47 replies to this topic

#1 monkeyphonix

monkeyphonix

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 08:10 PM

FM2005 has been out for a while now but for some reason no-one in Australia has it. I know its not a hugely popular a sport here but it being a PC/Mac hybrid release for the first time I thought I would have been able to find it at Electronics Boutique or some such. Apparently supplies are severly constrained. What a load of ****

Anyone playing it? Dreading readjusting to the whole new interface. Any bugs in it?

#2 kardinal

kardinal

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 04:11 PM

I've had it since the third day it was released - I think it's an awesome game. I've played the earlier CM releases since 00/01, and I think over the years this has been the biggest improvement between any of those releases. The brand new interface is much better structured than the old one, even if it takes a bit to get used to, and the more extensive database, the manager mind-games feature etc. make it a much more enjoyable experience.

You might be able to order it from Europe or the US... Don't know if Amazon would let you ship internationally.

#3 Biscuit2K

Biscuit2K

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 04:30 PM

kardinal, on January 19th 2005, 11:11 PM, said:

I've had it since the third day it was released - I think it's an awesome game. I've played the earlier CM releases since 00/01, and I think over the years this has been the biggest improvement between any of those releases. The brand new interface is much better structured than the old one, even if it takes a bit to get used to, and the more extensive database, the manager mind-games feature etc. make it a much more enjoyable experience.

You might be able to order it from Europe or the US... Don't know if Amazon would let you ship internationally.

View Post

Sounds good! Ive always been into the Champ Man games, i think i might have to grab this.

#4 monkeyphonix

monkeyphonix

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 11:18 PM

Biscuit2K, on January 19th 2005, 10:30 PM, said:

Sounds good! Ive always been into the Champ Man games, i think i might have to grab this.

View Post

Finally tracked a copy down at Electronics Boutique on the other side of Sydney. They had one copy reserved for someone they couldn't get hold of so they sold it to me.

Man this is a sweet game. Interface is easy to get used to and much more intuitive. The graphics aren't too everyone's taste (at least mine) but thats the worst thing I can say about the game. Have stayed up till 4am the last two nights getting stuck into it. It runs smooth as butter and is at least as fast as CM4. The mindgames are very amusing if somewhat bewildering. All up a very worthy successor to CM. Looking forward to kissing my social life goodbye!

#5 Smegdude

Smegdude

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 11:02 AM

i'm here still playing the game i started when the beta demo was only just available. Now i've got a godlike team of superstars.

I can't comment on bugs because the game i'm playing comes from the beta demo and is full of little things, like in 2d pitch mode where all the 5's on players shirts are upside down! :blink:

still a great game and available more immediately due to dual release.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those that understand binary and those that don't

#6 kardinal

kardinal

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 06:07 PM

monkeyphonix, on January 21st 2005, 05:18 AM, said:

Finally tracked a copy down at Electronics Boutique on the other side of Sydney. They had one copy reserved for someone they couldn't get hold of so they sold it to me.

Man this is a sweet game. Interface is easy to get used to and much more intuitive. The graphics aren't too everyone's taste (at least mine) but thats the worst thing I can say about the game. Have stayed up till 4am the last two nights getting stuck into it. It runs smooth as butter and is at least as fast as CM4. The mindgames are very amusing if somewhat bewildering. All up a very worthy successor to CM. Looking forward to kissing my social life goodbye!

View Post

It is indeed an awesome game... I spent the first two weeks doing not much else once i got back from work!

The manager mind-games definitely add another interesting dimension to the game. The comments and replies you make definitely affect the morale of your team and that of your opposition!

#7 monkeyphonix

monkeyphonix

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 05:32 PM

I need to catch up on some sleep. The game is rock solid and has lost none of its digital-crack addictiveness.

The one thing I really don't like: that you have to have the disk in the computer to play the game. This used to be the case back in the days of CM00/01 but for CM04 they saw the light and let us play it on our laptops without lugging the stupid disk around. I'm hoping they come (back) to their senses for future editions.

Apart from that annoyance I'm loving it.

