14 replies to this topic

#1 Rubel

Rubel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 06:41 PM

The good folks over at the Bioware forums have hashed class combinations out to an extreme.

Looking at some of the suggestions, I think my next run through will be as a Scout/Guardian, rather than a Soldier/Guardian. I'll lose 2 to my attack bonus, a feat or two, and a few hit points. In exchange, my Dark Side warrior will be able to fully exploit the coolness that is HK-47, since I'll max out my Repair.

Lots of ways to play this game.
I left my heart in Port Montyhaul.

#2 MadMatt

MadMatt

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 09:31 AM

You're describing my character so far, except for the darkside thing. I repair everything that I see, and it has made fights quite a bit easier...

I haven't taken the time to really analyze the character that Im building. Im just sort of going with the flow. Im sure that I could come up with a more effective character if I were to take the time, but this is my first time through the game.

#3 Rubel

Rubel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 10:59 AM

Yeah, I feel a little lame concentrating on various ways to be badass...but I figure it's more about looking at the alternate ways to play. I'm looking forward to trying out your Repair-heavy character type. Also, my Consular has encountered a few times when he just gets made into Bantha Chowder. A Guardian is starting to sound fun.

#4 Shadowdancer

Shadowdancer

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 12:39 PM

Meh, working all that stuff out detracts from role-playing and leads into power gaming.  I hate it when people do that stuff on RP servers in NWN

#5 MadMatt

MadMatt

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 02:58 PM

Yeah, I feel a little lame concentrating on various ways to be badass...but I figure it's more about looking at the alternate ways to play. I'm looking forward to trying out your Repair-heavy character type. Also, my Consular has encountered a few times when he just gets made into Bantha Chowder. A Guardian is starting to sound fun.

My scout eventually became a scout/guardian, but I got my butt handed to me several times in the early portion of the game. Although that may have been more of a matter of me not having figured out the game than any design flaw in my character. At the moment, not much can stand up to my light saber.

I may start looking at a character combination that gives me more of an opportunity to use persuasion a little bit more. Currently I can fix things and I can kill things, but I'd like to be able to talk to them every once and awhile.

Matt

#6 MadMatt

MadMatt

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 03:00 PM

Meh, working all that stuff out detracts from role-playing and leads into power gaming.  I hate it when people do that stuff on RP servers in NWN

Fortunately, this is a single player game. We can all do whatever we like in the game, and you'll never have to deal with us. Well, you'll never have to deal with us unless we start threads like this one and talk about character design.

But I admit that mini-maxing (as I call it) can be a pain in the butt for all types of multiplayer RPG's, both NWN type and pen and paper.

Matt

#7 Rubel

Rubel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 07:28 PM

Meh, working all that stuff out detracts from role-playing and leads into power gaming.

I see what you mean...I'm in it for the emotional and rational thrill of the story and the world. I just like to see my Jedi doing well. And as MadMatt said, it's a different game depending you have lots of Repair or Persuade. My Consular can't talk his way out of everything, but I like being able to convince folks to do things they might not otherwise do. Great way to get Light Side points...I bet it's also a great way to get Dark Side points :evilgrin:

#8 MadMatt

MadMatt

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 07:47 PM

My Consular can't talk his way out of everything, but I like being able to convince folks to do things they might not otherwise do. Great way to get Light Side points...I bet it's also a great way to get Dark Side points.

Your Consular can't talk his way out of everything, and my Guardian can't talk his way out of anything. Since I'm trying to stick to the light side, I can't even resort to letting my light saber do the talking all that often.

I really should have avoided putting points into demolitions and gotten a few points of persuasion...

Matt

#9 Rubel

Rubel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 07:52 PM

Yep. You'll have to play it all over again.

#10 MadMatt

MadMatt

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 07:34 PM

Actually, I've been adding persuasion over the past couple of levels, but I think that it is too little too late at this point.

People still laugh at me when I try to convince them of something, but they're not laughing as hard now.

Matt

#11 The_O

The_O

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 01:09 PM

Actually, I've been adding persuasion over the past couple of levels, but I think that it is too little too late at this point.

People still laugh at me when I try to convince them of something, but they're not laughing as hard now.

Matt

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

yeah right

:lol:

#12 Rubel

Rubel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 02:01 PM

Did you get Affect Mind, MadMatt? I skipped it since I have my huge Persuade skill and Charisma. But it sounds like much fun!

#13 petey700

petey700

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 04:39 PM

Did you get Affect Mind, MadMatt? I skipped it since I have my huge Persuade skill and Charisma. But it sounds like much fun!

I don't understand how affect mind in a light side skill yet most of the time you use it you get a dark side shift. Maybe the Sith have the right idea...
Dwight Shrute: "The showing of teeth is a sign of submission among primates. Everytime somebody smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for mercy."

#14 Rubel

Rubel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 04:51 PM

Nah, it's a "Universal" skill, available without bonus or penalty to both Light and Dark.

I think you're just using it in a Dark-Side kinda way! Be like Obi Wan, and help folks quit smoking.

#15 MadMatt

MadMatt

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 01:07 AM

Yeah, I had effect mind. You've got to be careful when using it or you'll pick up some dark side points.

I just finished the game, and I managed to persuade exactly two people during the entire game. Of course, they were both rather critical people, so I can't complain very much. I didn't realize that persuade was a Jedi Guardian skill, so I didn't put points into it until very late in the game.

I could have had reasonable persuade, instead I had a really good repair and a pretty good demolitions. I think that I'll skip the demolitions next time, and try for more persuade.

Matt