#21 blackphoenix

blackphoenix

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 10:13 PM

$14.99 is far, far too much for me.
A-men to that. When will people deciding the pricing for MMORPGs wake up and realize this is not the way to attract the commmon user? What about people who only want to play an hour or two a week? Why must we pay the same as someone who plays 24hours a day? I expected better from Blizzard....

Ditto. Great game (I'm certain). But with a full time job, two young kids, and otehr interests in my life aqs important as gaming, I'm not going to pay CDN$20/month on something I may play for 3-4 hours over the course of a whole month.

Surely someone can introduce a MMORPG that you can opt for paying for time played, not a set monthly fee.

That would probably be better for them even. Possibly make more money that way.. but its would be an unreliable flow.

Its too bad because some parts are horribly fun. Like having to go to a well surrounded by enemies. Or hunting kodo beasts in the tauren side.

#22 |420| Harm

|420| Harm

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 10:14 PM

Thought it was 12.99 if you bought 6 months worth. First month is free also.

And like i just posted....Even the casual gamer can gain experiance fast due to resting while your logged out.

As far as he plays 8 hours a day i might play 1-2 then yeah i still see ya point.

#23 blackphoenix

blackphoenix

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 10:30 PM

I've tried to play MMORPG's but i found out that they suck really bad.

you need to play for at least 40 hours a week before you get any where.

and

When you aren't playing you are just wasting money! I think it's a rip off

15 hours a week for 3-4 months will get you to level 50+. And when you are not playing you store rest, which gives you x2 the amount of XP till it wears off. Something like 3 experiance bars worth of rest per 8 hours of offtime...If you log off in a city or inn.

So $42 for 3 months. Most of that time you won't have to interact with other players or contact support.

#24 Lucian

Lucian

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3028 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 02:03 AM

The price is right for me, so I'm in (I have been since the closed beta). I'd rather spend $13 a month on this high quality game which has a constantly evolving world, then $40-50 per month on a game I'll spend 15-20 hours on, then shelve.
I live in Mexifornia.

#25 Hog

Hog

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 03:58 AM

lol, i find it how most of you think that $13-$15 (thats almost nothing) is too high. the greater price you have to pay is all the time invested in playing. as usual with any mmorpg you might start out as a casual gamer, but then you keep investing more and more time into the game to level up your character, untill you've seen/done/been everything and had enough of the game. and you know time = money. id say i (for myself) would probably be wasting about $1000 per month on the game in terms of time, (as i recon from the beta) and i don't play all day long.

#26 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 17 November 2004 - 05:50 AM

lol, i find it how most of you think that $13-$15 (thats almost nothing) is too high. the greater price you have to pay is all the time invested in playing.

But if you don't play that much, $13-15 is extremely much. To see all I would like to see I would probably have to play it a full year at a slow pace, then I would have to pay over $200 for one single game. And if I would like to keep it going even more, the amount would keep on going. Had this been anything but the Warcraft universe that I love, I would not even consider it. I'd just stick to NWN that gives me better gameplay cheaper, that I don't have to spend with the b.net kids (and oh man there's tons of them in the Barrens now) in a game that does not use the MMO aspect for real... If you can't have larger groups than 5 players, why compete with other players for the named guys?

I would have loved to see WoW as a singleplayer game with online capabilities so I wouldn't have to face the horrors of all the b.net kids that made me stop playing random WC3 games after 10-15 matches, but could play wit my friends alone. The really scary fact is that Blizzard has this built in as one of the games features: Instanced zones. Pay for an MMO, play with just your friends!

I know I'm ranting now, I really love the engine and the world, but making it the most expensive (for Mac) and least massive MMO out there kinda ticks me off. I don't want to spend $200 for a year in the world that I love just to have to share it with Roflcopter, Kissmyass, Macsaregay and all their retarded friends.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#27 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 09:33 AM

I'll pay, but I'm going to wait for summer vacation so I'm sure to have enough time to justify the expense. I don't expect to pay constantly though for more than a couple months after the "free" month is up. I'm hoping they'll let you mothball a character for a while then revive him or her after a few months of inactivity.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#28 SilentBobCDN

SilentBobCDN

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 09:51 AM

im thinking of doing the same thing as bookman. Course... ill be finished my Bachelor's degree in next december, so ill be hopefully doing the whole 'job' thing and im not sure what free time ill have to put towards WoW. ill have to check into the mothballing concept for characters too. if i start in january or so, ill have to take at least finals month off. so who knows. id like to get into it.

