105 replies to this topic

#21 Tuncer (IMG)

Tuncer (IMG)

Pimpbot 5000

• Admin
  • 923 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 28 November 2004 - 05:56 PM

It hasn't shipped yet. Because of the holidays and what not, Aspyr's duplicators are a bit behind. It should be in mid next week.
Tuncer
Inside Mac Games

Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/tuncerdeniz

#22 jakebot11

jakebot11

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 06:13 PM

It hasn't shipped yet. Because of the holidays and what not, Aspyr's duplicators are a bit behind. It should be in mid next week.
OK, 'whew'! I had a horrible feeling that this game would be delayed until after the holidays... that was close. But thanks for the update!

#23 eschatz

eschatz

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 08:00 PM

Yeah I was beginning to feel like a bit of a dork. I have been to the apple store and comp usa twice in the past week checking for it.
Edward

#24 Joshua

Joshua

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 12:54 PM

Yeah I was beginning to feel like a bit of a dork. I have been to the apple store and comp usa twice in the past week checking for it.
Lol, yeah, me too. I bought it for my PC last week and kept on checking in for the Mac version because I had some friends over to play it on Saturday night. Unfortunately, we had to play the original since I needed UO for the Mac to facilitate all of us playing.

Now that I'm getting used to UO, I so badly miss the sprinting and the new semi-auto rifles when I go back to the original! The original levels have new life with the expansion pack.  :-D

Josh
QuickSilver G4/1.4GHz - GF4Ti - 1.12GB RAM - OS X 10.3.9
Dell P4/1.4GHz - GF4Ti - 512MB RAM - Windows XP SP2

#25 blackphoenix

blackphoenix

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 01:05 PM

So how does this work? Do you only get the new crap on the new levels? How many new levels? Interspersed or at the end?

#26 Joshua

Joshua

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 01:11 PM

So how does this work? Do you only get the new crap on the new levels? How many new levels? Interspersed or at the end?
Well, I'm talking MP. The single player stuff is all new.

All the new features of gameplay are in the original MP levels, but no new level features were added to the original levels. For instance, sprinting, new weapons, and nade baking are gameplay features (and are thus an element of the original levels in the expansion pack), but placement of usable turrets, cannons, or vehicles is a level feature, and thus not present in the original levels, only in the new levels.

Josh

#27 Joshua

Joshua

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 02:04 PM

And there are 13 new SP levels and 11 new MP levels.

Call of Duty: United Offensive

Josh

#28 WhiteSavage

WhiteSavage

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 02:26 PM

Sheesh. I can't wait.

#29 jakebot11

jakebot11

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 03:30 PM

So when you install the expansion pack, will you be able to run only the new SP and MP levels off of the United Offensive disc, or can the disc also allow you to play the old stuff, too?

I guess my main question is, are the original game and the expansion pack in separate applications, like Medal of Honor and its Spearhead?

It's just that I have been having problems with my COD disc lately, and I am hoping this new pack will keep me from having to use it ever again.

#30 Joshua

Joshua

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 03:43 PM

So when you install the expansion pack, will you be able to run only the new SP and MP levels off of the United Offensive disc, or can the disc also allow you to play the old stuff, too?

I guess my main question is, are the original game and the expansion pack in separate applications, like Medal of Honor and its Spearhead?

It's just that I have been having problems with my COD disc lately, and I am hoping this new pack will keep me from having to use it ever again.
The process is similar to Medal of Honor with its expansion packs (like Spearhead). At least on the PC, United Offensive is a whole new application that runs on its own, including on a new CD Key. I'm sure it requires an operating installation of the original CoD to install, but I honestly didn't try.

...But CoD doesn't require you to have the CD inserted to play. And UO on the PC doesn't either, so I'm sure UO for the Mac will follow suit. So you won't need any disc to play, but you should need them for installation obviously. So if you're having disc troubles, it may be a concern for you. Nice thing is, you can borrow anybody's disc to install the original CoD if your disc is messed up, since you do have your own legal copy of the game.

Josh

#31 jakebot11

jakebot11

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 04:49 PM

Thanks for the info, but I don't know any way I can play the original COD for Mac without the disc. I tried doing it once, but when I started up the SP application, it said, "Please insert the Call of Duty CD". So when I started up the MP application, it started, but right when the server was almost finished loading a map, an in-game error popped up, saying that invalid PK3 files were referenced, and that I was an unpure client.

If you have a solution on how to run it without the disc without the game accusing me of piracy (which is not the case at all), it would be VERY MUCH appreciated.

P.S. I have the original game folder already installed, so would it be possible to run the game without even gathering any more data from the disc? My disc is on the verge of not running at all now.

