84 replies to this topic

#21 Auron

Auron

Billowing Smokestack of BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 02:30 PM

Mac gaming would be so much better than PC gaming if only they were cheaper. Thats why I'm going to get a PC so I can play without worrying about system requirements.

Don't flap though, I'll be selling this iMac to my dad downstairs so it'll never be far away. ;)

Say hi to the blue screen of death for me.

#22 CJM

CJM

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 03:03 PM

Hmm... Yeah, I forgot about that. Is that a regular problem for PC's or something that might only crop up once in a while? I've only ever seen it once on the school computers (which shouldnt be happening because they're new, but then again, who can blame RM...).
Bored and such.

#23 dimmer

dimmer

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 03:52 PM

I've found Win 2000 with the latest SP's and DirectX to be pretty solid --- only problem is all the spyware and adware you get as soon as you open an internet connection. Don't know if XP improves on this or not, but with care you can keep a gaming PC up and running without too much trouble (still -much more- effort than on a Mac though...)

#24 CJM

CJM

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 04:14 PM

Well hopefully I'll pull through it all. If only Apple either brought their hardware price down or made Mac OS X runable on all machines they'd have a sure fire winner. Of course I will come back to the Mac platform when I start working full time and I'll still attend the Expos. The only thing is, the PC has that Nvidia card...What was it? Something like the 6800... only slightly better, anyway can't remember but the point is its expensive and I don't know how I'm going to get that and still pay for WoW. Even though it was the reason that pushed me to get the PC in the first place.
Bored and such.

#25 littleredxj

littleredxj

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 01:40 PM

ARGHISM, my G4 cant play it. 867 Dual Mhz.  :sad:

anyways, i guess i wouldnt want it since you haveto pay monthly right? :-?

Its playable on a QS 867 G4 single processor.  Of course I have a retail radeon 9000 and 640mb RAM.  The RAM is the big thing in this game.  Get more of it and the game runs smoother.

Only time my system suffers is in raid groups or areas with a lot of people in them casting spells and all.  Other than that it is very playable.

#26 littleredxj

littleredxj

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 01:44 PM

Mac gaming would be so much better than PC gaming if only they were cheaper. Thats why I'm going to get a PC so I can play without worrying about system requirements.

You do know this is a blizzard dual release and the mac client is in with PC thus making it the same price.

#27 blazer

blazer

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 06:43 PM

I've got an 800mhz iMac G4 with 768 megs of SDRAM and a 56k modem.  Does anyone know whether WoW would run on my computer?
The 56k line is my biggest concern b/c ive got a 1.33 GHz laptop that I can use if i have to but i'd prefer my desktop if i can.
Plz let me know.

#28 Nalouto

Nalouto

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 12:40 PM

I was just checking...
does the game use the dual processes well? if so my dual 500 might just scrape by  >_>

#29 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 12:44 PM

I've got an 800mhz iMac G4 with 768 megs of SDRAM and a 56k modem.  Does anyone know whether WoW would run on my computer?
The 56k line is my biggest concern b/c ive got a 1.33 GHz laptop that I can use if i have to but i'd prefer my desktop if i can.
Plz let me know.

A friend of mine is running it with an 867 Mhz G4, so you should be OK unless the game has some sort of processor speed checker that analyzes your setup upon booting up the game.

#30 Zatoichi

Zatoichi

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 02:14 PM

I am playing this on a dual 867 G4 with 768MB RAM and a Radeon 9800 pro. Between these three stats I am able to run WoW with a decent frame rate that really only drops in the areas that are spawn or hearth areas... most of that can be attributed to lag.

I tend to average roughly 25-30 fps with it dipping into the teens (avg 15) when in the aformentioned areas.

I am soooo totally loving this game. I played in the betas and stress tests and it has always been a great performer on my Mac. I can't wait for the patch that enable the shaders to come out. The game fantastic without them so imagine how good it will look when the shaders are re-enabled.

{edit} when you first install the game it checks the processor and if it is below 933 it will pop up a message saying so... but... it also gives you the option to install anyway in a convenient button on the same pop-up that says 'Install Anway'. Cheers. [/edit]

Z.

#31 converted2truth

converted2truth

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 09:35 PM

Game is playable on my dual 1.8/6800GT, but i get anywhere from 5-15FPS in towns.  it sucks bad... especially after all the money i just dumped into it.
Mac Pro/2.66/2GB RAM/X1900/1.5TB & 250GB X partition/250GB XP partition/Dell 24" LCD
MBP CD2.0/2GB ram/100GB HD (20GB XP partition)/ATI X1600m

#32 The_O

The_O

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 05:02 PM

That's the 3rd time you've complained.  Have you emailed Blizzard?

#33 xGrape

xGrape

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 05:42 AM

Anyone tried it on a 1 Ghz 12" PowerBook? Judging by the sys.req. it should be playable, but I'm starting to doubt the powers of the amazing nvidia fx5200go...

#34 Snypah Nynjah

Snypah Nynjah

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 07:11 PM

G4 Dual 500 Mhz, 384 RAM, 64 MB Radeon 8500, Cable Internet Connection.

Game runs fine.  No lag, graphical glithces, or single digit FPS.

#35 J Henry Waugh

J Henry Waugh

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 05:38 PM

1Ghz Powerbook 512M RAM 64M ATI Card
Runs like a charm, though some video settings are turned down...

1.8Ghz iMac 1G RAM 64M ATI Card
Runs OK, get 20-30 FPS except when in crowded towns, FPS go down to 5-10FPS, video settings down, except for detail distance which would improve things

If you're having problems, lower the resolution... ...funny that the G4 PB seemingly runs better than the G5 iMac... ...though both are playable, and if you haven't already, go buy this game!!!!

#36 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 December 2004 - 03:06 AM

1.8Ghz iMac 1G RAM 64M ATI Card

That should be a nVidia FX5200, since that's the only thing the iMac G5s ship with.

And according to rbarris in these news comments they are aware of an issue with nVidia cards, even though it seems to be a major pain to track down. This would explain converted2truth's syndrome as well I guess.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#37 Nalouto

Nalouto

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 02:42 PM

snypah thats the best thing ive read all week ^^

my specs are the same but w/a bit more ram.

weeeeee going to run out and get this bitch ^^

#38 Snypah Nynjah

Snypah Nynjah

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 05:07 PM

No problem :).

It actually runs quite well, I was surprised!

#39 Fuzz

Fuzz

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 08:59 PM

my specs are the same but w/a bit more ram.

Great, now to steal my friend's copy of the game so I can have braggin rights to the slowest system able to play WoW and like it!

Dual G4 450, but with a bit more (640 MB) RAM.

#40 Valnoren

Valnoren

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 11:00 PM

WoW runs on my Dual G4 500 with 1GB of ram and a 32 mb ATI Radeon. must play with low textures and vis. But it plays