#29 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 10:07 AM

Since I've been playing WoW about 12 hours a week, I effectively get to game with 1000's of other people in a huge and varied world at the rate of 27 cents an hour.

In my mind, that is a lot of gaming bang for the buck.

Having leveled both a human and orc warrior past 18, I can tell you that the depth of the game only grows. Whatever you think youve accomplished by level 12 is nothing compared to whats coming: custom crafting and enchanting your own armor and weapons; going on large, coordinated raids with 30 other players (often against 30 other players!); figuring out "combos" with the detailed talent tree system; engaging in guild warfare; finding which mix of classes creates the most effective hunting party; exploring a diverse environment from the sky to the bottom of the sea...

And if thats not enough for you, you can explore the strengths and weaknesses of eight very different races, nine different character classes, literally hundreds of spells and talents, and 12 different professions. but even that isnt all since new content is going to be added regularly!

If you just don't have the time or interest for an MMO, don't like playing socially, don't like directing your own gameplay, or are a cheapo, then obviously WoW is not for you. But man, if you do like these things, 27 cents an hour represents more bang for the buck than i've ever gotten out of my console games or most PC games.

#30 Prometheus

Prometheus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 10:37 AM

Since I've been playing WoW about 12 hours a week, I effectively get to game with 1000's of other people in a huge and varied world at the rate of 27 cents an hour.
yea but not everyone plays as much as you...
i don't have the time.
I <3 RJ

#31 Zatoichi

Zatoichi

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 11:05 AM

Well I for one will be paying to play this game. I work full time and I freelance on the side. I have NEVER been an MMORPG fan, I too hated Everquest (too counter-intuitive to enjoy with too many jerks online), hated Shadowbane and can barely get into vendetta. I was in both of the stress tests and now in the open beta for WoW, and wow is right. It is a blizzard game of unparalleled quality and polish, even at it's beta stages. Starting from a newbie on up the game is FUN! I have always been able to find people to party with, yes it usually starts as a way to kill a big monster and share the benefits, but we usually end up playing for hours before we have to dis-band.

The mac users are easy to tell apart from the windows users due to their friendliness... LOL. The Windows users so far have been cool too, which is a BIG relief after experiencing Everquest. I have made a few RP buddies and even joined a guild. This is THE FIRST MMORPG to actually grab me. I have ALWAYS loved the warcraft series and found the environments to be lush and colorful. I used to say, "Damn this would be cool if it were an RPG and I could explore these environments. Now look... they have done it and done it well. I enjoy the design, color, clarity, level of detail and thought taken to produce this world.

Now, is 14,15 or whatever a bit much to pay? Maybe... if it were Everquest or Shadowbane. But for a constantly evolving game with new things to do, made by Blizzard... what else  can you ask for? This game is going to be new for a long while. You are paying for the servers and for the constant upgrade of features, quests and characters. I am a casual gamer due to time restraints but I find the resting system to be fair. It allows anyone to play as they wish... be it for 24 hours a day or 3 and still stay competitive and on top of things. I got to level 10 in a few days, not even a week, of playing only a few hours at a time.

I love my single player games and all, but yes... it is 50 dollars I would pay to play a game for even as much as 36 hours, beat and then put down. Here I can always find something new and different to play within the game world. If you can afford it, I'd say get it... it is not to be missed. Blizzard gives you a free month to play. Use the time to figure out what kind of player you are and determine if it is worth it to you. If not, you got 1 month of playing out of the deal and can put the game on the shelf with the rest of the games you have beaten and not revisited. It is the same loss. I am lucky enough to a) be a grown man and b) have a good job (2 if you count my freelance) so I can afford to give up the monthly fee. Would I prefer it was lower? Maybe, but then again... for the monthly fee I am paying to have BLIZZARD create new content and to maintain the servers. If you tried to do something of this scale on your own (in terms of server maintanence and creation of content) I am sure the price would help you reconsider WoWs monthly fee and see that it isn't too bad after all.  All I have to say is, remember the type of crappy service 10bucks got you with EQMac. You get what you pay for.

Of course, this is just my 2 cents which is really only worth about .01 euro.

[edit] Whaleman... dude... we often agree... but consider this. All the battlenet jerks and kiddies may not be in WoW. There is a glaring difference. Battlenet is FREE and WoW is not. That alone will weed out those without a credit card and without parents willing to pay with their own card. I too stopped playing
WC/II/III on battlenet because of the kiddies and the cheats. But I have a feeling that alot of that will end in WoW simply because there is money involved. Even if WoW was 10 bucks a month we would lose a lot of the b.net jerks. The perks of being an adult with ones OWN money. [/edit]

Z.

