47 replies to this topic

#21 Smegdude

Smegdude

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 11:59 AM

i've found that you can get some pretty good players when their contract status is unprotected. You can sign them for their value without having to deal with the club and offer them more than they are worth. Using that idea i've got a pretty spectacular man utd squad.
Starting 2006/2007 season:

Goalkeepers: Tim Howard, Roy Caroll

Defenders: Roberto FabiŠn Ayala, MikaŽl Silvestre, Nigel de Jong, Wes Brown, John O'Shea, Gabriel IvŠn Heinze, Alessandro Nesta, Fabio Cannavaro, Gary Neville, Asier Del Horno

Midfield:Klťberson, Roy Keane, Darren Fletcher, Jermaine Jenas, Ryan Giggs, Zinedine Zidane, Michael Ballack, Juan RomŠn Riquelme, Paul Scholes, Ronaldo(Cristiano), Albert Luque

Strikers:Francesco Totti, Wayne Rooney, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Ronaldo

i've won the premiership twice, champions league twice and the FA Cup and League Cup once each.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those that understand binary and those that don't

#22 kardinal

kardinal

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 04:57 AM

That's pretty good... I usually try to sign as many people on bosmans i can, but sometimes when it comes to players like Gerrard i do think it's worth splashing out. My player turnover has been pretty big in the first few years, and i tend to adopt a policy of starting to sell players when they get to 30-32 as you can still get a large payout and invest in young stars.

PS. Is there no way of attaching pics on posts here?

#23 kardinal

kardinal

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 06:05 AM

Oh, and the main problem i have at the moment with the squad is too many strikers... I can either try to sell Mutu (the oldest of the bunch, him and Tevez scored 20-25 goals each last season - while Drogba scored 57), or try and get Robinho on loan somewhere. The latter's the best option imho, because he needs a lot of first team experience.

#24 Sternum

Sternum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 08:35 AM

Anyone ever dabble in lower league play -- picking a low level team and playing without the benefit of the player search function (ie just using scouts to find new players)? It makes for an interesting game.

#25 kardinal

kardinal

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 07:27 PM

Sternum, on February 13th 2005, 02:35 PM, said:

Anyone ever dabble in lower league play -- picking a low level team and playing without the benefit of the player search function (ie just using scouts to find new players)? It makes for an interesting game.

View Post

I bet... :P

I simultaneously manage Atletico Madrid with a different manager in the same game, and it is proving quite a challenge. With Chelsea all I need to do is to pick my formation (usually an attacking 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3), and adjust the team tactics sliders depending on the opponent (very attacking against teams like West Brom, whereas with bigger teams it's slightly less attacking, with the addition of tight marking and aggressive closing down). With At. Madrid, chosing tactics and players is much more of a challenge, particularly when facing Barcelona or Real...

#26 monkeyphonix

monkeyphonix

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 07:30 PM

Sternum, on February 13th 2005, 02:35 PM, said:

View Post

Haven't tried with a financially poor team, its a bigger challenge but you'd end up losing so often it'd be hard to enjoy. Or maybe thats just me. At the moment I like playing as Ajax, a big team in a small competition (Holland) and the challenge is to do well in Europe with a small transfer budget ($10 mill) and compete with the likes of Inter, Barca, ManYoo and Arsenal.

There's a new data update out that brings the transfers up to date with this month. Haven't tried it yet since you have to start a new game for the changes to take effect. Check it out:

http://www.fmsorted.net/?p=updates

Anyone else find it strange that IMG seems to have ignored this game? No reviews and nothing in the news when updates come out. Shame really cause it has such a massive following everywhere apart from the US. I guess thats probably why IMG ignores it.

Kardinal thats some impressive line up you have there. I'd recommend offloading Mutu and giving Robinho a chance to shine. He really is impressive and scored 30+ for me in his first season. His speciality seems to be lobbing the charging keeper. Very satisfying!

#27 kardinal

kardinal

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 02:03 PM

I was thinking that too... Although Torres got injured for 4 weeks, so the decision can be postponed for a bit. :P

Strange that, usually injuries are the last thing i want, but because of them i've increased my squad size to the point that it's hard to keep everyone happy unless there are a few injuries every now and then!

#28 monkeyphonix

monkeyphonix

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 06:21 PM

kardinal, on February 16th 2005, 08:03 PM, said:

Strange that, usually injuries are the last thing i want, but because of them i've increased my squad size to the point that it's hard to keep everyone happy unless there are a few injuries every now and then!

