PM

Wow.  That match had it all, eh? Red cards, extra time, the works.  I've never had one that wild, although back in ChampMan 03/04 I had a Champions League final that I won 5-4 on penalties, I think.

I'm just starting season 4 with Celtic, and I'm almost to the point where the 'old guard' players that were there when I started the game are going to leave en masse, via retirement or simply getting too slow and expensive - I think 6 or 7 of them have contract's up at the end of the season, and as they're all in their 30's, I doubt I'll renew any of them.  I had a bit of the problem someone mentioned earlier in the thread last season, where my squad size got bloated and some people started to whine a bit - but I sold one of them off and that seemed to stifle the rest of the complainers.   :P  I've got a ton of transfer money sitting there (well, a ton for Scotland: about 11 million) but haven't found a superstar that is worth the fee AND is willing to come to Glasgow...

This season I HAVE to make some waves in Europe.  So far, in three seasons I've been to the quarter-final of the EURO cup once (after being dumped from the CL in the group stage) and knocked out in the first knockout round of the CL twice.   I destroyed the Scottish PL in season 3 (2 losses on the year, one that came after I had clinched and was playing scrubs), and I may have to seek out a new club if I can't get the Hoops to rise to the challenge.

Regular starters:
G: Graham Stack
DR: Jackie McNamara
DC: Joos Valgaren, Lee Wilkie
DL: Kevin McNaughton
MR: Didier Agathe
MC: Stilian Petrov ©, Stephen Pearson
ML: Ross Wallace/Ryan Conroy/Suazo (platoon)
F/S: Henri Camara/Chris Sutton/Craig Beattie

"Supersubs": Derek Kerr (D/DM RLC), Petter Andersson (AM/F RLC) - I love pacey, versatile youngsters that can play all over the pitch...

#42 dice

dice

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 02:49 PM

Ok, I'm finally going to get around to buying FM 2005... straight after I finish my Uni work   ;) The last version of CM I brought was CM 99/00- the disc is now so scratched its unplayable (even after applying toothpaste to the surface of the CD). Also it'll be good starting afresh and not knowing all the best players (don't suppose Andri Sigporsson and Wille Howie are still around?). The only thing that put me off buying FM 2005 was that the Demo crashed halfway through. But you all seem to be enjoying it so I'm gonna take the plunge... Move over Martin Jol, I'm taking over now!

#43 kardinal

kardinal

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 05:29 PM

Get ready to sign a lot of hours away!

#44 monkeyphonix

monkeyphonix

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 03:07 AM

kardinal, on March 22nd 2005, 11:29 PM, said:

Get ready to sign a lot of hours away!

View Post

Amen. Am having a break this week...think I OD'd.

#45 kardinal

kardinal

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 05:14 AM

monkeyphonix, on March 27th 2005, 09:07 AM, said:

View Post

That always happens to me too... When I got new versions of CM, I always did that as well, and now again with FM2005.

At least I've gone through that obsessive phase, and now can just play a game or two a day without probs.

As an update, my Atletico Madrid team is now officially one point behind Spanish League leaders Real Madrid after 34 games, with the third placed Valencia 9 points behind me! Not bad for a team that was only expected to finish in the top half...

#46 Sternum

Sternum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 06:33 AM

monkeyphonix, on March 27th 2005, 03:07 AM, said:

View Post

Me too. I played a marathon season as River Plate in Argentina, finishing first after being in tenth place at the midseason. It earned my brain a vacation.

#47 kardinal

kardinal

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 05:41 PM

Can't believe it! I won the La Liga with Atletico Madrid on the last day of the season!

With two points behind Real Madrid, I managed to scrape through a 1-0 victory in the last game of the season while Real drew theirs, and won with 90 points after 38 games against Real's 89! Simply can't believe it... A team that was expected to finish in the top half only winning the league?!?

I think what tipped the balance was clever buys and filling the gaps during the season - before the season even started I bought Van Bommel and Geremi to be the core of the midfield, and increased my strike force from one at the beginning of the season (when I took charge) to four once the transfer window opened. Another massively important buy was Jorge Andrade in defence who really solidified my defence. At the time I was fifth in the league with a dodgy offensive record, but at the end of the season only Real had scored more goals.

Now, depending on what the transfer budget will be at the beginning of the new season, both full-back positions need fresh blood.

#48 Alexandre.

Alexandre.

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 07:05 PM

Best game ever on the Mac, FACT. Can't wait for FM 2006. \o/