141 replies to this topic

#41 Sizzle

Sizzle

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 02:09 PM

I believe the high cost of World of Warcraft or any MMORPG is justified by the amount of time you will spend with the game. I can't imagine anyone paying $15 a month to only play a couple hours.

I think someone on the World of Warcraft forums calculated the number of hours it would take a person to do every quest for every race and to master every proffesion. I think it came out to 314 Zillion hours. :)

I've loved playing the open beta. However, I'm not sure I am going to buy it.. because the game is crack. The first time I logged in I skipped lunch and played 7 hours straight. Till then I thought I didn't have an addictive personality. Last night I was dreaming about Teldrassil.

#42 Auron

Auron

Billowing Smokestack of BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 02:28 PM

I believe the high cost of World of Warcraft or any MMORPG is justified by the amount of time you will spend with the game. I can't imagine anyone paying $15 a month to only play a couple hours.
That's exactly the point of everyone complaining about the price!

#43 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 17 November 2004 - 02:48 PM

[edit]Whaleman: DAMN!!!! Those swedish taxes will get you everytime. I understand that the taxes are well spent and visible to the community, but to tax an online game service... wow. 22 bucks a month is too much and breaks my limit. To be confined to euro servers without being able to play with your friends will suck a bit. In your case, and context, I would also have a hard time justifying to myself the cost. If you could play on Western servers that'd be a boost in favor of the game. Maybe it has to do with lag, but it would be nice if you could server hop. [/edit]

Z.

Nah it's not lag, it's localized support and billing. GameMasters able to reply in french, german and spanish and so on (but nos swedish, so I gain nothing and lose all). I'm playing the US servers right now and it works like a dream... well, besides the general action lag from too many connected players... but that's another issue.

They have said that this might change later on... but then I still have the probable overpricing to wrestle with. But I will wait and see if Blizzard actually adapts to the low dollar value or just charges way too much like everybody else.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#44 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • 5632 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 02:59 PM

Whale, I hate to do this to you, but you a lot of your points about WoW are wrong. =

For instance, you can create groups as large as 40 people (raids) and the game is quest based, so completing quests will increase your levels MUCH faster than grinding it out with monsters. Also, when you get to level 60, there is a ton of raid content. When you're bored with that, go PvP.

I won't say anything about raiding since I have yet so participate in one, or even see one. So that's the MMO aspect of the game... one of the rarest things? The most common is parties of 5... or soloing. And what I said about level grinding, if you read it, is that the quests is just an excuse for it. The basic quests are in 95% of the cases built on the same formula. Kill this or that mano of this and that, or bring me this and that many of that, which you get from killing those. And once you done, it's just to repeat it, with another monster.

And as for PvP, it suffers about the same weakness that the rest of WoW, if you can't change the world, a lot of the reason dissapears. If you can't take over the barrens as alliance, why bother? If you remove the dynamics, shall you just keep on doing the same all over and over and over and over again?

I've played in the barrens a number of times, whith several changes to the world (when I recently entered Stonetalon I could not recognize it at all), but the base quests are still the same, so yo get to kill Serena Bloodfeather for 72nd time when you create a new character, even though the world is supposed to hang together with the one your previous character did it in?

I'm against the static world... It's ok to go and do these things over again in a normal RPG if you want to replay it, because once you've done it, you have changed the world. In WoW and most MMOs besides SB, you can sit down, have a break, and see 5 other guys kill the same parson you just killed. I've even killed the same character twice, since he managed to respawn before I had fraught off all other guys in the vicinity.

WoW is without the doubt the MMO I've liked the best so far... but it still holds too many of the flaws I think an MMO have, and in many cases, it does not use that it is an MMO at all.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#45 Zatoichi

Zatoichi

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 03:14 PM

A few things I guess.

I do agree, children should be outdoors being children. No child should be allowed to sit behind a computer for hours on end and not doing something valuable like learning social skills. Now, I know what you guys are thinking. "But you sit behind a computer for hours at a time ignoring the outside world. And yes, you would be correct. But.. I am an adult and had to go througgh learning social skills, making friends etc... in order to be a full functioning adult who by the time of reaching adulthood has had the basic training needed to survive in the real world. As such, I can also make the informed decision to forgoe social activities. Been there done that. I was never allowed to play games for more than 2 hours on any given day. I had to study, I played football, threw the shotput in track and had to work (as a teenager). These are things that are important. I am the Nintendo generation, but I had to pay my dues in learning how to live before I became an adult. That rants over... egad... people discipline it works.. not that time out crap.

