7 replies to this topic

#1 roders

roders

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 06:28 PM

The performance of this Demo, on my G5 dual 2.0Ghz (standard Rev A Spec) is, on default settings, at best described as average.
I have editied the game.dsc file (specified in this thread) and tried windowed mode which has too many visual defects + when I maximise the window performance drops considerably.
I've also tried editint the screen res to 1280x1-24 (my LCD's Native res) and performance drops to about 1fps!
Is the full game this bad?

#2 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 31 October 2004 - 01:43 AM

How much RAM do you have? The demo runs a lot better on my MDD with 1GB RAM than on my faster PowerBook with 512MB. And a G5 needs even more RAM after all.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#3 roders

roders

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 05:33 AM

Yeah you could be right, as ram is the only thing that you could say my machine is deficient in.

#4 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 01:08 PM

If you have 512MB (which you neglected to mention) then that's definitely the root of your problem.  On CoD, my Dual 1.25 GHz G4/1 GB RAM/Radeon 9800 Pro crushed my Rev. B Dual 2.0 GHz G5/512MB/Radeon 9800XT--until I bought another 512MB of RAM, at which point the G5 slaughtered my old G4.   :roll:
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#5 roders

roders

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 01:13 PM

Sorry 4 not mentioning the amount of Ram I've got, as you've guessesd it's just the stock 512MB of ram.
I reckon your right about ram holding my system back, so thanks for the heads up.

#6 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 04:53 PM

Try the Sunday papers if you're looking for RAM.  Oftentimes Best Buy or Office Max will have some pretty sweet deals.  You'll need DDR400 (which is also called PC3200), and you'll have to install it in pairs.  That means if you want another 512MB of RAM, you have to get 2x256MB sticks that are exactly the same and install them at the same time.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#7 flargh

flargh

Macworld Magazine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 09:38 PM

Sorry 4 not mentioning the amount of Ram I've got, as you've guessesd it's just the stock 512MB of ram.
I reckon your right about ram holding my system back, so thanks for the heads up.

Roders;

I'm presuming you posted this on our forums too, since the body of the message is identical. I responded to it there as well, but just to elaborate, yeah, an additional 512MB of RAM will make a huge difference on your machine. I bumped by gaming Power Mac up from 512MB to 1GB and I was incredibly surprised by just how much more playable a lot of games were. Strongly recommend more RAM -- Ubi Soft's suggested minimum requirements in this respect are woefully inadequate.
Peter Cohen, pcohen@macworld.com
Senior Editor, Macworld.com News
Columnist, Macworld "Game Room"

#8 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 12:48 AM

Ubi Soft's suggested minimum requirements in this respect are woefully inadequate.

As are most minimum requirements coming from PC publisehrs.
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM