5 replies to this topic

#1 druganov

druganov

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 01:30 AM

I've been playing Simcity 4: Rush Hour for about a week now and have run into two serious problems with the game: Crash on scroll and crash on save (detailed below):

System Specs:
Dual 2Ghz G5, 1.5G RAM, Radeon 9600 Pro, 10.3.5 (clean install just to make sure no third-party funkiness was going on).

The problems do not seem to be related to the other thread about ATI cards, I am not having the slowdown or graphical glitch problems. Anyway, here they are:

1. Crash on scroll. Scrolling via keyboard or mouse will produce a crash. It is not the most terribly consistant crash but, it happens most often with a dual monitor configuration when scrolling to the left (where the other monitor is) with the mouse. However, even in a single monitor configuration (monitor cable removed, system rebooted) the crash will occur quite often. City sizes between 1000 and 100000 show this behaviour (and you can scroll over empty territory and see it crash). The crash report starts off with this:

Date/Time:      2004-10-17 22:30:55 -0700
OS Version:     10.3.5 (Build 7M34)
Report Version: 2

Command: SimCity 4 Rush Hour
Path:    /Applications/SimCity 4/SimCity 4 Rush Hour.app/Contents/MacOS/SimCity 4 Rush Hour
Version: 1.1 (1337)
PID:     651
Thread:  0

Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes:      KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000008

As a consequence of this crashing problem, I tend to save often. Enter the second problem:

2. Crash on save. One out of appx. every 9 or so saves crashes the app. No crash report is generated. Most often, the app will quit to the desktop but sometimes it must be killed (with either force quit or, if that doesn't work, you have to issue a kill -9 <pid> from another machine before it will finally die). The previous save is NOT corrupted (thanks to what appears to be a temp file save system). City size does not seem to be a factor.

Anyway, the scrolling crash problem existed in the original (patched) version of vanilla SimCity 4 (only it was far more common. I complained, got an answer that led me to believe they hadn't read the report...). The crash problem is new, I believe.

Has anyone else seen these problems? I would be interested to know if they exist on the PC side as well.

Thanks

#2 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 October 2004 - 01:34 AM

Honestly, that's not enough of the thread to go on anything.  I think 99% of the crash logs start off like that.  The section that's usually of the most interest starts with "Thread X Crashed:" where X is a number greathan or = 0.
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#3 druganov

druganov

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 02:56 AM

The full crash logs (5) for the scrolling problems are located here:

http://homepage.mac....ty/crashes.html

There have been more crashes than these but, these are the five that come up (not in any order, unfortunatly). Anyway, If you look at them, you will note why I did not post the full text here.

I am still trying to get a log for the crash problem.

Thanks

#4 BMarsh

BMarsh

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 10:45 PM

This one is very reproducable.

I tend to have many other programs going, and occasionally switch to things like mail, ICQ or iChat every so often.  If I keep it quick, Rush Hour keeps working, but if I stay out for more then about 30 seconds, and switch back to Rush Hour, then actually do something (click for info, or try to place road or zone) it will "hang"

notes:

1) "hang" spinning coloured wheel, and LoadInDock (cpu monitor) shows a slight spike when the hang first occurs, followed by the Load changing from a normal User process to what LoadInDock calls "Nice" (in my LoadInDock settings, the colour for System, User and "Nice" cpu loads are all different)

2) when I switch out for a minute or more then switch back, I can zoom in and out, as well as pan around the area as much as I want, it does not hang until I try to do something.

3) there is another "hang" that happens after it's been running for a while, and I have not switched to other programs, remained playing Rush Hour the entire time.

The game other then these couple of things has been working great.  I have not had a full out crash of the game where the game actually quits.  When it hangs, I have to force quit it, then I can run it again, and pick up from where I last saved.

as with many things computer related I'm just saving often, but I hope if this happening to more people, that my description of the problem may help someone create a fix.

So technically my CPU is under the "requirement" of 700 MHz, but the game performs well enough for me to enjoy it greatly.  I do not know if this might be causing this hang.

#5 BMarsh

BMarsh

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 02:25 AM

not sure if this will help at all, but when Rush Hour hangs, all sound cuts out immediately.

no distortion or repeating sounds, just "dead air"

noticable because while doing anything else, there is always some sound.

(only other possible thing of note that I can think of, lately I've been running it with it's own music off, but this kind of thing happened even when I had it playing music)

#6 BMarsh

BMarsh

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 03:49 PM

I see today that they released a patch for the Radeon 9000 (8500 & 9200) bug

hopefully one of the programmers will discover the freezing problem that some of us are.

I don't think it's general video-card, because my entire GUI doesn't freeze, just the game.