105 replies to this topic

#1 Joshua

Joshua

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 03:39 PM

So an IMG article said United Offensive was going to be on store shelves today. I checked my local CompUSA, and as usual, they don't have it on the day they're supposed to get it. Anybody else get their hands on it yet?

Josh
QuickSilver G4/1.4GHz - GF4Ti - 1.12GB RAM - OS X 10.3.9
Dell P4/1.4GHz - GF4Ti - 512MB RAM - Windows XP SP2

#2 WhiteSavage

WhiteSavage

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 04:13 PM

Not me :( ...not yet

#3 Joshua

Joshua

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 04:34 PM

Just yesterday, a friend of mine kind of gave me a "tour" of the expansion pack's new features on his PC. It's very exciting. It combines all the combat realism I was looking for in Halo (most notably, extensive use of vehicles) in true CoD beauty and fluidity. Plus, the new sprinting feature alone is a godsend.

I'm going to try to snag a PC version of the expansion pack off eBay for hopefully around $20, cuz one of my friends plays on one of my spare PCs, and I'm hoping for us to play it this weekend (but they don't know that, cuz I forgot to mention to them that the Mac version came out this week).  :-D

Josh

#4 Blava_merc

Blava_merc

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 08:45 PM

I got the expansion yesterday and I am loving it, I recommend anyone that has CoD to buy it, it's worth it.

#5 stevep63

stevep63

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 09:54 PM

Does the multiplayer game have vehicles too? Or are the vehicles only for single player? If the MP game does have vehicles, what can you drive/fly?

-Steve J

#6 Joshua

Joshua

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 10:28 AM

Does the multiplayer game have vehicles too? Or are the vehicles only for single player? If the MP game does have vehicles, what can you drive/fly?
I don't think that there are any vehicles you can fly in MP, but there are numerous land vehicles: Various tanks (they differ in maneuverability, power, and armor) and jeeps. Additionally, there are cannons that you can get on and use. All the new levels have these elements and are built around them, so they become an important part of gameplay. The original CoD levels don't have any vehicles added, and any cannons that were in the original levels (think Carentan or Harbor, for instance) cannot be used like they can in the new levels.

Josh

p.s. I only play the MP for CoD, so when I mentioned I was excited about being able to use vehicles, I meant for MP! Woohoo!!

#7 stevep63

stevep63

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 11:17 AM

Thanks for the reply! Now I'm DROOLING to get this expansion!!! So how do you kill someone inside a tank? Is there now bazookas you can use? Or do you simply kill tanks with grenades, a la Battlefield 1942?

-Steve

p.s. - too bad vehicles in FPS are really slow to catch on in MP games. To me, vehicles make it a totally different game and set it on a whole new level. And some games really don't make sense NOT to have it. For instance, my friend has HL2 on his PC, which is absolutely amazing and has two killer vehicles in the SP game. The HL2 MP game, Counterstrike, doesn't have squat for vehicles though. What's up with that?

#8 Joshua

Joshua

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 11:35 AM

So how do you kill someone inside a tank? Is there now bazookas you can use? Or do you simply kill tanks with grenades, a la Battlefield 1942?
Did you play Medal of Honor? Remember the rocket launcher you could choose as your weapon? Those are available to pick up, in addition to the rockets from the original game. Tanks are especially vulnerable from the back. Additionally, nades do work, but there are also satchel charges, which operate very similarly to nades but they're more powerful. Finally, there can be tank-to-tank combat.

The various methods, along with their varying levels of efficiency, make the gameplay very strategic in that sense. Someone who hops into a tank can't just go on a rampage, unless they're up against noobs who won't know to go snag a rocket launcher or get on a tank of their own. Especially the back of the tank being so weak, usually exploding with one hit, makes the tank a great balance of power and vulnerability.

Unfortunately, the vehicles aren't as awesome as in, say, Halo. In Halo, you could blow someone out of a vehicle without destroying it, because the vehicle would go flying or tip over. The vehicles aren't quite as realistic in CoD:UO, but fortunately it's not too noticeable, although the experience would be even more enhanced if they did have that level of realism.

Oh, while we're talking about stuff I love, I might add that the return of the smoke cans and cooked nades is awesome. I kicked butt with cooked nades in MOHAA, and I'm so glad it's back in CoD.

But back to the tanks.. There is a game type called "Base Assault" that is similar to Search & Destroy except that you have to "break into" the base first (by destroying it), then plant a bomb. Tanks can be critical here, because it takes quite a hammering to destroy the building before you can go in to plant the bomb.

I'm telling you, this game is NEAT. I can't wait to get it.

Josh

#9 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 05:54 PM

Vehicles in MP games absolutely ruin the gameplay.

Thanks to Halo, now all the kiddies think that driving around spamming vehicles is the best thing ever, well, it's not.

I'll buy UO for the SP, but you wont see me playing the vehicle-spam-filled-MP.
-iMac

(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)
Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others

Get Mac Game Mods: Macologist.org

#10 Sir Fartzalot

Sir Fartzalot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 06:11 PM

Vehicles in MP games absolutely ruin the gameplay.

Thanks to Halo, now all the kiddies think that driving around spamming vehicles is the best thing ever, well, it's not.

I'll buy UO for the SP, but you wont see me playing the vehicle-spam-filled-MP.

Vehicles are the greatest addition to FPSs in years, in my opinion. I swear, driving around around in Halo's Warthog with teammates in the passenger seat and the gun, running over suckers, is the most fun I've had since the original UT.

