170 replies to this topic

#161 Shane

Shane

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 10:37 AM

i think fps is like command L or control L or something like that. just start pushing buttons =0)

#162 Sizzle

Sizzle

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 03:21 PM

Ctrl-R for FPS.

I believe you will see a frame rate improvement if you turn view distance all the way down. Maybe turn everything down and then bring things like resolution, textures and detail up till you see a big drop in frame rates.

#163 Zatoichi

Zatoichi

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 04:12 PM

It is the viewing distance that cuases most of the performance issues. It has been that way since the beginning. It is not a bug mind you, it is the nature of the viewing distance. Just turn it all the way down (you will notice that your viewing distance in the background changes and won't draw everything a million miles away) and you will get a nice speed boost.

The other thing is lag. When in newbie areas you will always lag. That is where people come in and out. As of late of course there are more newbies coming in. You will lag during raids and other areas with lots of PCs and people teleporting. Unless they find some alien technology to take care of the lag, it will be there always. This too is not a bug, for Blizzard has no control over internet protocols and what ever other traffic you have going on in your own network.

Z.

#164 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 05:19 PM

Ctrl-R for FPS.

I believe you will see a frame rate improvement if you turn view distance all the way down.
Yes, as well as lower hard drive use between zones.

#165 blackphoenix

blackphoenix

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 11:08 AM

Wow, I'm getting a massive 15-18 fps on the lowest settings.

#166 Drizzt

Drizzt

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 08:11 PM

Well looks like the open beta is almost over already...check the main WoW page for the news.  Characters won't carry over unfortunately which makes me sad, since I really liked Blackleaf my NE Warrior.  Ah well, guess I'll have to reincarnate her when retail hits right?  Still kinda disapointed that it had to end so soon, but let's hope it pays off when retail comes.

#167 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 09:43 PM

Well, that was a good week of chaos. :)

Now if I can get a job and some new parents, I'll see you in the full version!  :wink:

#168 P.E.N.O.

P.E.N.O.

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 11:03 PM

I am done.  Deleted everything to do with WoW.  Good riddens.  Changed my mind.  Not gonna buy it.  No particular reason.  Just dun wanna be a zombie sitting in front of me Mac.  For all that are gonna buy it keep us informed.  

Go Grambling !!!!!

#169 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 11:50 PM

heh thats funny. i was just talking to a friend about how WoW avoids the "zombie effect" because so much of its questing content comes in nice, neat, 30-60 minute packages. which is perfect for my busy, "pick-up-and-play" executive lifestyle. :lol:

#170 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 11:55 PM

heh thats funny. i was just talking to a friend about how WoW avoids the "zombie effect" because so much of its questing content comes in nice, neat, 30-60 minute packages. which is perfect for my busy, "pick-up-and-play" executive lifestyle. :lol:

I agree - it's easy to pick it up, complete a quest, and be out in an hour. Of course being a zombie is more fun....
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#171 P.E.N.O.

P.E.N.O.

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 12:32 PM

Sure it is easy to complete a quest in 60 mins.  While your still a lvl 10 char.  But once your char lvls up I am thinking it's gonna take a little longer than 60 mins to do a quest, especially some of those elite ones.  Who knows.

Go Grambling!!!!!!