149 replies to this topic

#21 Gafgarion

Gafgarion

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1418 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 05:34 PM

I think the stupidity has finally hit their brains. This will only lead to more confusion when new members try to post something. It was complicated enough as it was. Johan should feel glad he left ;)

No kidding. I'm quite happy that I decided to stop visiting IMG (a combination of the forum going way downhill and the fact that I no longer have any desire to read IMG's horribly unobjective reviews and news articles that sound like they were written by 10 year olds who gauge a game's value on the hype it receives pre-release).

#22 Tuncer (IMG)

Tuncer (IMG)

Pimpbot 5000

• Admin
  • 923 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 December 2004 - 05:56 PM

No kidding. I'm quite happy that I decided to stop visiting IMG (a combination of the forum going way downhill and the fact that I no longer have any desire to read IMG's horribly unobjective reviews and news articles that sound like they were written by 10 year olds who gauge a game's value on the hype it receives pre-release).

Sorry Gargarion, but that one deserves a "pffft". If you have some construtive and detailed criticism, please email me. Specific examples of "unobjective reviews" would be great.
Tuncer
Inside Mac Games

Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/tuncerdeniz

#23 Gusbenz

Gusbenz

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 05:56 PM

The forum really has gone down hill....its hit rock bottom. I mean, a forum for companies?

#24 Prometheus

Prometheus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 06:04 PM

You all who think this is too complicated are NUTS!
Are you stupid of what? Can't you understand the new forum?
Anyway I like it!
And i hope img keeps it this way.
I <3 RJ

#25 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 08 December 2004 - 06:05 PM

Sorry Gargarion, but that one deserves a "pffft". If you have some construtive and detailed criticism, please email me. Specific examples of "unobjective reviews" would be great.

He's obviously not visiting the same IMG I am :P Although one review now and then tends to be biased but that deffinetly doesn't bring down the experience that is IMG. As for the forums I think Gafgarion has been one of the biggest factors in their demise (if you could call them that, at least if you know which topics to read you can stay clear of the 10 year olds who seem to hate grammar and spelling and anyone with a different opinion than them). In the posts I have read from Gafgarion he has mostly been speaking down on other people, sometime frankly put dissing them, their choice in games or them supporting a said game company (Blizzard, seriously for some time he replied to all Blizzard topics that they sucked...). I for one am glad you chose to keep your distance Gafgarion and hope it don't have to read your mean hearted forum posts again.

#26 Gafgarion

Gafgarion

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1418 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 06:22 PM

World of Warcraft: None of the cons of the game ever mentioned. Never mentioned once. What happened to looking at the pros AND cons of a game?
Dungeon Siege: Received a 9.25. Bugs and multiplayer gaffes never mentioned.
Neverwinter Nights: Received a 9.5 before the expansions. Never mentions the lack of editor, nor the how bad the default campaign. 9.5 with NeverEdit and the expansions I could live with, but 9.5 for just released NWN? Cmon.
No One Lives Forever 2: Received a 9.5 and yet the reviewer states that they have not played the multiplayer portion of the game.
Halo: Received a 9.25. An excellent game, yes, but would it have received a full 10 if coop had been included? What about if had bot support? I'm sorry, but 9.25 is just a little too high.

And these are just the ridiculously high-rated games. Look how many games receive 7's and 8's by glancing over problems.
You guys just have a problem with overhyping games. Even if you enjoy a game very much, you still, as reviewer, are obligated to look in detail at problems inside the game.

If you want to see an objective review, look at the Nanosaur 2: Hatchling review. The reviewer is able to say that they enjoy the game but still admit the downsides and not give it a high 8 or 9 rating.

Don't think I'm just saying this because some of your reviews are wacky hyped and totally biased, there are other reasons too that you know about.

#27 Gafgarion

Gafgarion

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1418 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 06:24 PM

He's obviously not visiting the same IMG I am :P Although one review now and then tends to be biased but that deffinetly doesn't bring down the experience that is IMG. As for the forums I think Gafgarion has been one of the biggest factors in their demise (if you could call them that, at least if you know which topics to read you can stay clear of the 10 year olds who seem to hate grammar and spelling and anyone with a different opinion than them). In the posts I have read from Gafgarion he has mostly been speaking down on other people, sometime frankly put dissing them, their choice in games or them supporting a said game company (Blizzard, seriously for some time he replied to all Blizzard topics that they sucked...). I for one am glad you chose to keep your distance Gafgarion and hope it don't have to read your mean hearted forum posts again.

