dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 27 September 2004 - 04:40 PM

I'm eager to read comments by those who've had a chance to play HW2.  Well, what do you think?  Give us your complete analysis.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#2 dsl1

dsl1

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 05:48 PM

Well it doesnt run. It needs a patch to play in 10.3.5

#3 Mot

Mot

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 05:49 PM

Ouch

#4 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 06:08 PM

...the whole weekend i kept checking the fedex tracking, to see where it was.  I get home all excited, pop in the sucker, install, double click, click "play" and *boom*, my evening was shot.  I just don't understand how this wasn't caught earlier :-
"Nothing here but us text"

#5 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 27 September 2004 - 06:16 PM

...the whole weekend i kept checking the fedex tracking, to see where it was.  I get home all excited, pop in the sucker, install, double click, click "play" and *boom*, my evening was shot.  I just don't understand how this wasn't caught earlier :-

Oh man, that is...not good.  Definitely a buz killer.  But, it'll be fixed.  Uh, anyone running 10.3.4 or other?   :wink:
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#6 Shadowdancer

Shadowdancer

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 08:35 PM

I believe this quote from anybody who's played CS seems in order:  GAYED!

#7 Elberon

Elberon

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 10:36 PM

It started up just fine on my computer, running 10.3.5. Granted I've only had time to go through half the first tutorial mission, but everything's been working perfectly for me. Unless the problem you had happened after this point?

#8 Rubel

Rubel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 11:45 PM

My Windows-usin' buddy loved it to pieces. He loved the previous two, as well, so he might not be the most objective.
I left my heart in Port Montyhaul.

#9 Macster

Macster

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 10:21 AM

Well here goes my attempt at reviewing this beast...I will keep it brief so as not to bore you all to death.

I am dividing the game into some standard categories, I guess; Story Presentation, Graphics, Gameplay, Overall Fun Factor.

Story Presentation: Well in one word: Top-notch. The narrator for the opening cutscene is an excellent orator(good writers on the script) The ensuing cut scenes (one after every mission) are done as an illustrative narrative with 2-d animation and some 3-d work masterfully blended together. You fill the galactic scale of this game from the first shot and that does not end...ever. The story itself begs you to rough it out to see what happens in the campaign. I won't give too much away for those that will get into the whole HW culture, but suffice to say it is a bit akin to star wars with one faction trying to overcome a suppresor culture. I rate this an A+ on Presentation and production value.

Graphics(heck sound too): Quite possibly the best Ive seen on a strategy game in a looooong time. While the vastness of the battle arena (space) will keep you mostly in radar mode when playing and moving, once your units are in strike position you will be awed by the individual level of detail on each and every ship type. From the engine trails of the fighters to the flak clouds produced by your frigates...INTENSE will be the word most often used to describe the battles and the units. Add to that an awesome score (a kinda techno-indian-drummy sound) and you'll feel the intensity even more. That and like alot of games of this type unit interaction makes the experience more lucid. The units talk like military units...professional military units. The battle chatter from the lowly resource collector to the largest capital ships is specially neat. It may get old quick for some but this is a space force and a well disciplined. I for one never got tired or "engaging enemy units" "I've been hit" "We're taking heavy fire" "Enemy units neutralized" "All hands prepare to *crakle* *static* *explosion**static*"

Great stuff. I rate the graphics and A+

Gameplay: Well the gameplay is simplistic in execution. Units will naturally and automatically attack the units they are best suited to dispose of quickly, unless you direct them to attack something else. You will have a vast arsenal at your disposal and knowing that some tedious micro management like that has been automated is good news. Now don't misunderstand that to mean the game will be easy...IT IS NOT EASY. It is one of the most difficult RTS games I've picked up in a long while but with challenge comes satisfaction specially if you succeed. Heck even failure is good, as you learn from your mistakes and devise better ways in which to attack your foes. Some unit instructions may seem odd at first and the game unit producition menu will be counter intuitive at first, but once you get past the novel control scheme specially for unit production you will become quite ruthless with it.

The downside is that the learning curve is steep both for unit types to use and deployment methods to adopt. The single player campaign is difficult and does not give you much flex room tactically speaking...in most cases you can only win by following one strategy. Vs games agains the computer are equally non engaging in this regard...you must outdo your computer opponent in every regard...aggression will carry the day here 99.9% of the time for the vs pc mode.

The multiplayer is too basic to even bother with was my take on it. Only six or so simultaneous users and all using the strike first or die tactic...fun huh?

So the steep learning curve alone and difficulty lvl force me to bump game play down to a B-

Overall Fun Factor: Welp overall you will have fun while you play. I mean non stop fun if this is the type of game you are into. But the sad thing is once you beat... you are done that is it. The weaker alternative modes of play aside from the campaign are weak by my estimate very weak and won't grab at you to play some more. If you are a rts-aholic you will beat this game in a week or two. If you play casually it will take you much longer as you fine tune your strategies over time.

If this is not your type of game...welp then this one won't convert you unless you are thirsting to take command of a space fleet complete with a mothership just for giggles.

I rate the fun factor as a combination of the other categories, the engaging nature of the campaign and gameplay will have you hooked, but once you beat...you may not come back for seconds: B+

#10 petey700

petey700

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 03:02 PM

Macster, thanks for the great review. Maybe IMG will ask you to write for them in the future. Could you give us your system specs and any performance comments/suggestions?

(edited once to correct name, edited a second time to correct first edit. This is not my day.)
Dwight Shrute: "The showing of teeth is a sign of submission among primates. Everytime somebody smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for mercy."