#11 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 November 2004 - 06:43 PM

Playing demolition derby in Halo 1 is a hoot, some of the most fun I've had playing Halo.  Get even one other guy and jump into hogs and try to ram each other.  So simple, yet intricately stupid, and fun as hell.  The more the merrier and the greater the air time.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#12 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 06:53 PM

My point exactly...

See, you guys are no longer playing, you are spamming the vehicles and ruining the gameplay.  CoD is a WWII game, it's NOT UT!

I'm pretty sure in WWII you didn't see jeeps zipping all over the place running people over....   :roll:
-iMac

Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others

#13 Sir Fartzalot

Sir Fartzalot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 07:10 PM

My point exactly...

See, you guys are no longer playing, you are spamming the vehicles and ruining the gameplay.  CoD is a WWII game, it's NOT UT!

I'm pretty sure in WWII you didn't see jeeps zipping all over the place running people over....   :roll:

Historical accuracy can be thrown to the wind if it ends up being fun, and having tank on tank battles sounds like a helluva good time to me.

#14 zulu5

zulu5

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 07:49 PM

My point exactly...

See, you guys are no longer playing, you are spamming the vehicles and ruining the gameplay.  CoD is a WWII game, it's NOT UT!

I'm pretty sure in WWII you didn't see jeeps zipping all over the place running people over....   :roll:

First of all this is a VIDEO GAME, not REAL life. Secondly, maybe you should try the game first before you knoock it down. I dont like the vehicles either, but I love shooting em up with the panzerfausts. MP on this game is fun, spammage occurs a lot less then you might expect.

Let me reiterate BF:1942 is a spamming game, not UO.

#15 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 November 2004 - 08:28 PM

You also didn't see people re-spawning out of thin air after they got killed either. ;-) Hey, it's a game - have fun.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#16 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 09:09 PM

You also didn't see people re-spawning out of thin air after they got killed either. ;-) Hey, it's a game - have fun.

Not exactly, but there were reinforcements joining in all the time, so that is essentially "respawning."

I know it's a game, but to me, to "have fun" in a WWII game is to play it with as much realism as possible.

I'm looking forward to the UO mods.  I may play the standard MP once or twice, but it's just not my thing.

And, to whoever said try it before I knock it, I have tried it on the PC.
-iMac

Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others

#17 Joe M.

Joe M.

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 10:15 PM

A couple questions:

How slow does the tank fire? And does it inflict ramped up damage as one would expect?

I can imagine a scenario where a team would assign players to cover a tanks rear while it goes rampaging about the map. That kind of strategy really appeals to me. Anything to  make teamwork more of an integral part of FPS MP is a plus IMO!

I'd just about convinced myself I'd bought my last WWII shooter in MoH:AA, but CoD and UO are now on my list. Will the Nazi madness ever end?

#18 Joshua

Joshua

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 09:58 AM

I know it's a game, but to me, to "have fun" in a WWII game is to play it with as much realism as possible.
iMac Man, I'm there with ya. One of my initial draws to CoD was how you have to play more like you would if you were really in a battle (especially in good rounds of S&D, where respawning isn't an element of the strategy), versus running around twitch-firing in UT. The realism carries over into the vehicles. The vehicles aren't sci-fi-ish like they are in Halo or UT (not to bash Halo's vehicles, cuz they're awesome). They are utilitarian in nature, and they have serious vulnerabilities. Thus, I feel that they maintain a good balance in the game. And frankly, vehicles are a part of realistic warfare. I feel it will be difficult for me to adjust to having vehicles in the game, but that is not a fault of the game. That is a fault in my skill and my personal adaptability.

And as for the games where you get numerous stupid people all driving around doing stupid stuff with vehicles.. Those were the same people that ran around endlessly spewing out voice commands and tk'ing people. If you're in a serious server, people will kick or ban people who play like that. But don't fault the feature because some people abuse it, ya'know?

Josh

#19 Joshua

Joshua

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 10:10 AM

How slow does the tank fire? And does it inflict ramped up damage as one would expect?
What do you mean by "ramped up damage"? The tank does have a slow fire rate, but not painfully slow; just slow enough to keep it from being abused. A few seconds. And various tanks have various power levels. In general, the more powerful the tank, the slower it's maneuverability. That gets me back on how I feel the vehicles in the game don't disrupt the balance of strategy.. They just alter it a little.

I can imagine a scenario where a team would assign players to cover a tanks rear while it goes rampaging about the map. That kind of strategy really appeals to me. Anything to  make teamwork more of an integral part of FPS MP is a plus IMO!
That is totally a possible scenario, although it certainly would be difficult, because another tank or soldier with a rocket could fire at the tank's back from a very long distance. It would be very challenging to defend, especially once a well-aimed rocket is incoming. :-D It's probably best for the tank driver to just stay aware of his surroundings. Don't just bust into the middle of a battle. Keep on the edge and do your damage. Otherwise, you'll get one shot off before you're blown up.

Oh, more things for iMac Man to consider. (a) Rockets and satchel charges are much more plentiful on levels with tanks. Coincidence? No. They're balancing out the playing field. (b) The original levels do not have vehicles added. So you can still do MP on all the orig levs and benefit from new features like (1) satchel charges, (2) sprinting, (3) new weapons, etc.

Josh

#20 Joshua

Joshua

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 05:05 PM

Ok, I suppose I should revise my question...

Has anyone got their hands on the Mac version of United Offensive? I still can't find it anywhere, which is bizarre. I'm wondering if it has been delayed?

Josh