84 replies to this topic

#21 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 04:35 PM

How are multiplayer games set up and joined? Does it have some sort of built in way to find games? Or do you have to type in addresses manually?
multiplayer games are played through gameranger.  However, i haven't tried it online yet, so i don't know hos that's like.  I haven't seen any games played either, so far.

In looking at Relic's site I noticed the sheer numbers of units available. Do you really get the chance to build all those different types of ships, especially some of the utility ships, or is the combat so fast you just build 2 or 3 or 4 units in mass and try to rush the computer ala Warcraft III?
nope, you get to build all the ships.  The Tech tree is kinda unique, so if u wanted to, u could almost build a destroyer from the start.  If you played Homeworld 1, the speed is about the same, probably a little bit faster.  But it's deffenitley more chaotic at times and can be hard to keep up with when you have all sorts of fighters and corvettes wizzing left and right and u'r trying to direct your frigates and capital ships at the enemies larger ships.  Sometimes you just have to sit back and watch the battle unfold before you.
"Nothing here but us text"

#22 dsl1

dsl1

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 09:27 PM

[quote]
Two people near the top of the thread said they couldn't get the game to run under 10.3.5 (which may have nothing to do with the game not running). How about asking them for crash logs or sending them to your support people instead of focusing on their wording.[/quote]doesn't anyone read the troubleshooting forum?  :-  I figured out that Unsanity's ShapeShifter haxie was causing some conflict (atleast for me), so after having Shapeshifter exclude Homeworld 2 from it's list, everything works fine.

So far i'm having a blast, playig space commander is alot of fun :).  The difficulty of the game is a welcome challenge for me, the story is great and so are the graphics, even if they are on low (i can play just fine on max resolution though).[/quote]

I reinstalled several times and it finally worked on one of them. Go figure but atleast it is working.

#23 Arenzera

Arenzera

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 05:11 AM

How does it perform on ppls machines? How do u think it'll run on my iBook (see specs below).

TIA!

Kiel :-)

#24 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 06:37 AM

it runs great on my 800mhz iMac G4, 512 RAM, 32mb GeForce 4MX.  I have everything low, except for fog of war and my resolution is maxed to 1400x900.  It runs pretty smooth most of the time and still looks great.  Only in some really intense battles do things begin to really slow down.  Sometimes LOD and texture quality will drop severly to try and remedy this, but i don't mind.  It seems to be alot more GPU dependent than CPU, so i guess the better the card, the better looking the game.

#25 bkendig

bkendig

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 03:18 PM

It runs terrific on my G5/1.8 under 10.3.5, also.

The only problem I've noticed is that it resets my mouse speed. Before launching Homeworld my mouse is quick and peppy; after quitting Homeworld my mouse is slow. It resets the tracking speed in the "Keyboard & Mouse" system preferences to the fourth notch from the left.

Easy enough to go back into System Preferences and make my mouse faster again; it's just a nuisance.

The game itself is a terrific port, and looks beautiful on the Mac. It's a fairly complex space combat simulator, requiring micromanagement of resources and mission goals. I think the story's a little weaker than the original Homeworld (it seems like more of the same, and not introduced as well) but the gameplay is just as fun.

#26 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 04:54 PM

yea, i have the mouse problem too, kinda annoying :-

#27 zapranoth

zapranoth

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 05:12 PM

My review, in a word:  wow.

The camera controls are challenging to learn.  Reminds me of the first few days of playing the first Myth, ya know?

But it's just a gorgeous game, and it's FUN.  Excellent port, too.. I haven't had a problem thus far, except the mouse speed reset thing which I find happens to me too.

No problems at all, running on 10.3.5 on a dual 2.5.  =)

- Z
"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard, and floor it.
Floor it.  That's technical talk."   - SRV

#28 bih

bih

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 11:03 PM

The game is running well (25 fps or so) on my friend's iBook G4, but it runs horribly (5-10fps when any objects are on screen) on my Powerbook G4 12inch 1GHz.

Anyone else?

#29 EyceNine

EyceNine

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 06:28 AM

Beautiful game, Beautiful port im totally addicted..

BUT... Multiplayer doesnt work

Lan games work but any ip connections dont work.

no router , no firewall and no one i know (about 8 i have spoken to so far) has had it working yet.

#30 Ishmoo

Ishmoo

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 04:17 PM

Any thoughts on how it would do on a TiBook 800 MHz, 768 RAM, 32 MB ATI something card? I played the original HW demo on the PC side and loved it, and the HW space-strategy concept has always appealed to me. Sys reqs put me right at the bottom except for the RAM. I am actually building a PC right now which could run it, but supporting Aspyr would be nice (and I think I have the HD space to squeeze one more game on here - man I need a new Mac!).

#31 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 06:09 PM

the game should run fine.  You will have hitches here and there (level 6 + 7 might be really slow) but otherwise it'll be very playable.  And you only need 900 mbs of disk space :o

#32 blackphoenix

blackphoenix

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 08:58 AM

Any thoughts on how it would do on a TiBook 800 MHz, 768 RAM, 32 MB ATI something card? I played the original HW demo on the PC side and loved it, and the HW space-strategy concept has always appealed to me. Sys reqs put me right at the bottom except for the RAM. I am actually building a PC right now which could run it, but supporting Aspyr would be nice (and I think I have the HD space to squeeze one more game on here - man I need a new Mac!).

I'm playing it on a 1GHz eMac and it runs perfect. No slowdowns, great performance.

#33 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 05:54 PM

EDIT - probably alot of spelling/grammer errors, but i'm not gonna re-read this ;)

I just finished Homeworld 2 today and so i think it's time i give my view on the game.

Story
Homeworld 2 builds nicely from where the first game left off (but set quite some time later).  The former Taidann, now known as the Vaygr, have started ravaging Hiigara and her allies.  The new (and fully completed) Mothership flees from their blockaded Homeworld and goes on an journey to recover the 3 cores and resurrect Sajuuk.
Like it's predecessor, the story is told through beatiful animated cutscenes aswell as well as ingame sequences, all directed and rendered very well.  However the story is noticeably weaker in some areas than the first game and some things are confusing or not explained well, but it doesn't subtract from the experience and is only a minor "problem", if a problem at all.

Graphics
The graphics are rendered very beatifully no matter what option setting u have set.  I was surprised at how well it ran on my 800mhz iMac, 32mb vRAM and 512 RAM.  The dynamic LOD and dynamic texture stuff helps alot since the ships have good amount of detail on them, so the game will always try to run as fast as it can.  My favorite part of the graphics are the backdrops, the vibrant colors and strange scenery.

Sound
The sound in this game really brings it to life.  The zaps and wooshes of the lasers and missles, the roar and steady humms of fighters and ships, the chatter of the pilots.  So far I haven't tired of hearing the voices in the game, even though i've heard them over and over.  my main complaint is that many of the pilots never sound concerned or anything, a lack of emotion when they're going down with their vessels.
The soundtrack of this game is what really drives this game, just as it did in the first game.  The soundtrack is as equally as amazing as it was before.  I gotta get the soundtrack sometime...

Gameplay
the core of the game, the gameplay.  Your mothership is the core of your fleet which can build just about every type ship, aside from Shipyards and BattleCruisers.  You use resource collectors to harvest asteriods which are then used to build your fleet, just like many other RTS games out there, pretty standard.  However, your mothership, carriers and Shipyard can't just suddenly  build a ship w/o the proper facilities, so you have to build a module for that class of ship (fighters, corvettes, firgates, (super) capital ships, non-combat).  Most vessels you won't need to research (it be kinda dumb if the mothership, core of Hiigaren fleet, didn't know how to build an interceptor) however some ships will need additional modules (like Advanced Research module and Hyperspace module) to be built.  You can also research better armor and better engines for your vessels.  The tech tree is pretty simple, nothing complex here, and it works well.
The camera and movement in 100% 3D space may take some time getting used to, but once you pick it up, it's fairly easy to use and is essetial in commanding your fleet throughout 3D space.
Commanding your fleet is also fairly easy to do.  Select your ships, and click on the plan of space you want them to move to, or tell them to attack a target.  Once again, standard RTS commands.  However, you don't want to just command a mob of ships to go and attack a target, you'll want to organize them.  I organize my ships by ship class by using the number keys to assign a group a number.  You can select any number of ships and assign up to nine groups.  With the unused group numbers, I assign those keys to strike groups.  Strike groups replace the formations that where in Homeworld 1 (something i kinda miss in Homeworld 2, but isn't neccessary).  You can also assign behaviors to ships to determine how (non)aggressive they're allowed to be.  To be a good commander, you have to know how to use all of these features to comand your fleet effectively.
Another thing that is different that the first, is that fighters and corvettes are now built in squadrons, so no more hunting down for that stray cloaked fighter.
Units in the game fight with a simple rock, paper, scissor methode, and this is very apparent in the game.  This ensures that there is no "super" vessel in the game (although Battlecruisers are tough cookies).  This doesn't mean that an interceptor (anti-fighter) group won't do damage to a group of frigates, it'll just barely scratch them compared to an equal amount of bombers that would eat frigates alive.  Knowing the strengths and weaknesses of your ships will help you build and command an unstoppable fleet.  You will need to rely on all ship classes, all the time.  There is no Ship class that will rule them all. ;)
The AI in the game is not dumb, but it isn't smart either.  The levels are linear and the AI is scripted, but scriptd pretty well.  You will face tough challenges if you aren't propery prepared.
There is no difficulty setting to choose from when you start the game, rather there is a system that examines your fleet after each level, and organizes the enemy fleet so that it won't overwhelmingly difficult or a "cake walk".  I didn't find the game overwhelmingly challenging (not that it wasn't tough in some spots, ie: the proginator keepers), since i had built and managed my fleet rather well.  I also didn't find the game to be a micromanaging game as it was said to be, not that you don't have to watch your ships and not that i didn't use pause button everyonce in a while to reassess a situation.  It seems to be as difficult as the first game, to me atleast.  Basically, i don't think the dynamic difficulty system worked very well.
There isn't any reply value in playing the singleplayer again, but player vs. cpu and multiplayer skirmishes should add some to the game.  There are also plenty of mods, but i can't get any to work...  like the Star Wars one.

ok, i'm done typing.... wow

Overall, I enjoyed the game very much.  It's alot of fun and very worth getting, even if it's just for the story and music alone.

#34 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 October 2004 - 06:39 PM

I'm playing it on a 1GHz eMac and it runs perfect. No slowdowns, great performance.

This is really good news.  That is exactly what I have, but I'm still going to play the demo before deciding to purchase this one.  The posts have been encouraging.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#35 bkendig

bkendig

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 09:57 PM

I just finished the game today, too.

In short - get it for the gameplay, not for the story.

The gameplay of HW2 is very similar to that of the original HW. There are only two significant differences I can think off off the top of my head. One is the ability to group ships into strike forces which all move at the speed of their slower ship; this avoids the problem in HW where a group would get strung out and arrive at different times, being easily defeated by the enemy. The other is the ability to target cap ship subsystems, so that a carrier's production facilities can be destroyed more quickly than destroying the entire carrier.

On the PC, I wouldn't recommend HW2; since it's so similar to the original HW which is now in the bargain bins, I'd say save your money and stick with the original. But since HW2 is the first appearance of this genre on the Mac, I think it's worth it.

The story behind HW2 is weak at best. It's far too similar to that of the original HW, starting out with a hasty escape from a base under attack, and having every mission deal with an attack on some well-defended resource. The plot is thin, but since each mission briefing makes it abundantly clear what you're supposed to do, you don't need to pay attention to why you're supposed to do it.

One annoyance I had in HW2 was that missions end automatically as soon as you fulfill the mission requirements - fire that last shot to destroy such-and-such a base, and then not five seconds later it shows your ships all arranged neatly in a line, hyperspacing out. The original HW let you clean up after a battle and take a little time to rebuild your fleet, and allowed you to end the mission manually.

HW2, like HW, has no female voices other than the main character. It always kind of bugged me that Karen S'Jet seemed to be the only woman in the entire race.

HW2 will require that you save often. Missions are dynamic, meaning that the more ships you come into the mission with, the more ships the computer will have to throw against you; but enemy fleets always start in the same places and attack at the same times. Often I was surprised by an enemy attack on my mothership while my fleet was away chasing someone else down, so I had to go back to a savegame to defend against the attack.

The graphics are really nice, with the bright colors used to represent space. The sound effects are nice too - the radio chatter is a nice touch, and battle sounds can be heard when you zoom in on the action. Control is about as good as it can be for a 3D game played on a 2D screen, but it can be frustrating when ships (which mostly all look alike) get clumped together and it's difficult to get them to reposition into a clean-looking formation.

After I got the hang of frequent saves/reloads, it only took me a few days to get through all fifteen missions. Replay value is moderate, but it'll get a lot better if Aspyr can issue a patch to get the broken Internet gaming feature to work.

#36 Ishmoo

Ishmoo

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 10:15 PM

Netgaming is broken? Sigh.

Also, another patch issue is RESETTING MY MOUSE SETTINGS THANK YOU. Ahem. Sorry bout that. Seriously though, I jumped into some Halo afterwards, and I was like "why can't I aim? It's so sluggish today." Then I played some more HW2, and then I remembered that silly bug. Gah.

So far I'm getting into the SP campaign. Like people said, story is eh, but the settings and visuals are great so far. I haven't really seen the dynmaic difficulty in action yet, but I haven't been trying to cheat it. Also done a few CPU skirmishes on easy CPUs to get the hang of MP. One thing I notice is that the research/pacing seems a lot faster than other MP RTS games. My suspicion is that I'll prefer the Vaygr in MP, cause they have cool Fighters/Vettes (I actually won the first game with nothing larger than those, vs. frigates that the enemy had).

Oh, and performance? Great so far! 800 MHz TiBook, 768 RAM, 32 MB ATI card. Nice to see a modern, good looking game running so nicely on low-end hardware.

#37 iGreg

iGreg

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 02:23 AM

I am very disappointed in HW2. It is very difficult to control and move stuff. Zooming is clunky. No fun at all.

Another $50 down the drain.

P.S. It used an installer, is there any special way to uninstall it, or is simply trashing its folder enough?

#38 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 October 2004 - 06:01 AM

I am very disappointed in HW2. It is very difficult to control and move stuff. Zooming is clunky. No fun at all.

P.S. It used an installer, is there any special way to uninstall it, or is simply trashing its folder enough?

Trashing should be just fine... it is a Mac after all.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#39 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 07:48 AM

sorry you don't like it.  If you have a 2 button mouse with a scroll wheel, it should be rather easy.  I find that if i change my view so that i'm looking over my units like other RTS games, it's easier to move units.  Also, make sure the camera is on the same plane as the unit(s) you want to zoom in on, otherwise it can be a bit akward.  The best way is to option click, or press "f" with a selected ship, to set the camera to follow that ship (and re-orient the camera)

#40 bkendig

bkendig

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 11:01 AM

If you're having trouble with camera control, I recommend going through the training at least twice. It will eventually become kind of intuitive, but there are a lot of different camera control options to learn.

Even so, there were lots of times when I couldn't get the camera to do what I wanted.