#41 Lucian

Lucian

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3028 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 12:42 PM

placebo,

ATI says the X800 XT will be available for purchase from their website by the end of next week. So just keep that money from burning a hole in your pocket. =)

wymer, your comments are dead on. But to reiterate: the 6800 might have more advanced _features_, but who is taking advantage of shader model 3 and the other buzzwords? Almost no PC developer that I know of. I guess you could make the argument that by purchasing a 6800, you are future proofing yourself. But with the life cycle of graphics cards now and how quickly the advance technologies trickle down to less expensive cards, I'd say that argument is flawed.
I live in Mexifornia.

#42 Endymion

Endymion

Master Blaster

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1693 posts
  • Steam Name:Aleksael
  • Steam ID:Aleksael
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 January 2005 - 12:59 PM

Brad Oliver, on January 5th 2005, 01:47 PM, said:

Can I say that you can say that you're not sure that you're not happy? ;)

View Post

I'm pretty sure that I'm not happy. I really anticipated a new card in this league to coincide with a PCI Express logic board.

#43 Bastich

Bastich

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 01:19 PM

Patience, my son. MacWorld is just around the corner!

B)

#44 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 03:44 PM

Lucian, on January 7th 2005, 11:42 AM, said:

placebo,

ATI says the X800 XT will be available for purchase from their website by the end of next week. So just keep that money from burning a hole in your pocket. =)
End of next week?! I'm DYING here!  :o

#45 Lucian

Lucian

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3028 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 04:07 PM

Endymion, on January 7th 2005, 06:59 PM, said:

Brad Oliver, on January 5th 2005, 01:47 PM, said:

Can I say that you can say that you're not sure that you're not happy? ;)

View Post

I'm pretty sure that I'm not happy. I really anticipated a new card in this league to coincide with a PCI Express logic board.

View Post

Maybe if you explain what advantages PCI Express has over AGP, we can better understand why you are unsatisfied with ATI's announcement. Maybe you expected them to announce PCI Express GPUs, which no one with a currently shipping Mac would be able to use?
I live in Mexifornia.

#46 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 07:00 PM

placebo, on January 7th 2005, 02:44 PM, said:

Lucian, on January 7th 2005, 11:42 AM, said:

placebo,

End of next week?! I'm DYING here!  :o

View Post

Meh, I guess I'll have my PayPal account up and running at about then anyways.

#47 tthiel

tthiel

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 07:11 PM

Accellerate Your Mac Review is out.

http://www.xlr8yourm...view/index.html

#48 tthiel

tthiel

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 12:51 AM

Yet another review this time from Creative Mac.  Some excellent pics of 6800 and X800 and he talks alot about how noisy the 6800 is in comparison to the X800.

http://www.creativem...le.jsp?id=29945

#49 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 10:01 AM

Where are these people getting the cards? :\

#50 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 08 January 2005 - 11:14 AM

From ATI ;)

Magazines gets cards before they're released so they can have a review at release. benchmarking can take quite some time, so if it wasn't done this way, there would be a couple of weeks after release before the extensive reviews were out.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#51 Ramius

Ramius

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 02:28 PM

Does the ADC port on this thing work with the 17" CRT Studio Display?

#52 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 04:14 PM

The Creative Mac guy didn't seem to need the card for extensive benchmarking.  Give me a darn X800 XT and I'll do some benchmarking!  Gah!  ;)
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#53 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 05:34 PM

Ramius, on January 8th 2005, 01:28 PM, said:

Does the ADC port on this thing work with the 17" CRT Studio Display?

View Post

If it's ADC, it will. And if it's VGA, you can use a DVI>VGI adapter, included I believe.

#54 tthiel

tthiel

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 01:23 AM

That site is concerned with professional graphics arts not games.  So far the best article I have seen has been anandtechs.

a2daj, on January 8th 2005, 10:14 PM, said:

The Creative Mac guy didn't seem to need the card for extensive benchmarking.  Give me a darn X800 XT and I'll do some benchmarking!  Gah!  ;)

View Post

#55 Lucian

Lucian

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3028 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 02:25 AM

It's a sad day when a PC website with 2 articles worth of experience writes a better review than a Mac website with 10 years of experience. But you're right, my review had _way_ too many words.
I live in Mexifornia.