Thanks

#32 Joshua

Joshua

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 05:18 PM

Thanks for the info, but I don't know any way I can play the original COD for Mac without the disc. I tried doing it once, but when I started up the SP application, it said, "Please insert the Call of Duty CD".
Oy, once again the fact that I don't play SP becomes evident. The game must apparently require the disc to play SP mode.

So when I started up the MP application, it started, but right when the server was almost finished loading a map, an in-game error popped up, saying that invalid PK3 files were referenced, and that I was an unpure client.
This, however, is not related to the fact that you had no disc present. For some reason, this happens to me from time to time, whereas it's never happened to any of my friends on PC boxes. I think it's just a glitch with PunkBuster getting confused at Mac boxes. But you ought to try it again.. You don't need the disc to play MP. Now, if it happens consistently for you, perhaps some of your game files have been corrupted.

Oh, and one more thing, make sure you're running the game on a user account that has FULL access to the game directory, preferably an administrator account. That also could be the cause of the problem.

If you have a solution on how to run it without the disc without the game accusing me of piracy (which is not the case at all), it would be VERY MUCH appreciated.
Try what I just suggested for MP. For SP, I think you're screwed..

would it be possible to run the game without even gathering any more data from the disc?
Have you tried running the game from a disc image? I mean, it's a bit late now since the disc is so damaged, but if you could get a good disc image. I'll try that tonight. And if that doesn't work, I suggest borrowing a friend's copy of the game and making a copy of the disc. I seriously do. I'm sure SOMEONE will take offense at that, but IMHO that is NOT PIRATING. You OWN the game, you have your own CD Key. Your media was damaged. It would be no different than if you made a backup copy before your disc was damaged and then played off the backup copy, and when the backup copy died, you made another backup copy (which, BTW, I whole-heartedly recommend doing, to prevent just such a problem. Keep those originals in a safe place!).

Josh

#33 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 06:13 PM

Disc Images don't work for CoD.  But, you could make a Disc Image, and burn it to a fresh DVD.

....there is nothing illegal in backing up your own purchases.

Yes, CoD SP requires the DVD.

The invalid PK3s referenced thing may be because you were trying to join a mod server, or a server with custom maps.  Or, you were trying to join a pure server with extra PK3s in your Main folder.

Also, just turn off the Auto Download option... I've found that it only causes problems.
-iMac

(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)
Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others

Get Mac Game Mods: Macologist.org

#34 Joshua

Joshua

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 04:55 PM

Ok, once again the date when CoD: UO should be in stores has arrived, and once again I'm not seeing it. When I do a search for United Offensive on CompUSA's website, it doesn't even show up in their system for Mac, and their website shows product availability for local stores. What gives?? Has anyone snagged a Mac copy? Or is it delayed yet again??

Josh

#35 HansBlix

HansBlix

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 05:20 PM

I've called all the stores I can think of, nobody has it.

#36 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 06:05 PM

Ok, once again the date when CoD: UO should be in stores has arrived, and once again I'm not seeing it. When I do a search for United Offensive on CompUSA's website, it doesn't even show up in their system for Mac, and their website shows product availability for local stores. What gives?? Has anyone snagged a Mac copy? Or is it delayed yet again??
Josh

It definitely shipped on Monday, we received boxes of the game from the distribution house ourselves at Aspyr on Tuesday.  We can't control how quickly stores get it on their shelves from the warehouse, but it should be there today or tomorrow.

Glenda
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#37 J@ffa

J@ffa

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 12:36 PM

Josh

It definitely shipped on Monday, we received boxes of the game from the distribution house ourselves at Aspyr on Tuesday.  We can't control how quickly stores get it on their shelves from the warehouse, but it should be there today or tomorrow.

Glenda

Wahoo!

#38 eschatz

eschatz

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 07:19 PM

Checked today at CompUSA. Didn't see it. Oh well, I'll try Monday.
Edward

#39 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 December 2004 - 11:56 AM

Club Mac said they had it in stock and they are offering free UPS ground shipping so I ordered it from them.  Heck, I'm giving it to my wife to wrap and put under the Christmas tree for me so I'm in no rush.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#40 Joshua

Joshua

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 10:38 PM

Club Mac said they had it in stock and they are offering free UPS ground shipping so I ordered it from them.  Heck, I'm giving it to my wife to wrap and put under the Christmas tree for me so I'm in no rush.
Lol, I can't wait that long. I may just buy it from Club Mac. I can't stand walking into my local CompUSA store anyway, because all the employees have such a bad attitude about Macs. It's disgusting.

Josh