View Post

I've got the same problem. Have got Carnevaghi, Robinho, Sonk, de Mul, Mohammed Zidan, Rosales and de Ridder up front. I've put de Ridder in with the reserves and available to loan but unless someone gets injured I've got people bitching about too much competition for a first team place. Zidan has just asked to be put on the transfer list and he's only half way through his first season with me! Petulant little Egyptian; off you go then. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. It almost makes you hope for injuries!

#29 Smegdude

Smegdude

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 07:08 PM

i find that if you just swap players after each game as they become tired and their condition get lower than 100% you can can keep everyone happy and keep the team at a high condition rating. And if some get injured then their backup is fully fit and in form to score in their place. I needed to mix and match to find good combinations with my strikers but now i just can't stop scoring.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those that understand binary and those that don't

#30 kardinal

kardinal

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 02:30 PM

Most of the time it's ok, but if you forget to rotate players for a few games some of them start getting unhappy. But on the bright side, considering Torres and Deisler are injured for four weeks, I'm not the least bit worried with Joaquin to take Deisler's place and still have four top rated strikers in full condition! And Drogba's already scored 13 goals in 7 games or so in a new season...

But yeah... Mutu was one of my star players on CM 03/04, scoring more than 30 goals every single season (i played for seven seasons, and in the last two he scored more than 80 each) - but he doesn't seem to be quite as good in FM 2005. Drogba on the other hand seems to be excellent.

Tevez I also had some problems with in my first season. He had problems settling in and wanted to leave, so i put him as available on loan and kept playing him. It took 7 months or so, but he did settle in eventually.

#31 BadgerHunter

BadgerHunter

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 06:18 PM

I'm playing as Blackburn. Won most of my pre-season games (no losses, two ties) and I won my first season game but the two after that (Tottenham an Chelsea) went horribly wrong. Had some trouble getting in new players (I've finally gotten a decent keeper and striker.. but things ain't lookin good for the rest of the season. My defense usually shuts down any scoring attempts pretty fast but for some reason chelsea scored 2 goals and another two penalty kicks.

#32 kardinal

kardinal

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 01:33 PM

This season seems to be going quite well at the moment... My Chelsea manager has a 100% win record out of 13 games so far, leading by 12 points over second placed ManU (they've got two games in hand though), with 42 goals scored and 9 conceded. And in the Champions League I've won 4 out of 4 played in my group (Group E: Chelsea, Roma, VfB Stuttgart and Basel) with 9 scored and 1 conceded.

But what i'm really happy about is how my Atletico Madrid team is doing under my second manager in the game. After 10 games, I'm 6th with 19 points, and 6 wins (one of them against Barca!), 1 draw. Considering a top half finish is all i need, I'm doing pretty well so far. My current weakness is in the striker department, with only two strikers in hand - although once the transfer window opens I'm getting Fernando from Betis and Jack Tyup (a young Holland striker) which should help me out.

#33 kardinal

kardinal

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 05:57 AM

Any more progress reports? Or are you guys too busy playing? :P

#34 kardinal

kardinal

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 08:20 AM

An interesting twist in the story - my Atletico Madrid team are now 3rd in the La Liga, with four points behind the league leaders Real Madrid and two points behind second placed Valencia... Not bad for a team that is looking for no more than a top 10 finish!

Not to mention a team with a budget of a fraction of the big guys!

#35 kardinal

kardinal

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 08:54 AM

Hmm... Even a big squad isn't an insurance for injuries at all times as my Chelsea experiment shows. I've got all left wingers injured for the moment, Duff down for a week, Joe Cole down for a month and Robben down for another four days - meaning I don't have a left winger for the next game. On top of that, Joaquin is suspended, so while i've still got Deisler for the right hand side, I can't use one of them on the left as a short term measure.

Might try the 4-3-3 tactic instead then, with Aimar, Gerrard and Lampard in the midfield, and Drogba, Tevez and Robinho up front.

#36 berkstin

berkstin

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 12:41 PM

If anyone's looking for a young goalie to bring along in their game, look for Graham Stack.  I signed him on a free around the middle of my first season (I'm playing as Celtic), and now, in the  final stretch of my 2nd season, he's firmly ensconced in my starting lineup - and only about 23 years old and killer stats.  He's made a bunch of great saves, and is also really good at placing his goal kicks to spark counterattacks.

I agree about how hard it is to balance team size and playing time.  because of league play + 2 cup competitions + European competition (plus having a bunch of players who play for their national sides) I have to keep a really big squad, because for most of the season I'm playing 2 or even 3 matches a week.  I was able to pull it off my first year, but in year 2 I'm getting bitten by the injury bug a lot more.  

Playing Celtic's been interesting - of course league play is generally easy, as Rangers and (sometimes) Aberdeen are about the only teams that give me problems.  The challenging part is the European competition - my first season I made it to the semi-final of the UEFA/Euro cup before losing to eventual champion Barcelona.  My second season I'm through the Champions League group stage and about to play Ajax (I think) in the first knockout round.

#37 kardinal

kardinal

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 05:46 PM

Sounds good - I found Rensing (Bayern's 20-21 year old reserve keeper) to be pretty outstanding, and a very good step in for Cech.

As for squad size issues... I hear ya! My Chelsea team was facing a bit of an injury problem, with both left-backs and all left wingers injured at the same time. Had to play Carvalho as a makeshift left-back, and revert to a 4-3-3 since I didn't have left wingers. It wasn't a big problem as I normally tend to start with a 4-4-2 with wide wingers, but depending on how the game goes I often switch to a 4-3-3 later. I've rescued myself out of a situation where I went 3-0 down in 30 mins (complete and utter lack of ability keep the ball for some reason, normally never a problem), then switched to a 4-3-3 with some attacking subs (three strikers, two wingers and one defensive midfielder as an anchor) and eventually won 6-3.

#38 berkstin

berkstin

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 11:36 PM

kardinal, on March 9th 2005, 04:46 PM, said:

...I've rescued myself out of a situation where I went 3-0 down in 30 mins (complete and utter lack of ability keep the ball for some reason, normally never a problem), then switched to a 4-3-3 with some attacking subs (three strikers, two wingers and one defensive midfielder as an anchor) and eventually won 6-3.

View Post

Nice-  this time around, I decided to try something different with tactics.  Instead of my usual devising 2-4 different tactics for various situations, I designed one simple 4-4-2 and basically never change it - I mean, during matches I'll tweak sliders, assign my best defenders to mark their best attackers, etc.  And I have my U19s and Reserves playing it always as well.

I can't say whether I'd do better being more flexible, but I can say that, in the SPL, I'm 20 points clear of the 2nd place team with 10 matches to go.   :D

#39 Sternum

Sternum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 03:11 PM

I was playing as Independiente in Argentina, but no matter how a juggled my tactics, nothing would stick. I had a decent goalkeeper, but somehow balls would slip through every game, and my strikers simply couldn't find the net. Before long, we were in 20th place and the board of directors was pissed. I took a vacation during the holiday break in hopes of regrouping for the Season Close, but when I got back, I discovered that I'd been fired!

Now I'm managing some backwater, third division team in Brazil....

#40 kardinal

kardinal

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 03:31 PM

I just had the most nailbiting game of either team I'm managing for the entire game so far... An English League Cup game against Liverpool (which incidentally is the team I myself support), specifically the second leg. The first leg I beat Liverpool 4-0, where they fought a 0-0 game until the 76th minute when my attacking 4-3-3 formation finally brought the goals I wanted (4 in 15 minutes is not too bad, eh?).

The second leg started off innociously enough, Tevez scored a brilliant goal after 7 minutes. The game flowed back and forth with plenty of chances for either team until Kewell broke the deadlock and equalised. After that, Liverpool dominated and van der Vaart put L'pool ahead just before half time. Bot sides had yellow cards for several players - and then Sinama Pongolle scored goals on the 58th and 66th mintues. Still no worries, I was still ahead 5-4 on aggregate.

Then, all hell started breaking loose. Joaquin was sent off for a second yellow on the 79th minute, and Lampard got his second yellow on the 88th. And Pongolle scored a hat-trick on injury time with the last shot of full time play, taking the game to extra time. To add on the misery, Joe Cole went and elbowed Hyypia, and earned a straight red 6 minutes into extra time. With three men down, I really struggled to see how I could get through. Then, completely against the flow of the game, Torres scored a magnificent individual effort to give me some hope 11 minutes into extra time. 4 minutes later, Jordan Holmes for Liverpool was sent off. And for the first time I started seeing some hope. Unfortunately, Baros scored just before the end of the first half of extra time. And I was literally hanging on by my fingernails, as Liverpool kept on attacking and my players rescued so many chances off the line, throwing themselves in front of the ball and generally gave everything they had. Finally, at the end of the second half of extra time, Hamann was sent off, and I could start breathing again since I'd go through on away goals...

All in all, Liverpool had 42 shots on goal, 26 on target, while my Chelsea team only managed 20 with 9 on target. They had 9 yellow cards and two reds, while I had 7 yellows and 3 red ones. Simply an unbeleivable game...

Unfortunately I'm facing ManU next, with Deisler injured, Cole, Lamps and Joaquin suspended, and a lot of players very tired after a game that lasted 120 minutes plus injury time (probably another 15 more).

It's the first individual game I've lost with Chelsea for a year and a half, and NEVER have I conceded 6 goals in a single game...... Awful....