I do see this game as being sort of a waste for those who wont/cant spend more than a few hours a week playing. Life does exist outside of video games and things like family, work, hobbies are more important than games. I just luck out in that I have no children, I am financially independant (no need for moms credit card), have weekends to myself and when things are slow freelance wise I have hours at night to play. I do tend to ignore the outside world and to my mind rightfully so. When most people cannot step a curb an inch high to get over my race, gender, style and sexual orientation... what incentive do I have to interact with them IRL?

Yes WoW is crack. I mean, I almost didn't eat dinner last night and was up until 2:30am playing this damn game. My boyfriend had to damn near pull me away from my monitor, which says alot being that HE is the video game junkie and I usually have to pull him away from the screen. I also had WoW dreams... funny that. I am a big guy and rather.... um... intimidating... I enjoy playing my orc, and of course I had a dream I had to make leather armor in Durotar and made a killing selling them. I was in business with an orc shaman who enchanted every piece. Then we got raided I made it to the zeppelins and got away... next thing it was like I was no longer in the game and was instead playing it (kind of a smooth transition). Yes I do dream in color...LOL. Kind of a lame thing to have to admit to but yes I did dream of Durotar.LOL

Whaleman: Double Damn! I actually would have enjoyed questing with you. You seem like a pretty cool guy. Lets hope they bring down the international pricing and open up the Western servers to provide for a more unified gaming experience so that players can literally traverse the world both in fiction and with other players from different locales.

And finally.... yes the devil is real, his name is Steve Ballmer... the rumors are true... Microsoft did get the promotion to the Nineth Level of Dante's Inferno, no trolls don't listen to Bob Marley..... they listen to the Bad Brains, snow flakes really are individual, Everquest does suck, WoW is like crack and yes I can kick ass with very little effort IRL.

I think thats it.

Z.

#46 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 03:20 PM

It shouldn't take a year of play to get to level 20, perhaps?
See now, here is the problem. You don't want to play WoW, you want to play a game where you can easily level up and whack things with extremely casual time input on your part. That simply is not the MMOG model.

stuff about diabloII
Ah, diablo2, great game, but not of the MMOG model.

Friendship? In an online world? Heck, how many people can even name the family who lives...
Then play a single player game. A major point of MMOGs is running around with other people rather than bots or some limited AI.

Didn't mean to get anyone's knickers in a knot. All of matter of ones priorities, whatever's right for you.
No knots in the knickers here, i just don't understand the mindset that says "i don't have time to play this game the way it was designed to be played, so bliz should change the game". It's rather like asking that subaru make you a 2WD outback because it doesn't snow at your house. sorry, it just aint that kind of car, buy the forester. ;)

*edit*
I'm not ripping on you DaveyJJ, but you come in and basically say WoW is too expensive because you have better things to do, then proceed to list them off, then compare it unfavorably to Diablo and such... It's a MMOG on the model of EQ2 & Shadowbane & Ultima Online, so it is going to be similar in price and similar in the amount of time it takes to level up and explore the massive content. You need "Island of Warcraft" where everything is 1/10th scale and 10x faster to level, and 1/4 the price  :razz:

#47 Zatoichi

Zatoichi

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 03:24 PM

No knots in the knickers here, i just don't understand the mindset that says "i don't have time to play this game the way it was designed to be played, so bliz should change the game". It's rather like asking that subaru make you a 2WD outback because it doesn't snow at your house. sorry, it just aint that kind of car, buy the forester. ;)

LOL... buy the Forester. Even bigger LOL... buy a Subaru... LOL.... muahahahahahahaha!

Ok, I'm done. ;)

Z.

#48 blackphoenix

blackphoenix

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 04:20 PM

It shouldn't take a year of play to get to level 20, perhaps?
See now, here is the problem. You don't want to play WoW, you want to play a game where you can easily level up and whack things with extremely casual time input on your part. That simply is not the MMOG model.

stuff about diabloII
Ah, diablo2, great game, but not of the MMOG model.

Friendship? In an online world? Heck, how many people can even name the family who lives...
Then play a single player game. A major point of MMOGs is running around with other people rather than bots or some limited AI.

Didn't mean to get anyone's knickers in a knot. All of matter of ones priorities, whatever's right for you.

