World of Warcraft System Requirements Mac

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#41 fletch

fletch

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 10:15 PM

Pleasantly surprised.  My 800mhz G4 Cube, Geforce 2mx, 1 gig of ram actually plays the game ok.  Outside of town I'm getting about 20 FPS and when I turn off the interface I get about 25 FPS.  I obviously turned all of the settings to low and resolution at 800x600.

I've been thinking of getting a Geforce 3 and just might plunk down the cash to upgrade the old cube one more time.  

Pete

#42 rbarris

rbarris

Valve Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 01:18 AM

Pleasantly surprised.  My 800mhz G4 Cube, Geforce 2mx, 1 gig of ram actually plays the game ok.  Outside of town I'm getting about 20 FPS and when I turn off the interface I get about 25 FPS.  I obviously turned all of the settings to low and resolution at 800x600.

I've been thinking of getting a Geforce 3 and just might plunk down the cash to upgrade the old cube one more time.  

Pete

I would encourage anyone thinking about spending money out of pocket to try and push up their frame rates, to re-evaluate that point of view *after* the next WoW patch comes out.  I can't say when that will be though I sure would like to.

#43 mr. jingles

mr. jingles

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 08:22 AM

I would encourage anyone thinking about spending money out of pocket to try and push up their frame rates, to re-evaluate that point of view *after* the next WoW patch comes out.  I can't say when that will be though I sure would like to.

That gives me hope for increased performance in WoW on my new iMac G5.

Honestly I love the game (Ok, I have a small addiction :-) ) and it is playable, but the performance is really not as high as I would have expected.
The strange thing is the way it displays the bad performance. I started off with the default settings and it plays ok, but it was choppy when turning quickly or running to new areas. So I thought maybe I would play with the settings. I changed the resolution all the way down and set all settings to low. The fps went up but it was still choppy when turning or running to new areas without stopping to fight.

So basically at 1024x640 I get 20-30 fps in town and outside, at 1680x1050 I get about 10-20 fps in town and outside. But while the fps is different it plays almost identically choppy. Stranger still is that if i pop out to window mode it is noticeably smoother overall. I can't really tolerate playing that way though. So I have been playing on the higher res because it looks better and plays about the same.

I am not sure if this is typical or not, just thought I would share my experience. I have a 20 inch iMac G5 upgraded to 2GB RAM.

#44 The_O

The_O

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 03:21 PM

At 20-30 fps you shouldn't be seeing any chop at all.  Heck, the game plays fine from about 10 fps on up.  What you are seeing might be network related.

#45 Shane

Shane

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 08:14 AM

here is my set up.
1.2 quicksilver, 640 ram, radeon 9600

i installed 10.3.7 last night and did some quick before and after tests.

10.36:
with finder running, my fps was around 15-21
without the finder running, it was 17-22

10.3.7:
with the finder running, around 18-22
without the finder runnig, it pretty consistant stayed about 20-30.
now there were still hiccups in crowded spots (ironforge), but i do
notice a more consistant fps. I can't wait to bliz puts out thier update with some more speed increases.

#46 Ishmoo

Ishmoo

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 02:20 PM

Hmm. So an 800 MHz G4 Powerbook with 768 RAM and a 32MB ATI card might actually run this decently? It is tempting, apart from the monthly fee, sigh. But it's so pretty. And a new RPG - from Blizzard. Sigh. Making 4 GB of disk space would be the hardest part, so maybe I'll stay strong!

#47 Ishmoo

Ishmoo

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 09:48 PM

Bump. Anybody tried it on a setup like mine? Going shopping tomorrow, so I could pick it up when I'm out. Certainly reading the website it seems that I could certainly get into several of the classes (although their rogue seems to be a combination rogue/ninja type char). Powerbook owners, speak now!

#48 usbnuts

usbnuts

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 04:33 AM

Shane,

Sorry, but what do you mean by 'finder'?

#49 Shane

Shane

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 08:18 AM

the finder is what your desktop is, that gives you access to all your hard drives and allows you to move around the machine.
even while a game is running it will still suck up some of your processor and ram time that could be allocated to the game.
but using a add-on to quit the finder, it will give a small boost to most 3d games, not a huge one, but 2-3 fps average

#50 usbnuts

usbnuts

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 09:58 AM

Shane,

ohhh okay.. that's what I was wondering... you shut down Finder with an add-on.  B/c I've been using Mac for 2 years now and I always thought Finder is something like 'Explorer' in Windows XP.  If you close it, it simply restarts itself and crashes the system.

#51 Shane

Shane

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 10:47 AM

well that is why you need a low-commsumption program also running, like prefs or something, or windowing out of wow and quiting the finder. if you just have the finder funning and you quit it, it will restart it self if no other programs are running.

#52 opmdude

opmdude

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 07:14 PM

can somone help me please
i have a emac700 mhz, 1gig ram , nvidea geforce 2 mx
do you think i can play WoW, because i really want to :(

#53 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 10:59 AM

opmdude, on January 3rd 2005, 07:14 PM, said:

View Post

You'll be able to load it and run it, but perhaps not real well. It loaded and ran on my G3 600 iMac with 16 MB Rage card, and was playable in that I was able to get a gnome all the way to level 5, yielding a steady 2-7 fps. This was during the beta, so the game has been optomized since then, and you have a better processor, twice the RAM, and twice the VRAM. I'd give it a try.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#54 opmdude

opmdude

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 04:43 PM

bookman, on January 4th 2005, 09:59 AM, said:

opmdude, on January 3rd 2005, 07:14 PM, said:

View Post

You'll be able to load it and run it, but perhaps not real well. It loaded and ran on my G3 600 iMac with 16 MB Rage card, and was playable in that I was able to get a gnome all the way to level 5, yielding a steady 2-7 fps. This was during the beta, so the game has been optomized since then, and you have a better processor, twice the RAM, and twice the VRAM. I'd give it a try.

View Post

thx allot men :)

#55 ledknight

ledknight

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 01:29 AM

Now I have found the right thread...
I'm new to gaming on the Mac.
I'm about to go and buy World Of Warcraft.

Will it run on my Ti G4 Powerbook?

Hardware Overview:
Machine Model: PowerBook G4 17"
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.5 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.8.6f0
TXN,PCIXXXX-00:

ATY,RV360M11:
Type: display
Bus: AGP
VRAM (Total): 128 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x4e50
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-xxxxx-134
Display:
Type: display
Display Type: LCD
VRAM (In Use): 128 MB
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Depth: 32-bit Color

Do I need to install a 3D card or can I get away with what I've got?
Or which 3D card is the best for me?
Thanks in advance - just trying to get my head around all this.

#56 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 January 2005 - 12:10 PM

Run?  Yes.  How well?  Subjective.  It should easily be playable if you turn down graphics options, particularly Texture Distance.

You can't change video cards in PowerBooks except when ordering CTO.  All Macs since... at least the PowerMac G3s have shipped with some type of 3D card and the one in the latest PowerBook G4s was top of the line when the latest revision of PowerBooks first shipped.  You shouldn't need to worry about the card too much.

Good luck finding a copy.  It's sold out in most places and new shipments are very sporadic.
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#57 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 11 January 2005 - 09:20 PM

Not to belabour the point but here's the (current) rig ...

12" Powerbook 867Mhz with 640MB RAM and the 32MB nVidia GeForce4MX card.

What say you all? I'll take 800x600 with medium rez and in the 20s for fps if it'll run it.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#58 Joe M.

Joe M.

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 11:32 PM

For those getting choppy performance on G5s:

Were you getting this kind of performance before the last patch?

If not, turning off the hardware cursor may alleviate the choppiness. On the PC in my sig I was getting show-stopping stuttering at certain points and turning off the HW cursor fixed it for me.

Hopefully this is addressed in the next patch. I loved the hardware cursor. :(

#59 Dr.Bear

Dr.Bear

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 01:52 PM

I heard there were problems with the NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200. Can anyone confirm this?

#60 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 11:10 AM

My work machine: Dual 450MHz G4 with 32MB Radeon of some sort
With all graphic options turned down and at 1024x768 resolution this is playable. Barely! But playable. I would hesitate to get into a large group with lots of spells/effects flying. Not bad though for being so far under spec.

My home machine: Dual 2.0GHz G5 with 1GB RAM and a 128MB ATI 9600 Pro
My settings are all set high and resolution is 1280x1024. This plays quite smooth with a bit of stuttering when flying on a griffon but not bad. I have had instances of TERRIBLE stuttering since the last patch, but only when i've had my machine running for a long time. I had not rebooted in something like 2 weeks and my performance in WoW was becoming quite annoying. A reboot fixed this. Another thing that seems to keep the stutterbug away is to make sure all other OS users are logged out. My wife usually has her user logged in for Fast User Switching. I've taken to logging her out before i play WoW.