#11 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 10:16 PM

The game was extensively tested under 10.3.5 aqnd runs fine- where did you get the information it needs a patch to run under 10.3.5?

Glenda
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#12 Jard

Jard

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 10:44 PM

First and foremost thanks be to aspyr for porting this game.  I almost bought a PC to play the first one.

Story: A
The story is told with a narration that seems better suited to a documentary, and the animated 2-d artwork that makes up the non-engine cut scenes is magnificent.  The story really ties the whole thing together.

Graphics:A+
The graphics ran surprisingly well on my stock dual 1.25 G4.  Compared to C&C generals there where hardly any slow downs, and I did not notice any performance hits during even the most intense battles.

Sound:A-
The voices from the ships are what you would expect from a trained fighting force, professional and to the point.  It would have been nice to have some more diversity in radio chatter but I can appreciate what is there. Also my girlfriend is really sick of hearing "frigate lost" so watch out for others being driven insane as you play the game.

Game play:A
I will admit that this game is one of the most difficult games I have played in a while.  There is no difficulty setting, the level of difficulty of each level is changed depending on how well you did in the previous level and which ships you have at the end of each level.  This can make some of the latter levels quite vexing.  Also re-playability could be a bit of an issue for some.  There is a player vs. cpu mode that is fun for those offline and your standard internet play for when you want to beat down on an other human.  I will say that the last mission of the game was a bit of a let down for me, you go through a lot of hard work to get to that point and after you complete the first incredibly difficult objective there is no chance to go around and blow things up.:-D

Final thoughts:
In a couple of different ways this game reminded me of C&C generals but with a much cleaner interface and better looking units and game play.

If you like RTS games at all I think you owe it to yourself to buy this game.

Overall: A

One more thing:Has anyone experimented with mods for the game yet.  I went out and found one at here, specifically the homeworld classic rebalance mod.  But when I instal it and run HW2 it just crashes back to my desktop, with an error log that reeks of a null pointer.  ideas, suggestions?

#13 Michael Yanovich

Michael Yanovich

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 02:44 AM

The game was extensively tested under 10.3.5 aqnd runs fine-

I'm with Glenda on this one. Been running on my 10.3.5 system just fine.

#14 Macster

Macster

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 06:08 AM

Macster, thanks for the great review. Maybe IMG will ask you to write for them in the future. Could you give us your system specs and any performance comments/suggestions?

(edited once to correct name, edited a second time to correct first edit. This is not my day.)

hmmm... I should have qualifyed my review by stating that my experience is based on gameplay on my "toy" windoze box. None of the 4 Macs I currently own can run this game =( Assuming the port was done correctly, however, the core gaming experience should be the same. I noticed from another reviewer here that our impressions are fairly identical.

#15 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 08:55 AM

The game was extensively tested under 10.3.5 aqnd runs fine- where did you get the information it needs a patch to run under 10.3.5?

Two people near the top of the thread said they couldn't get the game to run under 10.3.5 (which may have nothing to do with the game not running). How about asking them for crash logs or sending them to your support people instead of focusing on their wording.

#16 Tirinal

Tirinal

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 11:36 AM

Glenda, any news on when the demo will be released? I have the PC version so I know what to expect in terms of gameplay, but I'm curious as to how it would run on my PB before I run out and buy a new copy. Thanks. :)

Oh, and for those who are willing to discount the multiplayer after being rushed by a Vaygr strike craft horde: don't. Playing with other people is enormously fun once you grasp the layers of strategy involved and the counters that exist, with sessions frequently lasting for hours filled with intense firefights. It's finding good players that will be the hard part, given that  I'm assuming Mac and PC users won't be able to play together.

#17 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 12:33 PM

Two people near the top of the thread said they couldn't get the game to run under 10.3.5 (which may have nothing to do with the game not running). How about asking them for crash logs or sending them to your support people instead of focusing on their wording.
doesn't anyone read the troubleshooting forum?  :-  I figured out that Unsanity's ShapeShifter haxie was causing some conflict (atleast for me), so after having Shapeshifter exclude Homeworld 2 from it's list, everything works fine.

So far i'm having a blast, playig space commander is alot of fun :).  The difficulty of the game is a welcome challenge for me, the story is great and so are the graphics, even if they are on low (i can play just fine on max resolution though).
"Nothing here but us text"

#18 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 03:46 PM

How are multiplayer games set up and joined? Does it have some sort of built in way to find games? Or do you have to type in addresses manually?

#19 petey700

petey700

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 04:04 PM

In looking at Relic's site I noticed the sheer numbers of units available. Do you really get the chance to build all those different types of ships, especially some of the utility ships, or is the combat so fast you just build 2 or 3 or 4 units in mass and try to rush the computer ala Warcraft III?
Dwight Shrute: "The showing of teeth is a sign of submission among primates. Everytime somebody smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for mercy."

#20 Tirinal

Tirinal

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 04:22 PM

In looking at Relic's site I noticed the sheer numbers of units available. Do you really get the chance to build all those different types of ships, especially some of the utility ships, or is the combat so fast you just build 2 or 3 or 4 units in mass and try to rush the computer ala Warcraft III?

It depends. Battles in HW2 are very much based on counters, on positioning, and on timing rather than sheer micro and speed of the wrist. The types of units you use is very circumstantial so I don't want to throw out a number, but I will say this: if you tailor a build order for a specific unit type(s) and don't deviate from that build order no matter what happens, you will lose. Badly.