*edit*
I'm not ripping on you DaveyJJ, but you come in and basically say WoW is too expensive because you have better things to do, then proceed to list them off, then compare it unfavorably to Diablo and such... It's a MMOG on the model of EQ2 & Shadowbane & Ultima Online, so it is going to be similar in price and similar in the amount of time it takes to level up and explore the massive content. You need "Island of Warcraft" where everything is 1/10th scale and 10x faster to level, and 1/4 the price  :razz:

Yes, but the point is blizzard says that you don't need to spend large chuncks of time on it to progress. They're pitching it as a mmorpg for more casual gamers.

Its IS very addictive. For me I just find it tedious. I hit lvl 10 an I though to myself "I don't want to go through that again", an quit. I'd rather play ghost recon for 15-20 minutes or CoD as a little bit of light fun to get my mind of work.

#49 Maestro

Maestro

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Steam Name:kgmoome

Posted 17 November 2004 - 04:21 PM

as usual with any mmorpg you might start out as a casual gamer, but then you keep investing more and more time into the game to level up your character,

In other words, you pay to lose your life?

#50 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • 5632 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 04:22 PM

Whaleman: Double Damn! I actually would have enjoyed questing with you. You seem like a pretty cool guy. Lets hope they bring down the international pricing and open up the Western servers to provide for a more unified gaming experience so that players can literally traverse the world both in fiction and with other players from different locales.

Yeah, there's quite a few here I would like to play with... I even had plans to start a little guild.... Just with the cool people here ;)

I wouldn't mind to play $13 a month. But since I can reach almost the double, and still not be able to play with the people I want to play with, I feels it's kinda a no go. And there are some things that irritate me in WoW, but that doesn't keep it from being fun in the right party....

...I will see what happens. I might get full time pay (and unfortunately workload) from january. If that happens I could afford more... including some money for WoW each month, even if I don't play it. Right now I only allow myself such expenses on charity... and I won't stop with that to afford WoW... it's only half the monthly fee anyway.

And then we have the possibility of getting a girlfriend again... but that's another story. If that's a happy story, any plans of WoW will probably get postponed for a long time ;)

***END MESSAGE***

#51 Drizzt

Drizzt

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 04:32 PM

I really like WoW and feel that I'll give it a shot for 6 months and see what happens.  I figure live and learn.  If I don't like it, I can always sell it for a little bit of money (not nearly as much as I paid mind you) and be done with it.  I find it much more enjoyable to come home and play after a day of work than UT2004.  Maybe it's because I feel that in WoW, I can move more at my pace, and not at the pace of all the pro players in UT2k4.  That and unless I was doing PvP (which I'm not ATM since I'm not high enough) it doesn't have the bad taste of a losing match like UT2k4 can have.  Though I've been able to fix many of the problems with UT2k4, sometimes I like something a little bit different than shooting someone, and WoW offers that to me.  Due to the fact that I'd rather play WoW almost every night after work, I think I could easily justify the 6 month price.  Once again though I think I'm more in Blizzard's target market with being able to play a couple hours each week night and however many hours over the weekends.

#52 Joe M.

Joe M.

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 04:40 PM

I have to agree with Morrigan. "I don't have to play this game, so it's not worth the money." Well, sure.

Frankly I don't have much time to devote to WoW or any other game but I'm still going to put down the $80 for a 6 month subscription. The logic I use is this: instead of paying $50 every month or two for <insert YetAnotherFPS here>, I'll simply be paying $13 for WoW. It's all I'll want to play in my meager spare time anyway.

So yeah, for me its worth the money. I don't have any hangups about not being some uber powerful super hero who can rend the fabric of time and space, affecting the entire galaxy. Yawn. To me, developing a 'mortal' character from its infancy to its old age is a journey well worth taking, especially in a world as amazing as the one Blizzard has created in WoW.

And it's not just about the landscapes or storyline, outstanding as they are. It's also about the players. I can't count the number of times a passing priest has tossed me a heal and a couple buffs when I was clearly in a bit over my head. Or the many times I've struck up a group with someone who was new and needed a helping hand. It's this type of human interaction that I really enjoy about WoW.

$13 a month? I have no problem paying that.

#53 P.E.N.O.

P.E.N.O.

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 04:58 PM

I havent decided yet.  I played ultima online for 3 years for around $11 to $12 a month.  I am married with kids and I found myself being way to addicted to the game.  I have controlled myself with this beta and do not think I can get as addicted to it as I did with ultima (my first mmo).  However, I do have time on my hands.  I work one day out of three and usually only play when kids are at school or in bed.  It is not for everyone and everyone has their own reasons to play or not to play.  I personally don't think it is as good as ultima but until ultima has a mac version I will prob be playing wow.  Thanks for your time. :P

Go Grambling !!!!!!!!!!!!