I apologize for providing a counter-point to people's often overhyped views. I'm sorry if you can't handle that.

I also apologize for being a skeptical consumer.

I apologize for wanting to have a forum with coherent, readable sentances.

To sum it up, I apologize for being "mean hearted" by providing counter-points to reviews and desiring readable posts that don't contain forum abuse. I was under the incorrect impression that other people like debate and can handle criticism.

#28 Auron

Auron

Billowing Smokestack of BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 06:30 PM

Neverwinter Nights: Received a 9.5 before the expansions. Never mentions the lack of editor, nor the how bad the default campaign. 9.5 with NeverEdit and the expansions I could live with, but 9.5 for just released NWN? Cmon.
No One Lives Forever 2: Received a 9.5 and yet the reviewer states that they have not played the multiplayer portion of the game.
Halo: Received a 9.25. An excellent game, yes, but would it have received a full 10 if coop had been included? What about if had bot support? I'm sorry, but 9.25 is just a little too high.

Neverwinter Nights-Why would the Toolset have anything to do with the review if its not there? Its not part of the game to begin with.

NOLF2- Obviously the Reviewer is only reviewing the single player portion, those why he says he didn't play the MP.

Halo- This is YOUR opinion. Not everyone thinks these features are high priority, and reviews of PC Halo will likely show similar scores.

And anyway, why don't you apply to be a writer and start writing reviews yourself?

#29 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 06:30 PM

fun fun fun for gary! ;)

Holy cow, my head is spinning!  This will be interesting to see how all of this shakes down.  I suppose I'll find myself moving topics to the proper forums a lot, but I going to wait on that until I get my bearings in the new digs.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#30 Tuncer (IMG)

Tuncer (IMG)

Pimpbot 5000

• Admin
  • 923 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 06:33 PM

As long as someone provides constructive criticism, I'm all for it. I've read over your comments and will be directing them towards the writers. You do make some good points.

IMG is far from perfect and our goal is to try to provide a good experience for everyone. If people feel this way about things, we want to know about it.
Tuncer
Inside Mac Games

Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/tuncerdeniz

#31 Gafgarion

Gafgarion

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1418 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 06:40 PM

Neverwinter Nights-Why would the Toolset have anything to do with the review if its not there? Its not part of the game to begin with.
Because the toolset was advertised as an integral part of the PC game and, as Macs are the computer of choice for many creative professions, tools would be a boon to a game who's main selling-point is user created content.

NOLF2- Obviously the Reviewer is only reviewing the single player portion, those why he says he didn't play the MP.

The point still stands, that review was too generous.

Halo- This is YOUR opinion. Not everyone thinks these features are high priority, and reviews of PC Halo will likely show similar scores.
I'm not accusing IMG of being the only gaming news site that overhypes games. In fact, compared to some PC gaming sites, IMG underhypes games... I bet everyone knows what PC gaming website I'm thinking of.
With regards to coop, I cannot think of an XBox user that didnt purchase Halo primarily for coop. Coop was the defining feature of the game (and almost always has been for Bungie games) and was one of the main things that set Halo apart from other FPSs.

And anyway, why don't you apply to be a writer and start writing reviews yourself?

Cmon, this is like saying "If you don't like a game, why don't you make a better one?". I have no professional journalistic background, so I do not consider myself qualified enough to be writing consistant journalistic reviews. I've taken some classes in journalism, yes, but I don't think that I have the background to write for a well-respected publication.
On a related note, since you're a Mac user (and thus are dissatisfied with Windows, correct?), why don't you apply at Microsoft so you can make their OS better? Of course that makes no sense, because you can just choose to use a competing OS (heh competition against Microsoft...).
I'm under no obligation to start writing reviews, just like you're under no obligation to start writing code for Microsoft.

As long as someone provides constructive criticism, I'm all for it. I've read over your comments and will be directing them towards the writers. You do make some good points.

IMG is far from perfect and our goal is to try to provide a good experience for everyone. If people feel this way about things, we want to know about it.

Indeed, my criticism should probably be directed toward individual writers. However, I felt that this was pertinent because of, in my opinion, a trend in reviews.

I am sorry if I was a bit harsh, but I'm naturally skeptical of anything that costs money. Perhaps I am being too critical from a consumer's point of view.

#32 Prometheus

Prometheus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 06:44 PM

Hey TUNCER or somebody else...
Do any of you know IMG chaged the forums like what time?
Cuz I got on at like 11:20 and it appeared that I was the first to see it.

