New Version Of Scorched 3d Just Released

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 SilentSid

SilentSid

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 10:54 AM

I'll give this a shot again on my home machine when I get home from work. I tried using the new instructions over the weekend on my laptop and got as far as moving the file but no luck after that. The problems I had were that there was no games folder as well as no usr or local folders either within the documents area. I also tried to manually rename the scorched-bin folder to scorched3d on the regular Tiger interface, but that didn't work either.

I did get a chance to test the game for a few minutes on my brothers old PC - great game! I'm looking forward to getting this to work. I'll log back in later this evening and give my progress.

#22 Forrest

Forrest

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 03:25 PM

The games folder DOES NOT get created in the documents folders. I only suggested downloading the compressed file there so you could find it easily. The tar command will uncompress the file and the mv command will move the uncompressed scorched folder from your documents folder into the /usr/local/games folder.

Please read over the instructions again if something isn't working - all the info is there.

#23 SilentSid

SilentSid

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 04:13 PM

Ok - I got the program installed on my home machine but when I go to start the application. I get this:

Siddles-Computer:~ Sid$ /usr/local/games/scorched3d
Program Assert : in
42:../common/RandomGenerator.cpp
Siddles-Computer:~ Sid$ ./scorched3d
bash: ./scorched3d: No such file or directory

Everything else went just as the installation guide said it would. Now what do I do from here?

#24 Forrest

Forrest

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 05:39 PM

OK - you're very close to getting it working

I vaguely remember having a similar problem a few months ago - I think it was releated to the location of either the scorched3d program or the scorched3d/share folder. To troubleshoot - do this:

a. start X11
b. type cd /usr/local/games/scorched3d
c. type ls

tell me what you get

#25 SilentSid

SilentSid

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 08:44 PM

Ok I gave this a shot and here is what I came up with:

Siddles-Computer:~ Sid$ cd /usr/local/games/scorched3d
bash: cd: /usr/local/games/scorched3d: Not a directory
Siddles-Computer:~ Sid$ ls
Desktop         Games           Movies          Pictures        Sites
Documents       Library         Music           Public
Siddles-Computer:~ Sid$

Hope this helps.

#26 Forrest

Forrest

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 09:50 PM

Hmm - I thought you copied the scorched folder to /usr/local/games (which is where it belongs). Are you typing these commands from within X11? The reason I ask is BASH is installed on your system and I don't have BASH on my X11 system.

Here's what my directory of /usr/local/games/scorched3d looks like:
COPYING         README          TODO            scorched3d      share

As shown above, the scorched3d program is in the scorched3d folder. On your system, the scorched3d program may be hiding in the share folder. Use the mv command to move it out of the share folder and into the scorched3d folder.

#27 SilentSid

SilentSid

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 10:16 PM

Ok - making some progress here. I really appreciate the help. Here is what I get when I check the /usr/local/games directory:

Siddles-Computer:~ Sid$ cd /usr/local/games
Siddles-Computer:/usr/local/games Sid$ ls
COPYING         README          TODO            scorched3d      share
Siddles-Computer:/usr/local/games Sid$

And after trying the command to run the game, it works!! Again, thanks alot for all your help. Now I gotta get used to the game and the controls.  :)

#28 Forrest

Forrest

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:31 AM

Glad you got the game working - finally. The first thing you should do is click 'Change Game Settings' and set the resolution to something your monitor supports. If you have a 16 MB graphic card, then you'll need to select 640 x 480 or 800 x 600 with small textures. Secondly, check the box for 'Invert mouse Y axis'. Click the 'OK' button and you should be all set to play.

#29 SilentSid

SilentSid

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 11:48 AM

I guess the next question I have deals with mods and public servers. I was looking at the list of the public servers and noticed that most are running a particular mod. Will I need to download this mod? (Example - server running Shockmod or Apoc)

#30 Forrest

Forrest

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 03:07 PM

Scorched3d version 38 and later will automatically download the mod directly from the server if it's needed. If you have a broadband connection, this takes between 15 seconds and 10 minutes (depending on the mod). If you're on dialup, this it takes longer but the good news it's a 1 time download.