Any MAC gamers on server 17, Name is Almonjin.

#54 Maestro

Maestro

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Steam Name:kgmoome

Posted 17 November 2004 - 05:00 PM

And it's not just about the landscapes or storyline, outstanding as they are. It's also about the players. I can't count the number of times a passing priest has tossed me a heal and a couple buffs when I was clearly in a bit over my head. Or the many times I've struck up a group with someone who was new and needed a helping hand. It's this type of human interaction that I really enjoy about WoW.

Is this game even available yet? If you played this during the beta, i bet people were nice. What will happen when more people get the game? Every game has a bunch of idiots.

#55 blackphoenix

blackphoenix

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 06:12 PM

I have to agree with Morrigan. "I don't have to play this game, so it's not worth the money." Well, sure.

Frankly I don't have much time to devote to WoW or any other game but I'm still going to put down the $80 for a 6 month subscription. The logic I use is this: instead of paying $50 every month or two for <insert YetAnotherFPS here>, I'll simply be paying $13 for WoW. It's all I'll want to play in my meager spare time anyway.

So yeah, for me its worth the money. I don't have any hangups about not being some uber powerful super hero who can rend the fabric of time and space, affecting the entire galaxy. Yawn. To me, developing a 'mortal' character from its infancy to its old age is a journey well worth taking, especially in a world as amazing as the one Blizzard has created in WoW.

$13 a month? I have no problem paying that.

Its the kind of game I would buy because I could enjoy it indefinitely. Unfortunately I would also become very poor. I'll save my money for Spartan or HoI 2 an get a game with a one-time price that I can enjoy for short or long periods without it ever getting "old".

#56 hoytt

hoytt

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 07:06 PM

I have the same problem as whaleman. I'll be forced to play on European servers but there will no support in Dutch, so it'll be either German or English for me.
So in the end I'll have to pay more for a game while I don't gain anything over the US version. And so far I haven't had any problems playing on the US servers.

I wonder how much we can blame Vivendi for the pricing and the idea of seperated European and US servers.

#57 Joe M.

Joe M.

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 07:23 PM

Is this game even available yet? If you played this during the beta, i bet people were nice. What will happen when more people get the game? Every game has a bunch of idiots.

It'll be available on the 23rd of this month. At the moment the open beta is still ongoing, and yes the people are generally nice. Note that 500,000 signed up for the last beta stage.

#58 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 07:58 PM

I really like WoW and feel that I'll give it a shot for 6 months and see what happens.  I figure live and learn.  If I don't like it, I can always sell it for a little bit of money (not nearly as much as I paid mind you) and be done with it.  I find it much more enjoyable to come home and play after a day of work than UT2004.
Yes, WoW is almost a sort of stress reliever / meditation for me. I've actually found that I play UT better after an hour of WoW.

#59 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 12:32 AM

if youve read about the things blizzard says it intends to do with WoW, you will realize that content addition is going to be much more than cosmetic. in fact, each of the following elements that blizzard is on record for represents whole additional systems that enrich the gameplay experience:

• PvP weekly ranking system
• seige weapons that can be used to destroy buildings and walls
• battlegrounds system for fighting -- and winning -- contested territory
• guild housing
• an honor system
• "exterior" (non instanced) raid system that will permanently open up whole new world zones to participants

granted, these dont change the world as dynamically or permanently as something like Shadowbane. but such unrestrained dynamism results in a game that has none of the fantastic RPG content that WoW has by the bucket.

in other news, the leveling curve in WoW is fast, and slows down much more gradually than all the other MMOs ive played. nothing keeps you from going up one hour a level up to lvl10. and if you play with one or two pals, the same holds true into the 20s, which is when you start to be competative in raids and warfare.

finally, it might just be the RP server ive played on, but large groups of people are constantly forming. the last three nights when i have randomly logged on there were either full wars going on between 60+ people, or large raids of 30+ into enemy terriotry. ive now been on two of these raids, and they are absolutely fun.

#60 Aleksi

Aleksi

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 02:47 AM

Pffff! Anyway, it would be much wiser to make a 5$ month billing so they could get more people to play. Only fans and people that have lots of time can afford playing this game... I'm so disappointed... :(