2 replies to this topic

#1 KTI

KTI

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 03:47 PM

When I was younger, I had a model rail road complete with electric trains.  The two simulators that I can say are VERY well done are the following.

Googol Choo Choo 3d:
http://www.googolple...p/index_us.html
Googol by far is the best train simulations out of the 2 as far as flexibility in making complete model train systems and multiple trains/vehicles.  OpoenGL also lets you 'ride' the trains tracks you build.  There is also 3d import support that lets you build your own train models and plug them in.  Awesome.

Steam Train:
http://www.nostware.com/
This is very well done in that it's a simple program and covers the steam train basics well.  It can be as simple or as detailed as you like it to be.  

The question I have is, if I like these two, will I like 'Railroad Tycoon'?  What overall reactions did you guys get of this game?

#2 Sternum

Sternum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 09:03 AM

Railroad Tycoon III is great, but it's definitely a game first and a train simulator second. The emphasis is on the economics of running a railroad company -- laying efficient track, hauling profitable loads, and investing in industry. If you find that interesting, it's definitely a game for you.

If you're more interested in a digitized model train set, you may be slightly disappointed. The models are beautiful, but realism was sacrificed for gameplay in certain aspects of the game.

Personally, I played through the entire campaign and enjoyed it thoroughly.

#3 KTI

KTI

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 11:44 AM

[quote]If you're more interested in a digitized model train set, you may be slightly disappointed. The models are beautiful, but realism was sacrificed for gameplay in certain aspects of the game.

Personally, I played through the entire campaign and enjoyed it thoroughly.[/quote]Thanks!  I'm very interested in the game, just for the sake of it being trains... if you like digitized model train sets, I still recommend Googol Choo Choo.[/quote]