High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 December 2004 - 12:40 PM

It feels like I left on time...

9 new forums is insane. If somebody have problems with and Aspyr shooter... where should he post it? Troubleshooting, Aspyr or Shooters? or OS X or  general maybe?

I like the genre-forums, but genre forums + companies + general + OS X + troubleshooting? That's overkill.

This will be a major pain to keep track of.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#3 landru

landru

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 12:44 PM

I'm speechless, so I'm going to let elocution expert William Shatner say it for me. [caution: loud link!]

#4 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 12:52 PM

Didn't we try this before and we ended up moving away from multiple genre related forums due to lack of activity in some?  Plus, there could be confusion as to where to post.  So, you want to talk about a piece of shareware.  Does the post go in Shareware?  If it's a racing game, does it go in Shareware, or the Sports/Racing forum?  If it's an Ambrosia game would that count as "Other Companies?"

Are the publish specific forums only if you want to discuss the game in relation to the publisher?
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#5 loneAzdgari

loneAzdgari

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 1278 posts
  • Location:That layer of crap on the floor after a house party

Posted 08 December 2004 - 12:55 PM

fun fun fun for gary! ;)

#6 Auron

Auron

Billowing Smokestack of BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 01:00 PM

E-gads! some of these forums need to be axed (Mac OSX and Troubleshooting?). Way too many.....

#7 Tuncer (IMG)

Tuncer (IMG)

Pimpbot 5000

• Admin
  • 923 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 01:07 PM

Dudes, chill out :) Forums will be removed if necessary. This is more of an experiment and I'm sure some changes will need to be made.
Tuncer
Inside Mac Games

Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/tuncerdeniz

#8 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 01:22 PM

Excellent selection of new forums - Blizzard deserves their own forum though.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#9 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 02:03 PM

No doubt it will take some getting used to, but in the end, the forum expansion is a good move.  Adjustments and edits will be made in the future where necessary, and it's nice to have dedicated forums for arcade and racing/sports games as those topics sometimes had a tendency to get lost in the "General" forum.

#10 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 02:09 PM

Yes, I'm also in favor of a more in-depth forum. To me something like the shareware forum was long overdo. Well, we'll see how it works out, but I think it's a step towards the right direction.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#11 cactusjoe

cactusjoe

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 02:10 PM

Well, I think the 'Troubleshooting' forum should be unlocked and reinstated. I mean, when I had a problem that's where I used to go first and in 95% of all cases not even need to do a search, especially it if was a recently released game since the topic was near the top/first couple of pages.

#12 Fliedermaus

Fliedermaus

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 02:14 PM

Wow.  I'm out of it for a little bit, and everyone's gets delusions of grandeur!   Just kidding.  It's a big change, though, that's for sure.

I have mixed feelings.  On the one hand, I kind of like multiple forums, because it means things stay on the front page long enough, and, as I only visit occasionally these days, it gives me more of a chance to see topics (I never click through to see stuff on the 2nd+ pages).

On the other hand, Whaleman's point about where to post an ambiguous topic is a good one, because if no one checks on a particular forum (I'm looking at YOU, sports game forum), people will feel like their post is being neglected.

I guess I'll just need to see how the activity in the various forums shakes out, but I'm optimistic!  I like the change, at least on first blush.  It's new, it's different, it's exciting.

Edit: That said, if we are going to add a bunch of new forums, why keep RPG and strategy together?  I mean, at least racing is a type of sport, so that joint forum makes sense (and if we had a section solely devoted to sports, it would contain nothing but posts about how we don't have Madden 2004 on the Mac).  But RPG and strategy?  Am I the only one who feels like that's sort of Fried Shrimp and Ice Cream?  Sure, people like both of them... but you almost never eat them together.  (Analogy-making ability: weak, so weak).

#13 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 03:12 PM

This simply doesn't make sense.  This is massive overkill, and I'm definitely going to be visiting the forums less now.  Who on Earth wants to wade through a bunch of topics that overlap and criss-cross like mad?  Sounds like somebody's got too much time on his hands . . .
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#14 Syzygy

Syzygy

Notorious

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 03:15 PM

Hey Tuncer... where do flight simulator posts go?

:) :)
Tim Morgan, Flight Sim Guru

#15 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 03:22 PM

If Troubleshooting is going to be dumped, what about moving the existing threads to the appropriate new group.  There's a lot of information in Troubleshooting already.
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#16 Joshua

Joshua

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 04:05 PM

Calm down people. :-) Why visit the forums less just because there are more categories? Especially if a couple get axed after a few weeks of experimentation, we're all the wiser. Hasn't anyone ever heard of the expression "growing pains"? Even though I have my disagreements with a couple of the categories, I like the direction IMG is trying to take it.. A lot of the stuff I don't care about will now be filtered out by going into categories that I have no interest in reading. Before, I had to filter through the posts line by line, searching for the ones I cared about.

Just a little fine tuning, ladies and gentlemen, and the forums should be humming pretty good..

Josh
QuickSilver G4/1.4GHz - GF4Ti - 1.12GB RAM - OS X 10.3.9
Dell P4/1.4GHz - GF4Ti - 512MB RAM - Windows XP SP2

#17 cactusjoe

cactusjoe

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 04:41 PM

How about a poll about what topics should stay and which should go and which one should be reinstated? Or better yet a ranking poll/question of what the users find useful.

#18 Greg Grant

Greg Grant

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2526 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 04:46 PM

No offense but our community really isn't big enough to warrent 9 new forum catagories. Its not that I dislike more areas but when there's not enough to populate them. Its just silly and a lot more effort to view the few new posts.
the IMG audio guy...

#19 cartooncrackpot

cartooncrackpot

LASMO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2407 posts
  • Location:Planet Blortch, home of the slaughtering rat people.

Posted 08 December 2004 - 04:47 PM

All this does is add to the scrolling it requires for me to get to OT. Less is more, kids.
The official #IMG comic! Last update: 2004/9/5

#20 Tycho Celchu

Tycho Celchu

Godlike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2470 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 04:48 PM

I think the stupidity has finally hit their brains. This will only lead to more confusion when new members try to post something. It was complicated enough as it was. Johan should feel glad he left ;)
"To be great is to be misunderstood" - Ralph Waldo Emerson