#56 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 02:29 AM

Creative Mac's review was rather lackluster in content.  As a pro graphics art site, you'd think they'd provide something to look at other than shots of the card.  Anandtech had the info on the Dual Link DVI and that was about it.  Woo hoo, XBench...  Barefeats was, a bit bare.  One resolution to rule them all...  Mike and Lucian's articles had more information and benchmarks than any other.  And they were more informative.  The only reason Mike used XBench was because people seem to like it, not that it's useful.

tthiel, on January 8th 2005, 11:23 PM, said:

That site is concerned with professional graphics arts not games.  So far the best article I have seen has been anandtechs.

a2daj, on January 8th 2005, 10:14 PM, said:

The Creative Mac guy didn't seem to need the card for extensive benchmarking.  Give me a darn X800 XT and I'll do some benchmarking!  Gah!  ;)

View Post

View Post

Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#57 Endymion

Endymion

Master Blaster

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1693 posts
  • Steam Name:Aleksael
  • Steam ID:Aleksael

Posted 09 January 2005 - 03:38 AM

Lucian, on January 7th 2005, 05:07 PM, said:

Maybe if you explain what advantages PCI Express has over AGP, we can better understand why you are unsatisfied with ATI's announcement. Maybe you expected them to announce PCI Express GPUs, which no one with a currently shipping Mac would be able to use?

View Post

With current systems AGP is a bottleneck. Video card designers have dealt with this for a while by cramming more memory onto the card. But with PCI Express it doesn't need to be that way. A high end card can be made with more spent on the development than the RAM on the card. This is something like the FSB problem the G4 had, and absolutely alike the AGP transition in the Yikes era. If you want to know more, read this. If you don't want PCI Express in a new tower, that will at least show you why you should.

And to answer your question, I expected a new big splashy card announcement to coincide with a new splashy board from Apple that has PCI Express. I didn't really expect it around the first of the year, but whenever the next logical release came along. With the versions and revisions the 9800 has had this does seem like a bit soonish for a new Mac card, and since there has been no new G5 board, the wait continues for PCI Express.

#58 Lucian

Lucian

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3028 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 04:34 AM

And which current and future applications will be bottlenecked by AGP?

It's not that I don't want PCI Express implemented on the Mac (I do), but unless someone shows me that the 8x AGP bus is being saturated, I don't buy this "me too" mentality. It has become just another buzzword feature that internet kiddies are throwing around without knowing the true benefits for it. Unless you can prove otherwise, I will continue to insist the 8x AGP bus in current G5s is more than enough for what professionals (and by default, consumers) need to do.
I live in Mexifornia.

#59 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 11:50 AM

As far as the sound output goes, it's pretty darn quiet--you can barely hear it over the G5's fans.  A tad bit louder than the Radeon 9800XT which I used to have, but you'll all be pleased with it's noise output.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#60 Abecedaria

Abecedaria

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 04:07 PM

Lucian, on January 9th 2005, 03:34 AM, said:

And which current and future applications will be bottlenecked by AGP?

It's not that I don't want PCI Express implemented on the Mac (I do), but unless someone shows me that the 8x AGP bus is being saturated, I don't buy this "me too" mentality. It has become just another buzzword feature that internet kiddies are throwing around without knowing the true benefits for it. Unless you can prove otherwise, I will continue to insist the 8x AGP bus in current G5s is more than enough for what professionals (and by default, consumers) need to do.

View Post

Here is a good rundown on the benefits of PCI-Express. And, no, there aren't any current video cards that can saturate 8x AGP, let alone PCIe. The benefit of PCIe is more future proofing and elegant design than anything else.

Game PC - PCIe Ramps Up

abc
"THIS is Ceti-alpha 5!"
| 17" MacBook Pro | Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz | 2GB RAM | Radeon Mobility x1600 256MB |
| Boot Camp Windows XP Config: ATI Driver - DHzer0point Catalyst 0.69 | Current overclock: 475 - 475 (stock) |