#32 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • 5632 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 11:26 AM

I keep hear people preaching the added content that will come... but you do realize that you won't get a new game every month or so? It will not be much than a few new quests and items and stuff,  I doubt they will find a third continent or so. It will still basically be the same game, and unless it's things like new mounts and similar, the game is already so huge, that most minor additions will be lost. What is 5 new quests among several thousands? That all is rather similar already.

I'm not for a static world that yourself can't affect. And in a quest based MMO, that's just the case. Everything you od, everybody else will be able to do after you. So all quests feel very useless and is only a reason to level up.

Now WoW does this extremely good and still have me tempted.... but it's still so much about rather pointless level-grinding where exploration becomes secondary. You can't explore faster than your level lets you... and that limits you a lot. It also means you will have to play it for a very long time to see it all, which means you will have to pay for it a very long time.

And one thing that really ticks me off, is that once the game goes retail in europe, I won't be able to play on anything but the european servers. Blizzard has chosen to have localized servers at first, and unless you got an North America, Australian or NZ billing adress, you're screwed. That I most probably will have to pay $22 a month thanks to the swedish sales tax and usually cheap conversion rates by most companies (about 20-30% above actual currency rate). Now that's way to expensive to not be able to play with my friends....
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#33 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • 5632 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 11:35 AM

[edit]Whaleman... dude... we often agree... but consider this. All the battlenet jerks and kiddies may not be in WoW. There is a glaring difference. Battlenet is FREE and WoW is not. That alone will weed out those without a credit card and without parents willing to pay with their own card. I too stopped playing
WC/II/III on battlenet because of the kiddies and the cheats. But I have a feeling that alot of that will end in WoW simply because there is money involved. Even if WoW was 10 bucks a month we would lose a lot of the b.net jerks. The perks of being an adult with ones OWN money. [/edit]

I hope you're right... but I'm not sure... too many of the b.net kids are spoilt brats that will either get WoW from their parents, or steal their CC card to pay for it anyway. (Guess how they got their über-computers to cheat on ;P )

But before the open beta, I really had mostly positive contacts throughout the game, and if that continues, it won't feel quite as bad.

***END MESSAGE***

#34 Zatoichi

Zatoichi

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 11:39 AM

Steal their parents CC!?!?!?! To me that is not fathomable due to the fact I was disciplined....LOL. Growing up in my home you never even thought about swiping your moms CC to do anything with... even to pretend. Spoiled brats they are... and that explains their uber computers... good point....LOL

I have had great experiences playing online with these open beta guys and I too do hope it continues.

Oh yeah and if ANY of you reading this are kids who would swipe moms or dads card to pay for this... you deserve an asswhoopin. That concept would NEVER fly in my home. LOL

[edit] Whaleman: DAMN!!!! Those swedish taxes will get you everytime. I understand that the taxes are well spent and visible to the community, but to tax an online game service... wow. 22 bucks a month is too much and breaks my limit. To be confined to euro servers without being able to play with your friends will suck a bit. In your case, and context, I would also have a hard time justifying to myself the cost. If you could play on Western servers that'd be a boost in favor of the game. Maybe it has to do with lag, but it would be nice if you could server hop. [/edit]

Z.

#35 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 17 November 2004 - 11:51 AM

As much as I'd love to play WoW, and many kudos to Blizzard for developing it and making it great, I'm still with Whaleman on this one. Several reason really stand out ... I'd maybe play 1-2 hours a week at most, since I'm not in a position in my life where games mean anywhere near as much as my family, art, writing, coin collecting, playing with my kids, etc. 12 hours a week, anothe rposter said?

Geez, I don't even have 12 hours of spare time in a week even if I wanted to play (Hmm, straighten garage up and fix one of the basement studs or play computer games? Better get the garage ready for winter.)

Also, not everyone here lives in the land of plenty, where everyone will become a millionaire  :roll: Even with the US currency drop it'll be CDN$20/month for a game, as long as you keep playing it. Plus almost CDN$80 with taxes to buy it. One year = CDN$220 to play. That's two big grocery shops, lots of clothes for the kids, my electricity bill for three months, less than 60% of what it cost me to put my best cat friend to sleep, etc. Important thing so intrude on games, huh? So many games, so little unstrctured time (and I'm lucky as work as a senior creative type to actually get to stare at the wall or go for walks to come up with ideas).

