141 replies to this topic

#1 BriAnimations

BriAnimations

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 12:19 PM

So, is World of WarCraft worth the cost?  If you buy the game, and also pay for a one year subscription, that'll amass to a grand total of nearly $200.  Seems like a bit much to me.  With $200, I can buy 4 standard games. So, how many people are actually going to buy in to this?  I've been playing the open beta, and I must say it's a sweet game.  Blizzard did an excellent job with it, but for that price no way.

#2 Prometheus

Prometheus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 12:30 PM

dude games like that suck.
you have to put tons of work into it before it finnally is any fun at all...
like kicking some noobs butt.
don't buy it.
in my opinion it is not worth it at all.
I <3 RJ

#3 hotchkiss

hotchkiss

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 12:42 PM

I would have to say yes.

I don't know if you have played it or not yet Prometheus but I think that WoW is the first MMORPG I have played where the early levels are actually a lot of fun. Although I would agree with you that if all you intend to do is build a PvP and beat up some newbs, then no, it is not worth around $200 a year.

However, if you are into roleplaying and looking for a fascinating world with a TON of rich history and a design team whose love of the game and the world really shines through in the environments, story, and subtle details that make that world up, then yes, I think it is very worth it.

Also some of that money goes toward the development of new features so in a sense you are kind of paying for the game as you go. Blizzard has said that they plan to implement a ton of "free" changes after the game hits retail, including, an expanded guild system, player housing, and its Blizzard so you know that there will be constant patching and balance adjustment. Maybe this isn't $200 worth of new material... but hey... it least you can see some of your money at work.

I guess it comes down to what type of gamer you are. For me there is no question that I will be getting WoW when it goes retail. I am playing the open beta now and I love it. But that is me, I would rather invest my time in one very deep game then play four or five Max Payne's or Call of Duty's where I will go through the single player, play online a little, and then pretty much never look at it again.

Just one man's opinion!

#4 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 12:47 PM

from what i've played in the open beta, i'd say yes it is worth the cost. but even though the pay-by-the-year price is lower, i'd not recommend buying a year's subscription right off the bat. play for a while and pay by the month if you're not 100% sure you'll be playing this game a -lot- for a full year.

#5 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 12:55 PM

I think it's completely worth the cost, but it's not a cost that I will be willing, or able, to play. Add my parents to the mix, and you've got a definite no-play.

#6 Shane

Shane

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 02:56 PM

im loving the game and that comes to a surpise for me. i hated shadowbane and hated everquest, and i was in the beta for both of those.

this one is nice cause we get in on the ground floor with equal parity of the windows users.
plus the game is just fun. im  a level 12 night elf warrior who does skinning and leathermaking and i am addicted to it. granted the montly cost sucks. but im gonna buy it, and then pay for 3 months and then see where i stand. to me, the monthly cost is just not going out to eat 1 time a week and the cost is covered (i eat out entirely too much anyway).

it just boils down to how much fun you have with role playing like games.

#7 blackphoenix

blackphoenix

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 03:29 PM

$14.99 is far, far too much for me. Its a great game but being in canada that isnt very affordable.

#8 Auron

Auron

Billowing Smokestack of BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 03:32 PM

$14.99 is far, far too much for me.
A-men to that. When will people deciding the pricing for MMORPGs wake up and realize this is not the way to attract the commmon user? What about people who only want to play an hour or two a week? Why must we pay the same as someone who plays 24hours a day? I expected better from Blizzard....

#9 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 03:37 PM

I suppose that the monthly-delivered original content will make up for the cost (new quests and monsters every month), but I still think that it should have been $10 or less.

#10 Auron

Auron

Billowing Smokestack of BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 03:45 PM

I suppose that the monthly-delivered original content will make up for the cost (new quests and monsters every month), but I still think that it should have been $10 or less.
Agreed. Regardless of new content, I think the pricing they've laid out will alienate alot of people.