Just Curious
:~1
I <3 RJ

#33 Noema

Noema

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 06:44 PM

I do think that the General Forum is too big, so some reorder is in order.

I like the Shooter Forum, because its a popular enough genre to deserve it. And frankly, this is probably as far as you need to go with additional forums to help sort things out a bit.

But I do like the Shareware forum because it might help to highlight some of the many games they are producing.

I know many here like to discuss the merits of various companies, but I don't as much. So I also like seeing that content weeded out into its own area. But maybe it could all go into one forum, rather than a handful of specific ones.

The Troubleshooting Forum is thorny because troubleshooting stuff pops up in the other forums all the time, so I can see where you might just throw up your hands and say 'fuggetaboutit.'

But, on the other hand, I think that getting help with gaming problems is a great part of the forum and having a clear place to go to get help is important. Is it just not worth the effort to move those posts into Troubleshooting?

#34 Tycho Celchu

Tycho Celchu

Godlike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2470 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 07:12 PM

Hey TUNCER or somebody else...
Do any of you know IMG chaged the forums like what time?
Cuz I got on at like 11:20 and it appeared that I was the first to see it.

Just Curious
:~1

Does it look like anyone cares? I don't think it really matters. If it makes any difference, Tuncer (or whoever modified the forum) saw it first ;)
"To be great is to be misunderstood" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

#35 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 08 December 2004 - 07:42 PM

The forum expansion has potential.  I like the idea of offering forums for companies.  I've a few questions to ask there myself.  ;-)
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#36 landru

landru

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 07:52 PM

OK, I've found my jaw again, so here goes (note the following are only suggestions; I'm trying to be helpful, not harsh, excuse me if I am).

The way I see it, General was overcrowded... so I suppose some new forums are called for. I didn't see too many other problems with the rest of the old structure (except Off-Topic, but that's a given). So OK, some changes were warranted.

Yes, Shooters maybe get enough traffic to warrant their own forum. I'm far less sure about Shareware... I would maybe merge the two new ones and call it Shooters & Shareware (makes as much sense as RPG & Strategy... and even has alliteration). RPG & Strategy seems to have enough legs to keep.

Action & Arcade; Racing & Sports: I don't think there's enough traffic to warrant a whole forum (especially the second one). Hardware can stay, as can Buy & Sell, as their purpose in life is clear-cut and we don't need the traffic in General.

I don't see the point of "Apple Software: Gaming in Apple's Mac OS X". What games does Apple make? Or is the implication that the other forums are for gaming on other platforms? You need to clarify what this forum is for, and how it's differentiated from General (and all the other forums). If its intended purpose is to discuss OS issues and other Apple apps like iTunes and such, I suggest it be renamed appropriately and moved under the Companies category.

Locking the Tech Support forum suggests that you want us to discuss troubleshooting in the other forums. I don't like this. The main reason is that it'll drive up traffic in General which is already overcrowded (which as far as I can see is the main rationale for creating the new forums). It'll also make it less clear where to find troubleshooting info. With the forum available it's easier on the users and on mods: if it has to do with a problem running a game, into Troubleshooting it goes. It's one-stop-shopping.

Aspyr, Feral and MacSoft: no, no and no. Unless they're paying IMG for it (and even then, is it really worth it?). There's just not enough traffic discussing the actual companies themselves, and as far as discussing games go, that's what the other forums should be for. One big forum for discussing gaming companies themselves, fine.

IMG Feedback: yes, definitely. MGF Feedback: well, it's IMG's sister site, so I can see the rationale behind it, but do you really think it's going to get the traffic to warrant it? I guess time will tell on this one.

Off-Topic: this has always sucked, almost by definition. It currently sucks more than usual due to a few users with less Clue than usual. Not much can be done about it, either they'll screw up enough and get banned or they'll gain some Clue. I'd make the Ban User button a bit bigger to increase the chances of it being clicked by the mods. ;)

In conclusion, yeah a few changes were called for, but I think the current structure's too drastically different and not efficiently structured. I hope this gets changed sooner than later, as I prefer the old flawed system to the new flawed system. Also, for future reference, a hint that this was coming down the pipe would also have been appreciated... people can adjust to change better when it doesn't suddenly hit them in the forehead like a caseless round.

#37 G4Jedi

G4Jedi

American Idiot

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1621 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 08:02 PM

Too many forums. I liked the former simplicity that mimics the nature of Macs. I need a smiley expressing distaste and disgust, but sadly the best I can conjure is this...  ):-p

Mods, good luck wading through all this...

#38 Tycho Celchu

Tycho Celchu

Godlike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2470 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 08:05 PM

[quote]The way I see it, General was overcrowded... so I suppose some new forums are called for. [/quote]Thats a very good point. I remember coming in here after school and having topics into page 2, which is uncalled for.

[quote]Yes, Shooters maybe get enough traffic to warrant their own forum. I'm far less sure about Shareware... I would maybe merge the two new ones and call it Shooters & Shareware (makes as much sense as RPG & Strategy... and even has alliteration). RPG & Strategy seems to have enough legs to keep.[/quote]
This seems confusing to me. RPG and Strategy take a type of gamer to like, yet Shooter and Shareware are totally different. There could be an RPG Shareware game question. Now where do you put that :p To me, the shareware part should be deleted.

[quote]I don't see the point of "Apple Software: Gaming in Apple's Mac OS X". What games does Apple make? Or is the implication that the other forums are for gaming on other platforms? You need to clarify what this forum is for, and how it's differentiated from General (and all the other forums). If its intended purpose is to discuss OS issues and other Apple apps like iTunes and such, I suggest it be renamed appropriately and moved under the Companies category.[/quote]I vote for killing shareware, Sports/Racing, and make Apple Software: Gaming blah blah blah an "Other", anything that doesn't relate to the categories mentioned or hardware. It would be good, because in there you could discuss those other genres, and OpenGL issues not pertaining to hardware and stuff like that.

[quote]Locking the Tech Support forum suggests that you want us to discuss troubleshooting in the other forums I'm not sure I like this.[/quote]
To me, Tech Support forum was fine the way it was. The genre forums should be used to talk about games in that genre, not technical problems with it.

[quote]Aspyr, Feral and MacSoft: no, no and no. Unless they're paying IMG for it (and even then, is it really worth it?). There's just not enough traffic discussing the actual companies themselves, and as far as discussing games go, that's what the other forums should be for. One big forum for discussing gaming companies themselves, fine.[/quote]I agree.

[quote]IMG Feedback: yes, definitely. MGF Feedback: well, it's IMG's sister site, so I can see the rationale behind it, but do you really think it's going to get the traffic to warrant it? I guess time will tell on this one.[quote]
Rename it "IMG and MGF Feedback".

[quote]Off-Topic: this has always sucked, almost by definition. It currently sucks more than usual due to a few users with less Clue than usual. Not much can be done about it, either they'll screw up enough and get banned or they'll gain some Clue. I'd make the Ban User button a bit bigger to increase the chances of it being clicked by the mods. ;)[/quote]
A necesarry evil. The one part in the forum where there can be stuff not pertaining to games, and if you don't like what goes on in there, you don't have to go. Some people do like it, and do want to post stuff not about games, so it is best to stay.
"To be great is to be misunderstood" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

#39 Drinniol

Drinniol

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1153 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 08:26 PM

Well, I can't really add too much to what been said, but I'm going to try anyways. HAH. First of all, too many forums. Gone is the ease of having two tabs open - one for the General Forum, one for OT. Then it was easy to see what topics I wanted to read, and just open them in tabs. Quick, simple, easy, gone.

Again, like has been said, most of these forums will get pretty much zero traffic. I'm willing to bet that only one or two additional forums were really needed, a general company one, and perhaps the FPS one, especially seeing as most of the posts in General are concerned with CoD/Halo etc. The others, well, overkill. Huge overkill.

Also, bring back the troubleshooting forum. That way, people looking to help can go there and see the problems, instead of having to hunt them down.
"If a bunch of actual adults suddenly found themselves trapped in high school, the first thing they'd do is form a union and renegotiate all the rules with the administration." Paul Walker

#40 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 08 December 2004 - 08:31 PM

For those of you that can't see the logical connection between RPS & Strategy, think some more ;)

Many computer RPGs let you manage a smaller team which makes the battle into something more strategic, and lately many strategy games has taken on an RPGish aspect. Then there are games that has both types of game, and some that are hard to define.

How would you define Freedom Force and the upcoming KnightShift for example? How about the Orc campaign in WC3: The Frozen Throne?

I have since long bunched my RPG and strategy games together, not only because they're my two favourite genres, but because they start to borrow more and more from each other.

There, enough off topic. I apologize for that, but I had to comment on that remark.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***