#31 Forrest

Forrest

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 10:22 AM

Scorched3d version 39.1 was released for the Mac on September 18. This version requires OpenAL which you'll need to download and install seperately. While 39.1 does work on both of my Macs running OSX 10.3.9 - it does crash when you quit the game by pressing the 'esc' key and you'll see the 'Program unexpectadly terminated' dialog box. Once you press 'OK' you can play another game. The author has been notified of the problem. Download the OpenAL and Scorched 39.1 here Scorched3d

#32 Forrest

Forrest

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 06:22 AM

Scorched 3d version 40 was released for OSX on July 19, 2006 - just 4 days after the Windows version was posted  :happy:

At this time it looks like it only runs on G4, G5 and maybe Intel Macs (anyone want to test it?) under OSX 10.4.x

Version 40 adds many new features such as :-  
- New scoring modes
- In game tutorial
- Speed improvements
- Better 3D Positional Sound  
- Ships and other graphical enhancements
- And many more additions and fixes.  

You can download it here
http://sourceforge.n...?group_id=85144

Installation for version 40 is somewhat easier than older versions - it's now a disk image .dmg

Here are new install instructions that I just wrote:

Instructions for installing and starting Scorched3d 40 under OSX 10.4.x or later - written for users who've never seen a command prompt on a Mac before  :)

1. Download Scorched3d and mount the disk image by double-clicking the .dmg file

2. Create a new folder on your Desktop called scorched3d and drag all items from the mounted disk image into the scorched3d folder

3. Copy the folder to your Documents folder

4. Run X11 (located in your Utilties folder). If you don't see X11 in your Utilities folder, then you'll need to install it from your OSX 10.4 CD/DVD. See here for detailed instructions http://docs.info.app...l?artnum=301229

5. You should be looking at a command prompt ending with username%
Type each of these commands followed by [return]. Note spaces in the commands are important!

6. cd documents

7. sudo mv scorched3d /usr/local/games/
(Note you'll need to type your administrator password here)

8. cd /usr/local/games/scorched3d

9. ./scorched3d

That's it - you should see the Scorched3d program window.

To restart the program, just run X11 and do steps 8 and 9

Installation Troubleshooting:

If you saw an error during step 7, it's because there's no game folder on your system (for Unix games). To create a games folder type:

cd /usr/local
mkdir games

Now Quit X11, restart X11 and repeat from step 6

FYI to display a disk directory from X11 and confirm the games folder was created, type ls (that's lowercase LS)

For other errors - re-check your typing. One wrong character and the command won't work (don't you just love command lines)

The Scorched3d program is hard-coded to reside in the /usr/local/games/scorched3d folder

Have fun  :D

#33 Forrest

Forrest

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 10:59 PM

There an .app version of Scorched 3d version 40 that was released a few days ago.  This means you can now install and play Scorched3d right from the Finder - no more messing around with X11 and command lines  :)

Requires a G4 or faster and OSX 10.4.x

You can download it here
http://www.scorched3...k/downloads.php

#34 WhiteSavage

WhiteSavage

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 03:51 PM

Hmm the app. version is not working for me. I've downloaded it but once I mount the .dmg the app. refuses to open. Should I go through X11 anyway and then use the app top open it in finder?

#35 Forrest

Forrest

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 10:30 AM

Hmm, are you sure Scorched3d is not opening? The .app version has an odd habit of opening and displaying the main screen BEHIND other windows on the desktop. Does your computer meet the System requirements listed in the previous message?

#36 WhiteSavage

WhiteSavage

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 01:20 AM

I'm doing this on a 1.42 Ghz G4 with 512 MB RAM running 10.4.8. I downloaded it from the above link and from a different link on the site itself. Each time I mounted the .dmg and then double clicked on the game icon. The app logo pops up on my dock for a second, bounces once, then disappears. :\

Maybe I should talk to the games creators?

#37 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 02:29 AM

You could try running it from the terminal, so you can see any error messages that might appear.

--Eric

#38 Forrest

Forrest

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 06:36 AM

Hmm, should work on your G4. What video card do you have in your G4?

The .app version is something brand new for this version. You can still download the X11 version and run it from the X11 command line - see my message dated July 22 on how to install and run the game.

#39 Forrest

Forrest

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 07:55 AM

Another new version of Scorched3d was released today - version 40.1d. This is a simultaneous release for Windows, OSX and Linux all on the same day! This version needs to run from X11 - use my install directions from my July 22 post. Have fun. :D

#40 chander

chander

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 02:22 AM

Version 38 of Scorched 3D was just released currently and  I've been playing this  I think it is so interesting  and it become a another popular Game for Mac.