#8 yomoooo

yomoooo

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 05:49 AM

Well, I'm not totally into these kind of games, but since FIFA aint ever gonna come to Mac, I guess this is how close you get. I might buy it... later  :)

#9 monkeyphonix

monkeyphonix

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 11:22 PM

yomoooo, on January 26th 2005, 11:49 AM, said:

Well, I'm not totally into these kind of games, but since FIFA aint ever gonna come to Mac, I guess this is how close you get. I might buy it... later  :)

View Post

This game is nothing like the FIFA series. Wait for the demo or try the demo from last season one CM04-05.

#10 yomoooo

yomoooo

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 02:48 AM

monkeyphonix, on January 27th 2005, 06:22 AM, said:

This game is nothing like the FIFA series. Wait for the demo or try the demo from last season one CM04-05.

View Post

Which i can find on macgamefiles or...?

#11 Smegdude

Smegdude

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 09:14 AM

yomoooo, on January 28th 2005, 08:48 AM, said:

Which i can find on macgamefiles or...?

View Post

www.sigames.com is the main place where you can download the demo
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those that understand binary and those that don't

#12 kardinal

kardinal

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 04:14 PM

monkeyphonix, on January 23rd 2005, 11:32 PM, said:

I need to catch up on some sleep. The game is rock solid and has lost none of its digital-crack addictiveness.

The one thing I really don't like: that you have to have the disk in the computer to play the game. This used to be the case back in the days of CM00/01 but for CM04 they saw the light and let us play it on our laptops without lugging the stupid disk around. I'm hoping they come (back) to their senses for future editions.

Apart from that annoyance I'm loving it.

View Post

I know, that's the only gripe i have with FM2005. Otherwise the game is perfect!

And I do believe I have seen a Mac version of a NoCD crack out there, but that was only for 5.0, not for the upgrade (which means if you've saved a game after upgrading, you'd have to start a new one).

#13 monkeyphonix

monkeyphonix

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 05:19 PM

kardinal, on January 30th 2005, 10:14 PM, said:

I know, that's the only gripe i have with FM2005. Otherwise the game is perfect!

And I do believe I have seen a Mac version of a NoCD crack out there, but that was only for 5.0, not for the upgrade (which means if you've saved a game after upgrading, you'd have to start a new one).

View Post

Apparently CM4 not requiring the CD to play was because of problems with the copy protection so they decided to leave it off. Its quite frustrating now as I used to burn lots of CDs and DVDs in the background while I played CM.

#14 Sternum

Sternum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 10:55 AM

I've been madly addicted to FM2005 since early December. It's a genius game, but it might be a little too detailed — there are so many options, I often find it hard to figure out exactly what I need to tweak to get my team working the way I want them. Despite the insane amount of time I've been playing it,* I continue to suck. I'm still rolling around in 10th place in the Argentine Second Division after five years of managing Huracán and my board of directors wants me sacked.

* - games with time clocks that keep track of how much life you've lost playing it are cruel.

#15 monkeyphonix

monkeyphonix

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 08:35 PM

Sternum, on February 2nd 2005, 04:55 PM, said:

I've been madly addicted to FM2005 since early December. It's a genius game, but it might be a little too detailed — there are so many options, I often find it hard to figure out exactly what I need to tweak to get my team working the way I want them. Despite the insane amount of time I've been playing it,* I continue to suck. I'm still rolling around in 10th place in the Argentine Second Division after five years of managing Huracán and my board of directors wants me sacked.
* - games with time clocks that keep track of how much life you've lost playing it are cruel.

View Post

I don't what your knowledge of Football is like. Things like training and tactics are areas where I tend to use the pre-sets and the defaults and not mess about too much. I've had some good results.

Not sure why you would choose a South American team as your first team. I would suggest giving one of the big teams a go for a couple of seasons. Trying out Manchester United or Inter or Real or Barca for a couple of years is the best way to find out about the ins and the outs of management while still being forgiving enough that a mistake won't necessarily cost you the season. I tend to leave the training options alone as the default works well and its easy to mess it up. The default tactics are good as well, the only thing I ever change is Tackling from Easy to Hard but otherwise they also work well.

The big clubs have such huge transfer funds that its easy to pick up good players to add to your already strong squad. Its more enjoyable learning about the ins and the outs of all the micromanagement options in the game while you are soundly thrashing your way in the domestic league as well as the European club competitions.

Friend of mine is a big Fulham fan and his first attempt at the game was as manager of Fulham, but there are only so many 8-0 thrashing you can handle before the game ceases to be enjoyable. He's playing as Inter now and is completely dominating Serie A and is obviously enjoying the game much more.

I started as Barcelona for 4 seasons won everything and then fancied a bigger challenge so I am currently trying to restore Ajax to European club glory. Pretty tricky to do with a small budget!

Oh and if anyone needs a great striker who scores more goals then I've had hot dinners, here's two names for you:

Tevez
Robinho

Both are young and can be acquired for about $6 million. Absolute goal-banging bargains.

#16 monkeyphonix

monkeyphonix

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 08:38 PM

Sternum, on February 2nd 2005, 04:55 PM, said:

View Post

There are some things that you don't want to know...I tend to avoid that area in the game!!!

#17 Sternum

Sternum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 03:57 PM

I started out with an Argentinean club because I've been there, and the football scene is rabid. With over 30 teams smashed into Buenos Aires alone, it gets hectic, especially when the Boca Juniors are facing-off against River Plate. But my favorite club is currently a low-budget, Second Division team, so my transfer budget is low and my players are questionable. It takes just one serious injury to completely destroy my chances at promotion, and it's hard to tell what tactics work or not because I'm not sure if my failures are due to my players or my strategy.

Therefore, I think I'll follow your advice and switch over to a heavy-hitting British team.

As far as tactics is concerned, I usually use the defaults, but tweak them during the game, especially during matches. Training is completely confusing to me, and in my opinion, could use a little more user feedback.

#18 monkeyphonix

monkeyphonix

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 05:11 PM

Sternum, on February 8th 2005, 09:57 PM, said:

I started out with an Argentinean club because I've been there, and the football scene is rabid. With over 30 teams smashed into Buenos Aires alone, it gets hectic, especially when the Boca Juniors are facing-off against River Plate. But my favorite club is currently a low-budget, Second Division team, so my transfer budget is low and my players are questionable. It takes just one serious injury to completely destroy my chances at promotion, and it's hard to tell what tactics work or not because I'm not sure if my failures are due to my players or my strategy.

Therefore, I think I'll follow your advice and switch over to a heavy-hitting British team.

As far as tactics is concerned, I usually use the defaults, but tweak them during the game, especially during matches. Training is completely confusing to me, and in my opinion, could use a little more user feedback.

View Post

I hear the River v Boca games get pretty crazy. Would love to go visit that part of the world myself sometime.

Been playing the CM series for about 5 years now and I have yet to mess around with the player training settings. I leave it on default and prefer to concentrate on tactics and player transfers.

Let us know how you get on with a European team. May you win many European Cups!

#19 kardinal

kardinal

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 04:17 PM

I messed around with the training settings, partly cause i did it with CM 03/04 with considerable success.

Other serious contenders for awesome players: Michael Rensing (20-yr old Bayern GK), Nigel de Jong (19 yr old dutch defender, can become very good in a year or two with sufficient playing time), Javier Mascherano (20-yr old River Plate midfielder, excellent buy and gets better over time), Pablo Aimar (excellent 24-yr old attacking midfielder) and Carlos Torres (20-yr old striker with such amazing stats it is almost ridiculous).

#20 kardinal

kardinal

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 04:28 PM

Oh, in case you're wondering, I'm managing Chelsea. I've managed them in every single version of CM I've played, from CM 99/00 onwards (despite being a Liverpool fan!) - and it was much harder then than it is now. Thinking of taking over Liverpool soon, or Barca. I've also played with smaller teams, but if you do that you have to spend considerably more time scouting players, managing your money and resign yourself to an inevitably high turnaround - the better your team plays, the more big clubs are hounding your doorstep causing you to lose your best players.

My team currently has 24 players, with considerable rotation going on because of a tough season schedule and the usual occasional injuries to key players - so I do need them.

The squad:
GKs: Chech, Rensing
Defenders: Ferreira, de Jong, Johnson, Huth, Lucio, Carvalho, Terry and Bridge
Midfielders: Mascherano, Gerrard, Joaquin, Deisler, Duff, Cole, Robben, Aimar, Lampard
Forwards: Mutu, Tevez, Drogba, Torres, Robinho

I'd say it's ridiculously good, and it is... I did build it up over 4 seasons, but now I'm winning everything left right and centre.