84 replies to this topic

#41 iGreg

iGreg

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 11:21 AM

Actually, I have an optical Kensington mouse with 4 buttons and an excellent scroll wheel and it doesn't make anything easier.

My list of bad games recently released is really long. What amazes me is the good reviews so many of these bad games get. I bought Homeworld2 based on Mac magazine and online reviews, & I think those who wrote such good reviews are all wet.

Call of Duty is the only recent game I still play.

Overall, I see nothing that beats Call of Duty, StarCraft, and Civilization III. I've tried most of them & wasted a lot of money doing it.

#42 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 09:54 PM

i guess Homeworld2 isn't your cup of tea then :o  i myself can't stand starcraft/warcraft.
"Nothing here but us text"

#43 RAF++

RAF++

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 02:43 AM

Starcraft, still the best game ever.
Hope they wont make SC2 too warcraftish...

#44 Gafgarion

Gafgarion

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1418 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 03:32 AM

Starcraft, still the best game ever.
Yes, assuming you haven't played any other RTS games. Starcraft isn't even the best game in the RTS genre, how could it ever hope to be the 'best game ever'?

As my dear Mac-hating friend once said "Starcraft? You'd think no other RTS had ever been released on the Mac." (of course I had respond "Counter-Strike? You'd think no other FPS had ever been released on the PC." but that's going a little off-topic).

Hope they wont make SC2 too warcraftish...

Umm but Starcraft IS Warcraftish.

#45 Mookiteo

Mookiteo

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 11:46 AM

I'm playing and immensly enjoying HW2 on my 800mhz iMac with 32 meg GF2 (on lowest settings). Recently, I went and dowloaded some early videos of HW2 on IGN and the game with the all the graphic bells and whistles turned up just looks amazing.   Anyone out there playing with all the effects (or most) turned up?  If so on what hardware and hows performance?

#46 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 01:17 PM

Netgaming is broken? Sigh.

Also, another patch issue is RESETTING MY MOUSE SETTINGS THANK YOU. Ahem. Sorry bout that. Seriously though, I jumped into some Halo afterwards, and I was like "why can't I aim? It's so sluggish today." Then I played some more HW2, and then I remembered that silly bug. Gah.

Netgaming isn't broken, but it's very particular about your firewall/router settings.  We're investigating whether we can make that work more smoothly in the code, but I don't believe we've found anyone who couldn't get net play to work once they'd configured their firewall/router properly.

We've investigated the mouse settings bug and can't reproduce it.  Do you have a Apple standard mouse or another brand?  Are you using any kind of third party mouse drivers or extensions that might make the mouse behave differently?  The game saves the mouse settings on start and restores them on quit, and it works that way on all of the mice we've tried it with here, so we need to figure out if it's a mouse driver or something that causes this to happen so we can fix it.

Thanks,
Glenda
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#47 Heropsychodreamer

Heropsychodreamer

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 04:41 PM

My friend has got the same problem with HW2.
Both the internet play problem and the mouse issue.
We tried with shutting down a Firewall but it didn't help also.
He's got 56k dial-up connection and Apple Pro mouse (not BlueTooth).

#48 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 07:59 PM

for somereason, the mouse bug seems to have gone away... not sure when that happened, or maybe i've just gotten used to it.  However, i know it happened the first few times i played.  I'm using a Logitech MX300 with no mouse drivers (of any kind) installed.

I don't suppose someone from Aspyr could shed some light on mod support (or lack there of) for HM2?
"Nothing here but us text"

#49 bkendig

bkendig

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 05:23 AM

I'm using a MacAlly iSweetNet mouse (two-button with scroll wheel, the old ball kind of mouse, not the optical kind).

If I unplug the mouse then launch Homeworld 2 (via a LaunchBar launcher key shortcut), then plug the mouse back in when the Homeworld 2 menu is up, mouse tracking is nice and peppy - much quicker than it normally is in the game. But then when I exit, it gets slowed way down.

I tried unplugging the mouse and relying entirely on Mouse Keys (from the Universal Access control panel) to see what would happen with the tracking, but Homeworld 2 ignores mouse keys.

#50 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 03:36 PM

He's got ... Apple Pro mouse (not BlueTooth).
Ouch! i can't imagine playing HW2 with a single button mouse and no scroll wheel! :D

For you people having trouble with mouse speed getting reset... are any of you using MS Intellimouse drivers or are you all using apple's built in stuff?

#51 Tirinal

Tirinal

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 07:37 PM

Glenda, I don't suppose you know when the fix will come along that addresses the nVidia driver bug? My copy of HW2 is already shipping and I'm kind of apprehensive after seeing how bad the demo ran.

Thanks. :)

#52 Ishmoo

Ishmoo

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 10:34 PM

Hmm, I'll check for games again on GR and see if people are playing. Given that I'm on a college network, not much I can do about router/firewall if that's the issue, but every game I've tried plays fine.

Re: the mouse thing, yea, it's stopped doing it here too. Maybe  it's because I left Sys Prefs open? Not sure. Perhaps Aspyr people could investigate whether a fresh install exhibits the problem and then not subsequently? For reference, mine's the Microsquish Bluetooth Wireless (5 button/scroll wheel).