#11 |420| Harm

|420| Harm

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 03:49 PM

Its worth it if u like mmorpgs
Its not worth it if you poor

#12 blackphoenix

blackphoenix

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 03:57 PM

Its worth it if u like mmorpgs
Its not worth it if you poor

I'm lvl 12 and I haven't been in a single spot where other players were an asset. Its a very nice RPG.

#13 dualg4

dualg4

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 04:01 PM

I'm interested in this game but I think that I'll wait until this summer to try it out. I'll let the rest of the people pay to develop content and just pay for may-august when I'll be working and have the money and time to waste on something like WoW.

On the other hand once my dual1.25 won't be able to play new games I might be willing to invest the money that I would have spent on games on monthly fees. We shall see.

#14 almondblight

almondblight

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 04:19 PM

I'm lvl 12 and I haven't been in a single spot where other players were an asset. Its a very nice RPG.

Yeah, I've found that I often had to make an effort to play with other people, just because everyone was doing different quests and needed to do different things.  The most teamwork I got was when I needed a couple of people to take on a tough boss, in which case I would work with them for about 5 minutes.

The quests seem like thin trimmings on a leveling treadmill, but there are a few that are fun.  Sadly, most are "find me 12 x and 13 y", and just about none made me feel like the world was anything but an amusement park for the avatars.

The game can be pretty fun though, there are a lot of things to try out, if they tweaked a few things and actually threw in a storyline it would make a pretty fun single player game.  But for $220 a year, I can fill my time with a host of old games off of ebay.

#15 Aleksi

Aleksi

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 05:18 PM

I thought the prices where not decided yet?!
Plus i find it strange that it would cost 14$ a month. Blizzard always has milions of player... it seems a bit strange to see a price that high... or they maybe are really greedy!

#16 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 November 2004 - 05:25 PM

I thought the prices where not decided yet?!
Plus i find it strange that it would cost 14$ a month. Blizzard always has milions of player... it seems a bit strange to see a price that high... or they maybe are really greedy!
link

The month-to-month subscription plan costs $14.99 per month, the three-month plan costs $13.99 per month, and the six-month plan costs $12.99 per month.

I say $15 is too much, since I would only play it a few hours a week over a long period.... trying to play as much as possible is just too stressy.

I could pay per hour playtime instead, that would make a huge difference.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#17 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 16 November 2004 - 07:39 PM

$14.99 is far, far too much for me.
A-men to that. When will people deciding the pricing for MMORPGs wake up and realize this is not the way to attract the commmon user? What about people who only want to play an hour or two a week? Why must we pay the same as someone who plays 24hours a day? I expected better from Blizzard....

Ditto. Great game (I'm certain). But with a full time job, two young kids, and otehr interests in my life aqs important as gaming, I'm not going to pay CDN$20/month on something I may play for 3-4 hours over the course of a whole month.

Surely someone can introduce a MMORPG that you can opt for paying for time played, not a set monthly fee.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#18 monkeyphonix

monkeyphonix

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 08:28 PM

Too bloody expensive. I'd love to get into it but for the money they're asking...ouch. I'll just spend the time finishing NWN and the add-ons.

#19 Maestro

Maestro

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Steam Name:kgmoome

Posted 16 November 2004 - 08:56 PM

I've tried to play MMORPG's but i found out that they suck really bad.

you need to play for at least 40 hours a week before you get any where.

and

When you aren't playing you are just wasting money! I think it's a rip off

#20 |420| Harm

|420| Harm

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 10:12 PM

I've tried to play MMORPG's but i found out that they suck really bad.

you need to play for at least 40 hours a week before you get any where.

and

When you aren't playing you are just wasting money! I think it's a rip off

15 hours a week for 3-4 months will get you to level 50+. And when you are not playing you store rest, which gives you x2 the amount of XP till it wears off. Something like 3 experiance bars worth of rest per 8 hours of offtime...If you log off in a city or inn.