170 replies to this topic

#1 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 03:47 PM

There's that feeeeeeeling in the air....

The stress test was the most fun I've ever had at my computer. And this time, I'll have enough time to get some money, level up some more (maybe to 40, so I can get a mount), and explore areas I hadn't been to last time.

No if it'll only START. :evil:

I'm internally debating whether to choose a new race/class this time around so I can see new scenery, or try to reconstruct my old character from scratch. I miss my old character so much, I had started to feel really attached to him by the end of  the week.  :sad:

Is anybody else excited?

#2 gbafan

gbafan

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 04:03 PM

The stress test was the most fun I've ever had at my computer. And this time, I'll have enough time to get some money, level up some more (maybe to 40, so I can get a mount), and explore areas I hadn't been to last time.
I don't think open beta will last that long... if it does I'd be surprised and disappointed.
Advocate for consumer friendly DRM.

#3 MacADDICT

MacADDICT

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 04:07 PM

...because someone who was'nt lucky enough to play for the last 6 months could play for a month without having to pay?

#4 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 04:15 PM

and disappointed.
Why's that?

#5 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 04:18 PM

I don't think open beta will last that long... if it does I'd be surprised and disappointed.
Somebody got up to lvl 40 in the STRESS TEST. If that's possible in a week, I think it would be possible over the 2-3 weeks the open beta will hopefully last.

#6 gbafan

gbafan

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 04:18 PM

and disappointed.
Why's that?
Well...  open beta will be just like any other beta.  Any new character you start will be wiped before retail.

Yes, I've been playing for 6+ months and I'm ready mentally for retail.  Sorry but I've tested, tested, tested; I'm ready to play for real now.

I want a fresh start, when retail hits.  The rumor is we'll all be wiped for Open Beta. Oh well.

#7 gbafan

gbafan

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 04:22 PM

Somebody got up to lvl 40 in the STRESS TEST. If that's possible in a week, I think it would be possible over the 2-3 weeks the open beta will hopefully last.
Wow dude, relax.  They got up so fast in the stress test because it was necessary to win the beta contest.  If you didn't level up fast, you wouldn't get to be in closed beta.  It made sense for that reason.

#8 hoytt

hoytt

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 04:24 PM

I'm still curious how many of the people in the Closed Beta actually filed bug reports and provided useful feedback to the developers. Somehow I think the majority just used it as an excuse to play for free for a while. And had I gotten in, I would have probably done that too.

#9 gbafan

gbafan

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 04:40 PM

I'm still curious how many of the people in the Closed Beta actually filed bug reports and provided useful feedback to the developers. Somehow I think the majority just used it as an excuse to play for free for a while. And had I gotten in, I would have probably done that too.
/sigh  I'd probably feel the same way as you if I had not been chosen for this task.  However, I can't tell you how many times I've "wasted" time starting new characters to test them or repeated the same action over and over to reproduce a bug.

The game is fun, no doubt about that.  But after 6 months, I'm ready to play the game for what it is and enjoy forming a character that won't get deleted after months of work.

I have a combined level of 250+ across all my toons now; I think I've done my fair share of testing.  I don't even have a "capped" toon as I'm not a hardcore leveler.

#10 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 05:15 PM

Wow dude, relax.  They got up so fast in the stress test because it was necessary to win the beta contest.  If you didn't level up fast, you wouldn't get to be in closed beta.  It made sense for that reason.
My point was, I can use one week to level up a lot, and the other week(s) to enjoy my achievement.

#11 Tirinal

Tirinal

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 06:43 PM

My point was, I can use one week to level up a lot, and the other week(s) to enjoy my achievement.

If the leveling in itself isn't a fun activity, you're playing the game wrong. Of all the MMOs I've tried, I think WOW achieves this best. Take it for what it is and don't try to impose an EQ mentality upon it.

#12 FoxDog175

FoxDog175

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 06:52 PM

I assure you, the only people who got to 40 were the people who'd been playing the beta, months prior.  It was, after all, open to *everyone*, including closed beta testers.

I'm also looking forward to retail as I've also been in since day 1.  I'm ready for the real deal and am actually looking forward to the big wipe (which I also hear will be at open beta).  Most of my toons are nekid anyhow from the item/currency wipe a few months back.

Bring it on, Blizzard! =]

#13 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 07:22 PM

I don't know about whether I'll be playing retail or not; it depends on the monthly price.

#14 Dark uk

Dark uk

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 09:10 AM

High just wondering if anyone knows when open beta will be and how many people are allowed to join  it?

#15 |420| Harm

|420| Harm

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 09:41 AM

Been in closed beta for 5+ months and im only level 53. Im mentally ready for retail also tho.

This game is gonna grab Mac gaming by the balls and not let go.

#16 NAG

NAG

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 24 October 2004 - 11:23 AM

Open beta will not be "for awhile" (the latest post).

So who knows what that means.

Oh, by definition, everyone who wants in will be in for open beta.

#17 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 24 October 2004 - 11:32 AM

As long as they live in North America… I guess Europe will have to wait a while longer.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#18 NAG

NAG

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 11:36 AM

As long as they live in North America… I guess Europe will have to wait a while longer.

Doesn't Australia get in too since they will use NA servers at launch? I am wondering when China beta will start.

#19 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 01:38 PM

Been in closed beta for 5+ months and im only level 53. Im mentally ready for retail also tho.

This game is gonna grab Mac gaming by the balls and not let go.
I hope they resolve the OGL shader issue, because it really looks better with shaders. (The grasslands have a sort of sheen to them, the water looks nice, etc.)

I've been an FPS junkie for all of my life, and this is the first time that something outside of that genre has caught my eye.

#20 NAG

NAG

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 01:39 PM

Supposedly 10.3.6 fixes the shader issue.