Almost done with the campaign too and loving it!

#53 Dimpfinator

Dimpfinator

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 12:45 AM

If y'all are still willing to read another:

Homeworld 2 Review

Firstoff, Homeworld 2 is not everyone’s game. FPS games tend to be an addrennaline filled game, or at least punctuated by moments of “Oh, ****!” This is not that kind of game. Nor is it another Warcraft III, full of clicking. This game relies much more on strategic decisions, such as “should I break formation to cover my collectors as their bombers make small dents, but their lance fighters could pick my gunships apart,” versus “Hold formation, order collectors to fall back to my battle group.” It’s a much more cinematic, intelectual game than most videogames.

Gameplay: Homeworld was phenomenon. Homeworld 2 takes the same atmosphere of Homeworld 1, and adds innumberable features, mostly good. Let me begin by naming some of the original Homeworld’s flaws:

It took a lot of micromanagement, to get all your various strike groups to do the right things, in a coordinated manner. If you even remembered in the heat of battle what the group numbers were in the first place...

It was also frustrating having to leave the main viewscreen to decide on new ships to build, as well as the lauch manager and research manager

Ships sent back to dock would come back when you began issuing new commands to that group.

In Homeworld 2, many of these issues have been thouroughly taken care of. Namely, there is a reticle at the bottom of your screen showing which group numbers have been used (I know it doesn’t sound that great, but it helps greatly) as well as another part of the reticle which shows the ships that are selected. You can also assign ships to more than one group. For instance, you can assign interceptors to group 1, bombers to group 2, and so forth, up to 5. Group 6 you can assign as your “armada” group, and issue one order, which will organise the ships according to class. This is to say that you can have a figher  screen, where the fighers are first to go out to combat, or you can set them into a frigate line, or even a capital phalanx. If this is sounding too technical, think of it as a great way to combine a number of groups into 1 group with greater striking power, because they are coordinating themselves. Basically, the Admiral gives up command of the measly fighters, and has begun giving commands to entire strike groups of many ship types, who go about the business that they were designed for. Interceptors for mop up, bombers for frigate killing, etc.

The build, research, and lauch managers are no longer screens of their own, but have become a sort of tactical overlay that is easy to cycle through and get rid of, as it takes up about 1/4 to 1/3 of your screen.

Finally, ships, once they have been ordered to dock go to the dock, unless you issue a direct order to that particular ship/wing to do otherwise.

This game improves drastically on many other strategy games, in the sheer strategy elements. No more 200 APM (actions per minute) kinds of things, but now in order to win, you must decide what tactics to set your fleets to, and what strike group formations to use. Sometimes, it can be better to sit back, and see where your fleet is failing, and then proceed to shore up that failing than to immediately dive into the action, forsaking the difference between a risk and a gamble.

Graphics: Flight has long been a subject of daydreams, and has in more recent history turned to daydreams about spaceflight. Well, you need look no farther. Homeworld 2 can zoom you out so that fighter wings have to be marked by a sqare so you know they’re there, and you can zoom in to the point that you can immediately follow in their wakes, following every turn of the dogfight. I reccomend turning off all the lights, turning up the sound, and let the ambience of the game carry away. More on sound later. Explosions are large, bright, and generally incredible. I reccomend zooming out from that flailing carrier before it finally kicks the bucket, because your whole screen will go a mixture of white, orange, and red if you don’t. Epilepsy afflicted people beware. Also, ships don’t always immediately explode when their HP reach 0, but sometimes careen off into space a ways before finally exploding, or are rocked by multiple explosions before erupting in a ball of fire. The “whoa...” effect has a strong presence in this game. Also, the mission backdrops are incedible, and full of nebulae, enormous derelicts, moons, dust clouds, and more.

Following individual ships around the battlefield is also an incredible experience, as the hum of the engines of strike craft, followed by the roar of guns, and zooming low over the surface of a capital ship can be an exhilerating experience. I reccomend it.

Detail on the actual models is phenomenal, also. It gets down to the very nitty-gritty, adding ridges on vents, and decals and warning signs on the hulls of even the lowly scouts. Homeworld insignias are also detailed onto all of the ships, and the models themselves are very nice looking.

Cutscenes are done in the old Homeworld style, and are extemely impressive. For those who haven’t seen them, they are a black and white hand-drawn sort of cutscene, and do a lot to set the mood for the game. Also, they have a couple instances of going straight from a cutscene to the actual game, like a crossfade between the two. Very impressive. Also, there are lengthy ingame “cutscenes” that illustrate the action, and also help set the mood.

Sound: As is to be expected, the ingame ambient music is excellent, and follows a Arabic theme. I will explain more along this Arabic bit later. The ingame chatter between ships is also a great mood setter, and varys depending on how the situation is at the moment. If you are winning, you’ll hear confident voices saying “let’s finish this” etc., however, if you are losing, you’ll hear reports of this. Also, these audio messages serve to let you know that a certain task group somewhere else has completed mopping up with a “Group 2 reports victory” sort of thing, and makes it easy to give new orders all around, and not leave anyone out. Also, rally points have been introduced, which makes it easier to not leave out newly built ships, though it can make it easier to leave them out of assiged groups.

Story: I can’t talk too much about what happens, because I don’t want to spoil it for you, but the entire story is based off of the desert-culture (of the Hiigarans, who came back to Hiigara (Homeworld) from exile in the original Homeworld), and incorporates many new terms, such as the Sajuuk-Khar (chosen one), and talks about a lot of prophecies and such. It fits with the original concept of the game well, but some may say that it brings too much religion into the mix. Personally, I think it works well with the concept, though it certainly could have been done differently.

Voice acting is also good, and they took care to make sure that the quiet, somber voices announcing new plot twists carried some weight, and emotion behind them.

Multiplayer: Can’t say too much, as I haven’t had time to try it yet. The single player can be hard, unless you are prepared to withdraw, and try again, and again. Taking a step back from the action can be extremely helpful in gaining new insight. I say this because I haven’t finished the single player yet, as I’ve only had it for 2 days.

What do I reccomend for gameplay?

3 botton mouse, right off the bat. It’ll save you a lot of time reaching up to zoom in and out as well as clicks and button pushes trying to rotate the camera. Don’t believe me? Try it for yourself.

Decent system. I’ve got a 1ghz eMac, and that works great. However, my Powerbook OSX.3.5 has some trouble with it, due to some sort of graphics card incompatability. It plays really slowly, and stuff. Bah. If I find out a fix, I’ll be sure to post it here.

Big monitor, good speakers, or good headphones, lightswitch. Make sure the lightswitch is on the off position. If you require some light to see your keyboard, use a small desk lamp. Be sure to follow a wing of ships around the action every once and a while for an almost cinematic experience.

Have fun, whatever you do. Then again, this may not be your kind of game...

.../me wonders if anybody is reading this... :P

~Dimpfinator

#54 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 03:07 PM

Glenda, I don't suppose you know when the fix will come along that addresses the nVidia driver bug? My copy of HW2 is already shipping and I'm kind of apprehensive after seeing how bad the demo ran.  

Thanks. :)

As soon as Apple releases 10.3.6 :)  I don't really have any info on when that might but I don't think it will be a really long time.

Glenda
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#55 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 13 October 2004 - 04:00 PM

He's got ... Apple Pro mouse (not BlueTooth).
Ouch! i can't imagine playing HW2 with a single button mouse and no scroll wheel! :D

For you people having trouble with mouse speed getting reset... are any of you using MS Intellimouse drivers or are you all using apple's built in stuff?

I'm only playing the demo, but am having the mouse reset speed problems. I'm using a Logitech Click! Optical Mouse but no software, just the OSX as it works fine just plug and play.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#56 Player5

Player5

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 08:53 PM

Anybody know anything about the status of the demo? I'm really loving the sound of this game, and I want to try it out, as I'm not half enough of a hardcore gamer to go buy it now with no trial. that and I REALLY want to get to play it.

(If the demo's out, forgive my moronicness... I've been watching the news, but it may have slipped by me or something.)

EDIT: lol, i'm a moron, i suppose... checked macgamefiles 5 minutes after posting...

yay

*turns lights off*

#57 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 11:38 PM

We're investigating whether we can make that work more smoothly in the code, but I don't believe we've found anyone who couldn't get net play to work once they'd configured their firewall/router properly.

How is a router supposed to be set up for the game? Even after setting my machine to DMZ I couldn't host (or for that matter join).

#58 Ishmoo

Ishmoo

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 11:40 PM

Just finished the SP campaign. Lots of fun. Missions 13 and 14 were in fact harder than 12, which was not what I expected after hearing all about this amazingly bad mission 12 everywhere. The debris clouds left were amazing, as were my losses. At one point I was down to my dreadnaught and two battlecruisers - normally I could at least keep some, if not all of my destroyers alive, but not this time! Now it's time to hone my skills in vs. CPU mode, I think. Whee!

#59 Dimpfinator

Dimpfinator

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 12:10 AM

I'm using the Macally RFMouseJr to play HW2, and it works fine, and doesn't get slow after I quit. However, my normal Apple Mouse does get slow after playing (I stick it up above my mousepad while I play). I have to agree though, level 12 wasn't half as hard as I expected. I had just beat lv 12 without knowing it was 12, and was waiting to start lv 12, anticipating the worst, and lo and behold! I was on 13! :P

Also, I made a few new HW2 icons, because Aspyr did a below par job with theirs. Seriously, a small shadow under the Hiigaran insignia would have done the job. Here's the icons. Note a couple are from the original Homeworld.

[edit: I was at the apple store the other day, and I asked about 10.3.6's release, and they said it was in the works, but they didn't know more.... bah.[/edit]

~Dimpfinator

#60 von Leysing

von Leysing

Fanatic

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 05:05 AM

I am very disappointed in HW2. It is very difficult to control and move stuff. Zooming is clunky. No fun at all.

Another $50 down the drain.

P.S. It used an installer, is there any special way to uninstall it, or is simply trashing its folder enough?

Yup same here :sad: