37 replies to this topic

#1 NeverFade

NeverFade

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 11:57 PM

Wow.  I bought this game today at the Apple Store today, and what fun!  It's seriously a very fun game.  And, very inexpensive!  I can't believe taht a new title is $19.99!  I wish all great games cost that much!  

Also, it told me about GameRanger, which I am sure most of you know about.  I however, did not.  So, I downloaded this, and thought that was really cool.  However, no one was playing MTX, so I could not play with anyone, but it was interesting.  What I thought was strange about game ranger, was that there were servers with Unreal Tournament 2004 there.  ???  Why would people choose to connect this way as opposed to natively within UT itself?!  Wierd.  

Anyways, wanted to say that it is definitly worth th $19.99.

#2 Tycho Celchu

Tycho Celchu

Godlike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2470 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 03:08 AM

What I thought was strange about game ranger, was that there were servers with Unreal Tournament 2004 there.  ???  Why would people choose to connect this way as opposed to natively within UT itself?!

A couple of reasons really. One would be to play with Mac only players, and when it views the master server list, you can easily communicate with friends you want to play with. When you use the in game server browser, you have to go into the options to switch in and out of full screen to discuss the server choice with friends, so this gives a much better area to poke around at the different servers.
"To be great is to be misunderstood" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

#3 Noema

Noema

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 09:48 AM

I've been looking forward to this game coming out. I've been playing the demo, and it runs smoothly, but I won't buy it until I manage to finish better than dead last.

I like racing games, but I wish I could do better playing them. Any general tips to help me out with this game would be great.

For example, how do I get good air on the jumps? I've tried using the shock compression toggle but I can't seem to get the timing right.

#4 NeverFade

NeverFade

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 12:06 PM

Yeah - you need to press the SPACE BAR and not the down arrow button, and release when at the peak of the jump.  This equals Big Air!

#5 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 10:00 AM

Yeah - you need to press the SPACE BAR and not the down arrow button, and release when at the peak of the jump.  This equals Big Air!

Actually, you can compress the shocks with either one.  Down or Space will activate compression (watch the guage fill up on the lower right part of the screen), and personally, the space bar works a bit easier on some of the busier motocross tracks!

#6 Noema

Noema

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 03:01 PM

Thanks NeverFade, with your help I've made it up to sixth place! Now I just need to slow down going into the s-curves a bit and I'll be doing all right.

A good game and a great value, can't wait to to buy it so I can turn off the music permanently! :)

#7 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 03:14 PM

Thanks NeverFade, with your help I've made it up to sixth place! Now I just need to slow down going into the s-curves a bit and I'll be doing all right.

A good game and a great value, can't wait to to buy it so I can turn off the music permanently! :)

Ah, something I learned last night while playing online...use the clutch when powering through those turns!  It helps to maintain your speed while still allowing you control of your bike!  

Also, I've noticed that the CPU riders tend to really flake out on those series of ridged/potholed areas of a course (the manual calls these areas "whoops" holes).  Press and hold the down arrow before going over these rough areas and you'll clear them quickly as opposed to going over them level which will cost you valuable time.  You'll often pass 2 or 3 CPU riders since they seem to lose lots of speed on these track areas!

#8 Noema

Noema

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 03:30 PM

Nice tip MacProject, I'll work on that. I hate taking my finger off the throttle. :)

#9 Hypnosis

Hypnosis

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 12:46 PM

This game crashes like crazy!! i can't get through an event without it quitting!!

#10 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 01:17 PM

This game crashes like crazy!! i can't get through an event without it quitting!!

That's definitely odd.  I've yet to experience a crash or freeze with MTX.

What sort of Mac are you running it on?

#11 Hypnosis

Hypnosis

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 01:25 PM

i'm running it on a dual 1 ghz G4 with 1.5 gigs of rams. nividia gforce4 64mb. I also have a revolution 7.1 audio card, but it also crashes on my ibook.

#12 |420| Harm

|420| Harm

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 01:48 PM

G5 9800 10.3.6

Game crashes when i use FSAA and AA graphic settings at 1600 x 1200 at respawn. 1280 x 960 works fine.

Overall a stable and very fun game.

#13 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 01:52 PM

G5 9800 10.3.6

Game crashes when i use FSAA and AA graphic settings at 1600 x 1200 at respawn. 1280 x 960 works fine.  

Overall a stable and very fun game.

Quick question, when you respawn, do you get a weird shimmering/daze effect on your screen?

#14 |420| Harm

|420| Harm

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 01:57 PM

Yup. It lags the cpu too for about 2 seconds.

#15 NeverFade

NeverFade

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 02:16 PM

Quick question, when you respawn, do you get a weird shimmering/daze effect on your screen?

This is giving you a couple of seconds to be invunerable, so you don't crash again right away.  Most games have this sort of feature.

#16 mangoman

mangoman

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 11:16 AM

Great advice all around in this thread. Thanks, guys!

#17 mangoman

mangoman

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 08:19 PM

mangoman, on December 19th 2004, 01:16 PM, said:

View Post

And to return some great advice (I hope): If you're playing Mototrax, you REALLY need to use the space bar to get the most air over jumps. Changed the whole game for me.

#18 Aleksi

Aleksi

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 02:41 AM

Noema, on November 30th 2004, 02:30 PM, said:

Nice tip MacProject, I'll work on that. I hate taking my finger off the throttle. :)

View Post

Yes, i read most dual G4's where experiencing this problem. I have it as well. Aspyr's support has been just useless...
I heard it was because of the 2 processor chips of these computers. If you use CHUD after installing the developer tools you can turn off one processor and the game should run fine. I still haven't tried yet.

#19 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 January 2005 - 10:41 AM

Gotta Frisbee this one into the Racing forum.  Hold on to your handlebars!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#20 Prometheus

Prometheus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 11:11 PM

mangoman, on January 4th 2005, 07:19 PM, said:

mangoman, on December 19th 2004, 01:16 PM, said:

View Post

And to return some great advice (I hope): If you're playing Mototrax, you REALLY need to use the space bar to get the most air over jumps. Changed the whole game for me.

View Post

Thanks man!
I did not realize that... :o  :D
I <3 RJ