Plus, no one mentions Guild Wars as an alternate (for PC folks only, natch) to having to pay monthly. As beautiful a world as WoW, great character classes and races, great content and gameplay, very frequently updated world content, and one price, no monthly fee.

Again, I'd love to play this game. But I'd love to play lots of Mac (andPC ... Half Life 2 and Rome Total War etc) games, but it's not going to kill me to miss them.

And I'd actually be willing to pony up the CDN$80 right now, even if I only played the thing 30 minutes a week, if I didn't have to keep paying for it. That's one addiction I can live without.

PS. Besides, I'd never get to play with Whaleman on the European servers (where we'd certainly kick butt)  :o

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#36 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 12:34 PM

I'd maybe play 1-2 hours a week at most, since I'm not in a position in my life where games mean anywhere near as much as my family, art, writing, coin collecting, playing with my kids, etc. 12 hours a week, anothe rposter said?
What's the attraction of a MMOG to -anyone- who doesn't even have time to get to level 20 in a full year of play? I don't understand why people would expect a game like this to cater to them in any way if they don't even have an hour a night, on average, to play. You won't develop a single relationship/friend in the game at that rate, you'll never explore even 20% of the content, so why play MMOG? NWN would make a lot more sense.

That said, I think the price is a bit high, but not painfully so. I'm willing to log in at 10pm after the tikes are in bed and play til 11 or midnight or so at the prices they've suggested. Ah well, i don't like to sleep more than 6 hours so i guess that's an advantage for me ;)

#37 Lucian

Lucian

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3028 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 12:40 PM

Whale, I hate to do this to you, but you a lot of your points about WoW are wrong. =

For instance, you can create groups as large as 40 people (raids) and the game is quest based, so completing quests will increase your levels MUCH faster than grinding it out with monsters. Also, when you get to level 60, there is a ton of raid content. When you're bored with that, go PvP.
I live in Mexifornia.

#38 Prometheus

Prometheus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 12:41 PM

HOLY CRAP!
is it just me or did whalemen double post!
I <3 RJ

#39 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 01:32 PM

time for the Unreal announcer

-=D-D-DOUBLE POSSSST!=-

#40 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 17 November 2004 - 02:02 PM

What's the attraction of a MMOG to -anyone- who doesn't even have time to get to level 20 in a full year of play? I don't understand why people would expect a game like this to cater to them in any way if they don't even have an hour a night, on average, to play. You won't develop a single relationship/friend in the game at that rate, you'll never explore even 20% of the content, so why play MMOG? NWN would make a lot more sense.

That said, I think the price is a bit high, but not painfully so. I'm willing to log in at 10pm after the tikes are in bed and play til 11 or midnight or so at the prices they've suggested. Ah well, i don't like to sleep more than 6 hours so i guess that's an advantage for me ;)

It shouldn't take a year of play to get to level 20, perhaps? I can spend a few hours in Diablo II and have a 10th level character. A few more and ahve a 13th level Assassin, and a few more after that and be almost in Act III with serious 15-20th level character.

The amount of content I can explore is obviously proportional to the amount of time I play, I understand that. Play an hour, see an hour's worth of stuff.

I have NWN and love it, when I have the odd moment to play.

Friendship? In an online world? Heck, how many people can even name the family who lives four doors down from them, or in the aprtment below them? If you wanted friends you'd probably be outside talking to people and doing things in the real world with them, rather than sitting alone behind a computer screen (a sin we're all guilty of).

And the 10PM time after my kids are in bed is the precious time I spend talking/laughing/knowing/loving/spellbound with my wife. I'd rather explore her thoughts/ideas/worldview/love (OK, everyone get your mind out of the gutter now) than even bother logging onto my computer.

It's just a choice I'm making. Nothing criminal, just an opinion that CDN$20/month forever is too much for me and many Mac gamers.

Didn't mean to get anyone's knickers in a knot. All of matter of ones priorities, whatever's right for you.

PS. Saw the funniest/saddest thing the other day on the news. CTV reporting about the huge power outage in Nova Scotia and one family moping around the fireplace with the kids whining "There's nothing to do. We can't play on the computer or watch TV." Crikes! I'd have been out the door playing in the snow/banging on the neightbours door/in the park/on my bike/playing baseball so fast as a kid. What's with these kids. Ever heard or outside of Monopoly?

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau